Chelsea Sack Graham Potter

My Blood Is Blue

Another thought on today. Potter seems unable to get the players to perform at "110%" - Spurs won so many duels and just looked like they wanted things more. BUT  - our team is so devoid of leaders it's untrue. How is Ten Hag succeeding at Man United? He brought in experienced leaders in Casemiro and Martinez who are street fighters and play the ugly side of football. Who do we have who can do that? 

I can't think of anyone who has that in their locker. Rüdiger was the best example - Kovacic too but he is clearly mourning the loss of Tuchel. Thiago Silva is a leader by example but not a true "get in their faces" aggro kind of leader.

What's most worrying for me is - are ever going to look to sign this profile of player any more or are we going to continue to go for the strategy of prioritising finding the best young talent in world football above us all?

Does Potter even have a say in transfers at all? Ten Hag came in and said - I want Martinez, I want CasemIro, I want Antony. All the right type of characters or players that Ten Hag had worked with before.

Spurs have Hojberg - who did we have on the pitch who could match him today? We need certain players with the right mentality and it feels like we have not prioritised that at all with our January signings. These kind of players are the glue that link the talented individuals together and get everyone to raise their game. We are completely devoid of that.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

From the start I didn't think GP was the right fit for the job but was prepared to be proved wrong and wanted to be proved wrong.

I vaguely thought he would be ok but not the one to lead Chelsea onward and upward,

At the beginning I had no idea that we would be where we are at this time.

It's the horrendous injury list, it's a new style, It's a rebuild with players needing to adjust, it's El Nino, it's that sun strange thingy, it's the unrest in Parliament, it's the moon,,, what it isn't is a coach who can't do the job at Chelsea.

What do we know?

Anyway don't worry..The Championship ain't so bad...a lot of us have "been there" whatever it was called at the time.

In the cold light of day I think every sensible Chelsea fan understood that the firing of past coaches was basically correct at the time, Not liked or supported maybe but basically about right,

GP is surviving with the worst record ever it seems..why?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kev61 said:

Like who?

Personally, I’d do whatever necessary to get TT back. This is a better squad than he had to work with. A couple of improvements in the summer and the “disagreements over recruitment” would be a moot point, as we will already have what we need for the next 5 years. He’s had 6 months off. There is now also a football board in between manager and owner, if he feels it necessary. He’s unlikely to come back without a grovelling apology and I’m not sure that is on the cards, so it’s a 99% non-starter, but never say never. It’s difficult to find too many other available candidates at this point of the season. Steve Holland? I think Southgate is pretty much the FA’s nodding dog in that relationship and that SH does all the dirty work. Very used to having to work with what he is given. Overachieving. Knows the club inside out. Set pieces. It would be a risk, but less so than most suggestions on this thread so far. Pochettino would probably do quite well but I can’t get past my raging dislike of him. Wait til the summer and get Simeone to come and shout at the players? Might be fun for 18 months. Ditto Conte Mk2. Ditto Jose Mk 3.  Those last 3 would turn the ship around, but maybe all 3 feel like a bit of a step backwards?

To take charge of an ambitious project like the Chelsea project you need to get an elite coach. Someone to add value to the project and someone who is at the absolute top of their game.

Mourinho right now isn't that guy. Neither is Tuchel. 

Any top level coach should jump at this job. Ambitious owners, top tier players... my pick would be Spalletti in the summer.

38 minutes ago, Trini_Blue said:

Mourinho right now isn't that guy.

Why?

Neither is Tuchel. 

Again, why?

my pick would be Spalletti in the summer.

As good a shout as any, I guess. Still intrigued by why you wouldn't want Tuchel or Mourinho?

2 hours ago, Trini_Blue said:

To take charge of an ambitious project like the Chelsea project you need to get an elite coach. Someone to add value to the project and someone who is at the absolute top of their game.

Mourinho right now isn't that guy. Neither is Tuchel. 

Any top level coach should jump at this job. Ambitious owners, top tier players... my pick would be Spalletti in the summer.

Before we do anything the first thing that needs addressing is the mentality, that's where a Mourinho or Tuchel have their immediate value. They set a standard and a mindset that's expected, that trickles down to the playing group and is then seen on the pitch. 

Combining that with tactical acumen, man management, problem solving, etc is where the herd gets thinned. While I do like Spalletti, he'll be 64 in like a weeks time. That might be a sticking point if the goal is to still find someone that can build something moving forward. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

Why?

Again, why?

As good a shout as any, I guess. Still intrigued by why you wouldn't want Tuchel or Mourinho?

Ref Mourinho. We all know how it will pan out, but let’s put that to one side for a moment.

In the last 7/8 years of football, which includes his last three jobs. What does he have on his most recent CV to suggest him? Very little is the honest answer.

Yes, we all know what he achieved here and at Porto , Inter and Madrid. Its going back almost a decade of football though.

His CV across the last few seasons is s not necessarily bad, but pretty average and it’s backwards comparing it to the decade before.

Chelsea fans that want him and surely living in a romantic nostalgia driven dream. 

1 hour ago, xceleryx said:

Before we do anything the first thing that needs addressing is the mentality, that's where a Mourinho or Tuchel have their immediate value. They set a standard and a mindset that's expected, that trickles down to the playing group and is then seen on the pitch. 

