Chelsea Sack Graham Potter

My Blood Is Blue

7 hours ago, ChelseaJambo said:

Anyone could (or should be able to) win the league at a canter with the financial disparity Celtic currently have, so it's hard to know how good or bad a manager he is really. He's quite stand-offish with the press in my view. I like his style of play and he's obviously done well elsewhere before, but I'd actually say what Gerrard achieved with lesser resources was far more impressive (and I doubt anyone would be advocating for him to take over). 

Personally, I think he'd get found out pretty quickly when competing against other teams with equal or greater resources at EPL level.

There is of course as you alluded though a hint of SPL rivalry to my view.

He is a good manager, and he's shown that across his other jobs with much less financial backing than he's had at Celtic. Of course, that's happened in lesser leagues but the nature of his achievements in a contextual sense to the level he was competing at have been huge. 

Celtic have also purchased smartly, especially utilising Ange's knowledge of the Japanese market to find some real gems. 

I'm not of the opinion he'd be found out quickly competing against other sides with equal or greater resources. He may not have the immediate success that he's managed across his other clubs, but he's certainly got enough about him to mix it with the best if allowed the time to build what he needs. Even though Celtic got humped by Real Madrid in the Champions League they did cause them problems, as they did Leipzig despite the disparity. 

I'd have still preferred him over Potter if I had my choice, but here we are. 

7 hours ago, xceleryx said:

I'd have still preferred him over Potter if I had my choice, but here we are. 

I would not be surprised if Ange is throw into being one of the candidates should Team GP be shown the door. I cannot see a new permanent coach being hired until the summer even of Team GP are released early, as TB and his sporting team need to get the next appointment right.

IMO it will not be one of the old guard name being knocked around

34 minutes ago, ROTG said:

I would not be surprised if Ange is throw into being one of the candidates should Team GP be shown the door. I cannot see a new permanent coach being hired until the summer even of Team GP are released early, as TB and his sporting team need to get the next appointment right.

IMO it will not be one of the old guard name being knocked around

I'd be surprised if Ange left Celtic before seasons end. He was linked with both the Leeds and Leicester jobs recently, but if a bigger finish comes in for him in the summer I could certainly see him taking that opportunity should the fit be right. 

If TB and co opt to move on from Potter in the summer and are still geared towards building something under a new manager then it would make sense to look at more unconventional names. While they'll be some big names on the market we've ran through several of them already, that may rule them out even with the ownership change. The reality though is that there's not many exciting names out there in general. Ange is one of the more promising fresher names, even putting my Aussie bias aside. I just really like how he operates and his football. 

20 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Much has been said , mostly by the sage that is Potter about how Arsenal stuck by Arteta when he first started at Arsenal 

here are the stats for those that enjoy that type of thing . Respect the process.potart.thumb.jpg.62d5470515c19f4866000cd4c09ae14c.jpg

The two situations in terms of performances and results and not really that comparable. I get why the Arteta line is being thrown around, but they were not as bad as we are right now. You could also see what Arteta was doing and the horrible culture he inherited and had to change. 
That’s not really the situation here. I stood up for Arteta numerous times, because he could get performances from Arsenal last season, like winning at the bridge as an example.

We are simply not getting those performances. I have asking for patience with Potter and thats purely because I was confident that we would come back post World Cup a different team. I felt that was a key reset button and the situation would improve after that break. If anything , it has got slightly worse though, barring a decent performance at Anfield and good spells against West Ham and Fulham away.

If we were showing the inconsistency of Arsenal early on under Arteta , I would gladly give him more time. For example , if we were picking up something like 4points every 3 matches, then I think many Chelsea fans would give him time and let him try and build something. The reality is that we are not close to 4pts every 3 matches, he isn’t getting performances like Arteta was with Arsenal. So whilst the media and club like the Arteta barometer, it’s not really an accurate one in my opinion. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, Trini_Blue said:

You must be living in a bubble and excluding all the social media stuff.

Death threats against him and his family. Calling for him to be fired. Labeling him the worst manager in the club's history. Par for the course, right?

We'll agree to disagree. 

The social media stuff is almost inconsequential to anyone sensible. Anyone can type or tweet or send an email. Reality is the majority of those come from the Middle East, Africa and god knows where so those people will never actually come in to contact with Potter or the club. It is a lot harder to ignore 40,000 people booing and shouting abuse in person. That's what really shapes the mood around the club.

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, Trini_Blue said:

A frankly moronic view. If only this was the 1960s and people couldn't see all the games on TV or gauge the atmosphere around an organization using social media platforms from actual supporters. 

I'm sure the atmosphere must be great around Potter right now. He doesn't look like he's under severe pressure at all. Right? I mean, it's not like he's spoken about it? 

Are you part of that "true" category of supporters able to share an opinion because you attend games regularly? I only ask because, well, I want to.

But then again, surely I shouldnt be entitled to have an opinion if I don't pay for a ticket, right? 

Oh, and I'll respond how I please to someone replying to my post. The question is, why have you reared your head? 

It's not about being a "true" supporter. The fact is that being there in person has a far greater impact on the atmosphere around the club and the feeling transmitted to manager, players and owners. If everyone on social media is spouting vitriol but the fans in the ground are still behind the manager I can assure you the voices that can be heard in person carry far greater weight. Social media can be shut off - the voices right there in your face can't. 

• Agree 2

7 minutes ago, Thiago97 said:

The two situations in terms of performances and results and not really that comparable. I get why the Arteta line is being thrown around, but they were not as bad as we are right now. You could also see what Arteta was doing and the horrible culture he inherited and had to change. 
That’s not really the situation here. I stood up for Arteta numerous times, because he could get performances from Arsenal last season, like winning at the bridge as an example.

