Chelsea Sack Graham Potter

My Blood Is Blue

7 hours ago, paulw66 said:

sorry, what?

Let me translate for you. 

Three London based clubs with mid-table aspirations are without managers, paving the way for a mid-table level type of manager (aka Potter) to end up at come the summer. 

Basically, a whole lot of nothing.

10 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

1. Sack Potter (please!!) - what are you waiting for TB? There are plenty of good coaches out there, currently either unemployed (or about to be).

2. Give Mount the captaincy, and get him to sign a new contract.

We can't wait until June!

This season is shot..we all know that...if GP "stays" then I see no difference in the overall next season,

At best maybe a few positions higher but no challenge and the odd nicking of points from top sides...welcomed as a "success" and an "English" coach pluckily taking on the Big Boys.

Mediocracy will rule..... how much more do we have to watch before reality kicks in?

SAF had a rocky start...but not like GP....players develop as do coaches some reach a level and that's it but wrong man, wrong job. Anyone hold out real optimism that GP will kick on?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

1. Sack Potter (please!!) - what are you waiting for TB? There are plenty of good coaches out there, currently either unemployed (or about to be).

I'd say put JT in as interim as it can't be much worse than we have currently and has a similar feel to when RDM took over from AVB - But Robbie had Steve Holland alongside him, JT might not be able to have/find someone as good as Steve Holland was to help him.

GP just can't cut it at the very top level - We would have seen something by now that we could cling onto as being light at the end of the tunnel. What I see are poor decisions compounded by even poorer ones, resulting in us being lower in the PL table than Fulham, Brentford, Brighton,  11 points off Rottenham and played off the park by them. 

It's unfathomable for me how GP is still here. Perhaps the initial decision to appoint him is being compounded by keeping him - perhaps this is the new way and GP's taking his lead from Boehly?

• Agree 1

This Football 365's take on Potter in the "losers" section of the weekends round up

Kepa cost £71.6m and cannot save shots hit straight at him. Kalidou Koulibaly was signed for £34m and can probably be stored back in the cupboard after being completely rinsed by a goalless 22-year-old who started the season in the Championship. Graham Potter and his staff was brought in for £22m and could not assist their team in defending two separate leads at home to a struggling side.

Conor Gallagher as the earliest substitute has become a trademark of sorts for Potter. The midfielder has risen first from the gilded Chelsea bench in each of their last four games, his impact and diligence praised after coming on in the 68th, 67th and 45th minutes to help see out wins over Leeds, Dortmund and Leicester. But the negative nature of such a change – Gallagher has come on for the more forward-thinking Joao Felix every time in those four games – makes criticism inevitable when it backfires. Chelsea could have pushed for more goals against Everton instead of quickly sacrificing one of their better attacking performances and settling.

Ross Barkley for Mateo Kovacic became the substitution through which much of the criticism of Maurizio Sarri’s in-game management was framed. Potter has to be careful not to make Gallagher for Felix his calling card.

10 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

2. Give Mount the captaincy, and get him to sign a new contract.

We can't wait until June!

On your point 1, I agree totally - but I think he's here until May.

But I cannot actually think for a second that the board can be in any way happy with what they've seen over the last six months? They simply must have been exploring other options for the manager's job of late? 

He got saved by a drab 1-0 win at home against a very poor Leeds side, what we've seen over the last two weeks can't have completely changed the doubts anyone has.  

A £500m+ outlay to see him starting the likes of Ziyech and Pulisic over Murdryk, Madueke and others is barmy.  And if squad size is really an issue, grow a pair and put some of the players that have no future (or want no future) here to the side and play the ones that do.  You might at least learn something that way. 

Is anyone seriously suggesting to me (or even the board) that 62 minutes of Pulisic on Saturday was going to be more useful than Mudryk or Madueke getting that same game time? It cannot possibly be true. 

He's so scared of losing games that he actually costs us points with his cowardly game plans and subs.  It's just a clear indicator that he isn't the man for this job and we can't give him more months or years to see if he can step up. 

I refuse to believe that there aren't other managers that wouldn't be getting more out of this squad, improving younger players, phasing out older ones and just generally giving us all a clearer indication of what Chelsea might be going forward. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

He is here for the rest of the season and some are going to need to just accept that. I might be wrong, but I fully expect him to still be in place at the start of next season too. I think the earliest he could possibly go is Xmas. A lot of different scenarios can unfold between now and then.

15 minutes ago, McCreadie said:

He is here for the rest of the season and some are going to need to just accept that. I might be wrong, but I fully expect him to still be in place at the start of next season too. I think the earliest he could possibly go is Xmas. A lot of different scenarios can unfold between now and then.