Combining that with tactical acumen, man management, problem solving, etc is where the herd gets thinned. While I do like Spalletti, he'll be 64 in like a weeks time. That might be a sticking point if the goal is to still find someone that can build something moving forward. 

Whilst Spalleti has been a top manager in Serie A for a number of years now. I just don’t see him as a Chelsea manager. I would also say that majority of his competitors have been bang average in Italy this season, which probably makes the current divide , by which advertises his achievements in a somewhat unrealistic light.

Napoli have been consistently good, whilst the rest have been consistently inconsistent.

I don’t understand why Deschamps never seems to get a mention. He has league titles as a manager, he has a small Chelsea link. He has achieved success as manager of France, despite having to manage difficult crisis situations in that role on/off over the last few years.

He is greatly respected from his playing days. I find it hard to believe having been France manager a number of years now, that he doesn’t have the desire to have a top league club job again in his career.

Yet he hardly ever seems to get a mention for any big European jobs that come up.

11 minutes ago, Thiago97 said:

I don’t understand why Deschamps never seems to get a mention.

Really? As Chelsea head coach? I wouldn't, but that's me.

He has league titles as a manager, he has a small Chelsea link.

One season, as a player.

He is greatly respected from his playing days.

I'm not so sure. He was ok, not not a lot more.

I find it hard to believe having been France manager a number of years now, that he doesn’t have the desire to have a top league club job again in his career.

Perhaps he does. So?

• Agree 1

Unfortunately, I don’t think Potter will be gone before the end of the season. I have no idea why, but if he was going to go, surely the trigger would have been pulled by now?

IF he were to go, I’ve no idea where we go as manager. We need someone  that can come in and make an instant impact, in order to ensure our survival but who is also then good enough to be a longer term manager for us. Who fits that profile?!

Alternatively we go for an interim for the remainder of the season, to just settle the ship and grind out some results, but again, I’ve know idea who that is. Who is the modern day Hiddink? 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

Really? As Chelsea head coach? I wouldn't, but that's me.

One season, as a player.

I'm not so sure. He was ok, not not a lot more.

Perhaps he does. So?

Seems a number of pointless quotes in here MT. I know he was here for one season only, that's why I said small link. He was greatly respected as a player, playing in a role that required discipline and football intelligence. His CV and trophies as a player, but also a manager, suggests his was more than 'ok'

As for the last quote. I'm not sure why you are petulantly quoting with So ?

Why not just say I don't really fancy him and outline reasons.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Thiago97 said:

Seems a number of pointless quotes in here MT.

Really? Obviously I don't think so.

I know he was here for one season only, that's why I said small link.

That's good then.

He was greatly respected as a player, playing in a role that required discipline and football intelligence. His CV and trophies as a player, but also a manager, suggests his was more than 'ok'

'At Chelsea'. His time 'at Chelsea'. Where he was 'ok'. That's my opinion.

3 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

Really? Obviously I don't think so.

That's good then.

'At Chelsea'. His time 'at Chelsea'. Where he was 'ok'.

Thanks for adding such insight into the debate.

You don't have to be Mr Cantankerous 24/7. No wonder you want Mourinho back 🙂

• Like 1

I think the most damning thing about Potter's tenure here is that I don't think any of us can say what exactly it is he's trying to do .

Is he setting us up to play possession football?

Is he favouring counter attacking ?

Is he playing the percentages ? 

None of us know as it's a complete disasterclass out there.

10 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

Luis Enrique. Absolute no brainer.

I wouldn’t have any issues with Enrique. I think Enrique , Poch have to be towards the top of the pecking order. I would throw Deschamps in there as another option. Two of those three are out of work though, so easier deals to make happen.

I like Thomas Frank, but his chances all but gone really after the Potter experiment not working. It needs to someone with gravitas and respect for what they have done as a player and manager. For those reasons , Conte also has to enter the equation as he will likely be available in the summer.

Though the job spec will need to be blatantly and clearly detailed out with Conte. If he not interested in working in that, then don’t take the job. The thought of watching his counter attack give up possession on a weekly basis does not excite me though. He can be one dimensional. 

13 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

I remember us playing Rotherham, they beat us 6-0 if memory serves me. 

You're memory is fine:

Oct 31 1981 - League division two - Rotherham - Chelsea 6-0

Our team, then:

image.png.88b814625b7ff751e54db60c12b89851.png

Enjoy:

Edited by asvaberg

2 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Unfortunately, I don’t think Potter will be gone before the end of the season. I have no idea why, but if he was going to go, surely the trigger would have been pulled by now?

IF he were to go, I’ve no idea where we go as manager. We need someone  that can come in and make an instant impact, in order to ensure our survival but who is also then good enough to be a longer term manager for us. Who fits that profile?!

Alternatively we go for an interim for the remainder of the season, to just settle the ship and grind out some results, but again, I’ve know idea who that is. Who is the modern day Hiddink? 

Just get an interim. Stops the slump and we can start again in the summer.

13 hours ago, chrisb said:

This is pretty damning…

It's interesting to see Hoddle so low down too as my memory of the time was that we were a tad gutted when England came a knocking. It was the turning point for me. It led to the likes of Ruud and Luca joining the club, getting into the Champions League and attracting Roman. Funny how subsequent events alter our perspective of the past.