We are simply not getting those performances. I have asking for patience with Potter and thats purely because I was confident that we would come back post World Cup a different team. I felt that was a key reset button and the situation would improve after that break. If anything , it has got slightly worse though, barring a decent performance at Anfield and good spells against West Ham and Fulham away.

If we were showing the inconsistency of Arsenal early on under Arteta , I would gladly give him more time. For example , if we were picking up something like 4points every 3 matches, then I think many Chelsea fans would give him time and let him try and build something. The reality is that we are not close to 4pts every 3 matches, he isn’t getting performances like Arteta was with Arsenal. So whilst the media and club like the Arteta barometer, it’s not really an accurate one in my opinion. 

I was being sarcastic with the "respect the process" the process is dead , Potter has killed it.

1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

Much has been said , mostly by the sage that is Potter about how Arsenal stuck by Arteta when he first started at Arsenal 

here are the stats for those that enjoy that type of thing . Respect the process.potart.thumb.jpg.62d5470515c19f4866000cd4c09ae14c.jpg

Arteta, from day one, has been a better coach for Arsenal than Potter has for us. And that was from a worse starting position. And ... As good as Arsenal have been this season, they still haven't yet achieved the sorts of things you'd expect owners spending several billion on the club to want. A comparison might make some sense if Potter had a slow but not disastrous first few months and we were talking at the end of the season, with Arsenal either title winners or close runners up (and they will of course be one of those, they just aren't yet).

If the Arteta references in press stories really are from club briefings, that's just another thing to worry about.

2 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Arteta, from day one, has been a better coach for Arsenal than Potter has for us. And that was from a worse starting position. And ... As good as Arsenal have been this season, they still haven't yet achieved the sorts of things you'd expect owners spending several billion on the club to want. A comparison might make some sense if Potter had a slow but not disastrous first few months and we were talking at the end of the season, with Arsenal either title winners or close runners up (and they will of course be one of those, they just aren't yet).

If the Arteta references in press stories really are from club briefings, that's just another thing to worry about.

I agree wholeheartedly my "respect the process" was an attempt to show it up for what it is , utter nonsense. 

• Like 1

I just talked to a work colleague who is "Potter in" and thinks all of our goalscoring woes are down to a no.9. 

I then explained all of my frustrations and all of the problems I see with the team, he agreed and then still said we'll solve nothing by sacking another manager.  I'm now quite confused. 

Just now, Bert19 said:

I just talked to a work colleague who is "Potter in" and thinks all of our goalscoring woes are down to a no.9. 

I then explained all of my frustrations and all of the problems I see with the team, he agreed and then still said we'll solve nothing by sacking another manager.  I'm now quite confused. 

I equate it to the signing of AVB , the players didn't believe in him , the football was awful , we got rid , we didn't think , lets give this a year , see where we are when everything settled down , no , we got rid.

Potter makes AVB look like Arigo Sacchi .

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Thiago97 said:

That's the point he is making!

7 minutes ago, Bert19 said:

Your friend is quite obviously wrong.

2 hours ago, Thiago97 said:

On a separate note. Anyone still clinging to romantic dreams of Mourinho. Go check out his Roma team last night and his 3rd red of the season and post match comments………is that what we really want again??

I'd prefer it to sticking with Potter! He seems to be doing a half decent job at Roma too.

Better to have a manager that will put pressure on officials and defend our club than let us be run over by bad decisions because there are no consequences.

Edited by Max Fowler

15 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

I'd prefer it to sticking with Potter! He seems to be doing a half decent job at Roma too.

Better to have a manager that will put pressure on officials and defend our club than let us be run over by bad decisions because there are no consequences.

Yes , I doubt he'd be sucking up all these corrupt decisions with a wry smile and a "it's a difficult job" comment . 

He's a warrior and hard taskmaster and sometimes that is what you need to succeed. 

However , he can be nasty for no apparent reason ( see what he did to Rashford for instance ) 

35 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Yes , I doubt he'd be sucking up all these corrupt decisions with a wry smile and a "it's a difficult job" comment . 

He's a warrior and hard taskmaster and sometimes that is what you need to succeed. 

However , he can be nasty for no apparent reason ( see what he did to Rashford for instance ) 

Moaning about decisions at this stage is futile though in my opinion. I really feel like we need to help ourselves first. Stop conceding soft goals, start actually scoring some of our own... then and only then should we worry about what the refs are doing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, FrankLampard8 said:

Moaning about decisions at this stage is futile though in my opinion. I really feel like we need to help ourselves first. Stop conceding soft goals, start actually scoring some of our own... then and only then should we worry about what the refs are doing. 

I think it's more insidious than that though , as I have mentioned ad nauseum , our games are generally refereed differently to other Premier League side's games , it's a drip drip effect wearing away at our confidence , our players wouldn't be allowed to slide tackle anyone without a yellow card yet just this weekend we've seen loads in the Prem. 

Jose would call the PGMOL out on their bullshit I have no doubt. 

However , I agree that we should try to get our house in order first but that would take actual coaching rather than in depth analysis of the players feelings. 

2 hours ago, Bert19 said:

Just ask you mate if he believes Team GP are capable of coaching a team to +75 points in the PL for 4th or +85 to win the PL

I think he will agree with your outlook on Team GP

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

here are the stats for those that enjoy that type of thing . Respect the process.

Thank you Mark,,the GP justification line didn't sit well with me and I wanted to see the actual comparision.

• Like 1