Chelsea Sack Graham Potter

My Blood Is Blue

On 12/03/2023 at 10:35, Max Fowler said:

Yes. A lot of people on here were saying that. Perhaps Sterling got the least of the three - KK and Cucu have been slated on here for months.

Cucurella is a bad player, he has been saved by Chili's presence. No positioning sense and too slow to recover

7 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

I can only assume that you've been watching different games! Yes, he took a while to settle, no doubt, but why not just be happy that he appears to have done so? Is that so hard?

What can I say, its often an opinion based game. I have too often found him frustrating. I am more than happy if I have to change my mind.

I have said the same thing all along, that when he plays he too often doesnt see the movement of Mudryk or whoever was in front of him,  and that he hasnt given me a lot of hope he can justify anything like his price tag. He has worked well with Chili in the last week, as i said on the match day thread,  and hope that is the solution to bring out his best

I guess its my final comment on him as I am now in the minority and have no wish to keep fighting my corner for an opinion 🙂 

10 hours ago, paulw66 said:

On the evidence of the last couple of games, he is far from a bad player 

More about the is he value for money, which at this point seems not.

Couple of more testing games on the horizon, so it more of an interest to see if he's selected and how he performs against top six teams.

One worry with Cucurella, when playing as LB or LCB, is that he is often tempted to advance forward either pressing a lost ball or simply advancing the game and that leaves a large space behind him that can easily be exploited by opposition players with pace.  To be fair to him, I am not sure whether he is being asked to do that. One factor in his performance in the Dortmund game was that he resisted doing this, and it made us much more solid. However, the habit returned against Leicester.   Of course, this does not make him a "bad player". It simply means that aspects of his game could be improved. I have never known a footballer who is beyond improvement.

1 hour ago, ROTG said:

More about the is he value for money, which at this point seems not.

Couple of more testing games on the horizon, so it more of an interest to see if he's selected and how he performs against top six teams.

The value for money thing will always be subjective. I was simply responding to a post that said he was a bad player (ignoring the money)

Judge a player by they bring to the table, not how much they cost. 

• Agree 1

36 minutes ago, Sciatika said:

One worry with Cucurella, when playing as LB or LCB, is that he is often tempted to advance forward either pressing a lost ball or simply advancing the game and that leaves a large space behind him that can easily be exploited by opposition players with pace.  To be fair to him, I am not sure whether he is being asked to do that. One factor in his performance in the Dortmund game was that he resisted doing this, and it made us much more solid. However, the habit returned against Leicester.   Of course, this does not make him a "bad player". It simply means that aspects of his game could be improved. I have never known a footballer who is beyond improvement.

Did he? I thought he did it in both games, and did it well.

That is the beauty of playing 3 CBs, it allows one to engage in the midfield areas, with two CBs still in position. There was quite a good analysis by Carragher on Sky after we had won at City with 3 at the back in 2021. Showed Rudiger or Azpi coming into midfield to press when the ball was on their respective sides

2 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Did he? I thought he did it in both games, and did it well.

That is the beauty of playing 3 CBs, it allows one to engage in the midfield areas, with two CBs still in position. There was quite a good analysis by Carragher on Sky after we had won at City with 3 at the back in 2021. Showed Rudiger or Azpi coming into midfield to press when the ball was on their respective sides

Exactly, how many times did we see Rudiger charge into the opposition half as the LCB!

First couple of games I really liked Cucurella. He was using one or two touches and moving it around quickly, then his form dropped off a cliff. There has been stories about his home being burgled so I'm happy to reserve judgement until the end of the season. 

As a wing back, I don't think he has it in his locker to offer what Chilwell does. Chilwell and James are both great at getting super high and pinning in the opposition. I think Cucurella though will be very handy as a LCB or defensive LB in a back 4. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Willian Dollar Baby said:

Exactly, how many times did we see Rudiger charge into the opposition half as the LCB!

First couple of games I really liked Cucurella. He was using one or two touches and moving it around quickly, then his form dropped off a cliff. There has been stories about his home being burgled so I'm happy to reserve judgement until the end of the season. 

