Chelsea Sack Graham Potter

My Blood Is Blue

4 hours ago, Original 21 said:

I don't know a great deal about Nagelsmann, certainly not enough to be advocating for him. But that article is filler bullsh*t. What's the central criticism of him, there? When in charge of smaller clubs, he lost to much bigger clubs in the CL? His clothes are a bit sh*t? It's standard Guardian fart-sniffing stuff, not at all "sobering".

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Max Fowler said:

They’ll need someone lined up to take over straight away, as the back room staff is largely Potters men isn’t it?

I really do hope he’s gone asap, it’s gone beyond a joke at this point and is just embarrassing for everyone involved.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, ROTG said:

Villa paid peanuts (£2m) to get a 4 time winner of the Europa league winner and semi finalist of the CL.

TB paid in excess of £20m for team GP.

not a Emery fan. However the show he has a better coach then team GP in the PL. 

post match. 

in his 15 PL matches villa coach Emery has won 29 points, Whereas chelsea coach Dick Emery has won 18 in 21 matches 

had the club paid £2 million quid for Unai rather than giving Brighton £20 million for Dick to replace TT and using basic stats for a TB type persons after 21 matches Unai would have got 41 points add that to 10 left by TT the club would have 51 points in 5th one point off 4th. 

it’s a funny old game. 

• Angry 1

They need to get Nagelsmann in asap to at least give us a shot for the CL.

8/8 CL wins this season, including games against Barcelona, Inter Milan and PSG.

We beat Dortmund thanks to the crowd, a bit of luck with the goals and Dortmund having a few injuries.

That isn't going to help us against Madrid over 2 legs.

Poor result at home against a Liverpool team devoid of any confidence and momentum and they may well just pull the plug on Potter. 

The narrative is changing ever so slightly from the staunch backing he was getting previously to things like  “Chelsea will discuss internally”  

After Liverpool,  we have 8 days before Madrid.  Admittedly, away at Wolves in-between, but if you’re going to do it before the season ends, now is the time to do it. 

I personally think it’s inevitable.  If not now, it will be at the end of the season.  Our upcoming run of fixtures will really shine a light of how out of his depth he is IMO. 

I'm disappointed to not see him sacked this morning but I'm even more disappointed that nobody in the media that I have read so far has questioned why we had wing backs playing out of position meaning midfielders also had to be played out of position to compensate whilst we had two centre halves on the bench presumably fit . 

It's evident they're delighted we aren't troubling the red teams any more .

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

It's like they are jumping on the bandwagon but don't now why. 

I noticed the media will not sledge their darling GP. 
can you imagine the sledging people  JM, TT, SFL, Conte would be getting if the were in GP boots 

IMO, 3 teams Palace, Southampton and Bournemouth waiting to see what happens to GP at the end of the season. 

2 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

I don't know a great deal about Nagelsmann, certainly not enough to be advocating for him. But that article is filler bullsh*t. What's the central criticism of him, there? When in charge of smaller clubs, he lost to much bigger clubs in the CL? His clothes are a bit sh*t? It's standard Guardian fart-sniffing stuff, not at all "sobering".

I don't care what colour trousers Nagelsmann wears .

Any randomly selected coach in Europe's top five leagues would be better at coaching this side than Potter .

Even David Moyes!

8 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I'm disappointed to not see him sacked this morning but I'm even more disappointed that nobody in the media that I have read so far has questioned why we had wing backs playing out of position meaning midfielders also had to be played out of position to compensate whilst we had two centre halves on the bench presumably fit . 

Still early Mark so plenty of time. 

I think one of the problems is that we have no one at the club, who could take over short term that isn't part of Potters team so we would need to employ someone, which does complicate things slightly. It's a real mess, not just how bad Potter is but how balls deep we went in with him. Structured the whole club around him with no foresight into what would happen if things went wrong. 

• Agree 2

13 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Did Matt Law? I think he said Potter made mistakes..

All this squee for Nagelsmann, are we in danger of wishing for the newest flavour of the month again? Honestly, who had heard much of him before he was sacked by Bayern? What has he won, apart from the ubiquitous Bayern controlled Bundesliga, once? If we ever get rid of Potter in my lifetime I think we need to  opt for a proven winner, albeit probably ending up being the usual 18-24 month appointment, that can sort out the squad and getting it to play together as opposed to at odds with one another as it is at present. I think it would be another mistake to bring in the newest bright young thing at this point. The club has become so fundementally fucked up that it needs experience to sort it out at this point.

1 minute ago, Holymoly said:

All this squee for Nagelsmann, are we in danger of wishing for the newest flavour of the month again? Honestly, who had heard much of him before he was sacked by Bayern? What has he won, apart from the ubiquitous Bayern controlled Bundesliga, once? If we ever get rid of Potter in my lifetime I think we need to  opt for a proven winner, albeit probably ending up being the usual 18-24 month appointment, that can sort out the squad and getting it to play together as opposed to at odds with one another as it is at present. I think it would be another mistake to bring in the newest bright young thing at this point. The club has become so fundementally fucked up that it needs experience to sort it out at this point.

