Chelsea Sack Graham Potter

My Blood Is Blue

7 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

Why?

Again, why?

As good a shout as any, I guess. Still intrigued by why you wouldn't want Tuchel or Mourinho?

Mourinho hasn't won anything of note since 2014. He's not in his prime anymore. 

And Tuchel was already fired for a valid reason. What's the board supposed to do? Tell him they made a mistake when deep down they would know they didn't?

42 minutes ago, FrankLampard8 said:

Why would Conte possibly be in the equation? I don't think he would want the job and neither should we want him. He is he a problem waiting to happen with his spikey, sulky and combative demeanour often towards his own club and board - literally the last thing this club needs right now. We have just bought a host of young talents which he will have no interest in working with and he will want to rebuild the squad again to fit his 3-5-2 formation which arguably we have just made a huge effort to move away from. Throw in turgid football, arguably he has been pretty ineffective at Spurs so far, the fact he likely has a bad taste in his mouth about how it ended at Chelsea and the fact that he is apparently pining for a move back to Italy to be with his family. Other than that? Top appointment.

Conte ticks several boxes, irrespective of what other baggage he also brings. Is he the man to lead us for 5, 6 or 7 years? Pretty unlikely. However, is he capable of instilling the sort of mentality and attitude needed to compete at the top? Absolutely. Has he built a successful side before? Yes. Is he tactically capable? Once again, yes. 

And if you look at a lot of his baggage it hinges on not being backed in the market. With the way things are setup here now and ownership wanting their manager to be a contributor in other areas it would suit the desire of Conte. He'll also be out of contract come the summer, so if we're having to pay Potter off a free replacement carries considerable appeal. 

As much as I do like Conte personally, he probably isn't first choice in my list of candidates, but we should be doing our due diligence if we're going to rectify this situation properly. 

6 hours ago, xceleryx said:

Before we do anything the first thing that needs addressing is the mentality, that's where a Mourinho or Tuchel have their immediate value. They set a standard and a mindset that's expected, that trickles down to the playing group and is then seen on the pitch. 

Combining that with tactical acumen, man management, problem solving, etc is where the herd gets thinned. While I do like Spalletti, he'll be 64 in like a weeks time. That might be a sticking point if the goal is to still find someone that can build something moving forward. 

The age thing could be an issue but Spalletti looks like he takes care of himself. 

Re: the mentality.. the way his teams play and are set up, we would win football matches. I don't believe that Mourinho alone can develop a team in terms of winning personality. Ten Hag is doing it, arteta as well. Klopp, Conte and Guardiola did it previously. Xavi is doing it at Barcelona.

1 minute ago, Trini_Blue said:

And Tuchel was already fired for a valid reason. What's the board supposed to do? Tell him they made a mistake when deep down they would know they didn't?

TBH Mourinho was denied the opportunity at Spurs. Prior to that managed arguably one of the worst United sides seen in the modern day. And then took over a Roma side that hasn't been relevant for god knows how long now. 

He's not really been in a position to compete for anything serious either.

3 minutes ago, Trini_Blue said:

I can concur that neither Mourinho or Tuchel are particularly realistic.

On the Jose front - it would be a fan favourite appointment rather than anything that is likely to work long-term. He is past his best although he may deliver short-term success given his affinity with the club.

Seems unlikely Boehly would go for such a short-term appointment.

Tuchel seems unrealistic as he fell out so badly with the board.

You're probably right that Jose is probably no longer an absolutely elite, top level manager (rather the tier below) - but you're completely wrong that Tuchel isn't in that top bracket.

In any case neither are realistic appointments so we will have to look elsewhere.

2 minutes ago, Trini_Blue said:

The age thing could be an issue but Spalletti looks like he takes care of himself. 

Re: the mentality.. the way his teams play and are set up, we would win football matches. I don't believe that Mourinho alone can develop a team in terms of winning personality. Ten Hag is doing it, arteta as well. Klopp, Conte and Guardiola did it previously. Xavi is doing it at Barcelona.

He can look after himself all he likes, he'll still be 64 next month. With the demographic of our squad and signings, we're years away from still being a genuine competitor should things go smoothly. By the time all of that happens he'll be at a point where retirement is likely to be on the cards. If he was a few years younger then I could see it, but just not anymore. 

You must have missed when Mourinho created that environment during his first spell here, one we reaped the benefits from for years to come once he was gone. 

I just can’t see them sacking him. Why go to all the effort of sacking TT, paying the compensation to get Potter in, then get his key men in to align with him, only to get rid of him?

I get it. We’re all hurting. We’re just not used to this. Poor results, no signs of a vision or process to get behind yet it doesn’t result in the sacking of the manager.

We all wanted consistency with our management but in all reality, I don’t think we do. We just want to win and don’t care how it happens.

