Chelsea Sack Graham Potter

My Blood Is Blue

13 hours ago, Max Fowler said:

Guardiola says every manager needs time. Why are we basing our decision on him?!?!

It's also being overlooked that it absolutely suits Pep for rival teams to have managers that aren't up to it.  When he spoke about that, they'd beaten us twice in 3 days, scoring 5 and conceding 0.  I doubt he was that worried. 

He also said Sarri was good. And we all saw that with our own eyes.

10 hours ago, Original 21 said:

The fact that since Potter’s arrival we’ve gone from potential top four challengers to potential relegation candidates is totally unacceptable and shows the extent of the disaster that employing Potter has turned into. Everything from team selection, tactics, game management, demeanour, results, performances, has been shocking and inept. There is no way Potter can survive this and the cost to the club in reputation, finances, compensation, sponsorship, cannot be underestimated. Soon, the Board are going to realise just how bloody awful hiring Potter has been and they’ll have to sack him before he does more damage to the club’s finances and credibility. It’s just a matter of time. It might not be against Leeds or Dortmund. But we’re just a moment away from another morale-crushing defeat. Then it will all be over.

Agree with this 100%.  They're now at the stage of achieving the wrong thing by trying to do the right thing and give him time.  What we've seen recently has been nothing short of pathetic and is causing a lot of damage to a new group of young players. 

9 hours ago, xceleryx said:

As for Potter I was firmly against his appointment at the time on the basis of not feeling he had that "x-factor" about him to really compete at the pointy end. He's a good manager to a certain level, just not the one we've generally competed at or wish to aspire to reach again. If we were intent on taking a gamble on a more unproven option I was a big advocate of Ange Postecoglou which I made know on the old forum. Maybe there's a bit of bias on my behalf wanting to see a fellow Aussie making noise with the elite, but having watched his managerial career for years he ticked every desirable box and came withs with that "x-factor". Even looking at it objectively, he was always a more exciting candidate imo.

100% with you on Ange.  Doing a really good job at Celtic and seems to focus on the important stuff like drilling his players and maintaining an identity of what he wants his team to be.  It may only be the Scottish league, but he's recruited really well for what he wants his team to be, acts like a grown up in front of the media and has adapted to a new continent/country remarkably well. 

9 hours ago, xceleryx said:

And no player in Europe's Top 5 Leagues is being dribbled past more times per game (3) than Enzo Fernandez, since his move to Chelsea. 

I really like Enzo and think he's going to be terrific for us, but he needs a proper partner in midfield (or even two) - he can't be expected to populate the whole area on his own.  RLC may be big, but he's not top quality in there. 

Edited by Bert19

1 hour ago, Thiago97 said:

It is a discussion that can go back and forth like you said. I would make two comments though, Mourinho has been given a bit of money at Roma. Not huge investment to necessarily turn them into champions, but he spent a chunk relatively when he took over…….and they are pretty much where they were when Fonseca was in charge. So it’s a difficult debate to say Mourinho has actually improved Roma, all this whilst Juve are in a complete transition period.

I don’t know the ins and outs of why Zaniola has left…..he is/was the best attacking player at Roma and seemed keen to get out under Mourinho. I believe contract situation also a factor in this, but it’s a common baggage that comes with Mourinho. 

He did spend a bit during his first season but it was more of a case of needing to do so just to make numbers, with about half the spending being on Tammy. They lost Dzeko for peanuts, got rid of Pau Lopez in goal, and several others including the likes of Pedro, Under, Mayoral, Bruno Peres, Juan Jesus and Fazio. All of which played regularly enough to need replacements. Then if you look at this season they spent peanuts and relied heavily on free transfers and a couple of loans to bolster out the side. It's not a great shock to anyone to see them sort of hover around in the same sort of position. 

Zaniolo was killed by injuries and attitude, nothing more. He's also not as good as the hype surrounding him suggest, or at least what he buys into. 

