Chelsea Sack Graham Potter

My Blood Is Blue

On 25/03/2023 at 17:38, ROTG said:

I like the GP optimism for next season, and should it happen there will be plenty with egg on on their faces. However reality says it will not happen. 

Likelihood is that it will not, but I dont think it as utterly wild a suggestion as most here. I imagine that GP needs to get to the end of this season in  a very slightly better place than he is now, to be in a position to be trusted by TB with the start of next season. That will not be easy with the fixtures we have remaining, but it is doable.

13 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

According to French publication "L'Equipe" Potter is paid £991K per month before tax.

I'd be annoyed if I was paying him 90K per year personally.

Boehly is shown to be a clown more each day.

It was widely reported in various media at the time of his appointment that he was on around £10m to £12m a year* (more than the reported £8m/year Tuchel had been paid), so all L'Equipe are doing is repeating previous figures. Of course, it doesn't mean any of those figures are correct.

*Based on figures of a £50m - £60m 5 year contract where £ becomes interchangeable with € depending on the country of origin of the rumour

Just one example from last September:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/19754484/graham-potter-chelsea-wages-revealed-thomas-tuchel/

5 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

It was widely reported in various media at the time of his appointment that he was on around £10m to £12m a year* (more than the reported £8m/year Tuchel had been paid), so all L'Equipe are doing is repeating previous figures. Of course, it doesn't mean any of those figures are correct.

*Based on figures of a £50m - £60m 5 year contract where £ becomes interchangeable with € depending on the country of origin of the rumour

Just one example from last September:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/19754484/graham-potter-chelsea-wages-revealed-thomas-tuchel/

991k before tax is a lot more than 10m-12m a year. It's nearer 20m.

It's nonsense. 

15 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

It's nonsense. 

Until the "991k before tax" nobody had quoted figures as beinng after or before tax. Just as with £ versus € figures quoted when talking of player transfers, salaries etc rarely get dissected into pre/post tax... a ball-park figure is quoted and one is expected to decide for oneself which it might be.

As ever, I think you're just arguing for the sake of arguing, in which case I'll leave you to it! Bye!!

35 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

It's nonsense. 

It's £11,892,000.00 to be precise, which is quite near £12m per year , before tax , not after tax, after tax he could only be taking home £594,600.00 

And to think  for one moment I thought we were over paying him.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

It's £11,892,000.00 to be precise, which is quite near £12m per year , before tax , not after tax, after tax he could only be taking home £594,600.00 

IF it is correct, it is still a lot less than circa 20m that would be needed on a gross basis.

The fact we have two such vastly different figures tell you one thing - they dont know what he earns.

45 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

IF it is correct, it is still a lot less than circa 20m that would be needed on a gross basis.

The fact we have two such vastly different figures tell you one thing - they dont know what he earns.

Not a dig at you paulw...I just question the "earns" bit.

2 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Regardless of what he gets, it really the case of him winning the lottery, because never in a month of Sundays would any sane person pay someone like GP that kind of alleged salary. 

4 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

According to French publication "L'Equipe" Potter is paid £991K per month before tax.

I'd be annoyed if I was paying him 90K per year personally.

Boehly is shown to be a clown more each day.

I struggle with this figure, because I just don't see you'd need to offer that much to tempt him. What would he have been on at Brighton? Surely we could have doubled his wages, maybe even tripled them, without even getting close to what L'Equipe say. 

As always, though, who knows!

2 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

I struggle with this figure, because I just don't see you'd need to offer that much to tempt him. What would he have been on at Brighton? Surely we could have doubled his wages, maybe even tripled them, without even getting close to what L'Equipe say. 

As always, though, who knows!

I expect he'd have moved for a modest increase. 

10 hours ago, paulw66 said:

I expect he'd have moved for a modest increase. 

Probably , but the niggle remains in that Boehly didn't have a clue , was listening to all the pundits where the belief was Potter was the coming man , so overvalued him in the same way he threw his money around on players in the first few months of his tenure.