The previous 20 years were stuff of legend and we’ve made some amazing memories along the way but we just have to accept that we won’t be challenging for a while.

Just now, BMox81 said:

I just can’t see them sacking him. Why go to all the effort of sacking TT, paying the compensation to get Potter in, then get his key men in to align with him, only to get rid of him?

I get it. We’re all hurting. We’re just not used to this. Poor results, no signs of a vision or process to get behind yet it doesn’t result in the sacking of the manager.

We all wanted consistency with our management but in all reality, I don’t think we do. We just want to win and don’t care how it happens.

The previous 20 years were stuff of legend and we’ve made some amazing memories along the way but we just have to accept that we won’t be challenging for a while.

I think you're correct to a degree , however , if anyone could actually see any evidence that we are working to a plan under Potter then to a degree the heat would be off , he says he's got players who aren't match sharp and then gives them three days off , he says he's got players that need integrating into the side and doesn't play them , players that won us games on their own in the past are being hampered by his tactics , players are actively regressing under his coaching .

Lets have patience with the next guy .

14 minutes ago, BMox81 said:

There's quite a considerable middle ground. Sacking a clearly wildly out of his depth manager doesn't mean you just want to win or don't want consistency 

It's at the stage where people just want win it's that bad!

• Agree 1

53 minutes ago, exiledblue said:

Leeds will be the next better organised team we play. Its a dumb excuse he keeps rolling out as it means he cant organise a team as well as teams, with or without coaches (permanant, temporary or stand in).

If Team GP have anything between their ears, they will spend the week coaching the starting 11 against the spud's subject to injury for the next two matches, to get some continuity and hopefully a basic game plan. With the exception of enzo who looks knackered BTW, the team against the spud's out played Dortmund in their own back yard, and also were all part of the team which finished 3rd last season.

TB January extravaganza need to be benched for the foreseeable future 

Everything everyone is saying is completely valid, I agree with it all. I’ve said countless times that if I could see the vision he’s trying to create then fair play. But I/we haven’t.

But you get rid of Potter and it’s yet another new manager having to deal with the previous managers (clubs) players, and all the current stuff going on with the club. When is the merry go round going to end?

I don’t know, I want us to be better, I want us to be different than before but maybe we just aren’t that club.

Look none of us at this very moment want to hear the sentence "long term project" I know I don't, but it's necessary for the long term success and future of our club.

Potter has to be sacked right now based on clear evidence he cannot handle this job or the so called long vision that Boehly and co thought he could.

I don't think the issue is they would lose face admitting they made a mistake, the issue is they still need someone who can fulfill what they have planned. They have agreed for the first 10 years that no dividends would be expected from their investment, they also said they would invest 1.6 billion pounds in player recruitment and ground development. That one is certainly looking right by the investment so far in players.

This long winded post is a way of saying that logically sacking Potter right now and finding someone who can do the freaking job long term is very very difficult. You would then think well, sack him at the end of the season and use this time to find the right person, makes sense right 🙂

To us fans we think this run of form is dangerous and may be irreversible because of being dragged into this area where we hear the word relegation. So they want a long term manager no matter what and we want someone to come in for 14 games and keep the ship afloat until the end of the season, we then say goodbye thank you very much for a good job well done.

There is the rub, I just don't know who this interim is and I darn sure Boehly and co don't know either.

I think they will take the risk and leave Potter in charge, even though we think differently.

1 hour ago, xceleryx said:

TBH Mourinho was denied the opportunity at Spurs. Prior to that managed arguably one of the worst United sides seen in the modern day. And then took over a Roma side that hasn't been relevant for god knows how long now. 

He's not really been in a position to compete for anything serious either.

Well, Mourinho also gets into a lot of fights and from seeing Potter, I'm not so sure that's what the board realistically wants right now.

I genuinely like Mourinho, but if I'm appointing a manager at my company to oversee a long term project (5 to 10 years), working with sensitive staff and building something sustainable - Mourinho isn't going to be that guy.

Actually Graham Potter would be if he could have gotten some results!

Potter flopping hard doesn't mean he didn't have many of the needed attributes. He's like a Southgate who isn't able to get any results.

41 minutes ago, Phoenix Blue said:

There is the rub, I just don't know who this interim is and I darn sure Boehly and co don't know either.

I think they will take the risk and leave Potter in charge, even though we think differently.

Interims can be anyone with some half decent experience though.

The point of getting an interim is simply not to get relegated - to have someone who can hold the fort while we consider our next move. The problem with sticking it out with Potter is that the players and he may still believe he is there for the long-term. Having a clean break means a sigh of relief as the Potter era is officially over - what comes next, who knows? But at least there is clarity over the end of Potter and definite new beginnings.

It's worked wonders for us before. I don't know why it seems such an alien / controversial idea on here.

