Chelsea Sack Graham Potter

My Blood Is Blue

4 hours ago, Bert19 said:

I just talked to a work colleague who is "Potter in" and thinks all of our goalscoring woes are down to a no.9. 

I then explained all of my frustrations and all of the problems I see with the team, he agreed and then still said we'll solve nothing by sacking another manager.  I'm now quite confused. 

No question a quality striker would make a very significant difference to the team, but so too would a midfielder who is actually able to create good chances. At the moment our team is being crippled by tension going into games knowing that just one goal against us means we are big trouble of losing, no matter what level of opposition we're playing.

Having said that, there is too much finger pointing at players (I've been as guilty as anyone)  and of course, our manager. Lukaku was the problem, so get him out at any cost. We are no better without him. Jorginho is a problem because he can't create or defend, so we spend £110 million on his replacement and if anything we're now even worse. £600 spent in a year and so far only Badiashile looks anywhere close to being value for money. 

GP deservedly takes his share of the blame, but the even bigger problem has been our awful recruitment over the last half a dozen years or so. Imho, only Kante, Rudi and Silva have been top quality signings during those years. A terrible strike rate and the main reason why we haven't been close to a title challenge since we last won it. We're going nowhere fast until we sort out the shambolic recruitment team!

7 hours ago, Bert19 said:

I just talked to a work colleague who is "Potter in" and thinks all of our goalscoring woes are down to a no.9. 

I then explained all of my frustrations and all of the problems I see with the team, he agreed and then still said we'll solve nothing by sacking another manager.  I'm now quite confused. 

I'm not Potter In by any stretch of the imagination and if he goes he goes, but your colleague is right. Sacking Potter after what we done to get him in (along with his team) would defeat the point of getting him in in the first place.

I know that's a tough pill to swallow for many on here at this point given the toxicity over the last few days towards anyone that dares to share an alternative opinion bar get rid of him but there you go.

19 hours ago, xceleryx said:

He is a good manager, and he's shown that across his other jobs with much less financial backing than he's had at Celtic. Of course, that's happened in lesser leagues but the nature of his achievements in a contextual sense to the level he was competing at have been huge. 

Celtic have also purchased smartly, especially utilising Ange's knowledge of the Japanese market to find some real gems. 

I'm not of the opinion he'd be found out quickly competing against other sides with equal or greater resources. He may not have the immediate success that he's managed across his other clubs, but he's certainly got enough about him to mix it with the best if allowed the time to build what he needs. Even though Celtic got humped by Real Madrid in the Champions League they did cause them problems, as they did Leipzig despite the disparity. 

I'd have still preferred him over Potter if I had my choice, but here we are. 

I appreciate this is a couple of years old but highlights the ease in which a manager should win the league with Celtic. Shrewd signings are easy to make when the rest of the league are scrabbling around for free agents.

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/scottish-premiership/latest-premiership-news/scottish-premiership-the-wage-bills-of-all-12-teams-ranked-as-celtic-and-rangers-pull-away-with-majority-of-ps62m-paid-in-salaries-1398455

Maybe Ange would be great but I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you and say he'll never be at more than a mid table EPL team. We'll find out soon enough I suppose. I just hope it's not at the helm of Chelsea...if we must have another miserable git I'd prefer Conte or Mourinho.

I appreciate the irony of the part in bold 😭

Edited by ChelseaJambo

2 hours ago, BMox81 said:

I'm not Potter In by any stretch of the imagination and if he goes he goes, but your colleague is right. Sacking Potter after what we done to get him in (along with his team) would defeat the point of getting him in in the first place.

I know that's a tough pill to swallow for many on here at this point given the toxicity over the last few days towards anyone that dares to share an alternative opinion bar get rid of him but there you go.

Am I missing something? I haven't noticed anyone advocating for him to stay, never mind getting stick for it. Or do you not mean here?

I think you're right about the challenges in getting rid of him. We've sacked a much better coach at great expense, brought Potter in at great expense, populated the coaching staff with Potter's men so that almost all of it is more tied to him than the club, and even put Potter's people in non-operational roles. Financially and organisationally, we have massively tied ourselves to him. Imo, far more so than is wise for any club to tie itself to one individual head coach. It is going to massively hurt to sack him. It's just that it is massively hurting and may end up hurting very dramatically to keep him. It's a problem entirely of the ownership’s making.