11 minutes ago, Bert19 said:

100% with you on Ange.  Doing a really good job at Celtic and seems to focus on the important stuff like drilling his players and maintaining an identity of what he wants his team to be.  It may only be the Scottish league, but he's recruited really well for what he wants his team to be, acts like a grown up in front of the media and has adapted to a new continent/country remarkably well. 

He's pretty much been a success at even club he's stopped at. He was excellent at Brisbane Roar, did well at Melbourne Victory in a shorter stint before taking over the Australian national team. Did well there once again, ends up in Japan and wins some more, then moves to Europe and turns Celtic into a dominate side that play some seriously exciting football. He's got a clear blueprint for how he wants to play, the types of players he needs, and then has the mentality and media skills to get his players behind him. 

Would love to see Enzo play the sort of role Mooy is doing right now for Celtic for example. 

15 minutes ago, Bert19 said:

I really like Enzo and think he's going to be terrific for us, but he needs a proper partner in midfield (or even two) - he can't be expected to populate the whole area on his own.  RLC may be big, but he's not top quality in there. 

Oh, I agree. Wasn't a stab at Enzo but just to showcase that we're completely underutilising a player that can provide so much more if only we had someone that could be responsible enough to sit. Right now he's been treated like Jorginho, just with slightly more mobility and a better passer. 

2 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

What if the club asked Silva to take over as player-coach for the remainder of the season?

As good a choice as anyone for an interim period, but puts a real strain on a player - dropping players and having to play alongside others. Maybe JT being the bad guy against Silva’s good guy?

Edit; Just read a report saying Silva is out for up to 6 weeks with a knee ligament injury, perfect timing - don’t look the gift horse in the mouth Mr Boehly!!

2 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

Maybe his Mrs?

She certainly appears to have the passion and the ‘balls’ - metaphorically speaking of course. It might be nice to see the current coach match her levels of passion. Just to show he cares a bit, the passive demeanour displayed just seems ‘flat’, like our performances really

Edited by east lower
Possible injury news
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, xceleryx said:

Would love to see Enzo play the sort of role Mooy is doing right now for Celtic for example. 

Oh, I agree. Wasn't a stab at Enzo but just to showcase that we're completely underutilising a player that can provide so much more if only we had someone that could be responsible enough to sit. Right now he's been treated like Jorginho, just with slightly more mobility and a better passer. 

Shows just how little Potter understands this level of football, pairing Enzo and RLC in a pivot is quite frankly embarrassing. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, xceleryx said:

No

he's knackered and should not have been throw into the lions den from day one. TBH he should have been a buy and loan back until the end of the season.

The club could have done with Jorginho for the part of the season.. Team GP have decimated the team morale and how they function. Between now and the season end players like jorginho and most of the remaining squad which got us 3rd last season need to play week in week out. Mudyk, Madueke are not first team caliber for the current situation. Only the old guard can take this club to 44pts regardless of the coach

2 minutes ago, ROTG said:

No

he's knackered and should not have been throw into the lions den from day one. TBH he should have been a buy and loan back until the end of the season.

The club could have done with Jorginho for the part of the season.. Team GP have decimated the team morale and how they function. Between now and the season end players like jorginho and most of the remaining squad which got us 3rd last season need to play week in week out. Mudyk, Madueke are not first team caliber for the current situation. Only the old guard can take this club to 44pts regardless of the coach

Why 44 points?

1 hour ago, martin1905 said:

Shows just how little Potter understands this level of football, pairing Enzo and RLC in a pivot is quite frankly embarrassing. 

Bit unfair. What other option does he have? The answer is none. Not if you want a player to sit more and have the technical ability to play there. 

19 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

A debate I never expected to see on these forums 😔

Although we are in relegation form, the 10 points Tuchel got before he was sacked should be enough to see us over the line. We have Leeds, Leicester, Everton and Wolves in the next 6 games, each of which is a 6 pointer.