Chelsea Sack Graham Potter

My Blood Is Blue

3 hours ago, Holymoly said:

I'd love to see a ban on mentioning Tuchel's name in the Potter thread. He's gone and the reasons went far beyond our form at the time apparently so I suggest all his fans get over it. FFS it's like Brexit or the independence vote in Scotland. As long as our owners are in place the one person in the entirety of the world's population that won't be Graeme Potter's successor is Thomas Tuchel. Incidentally, beyond the rumours and hints that they exist I suggest massive props to Chelsea FC for not releasing the real reasons he was sacked. Other clubs may well have leaked the details in order to deflect the inevitable criticism. Anyway, back to GP.

Was just a lighthearted post, nothing more

• Like 1

Speaking of Tuchel, did anyone ever watch this in full?

TT used to inspire me so much with his press conferences. I love this man and he helped me a lot in my own personal life with his clear and confident insights into how to live at the highest level.

Watching him again makes me feel calmer despite what we are going through 🙂

From the pre-match write up on the official CFC site;

"The Londoners’ main concerns remain the lack of goals. Potter will aim to find an approach that brings the best out of attacking talents who have delivered the goods in the past.

That might mean a change of personnel, or perhaps a tweak of system to three in midfield or at the back. But the overriding priority for anyone involved on Saturday must be to find the net, whichever position they play".

14 minutes ago, Ham said:

"The Londoners’ main concerns remain the lack of goals. Potter will aim to find an approach that brings the best out of attacking talents who have delivered the goods in the past.

That might mean a change of personnel, or perhaps a tweak of system to three in midfield or at the back. But the overriding priority for anyone involved on Saturday must be to find the net, whichever position they play".

0-1 it is then.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Ham said:

Or mean nothing, he hasnt looked to mix anything up in the games so far.

6 hours ago, Ham said:

That is a sure sign of a forward thinking elite innovative coach...score goals!

Never crossed my mind.

First real signs that there may be splits amongst the club hierarchy. [Please note the use of the word 'may'] 

Until now all the stories have been of Potter being given time, Potter still being in charge for pre-season; even Potter being given a whole season following a pre-season (ie the whole of 2024-25 season).

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-11817137/Chelseas-board-SPLIT-Graham-Potters-future.html

11 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

First real signs that there may be splits amongst the club hierarchy. [Please note the use of the word 'may'] 

Until now all the stories have been of Potter being given time, Potter still being in charge for pre-season; even Potter being given a whole season following a pre-season (ie the whole of 2024-25 season).

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-11817137/Chelseas-board-SPLIT-Graham-Potters-future.html

Hmmmm 

3 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

Could be that the fat wallet’s in some of the owners back-pockets are getting a little restless, given that nearby something else is twitching faster and faster. 

They might be seeing the return on investment going farther off into the distance, perhaps Todd has deeper pockets and more faith in the coach and ‘process’.

More fool him.

2 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I honestly don't think that's true. 

Why are they so hands off Potter? Even now Boehly apparently still wants to give him time 

Not convinced they are that hands off. But I think they also wanted their own man and subconsciously wanted Tuchel out. This is from pro-Potter Matt Law.

3 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

Why are they so hands off Potter? Even now Boehly apparently still wants to give him time 

Because he ticks all the other collaborative boxes that Boehly wants, even if the important footballing ones fall by the wayside. 

That's practically why Tuchel was given the flick in the first place - he just wanted to do you know, coach. 

10 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

Seriously? If that's the case, then Boehly is certified idiot. 

That's how it looks when you read between the lines. 

Ideally we'd have hired a combination of both Tuchel and Potter. Someone tactically astute, that also has an openness to collaborate and communicate with all the off-field footballing departments. 

We've prioritised  the wrong area and we're seeing the results of that on the pitch. 

Edited by xceleryx

On 02/03/2023 at 09:44, Max Fowler said:

Chill out bro. He’s highly relevant to why Potter was hired in the first place and helps us judge if Potter is succeeding or not.

Exactly so.There is no doubt in my mind Tuchel was vastly superior to Potter.

I think Tuchel was let down by multi million pound players first and foremost,and then we have new owners that are increasingly looking like they don't know their arse from their  elbow when it comes to "soccer".

I fear our appreciation for Boehly and co will turn into disdain.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, xceleryx said:

Because he ticks all the other collaborative boxes that Boehly wants, even if the important footballing ones fall by the wayside. 

That's practically why Tuchel was given the flick in the first place - he just wanted to do you know, coach. 

Remember when Tuchel complained that he was forever in meetings so had no time to coach?

I fear this is happening now because we sure don't look coached .

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

Because admiting Potter is a mistake is, well, admitting they made a mistake. One that is going to cost to the tune of £100m (paying off Tuchel, bringing in Potter and his staff, paying off Potter and his staff, a huge deal for whoever comes in) even without factoring in the loss of earnings from league and cup performance and related transfer deals. 

I said at the time that Tuchel was sacked because he just wanted to do his actual job and was not being allowed to, and God knows I get loads wrong but I think it's really hard to reach any other conclusion based on the last 6 months. Fully expect he told the owners off in no uncertain terms and their egos couldn't take it. Everybody has a limit where they'd tell their boss to f**k off and part of the boss's job is to not unnecessarily push people to it. It's become an accepted idea here that Tuchel was having some kind of breakdown. I don't know that I agree, but if there's some truth to it we shouldn't divorce it from working under these owners. Potter seems, in his own way, to also be very much struggling under them.

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, Proud-Blue said:

Might have bought himself a bit of time after today. If we can knock out Dortmund I suspect he's likely to get until the end of the season, providing we aren't dragged into a relegation battle.

I really hope not, and really hope the club have already been setting up his successor for the summer (realistically when anyone worth wanting would consider taking us over in our current state). I hope yesterday means at most we don't need an emergency interim replacement but he has already done enough that the owners should have a hard expiration date on his time here.