I'd be more hesitant if I'd seen any signs that Potter was instilling a new playing style or culture and these were the unavoidable growing pains; if we were seeing an emerging style simply not being executed well and not quite getting results. I was a Potter sceptic from day one, and this is what I expected to see. I'm genuinely very surprised that we're not seeing even that, and instead we're just seeing ... Nothing.

1 hour ago, thevelourfog said:

Am I missing something? I haven't noticed anyone advocating for him to stay, never mind getting stick for it. Or do you not mean here?

On this forum there's Nobby and myself who want to see Potter be given more time. A good numberl of my reasons for keeping him were highlighted by BMox81's post.

I might well be proven wrong, but my gut instinct is for us to finally show some patience and stand by a manager having a very difficult time, rather than go back to this constant hiring and firing every year or two. 

15 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

On this forum there's Nobby and myself who want to see Potter be given more time. A good numberl of my reasons for keeping him were highlighted by BMox81's post.

I might well be proven wrong, but my gut instinct is for us to finally show some patience and stand by a manager having a very difficult time, rather than go back to this constant hiring and firing every year or two. 

Fair enough, must have just missed yours and Nobly's posts. I don't agree, and maybe I'll be wrong to, but I hope you aren't getting stick just for having that opinion. 

3 hours ago, ChelseaJambo said:

I appreciate this is a couple of years old but highlights the ease in which a manager should win the league with Celtic. Shrewd signings are easy to make when the rest of the league are scrabbling around for free agents.

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/scottish-premiership/latest-premiership-news/scottish-premiership-the-wage-bills-of-all-12-teams-ranked-as-celtic-and-rangers-pull-away-with-majority-of-ps62m-paid-in-salaries-1398455

Maybe Ange would be great but I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you and say he'll never be at more than a mid table EPL team. We'll find out soon enough I suppose. I just hope it's not at the helm of Chelsea...if we must have another miserable git I'd prefer Conte or Mourinho.

I appreciate the irony of the part in bold 😭

Financial advantage doesn't automatically equate to success or foolproof signings either, a team and manager still need to target the right players and tactics to produce on the pitch. Not to discredit how much help a financial advantage has however. Even then, as I pointed out earlier, looking beyond Ange's Celtic tenure he's had great success across various other jobs he's held where he's not had the that resource advantage.

As you said we'll find out more soon enough should he land an EPL gig, which I think will happen sooner rather than later. Either way, if we were to rewind back to when we needed to hire a Tuchel replacement I'd have still talent Ange over Potter in a heartbeat. He's got far more of that x-factor about him which always concerned me about Potter. 

4 hours ago, BMox81 said:

So how many years would it take Team GP to achieve +75 points “basically 4th” in the PL?

in his 3 full seasons at Brighton he improved them by 9 pts from Chris Houghton time. 

21 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Fair enough, must have just missed yours and Nobly's posts. I don't agree, and maybe I'll be wrong to, but I hope you aren't getting stick just for having that opinion. 

No stick at all🙂 Just a few members giving their good and honest reasons for why they think I'm wrong.

28 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

No stick at all🙂 Just a few members giving their good and honest reasons for why they think I'm wrong.

And honestly, I would love it if in the future you are proven right and then able to give the rest of us stick. That would mean the club is in a very good place! 

• Agree 3

I suppose when you're a lazy journalist you look at the person doing a better job at the current guy's previous club... or we might genuinely be interested.

https://www.footballinsider247.com/sources-chelsea-now-turn-attention-to-manager-tottenham-want-to-replace-antonio-conte/

This season has been too crazy for anything to make much sense. New owners. Big money spent in the summer. Tuchel sacked. Potter hired. Half the team injured. Fewest goals of all 92 English clubs (or something like it). Dreadful results. Astronomical amounts spent in January. Relegation form. I get the feeling that the things that make least sense will probably happen next.