You're probably correct, but the fact remains that that is a disastrous decision for the club and for Todd himself.

2 minutes ago, RDCW said:

You're probably correct, but the fact remains that that is a disastrous decision for the club and for Todd himself.

Not sure what happens on here if we win 3 and draw one of the next 4. It's a leap I know, but it would leave us 8 unbeaten and anyone would struggle to deny that as some sort of progress.

7 minutes ago, McCreadie said:

Not sure what happens on here if we win 3 and draw one of the next 4. It's a leap I know, but it would leave us 8 unbeaten and anyone would struggle to deny that as some sort of progress.

Yeah that would certainly be progress. I'd love to see us putting teams away like Arsenal and City are doing.  I genuinely think we've got the squad to do it even now. 

Beggars belief that Aubameyang doesn't get a look in, bearing in mind the service he would get now. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ham said:

Yeah that would certainly be progress. I'd love to see us putting teams away like Arsenal and City are doing.  I genuinely think we've got the squad to do it even now. 

Beggars belief that Aubameyang doesn't get a look in, bearing in mind the service he would get now. 

He was in Barcelona yesterday for "El Classico"  in the dressing room with the Barca players so I doubt he's that engaged given how he's been treated.

1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

Boehly has finally acted and sacked the groundsman who's been at Chelsea 30 years.

I expect he'll sub the position out to a local allotment manager.

Brutal.  Father and son.  It’s not their fault we’re s*** atm.

Can anyone copy/paste the story on the TB thread.  Away from home and my mobile isn’t playing ball ☹️

1 hour ago, McCreadie said:

With the players available Chelsea will pick up scrappy points between now and the end of the season..... it will not alter what we have been watching most of the season.

There is no way forward to any promised land with GP. Just a meandering in the mid table desert or the fringes with no one fearing Chelsea visiting or a visit to SB...how does that feel?

Unless there is a Top Coach available now might just as well see the season out with GP but further than that reeks of folly.

The only difference I can see between what we're seeing now and a lot of the performances under TT is the lack of goals from defenders which bailed us out under TT. What else do we have in our creative locker apart from spamming crosses into crowded boxes and hoping someone gets on the end of them? 

Also, why is that Kane continues to perform at his best in a very average team?  It's simple. He has the talent and mindset to do things when he gets the bal, which is what real talent is able to do. Sad fact is, we don't have anyone in attack or midfied of that level, just a lot of ok players who show flashes of talent here and there and that's been the case for years before GP became manager.

10 hours ago, boratsbrother said:

Also, why is that Kane continues to perform at his best in a very average team?  It's simple. He has the talent and mindset to do things when he gets the bal, which is what real talent is able to do. Sad fact is, we don't have anyone in attack or midfied of that level, just a lot of ok players who show flashes of talent here and there and that's been the case for years before GP became manager.

Which is a recruitment problem at its core that then bleeds into what a manager can do tactically.

Our midfield has consisted of largely three core people Kante, Kovacic and Jorginho. There's no attacking talent there, which is okay in a vacuum providing the surrounding pieces have the quality to make up for it. Instead we've lined up with a fairly defensively minded double pivot, that's then been surrounded by incompetent attacking quality that's either not up to snuff generally speaking, or has been shoehorned into secondary positions just to get them into the side and that's seen them struggle more.

There's been no real foresight put into place with respects to how we want to play, what tactical shape we want to take up, and the style of football looking to be executed. In the end it's been a hodgepodge of players assembled that barely compliment each other, much less the football we've often tried to play. The end result is the consistent football we've strung together and has ultimately turned us into a cup side for years on end. 

We've sort of remedied aspects since the change of ownership and signings we've made, but I'm still yet to really see what Potter wants us to do as our end game approach. The midfield outside of Enzo is still problem. We've injected more speed, mobility and dynamism into the attack but we've rarely been able to field all these pieces for a variety of reasons - some of which is at the feet of Potter. 

This is why this summer I want to see some bold calls made in favour of building a more cohesive squad that's actually interchangeable, opposed to having to always tactically adjust for the changes we made which can throw things off. But we also just need to have an actual plan of attack in what we want to be, what pieces we need to achieve that, and having the right man at the helm to put it altogether. Without that we're going to continue to see a lot of what's been on display this season

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I saw the Brighton chairman saying Potter needs more time, well he's been here since September and there's been zero improvement. Of course a pre-season is helpful but good coaches will make an impact anyway.