1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

Probably , but the niggle remains in that Boehly didn't have a clue , was listening to all the pundits where the belief was Potter was the coming man , so overvalued him in the same way he threw his money around on players in the first few months of his tenure.

I don't remember a single person, pundit, fan or whoever suggesting we replace Tuchel with Potter. Who do you think he was listening to?

And you don't become a billionaire successful businessman by overpaying for stuff, whether it be wages, buildings or whatever. The idea TB is some sort of idiot who doesn't know how to run a business, is a stretch. 

Just now, paulw66 said:

I don't remember a single person, pundit, fan or whoever suggesting we replace Tuchel with Potter. Who do you think he was listening to?

And you don't become a billionaire successful businessman by overpaying for stuff, whether it be wages, buildings or whatever. The idea TB is some sort of idiot who doesn't know how to run a business, is a stretch. 

I'm not suggesting that TB listened to anyone about sacking Tuchel but rather once he'd sacked him and needed someone he's turned to Potter because of the reputation that Potter was making for himself there was a definite media led ideology that Potter was up and coming.

As for not overpaying , look around , we've overpaid for everyone  so much so we are allegedly in the mire now.

5 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

As for not overpaying , look around , we've overpaid for everyone  so much so we are allegedly in the mire now.

Time will tell on that.

The vast majority of signings are 22 and under. The value we do / don't get from them will be apparent over time.

I'll concede on Cucurella. PEA was a waste. The rest is TBC, IMO, but at a glance, Badiashile looks shrewd business. Enzo was expensive, but looks the business. 

16 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Time will tell on that.

The vast majority of signings are 22 and under. The value we do / don't get from them will be apparent over time.

I'll concede on Cucurella. PEA was a waste. The rest is TBC, IMO, but at a glance, Badiashile looks shrewd business. Enzo was expensive, but looks the business. 

Yes , Badiashille and Enzo look worth the money , I'm not sure we can say the same of a few others yet but It is early days as you say.

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

Smart businessmen screw up all the time! Many billionnaires have flirted with or even fallen into ruin during their careers. TB doesn't have to be an idiot to allow his over inflated self estimation to get in the way of his intellect; it happens all the time. My view is that his eagerness to make his mark and do things his own way have thrown several babies out with the bath water. 

• Agree 1

22 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

If he only had a clause saying "No goals - no pay" - he would be heading to the socials 🙂

Here's what Tommy T has to say on his parting of ways:

‘I felt it, strangely, when I drove to the training centre. The meeting we had felt unusual – and it turned out to be a very short meeting. It was 8am, or something, and it lasted three to five minutes. I was also not in the mood to talk longer.

‘The decision had been made and, honestly, it was a shock for all of us. We had a feeling that we were in the right spot at the right time. We felt that we could achieve big things and we wanted to stay longer – it was as simple as that.

We had big relationships, huge relationships within the staff. We still do. How long did it take me to get over? It still hurts in a way – I’m not able to see these people on a daily basis. I love this job: I have a passion for it, I can tell you.

‘We built an extraordinary bond in the circumstances. We started there during Covid, during Brexit – then came the change of ownership. We were a strong, strong group (at Cobham). It wasn’t in my hands to take this decision. I was no longer part of this group, a group that felt like a family.’

One accusation levelled after Tuchel had left was that he had lost the dressing room and players had become worn down; he had been irritable during the club’s tour of the United States last summer and insisted things needed to change.

But asked if he had received messages from the players after leaving, Tuchel replied: ‘Yeah – and I still have a good bond with the players. We still text, there are many messages. I have found many friends at the Chelsea training centre.

‘This will not end because of a new job. It will be difficult to keep in touch and see each other but the friendships will stay.’

One bond that looks certain to be rekindled is with Anthony Barry. The highly-respected coach has been told to stay away from Chelsea while the clubs negotiate compensation and Tuchel is eager to be reunited with a man he values hugely.

‘The discussions are taking place at a club level,’ said Tuchel, who has also been linked with a summer move for England international Mason Mount. ‘It is still my wish (he comes). It’s between the clubs but I am optimistic.’