• Agree 1

43 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

This season has been too crazy for anything to make much sense. New owners. Big money spent in the summer. Tuchel sacked. Potter hired. Half the team injured. Fewest goals of all 92 English clubs (or something like it). Dreadful results. Astronomical amounts spent in January. Relegation form. I get the feeling that the things that make least sense will probably happen next.

Totally agree, Bob. Crazy times!

On 27/02/2023 at 00:37, McCreadie said:

Personally, I’d do whatever necessary to get TT back. This is a better squad than he had to work with. A couple of improvements in the summer and the “disagreements over recruitment” would be a moot point, as we will already have what we need for the next 5 years. He’s had 6 months off. There is now also a football board in between manager and owner, if he feels it necessary. He’s unlikely to come back without a grovelling apology and I’m not sure that is on the cards, so it’s a 99% non-starter, but never say never. It’s difficult to find too many other available candidates at this point of the season. Steve Holland? I think Southgate is pretty much the FA’s nodding dog in that relationship and that SH does all the dirty work. Very used to having to work with what he is given. Overachieving. Knows the club inside out. Set pieces. It would be a risk, but less so than most suggestions on this thread so far. Pochettino would probably do quite well but I can’t get past my raging dislike of him. Wait til the summer and get Simeone to come and shout at the players? Might be fun for 18 months. Ditto Conte Mk2. Ditto Jose Mk 3.  Those last 3 would turn the ship around, but maybe all 3 feel like a bit of a step backwards?

Yep, all sounds interesting especially your views on Tuchel which I couldn't agree more.

Of all the options available I would love to see Tuchel back.It was a bad time for him and the club when we parted company.

It's obvious he loved his time with us.I think he will command the respect of our new recruits and there is no question he is a top top coach.

Of course it's not going to happen because Boehly and co have their own ideas what will bring success,(that worries me no end) that's why I suggested Lampard and Terry as a whim more than logic.

New owners,new players,and a stable reinvigorated  Tuchel...sounds good to me.

Southampton and Bournemouth are begging for a coach like Potter

IMO - If he goes he walks straight into one of those two clubs "also no moving of family home required"

Also - only 3 teams "bournemouth, leeds, palace" have won less points than chelsea in the last 6 games

image.thumb.png.78101e0c13890ff52866ecff30688615.png

Edited by ROTG

1 hour ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Thank god for TT!

EAFE515E-4134-44C2-BDB4-2DEF538D0F29.jpeg

I'd love to see a ban on mentioning Tuchel's name in the Potter thread. He's gone and the reasons went far beyond our form at the time apparently so I suggest all his fans get over it. FFS it's like Brexit or the independence vote in Scotland. As long as our owners are in place the one person in the entirety of the world's population that won't be Graeme Potter's successor is Thomas Tuchel. Incidentally, beyond the rumours and hints that they exist I suggest massive props to Chelsea FC for not releasing the real reasons he was sacked. Other clubs may well have leaked the details in order to deflect the inevitable criticism. Anyway, back to GP.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Here's another one for you to ponder , this is a table showing the side we have beaten this year and where they are in relation to us. It's grim , grim reading and proof once more that Potter is clueless and the players are useless:

table.jpg

Villa was an away win for us, not a home win so it’s not all bad 🙂

1 hour ago, Holymoly said:

I'd love to see a ban on mentioning Tuchel's name in the Potter thread. He's gone and the reasons went far beyond our form at the time apparently so I suggest all his fans get over it. FFS it's like Brexit or the independence vote in Scotland. As long as our owners are in place the one person in the entirety of the world's population that won't be Graeme Potter's successor is Thomas Tuchel. Incidentally, beyond the rumours and hints that they exist I suggest massive props to Chelsea FC for not releasing the real reasons he was sacked. Other clubs may well have leaked the details in order to deflect the inevitable criticism. Anyway, back to GP.

Chill out bro. He’s highly relevant to why Potter was hired in the first place and helps us judge if Potter is succeeding or not.

1 hour ago, Max Fowler said:

Chill out bro. He’s highly relevant to why Potter was hired in the first place and helps us judge if Potter is succeeding or not.

TBF we can just look at the league table to determine if Potter is succeeding or not, we don't really need Tuchel as a yard stick. 

• Like 2