As a wing back, I don't think he has it in his locker to offer what Chilwell does. Chilwell and James are both great at getting super high and pinning in the opposition. I think Cucurella though will be very handy as a LCB or defensive LB in a back 4. 

This

On 13/03/2023 at 11:23, Willian Dollar Baby said:

Is Potter the man to lead us going forward? I have major doubts. Pre-World Cup he was very unlucky with a horrible run of injuries to key players so I was willing for him to get more time. Since the new year it's been nothing short of dreadful. With most of the squad back fit for a while now, not to mention a number of expensive new signings, you would have expected significantly more progress by now.

When Tuchel came in following SFL he got the team tactically drilled and performing within the first week. There is no real excuse for how little we've improved since Potter arrived in September. You would expect at least a form of identity or tactical instruction by now.

I do have sympathy with Potter for how badly the squad has been put together this year, we could lose 5 players and it would still be too big! It can't be easy to manage such a huge squad with ego's like Aubameyang and Ziyech barely getting a kick. Whilst he did a decent job at Brighton, he's never had to manage ego's in the way he will need to now. Do the players listen to Potter who has never even watched a champions league game prior to this season, compared to the way TT was able to command respect immediately? 

Positives - the last 3 games have all been much better. The switch to 3ATB seems to suit our players more and we have at least looked like scoring for once. To compare to previous seasons, I do still think the Dortmund performance was miles away from the quality we showed away vs Real last season for example. I believe the squad now has many very good individuals and is just a couple of key players away from being able to challenge for major trophies. Priority number one in the summer will be to clear out the dead wood.

I don't think there is any point making any changes now before the end of the season, we are unlikely to find anyone who can come in now and turn it around. What is vitally important is that we go into next season with the right man in charge. Backing Potter with another transfer window, a pre-season only to sack him 10 games into the new season would be catastrophic. He basically has from now until the summer to audition for the role long-term. We need to continue to build on recent performances, show tactical instructions and begin to play as a team rather than 11 strangers on the pitch. 

Am I the only one who dreams of the improbable return of Tommy Tuchel? 

I think Potter was meant to get us playing with a back four.

Yet we were struggling and then when the wide backs were fit he played 3 cbs and we started winning.

I think once James and Chilwell are out injured again we may revert to a back four and play with an unbalanced midfield, Kova and Zakaria are rarely fir and assuming he makes it back how long will Kante be back for?

Think we will reach about 7th in the table and despite your concerns Potter will get the pre-season and it will go wrong in November and he will be out in December for a big name to come in like Pochettino or Allegre. 

7 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Judge a player by they bring to the table, not how much they cost. 

Absolutely

It more a case of where he bring something to the table. 

cannot see him ousting Chilwell for LWB or LB or Badiashile for Left side of a back 3, therefore one hopes what he brings to the table is being the new Azpi a jack of all trades back up on the left side 

6 hours ago, jasonb said:

I think Potter was meant to get us playing with a back four.

Yet we were struggling and then when the wide backs were fit he played 3 cbs and we started winning.

I think once James and Chilwell are out injured again we may revert to a back four and play with an unbalanced midfield, Kova and Zakaria are rarely fir and assuming he makes it back how long will Kante be back for?

Think we will reach about 7th in the table and despite your concerns Potter will get the pre-season and it will go wrong in November and he will be out in December for a big name to come in like Pochettino or Allegre. 

With all the attacking signings long term it does make sense to move to 4ATB. Right now with no real DM to screen the defence, I think we still need the additional defender to protect ourselves. 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Willian Dollar Baby said:

With all the attacking signings long term it does make sense to move to 4ATB. Right now with no real DM to screen the defence, I think we still need the additional defender to protect ourselves. 

Better to hire an elite coach for direction before spending any additional money on the playing staff. 

6 hours ago, ROTG said:

Better to hire an elite coach for direction before spending any additional money on the playing staff. 

Depends on the position of investment, a holding player of some variety for example is a must irrespective of coach or system.

3 hours ago, xceleryx said:

Depends on the position of investment, a holding player of some variety for example is a must irrespective of coach or system.

It would be more beneficial if the Coach identified the DM he wanted and more than likely coached rather than getting another prospect from data analysis.

I guess with the impending return of Lukaku that's the striking options complete for next season