Literally anyone that follows football.

He's been around for years now and his record is phenomenal. 

In terms of proven winners, and I 100% get the argument of going down that route, the question is who? There's not many left that we haven't already had.

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

Still early Mark so plenty of time. 

I think one of the problems is that we have no one at the club, who could take over short term that isn't part of Potters team so we would need to employ someone, which does complicate things slightly. It's a real mess, not just how bad Potter is but how balls deep we went in with him. Structured the whole club around him with no foresight into what would happen if things went wrong. 

Anthony Barry was here before Potter. Unfortunately though, even he wants to leave which says an awful lot about our current manager. 

Barry is only 36 and ultimately wants to become a head coach himself. I can only assume he must feel like working with Potter is a real waste of time and doesn't want to be associated with this mess any more as it could impact his reputation and career prospects. 

Where does he want to go? Rejoin Tuchel of course. Who can blame him. 

• Agree 1

You’d hope the final nails in Potter’s employment coffin, would be yesterday’s abject selection and result, coupled with a long standing coach deciding he wants to leave the country and go work with his previous coach - I think the latter though will just make our owners dig their heels in deeper.

A trait that megalomaniacs have, can’t have their judgements judged.

19 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

All this squee for Nagelsmann, are we in danger of wishing for the newest flavour of the month again?

I don’t think GP has ever been flavour of the month as a Chelsea coach with any of our supporters, only a media darling for the England job. Unfortunately our inexperienced new owner believed the media hype. 

13 minutes ago, Bison said:

Anthony Barry was here before Potter. Unfortunately though, even he wants to leave which says an awful lot about our current manager. 

Barry is only 36 and ultimately wants to become a head coach himself. I can only assume he must feel like working with Potter is a real waste of time and doesn't want to be associated with this mess any more as it could impact his reputation and career prospects. 

Where does he want to go? Rejoin Tuchel of course. Who can blame him. 

Yeah, I didn't include him for the reason that he won't be here for long.

I do think his departure will do us a favour though. When he sits down with Todd to discuss why he wants to leave and rejoin the man we sacked we can only hope he's completely honest and Todd listens to him.

2 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

Yeah, I didn't include him for the reason that he won't be here for long.

I do think his departure will do us a favour though. When he sits down with Todd to discuss why he wants to leave and rejoin the man we sacked we can only hope he's completely honest and Todd listens to him.

Would love to be a fly on the wall for Barry's exit interview if there was one. Nobody can better explain just how badly standards have slipped from a coaching perspective. 

3 minutes ago, Bison said:

Would love to be a fly on the wall for Barry's exit interview if there was one. Nobody can better explain just how badly standards have slipped from a coaching perspective. 

I doubt TB even cares. He now has a sports department to deal with trivial issues like this.

6 minutes ago, ROTG said:

I doubt TB even cares. He now has a sports department to deal with trivial issues like this.

I bet Boehly avoids them like the plague. He made their jobs infinitely harder by appointing a manager at great expense before hiring them into their roles. And he won't sack Potter either no matter how bad things are. What are sporting & technical directors doing here if they aren't the ones driving the football operation? 

Edited by Bison

26 minutes ago, Bison said:

I bet Boehly avoids them like the plague. He made their jobs infinitely harder by appointing a manager at great expense before hiring them into their roles. And he won't sack Potter either no matter how bad things are. What are sporting & technical directors doing here if they aren't the ones driving the football operation? 

Being a missionary who preaches to congregations in all four corners of the planet.  
most of the time the preaching is sponsored by our cousins across the water who demand daily feedback on how  their sermons are being absorbed by the local parish. 

In simple terms, TB will have a daily meeting with his sports department and Potter and another meeting with his sports department to discuss high level issues like potter and his performance.

Edited by ROTG
Before the smart ass answers, I am one who believes that the club is in the missionary position. Sorry Mods for the innuendos.

From The Athletic:

Chelsea are 11th, which is where they would sit if the Premier League season had started the day Potter was appointed. His 22 matches have yielded 21 goals for and 21 against. Over that time his team’s accumulated xG is 28.3, while the accumulated xG against is 27.2. By virtually every statistical measure, this Premier League sample size which is no longer insignificantly small screams mediocrity. 

• Angry 1

Just now, Bison said:

From The Athletic:

Chelsea are 11th, which is where they would sit if the Premier League season had started the day Potter was appointed. His 22 matches have yielded 21 goals for and 21 against. Over that time his team’s accumulated xG is 28.3, while the accumulated xG against is 27.2. By virtually every statistical measure, this Premier League sample size which is no longer insignificantly small screams mediocrity. 

I don't think we're that good.