Look at Emery at Villa, since he came in they apparently have the 3rd best record in the league. It took Tuchel less than a week to start showing clear improvements here and I don't need to remind anyone how that season went. I know it's going badly at the moment but Conte took over Spurs mid-season and got them to top 4.

I've seen the Arteta argument that he had a poor start, it was nothing compared to this. Even when they had bad results you could still see an identity on the pitch and performances were getting better. 

We've been out of both cups for a while now so have had plenty of free mid-weeks to prepare. Unfortunately it's feeling very similar to SFLs second season. We have a great squad of players however the manager is simply not good enough. 

Potter will likely get the rest of the season however big decisions need to be made in the summer. Get in someone else and give them the full pre-season rather than sacking Potter when we are struggling again 2 months into next season. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Willian Dollar Baby said:

I saw the Brighton chairman saying Potter needs more time, well he's been here since September and there's been zero improvement. Of course a pre-season is helpful but good coaches will make an impact anyway.

Look at Emery at Villa, since he came in they apparently have the 3rd best record in the league. It took Tuchel less than a week to start showing clear improvements here and I don't need to remind anyone how that season went. I know it's going badly at the moment but Conte took over Spurs mid-season and got them to top 4.

I've seen the Arteta argument that he had a poor start, it was nothing compared to this. Even when they had bad results you could still see an identity on the pitch and performances were getting better. 

We've been out of both cups for a while now so have had plenty of free mid-weeks to prepare. Unfortunately it's feeling very similar to SFLs second season. We have a great squad of players however the manager is simply not good enough. 

Potter will likely get the rest of the season however big decisions need to be made in the summer. Get in someone else and give them the full pre-season rather than sacking Potter when we are struggling again 2 months into next season. 

We average 1.33 ppg in the league under Potter, that's 50 points a season and  have scored 21 goals in 21 games.

For comparison last season under Tuchel we averaged 1.95ppg and scored 76 goals finishing third on 74 points. 

We have spent £600m.

The lack of improvement is one thing  but how far backwards we have gone is the real issue. 

Literally anyone could come in at this stage and we would see an instant improvement as it couldn't be any worse.

Your last paragraph I agree with 100%. It will be madness to start the season with Potter still here. There is nothing to suggest he is capable of turning the mess around and is capable of anything anything other than mid table. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

23 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

We average 1.33 ppg in the league under Potter, that's 50 points a season and  have scored 21 goals in 21 games.

For comparison last season under Tuchel we averaged 1.95ppg and scored 76 goals finishing third on 74 points. 

We have spent £600m.

The lack of improvement is one thing  but how far backwards we have gone is the real issue. 

Literally anyone could come in at this stage and we would see an instant improvement as it couldn't be any worse.

Your last paragraph I agree with 100%. It will be madness to start the season with Potter still here. There is nothing to suggest he is capable of turning the mess around and is capable of anything anything other than mid table. 

Yep, anyway you look at the stats it's very bad. I don't necessarily even think Potter is a bad manager he's just not at the elite level. It's one thing getting Brighton players to follow you but another thing completely to command respect from players at the top level. It's clear we have a number of ego's in the squad who are probably not listening to Graham Potter who has no major trophies on his CV.  Even when he gives interviews I just struggle to see that spark or charisma that we've seen with many of our previous managers. Unfortunately he's just not the right fit for Chelsea. 

On 20/03/2023 at 12:03, east lower said:

I'd say put JT in as interim as it can't be much worse than we have currently and has a similar feel to when RDM took over from AVB - But Robbie had Steve Holland alongside him, JT might not be able to have/find someone as good as Steve Holland was to help him.

GP just can't cut it at the very top level - We would have seen something by now that we could cling onto as being light at the end of the tunnel. What I see are poor decisions compounded by even poorer ones, resulting in us being lower in the PL table than Fulham, Brentford, Brighton,  11 points off Rottenham and played off the park by them. 

It's unfathomable for me how GP is still here. Perhaps the initial decision to appoint him is being compounded by keeping him - perhaps this is the new way and GP's taking his lead from Boehly?

Would love to see JT in, possibly next to somebody a bit more experienced. We lack an on field captain but he could do some of that from the sidelines and in training. Instill some pride and passion.

On 21/03/2023 at 19:55, Willian Dollar Baby said:

I've seen the Arteta argument that he had a poor start,

Another myth cooked up by the press to protect GP. 
in Arteta first season he won the FA cup and finished higher than Emery in the previous season. From day one Arteta’s profile has been an upward trend 

• Like 1