46 minutes ago, BMox81 said:

Everything everyone is saying is completely valid, I agree with it all. I’ve said countless times that if I could see the vision he’s trying to create then fair play. But I/we haven’t.

But you get rid of Potter and it’s yet another new manager having to deal with the previous managers (clubs) players, and all the current stuff going on with the club. When is the merry go round going to end?

I don’t know, I want us to be better, I want us to be different than before but maybe we just aren’t that club.

Not to mention all the staff put in place like the Winstanley guy from Brighton. A guy supposedly put there specifically to work WITH Potter. 

Sacking Potter is a huge call - a probably necessary call - but I can see why they're hesitant.

1 minute ago, Trini_Blue said:

Actually Graham Potter would be if he could have gotten some results!

Potter flopping hard doesn't mean he didn't have many of the needed attributes. He's like a Southgate who isn't able to get any results.

Put the Dalai Lama in charge - guarantee he gets on with everyone and has many of the "needed attributes" too. Doesn't mean he's built to take our football club to the top.

1 hour ago, BMox81 said:

Look what Ten Hag has done at Man U. We have a squad that can challenge in the next season or two with the right manager in charge.

They can sack Potter tomorrow. The only reason they won't is they really believe in him and the project and are not willing to let that go easily. It's no more complicated than that.

But results will likely continue like this and get so bad that he is driven out of the club by the fanbase, whether the owners like it or not.

If we lose to Leeds and Dortmund - good luck keeping him in charge with that atmosphere.

• Agree 1

Just now, Trini_Blue said:

Sacking Potter is a huge call - a probably necessary call - but I can see why they're hesitant.

Because the club have actually hired some people who know football and they are probably weighing up all the options, as the board will not want to get his fingers burnt again, with any potential success not being available until the summer.

If they are data driven then its the return of the Tubby as the interim, with that said he managed to guide Toon Toon into the championship.

We seem to be back at a point of confusion among many on here around the likelihood of Potter being sacked.

Will Potter be sacked if we lose every game before the end of the season?

Yes - clearly. He will be sacked before we are relegated.

The question is then - when is the tipping point for the owners to say, enough is enough?

If we lose the next two games? The next four? 

We have a lot of home games coming up and if we keep losing the atmosphere will become impossible.

But it's just not true to say that it is impossible that Potter gets sacked in the next few weeks.

We have seen what happens before with low confidence and a losing run and this is likely to continue.

The owners will likely be left with no choice but to pull the plug early to save face and keep us up.

15 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

We seem to be back at a point of confusion among many on here around the likelihood of Potter being sacked.

The question is then - when is the tipping point for the owners to say, enough is enough?

We have a lot of home games coming up and if we keep losing the atmosphere will become impossible.

But it's just not true to say that it is impossible that Potter gets sacked in the next few weeks.

We have seen what happens before with low confidence and a losing run and this is likely to continue.

The owners will likely be left with no choice but to pull the plug early to save face and keep us up.

As I said earlier Max there lies the risk, I agree with you we should sack him asap and yea let's get an interim in and save the day?

Sounds perfect doesn't it, to the old regime of course that would happen, this ownership is a completely differently animal.

1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

Felix and Ziyech feature in the worst players of the week apparently.

It took Potter one month to coach Felix into mediocrity 

What a guy.

Whereas Ziyech did it all by himself.  Shame we didn't genuinely bite PSG's hand off to get rid of him.  Not sure i've ever seen a lazier player at Chelsea and if Potter is going to keep picking the likes of him and Havertz stinking the place out each week instead of trying to blood some of these new lads, then he deserves every bit of criticism he gets tbh.  Team selections have been essentially self-harm of late. 

Felix looks a good player, but if as I suspect he's yet another of this modern breed of AMs with huge price tags and a distinct lack of goals and assists in him, then he should be bouncing back to Atletico in May.  We've had more than our fair share of them thanks. 

23 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

I think he goes if we lose or scrap an out played lucky draw on Saturday against Leeds.

I think they will look for a bounce upturn in the Dortmund game, probably with Anthony Barry in charge.

Personally , I would rather an interim until end of the season. Then give the new man a full summer/pre season to work with the squad.

Maybe Barry is capable for a few months. Can’t see many candidates out there in short term. I know people will laugh, but Redknapp for 3 months wins games and brings a feel good factor to the players and club. 

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Thiago97 said:

I think he goes if we lose or scrap an out played lucky draw on Saturday against Leeds.

I think they will look for a bounce upturn in the Dortmund game, probably with Anthony Barry in charge.

Personally , I would rather an interim until end of the season. Then give the new man a full summer/pre season to work with the squad.

Maybe Barry is capable for a few months. Can’t see many candidates out there in short term. I know people will laugh, but Redknapp for 3 months wins games and brings a feel good factor to the players and club. 

As much as I would like to see Potter leave , I wouldn't touch Harry with somebody else's ten foot pole.