Chelsea Sack Graham Potter

My Blood Is Blue

"Graham has agreed to collaborate with the Club to facilitate a smooth transition."

honestly when I read this. So glad we chose someone collaborative!

FFS!

Honestly the big worry now is - CAN THE BOARD GET THEIR ACT TOGETHER WITH THE NEXT APPOINTMENT?

They have proved they know NOTHING ABOUT FOOTBALL so far.

NOTHING.

Boehly is absolutely clueless on that front.

Just now, Max Fowler said:

"Graham has agreed to collaborate with the Club to facilitate a smooth transition."

honestly when I read this. So glad we chose someone collaborative!

FFS!

Honestly the big worry now is - CAN THE BOARD GET THEIR ACT TOGETHER WITH THE NEXT APPOINTMENT?

They have proved they know NOTHING ABOUT FOOTBALL so far.

NOTHING.

Boehly is absolutely clueless on that front.

This next appointment is massive for the owners. They simply cannot afford to get it wrong. 

It’ll be interesting to see how long the contract will be for the next man…

Hmm... It seems to me that the new owner made a lot of effort to employ knowledgable football people in the "back room"....time will tell if the right appointments were made.

GP was not working out and the bad result yesterday was at one level just that..a bad result...for well documented reasons...that one result didn't lead to the news today.the long term issue for me and others I think was that we could not see any progressive successful way forward under the GP regime.

Maybe the owners are the anti football devils called by some but a hard decision has just been made.One that leaves egg etc as promoted by the ever enthusiastic media but one that was necessary in many ways and Todd and Co grasped the nettle.

It was a gamble appointment from the first get go and unfortunately GP was not able to make the step up... in the real world that leads to the inevtable p45...

Who next?...the real question.

• Like 2

From the BBC web site:

Analysis - Lack of progress was Potter's downfall

BBC Sport's Alex Howell

Things have moved quickly at Stamford Bridge. On Sunday morning, the media plan was sent out for the press conference that Potter was due to be holding on Monday afternoon before the match against Liverpool, but by 8pm that evening he was no longer in charge.

The feeling at Stamford Bridge is that it was not solely the poor results that have led to his dismissal but a lack of progress from the team overall.

The decision to relieve him from his post was led by Paul Winstanley and Lawrence Stewart the co-sporting directors, with backing from chairman Todd Boehly and co-owner Behdad Eghbali.

It is understood that Potter will not receive the full five years payment for his contract that he signed in 2022.

It is felt that having Bruno in charge will give the team the best chance of salvaging the season.

The search for a new manager begins now but it is not expected that a replacement will be named in the next few days.

3 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

Can we all admit - Potter is a nice guy and we wish him all the best in future!

Agreed. Can I point out however that it took my conversion to the "out" campaign for this to come to pass. Onward and upward.

• Haha 1

I feel like Conte would be the perfect recruit for the squad in the short term, but definitely would not work out with the board. I am in the camp of get someone experienced and hard nosed in to steady the ship,  get our house in order and get the players perfroming, even if just short term (say 18 months max) then take stock and get a long term recruit in if necessary.

Should never have sacked TT really, new owners really soiled the proverbial bed with that one. Even more frustrating that the standard in the league is so poor that we could genuinely be challenging this season

6 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

From the BBC web site:

Analysis - Lack of progress was Potter's downfall

BBC Sport's Alex Howell

Things have moved quickly at Stamford Bridge. On Sunday morning, the media plan was sent out for the press conference that Potter was due to be holding on Monday afternoon before the match against Liverpool, but by 8pm that evening he was no longer in charge.

The feeling at Stamford Bridge is that it was not solely the poor results that have led to his dismissal but a lack of progress from the team overall.

The decision to relieve him from his post was led by Paul Winstanley and Lawrence Stewart the co-sporting directors, with backing from chairman Todd Boehly and co-owner Behdad Eghbali.

It is understood that Potter will not receive the full five years payment for his contract that he signed in 2022.

It is felt that having Bruno in charge will give the team the best chance of salvaging the season.

The search for a new manager begins now but it is not expected that a replacement will be named in the next few days.

Interesting if the press are being briefed that it wasn't Boehlys decision but the new footballing board, or whatever their title is

54 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

Thought that about him for ages now. Seemed to have an inside line on the sanctions and new ownership but other than that he's utterly clueless.

He is  an absolute charlatan.

He will tweet 10x on one topic and people think he has real insight. 

I saw the news first on my Facebook feed. Interestingly the first person who appears to have commented on the announcement appeared to be one Wesley Fofana who said "Thank the Lord". Pretty sure it wasn't actually him but it would be interesting to know whether it is a view commonly held within the squad?

40 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

Indeed... and hopefully they, rather than Todd, will decide on who the new man will be.

I guess now we have the owners chosen structure in place this is the true "reset" of the new running of the club. It's a bit passing of the buck on the hiring of potter, but then the buck ultimately stops with the new owners on the whole situation.

Just leaves a lot of room for finger pointing if things continue to go south from here as nothing has been joined up. Praying for us all that everything falls into place, think as fans we would love to see a considered plan bearing fruits moving forward. I just hope we didn't go too much too soon and fudge it before it had a chance, at the moment it seems like the old disconnected pattern of hiring players without the managers input but x10.

Now we need to find a manager to suit the recruitment and it is all backwards. However I have faith that a manager worth their salt would get a tune from this (on paper) great squad, which is why I favour a pragmatic conte type manager that can do that

Edited by Lump Of Celery
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, chara said:

Who next?...the real question.

There's a sizeable part of me that still wants us to be a bit cavalier in our next hire, and this individual was who I wanted us to hire originally over Potter - get me one Big Ange Postecoglou.

More likely though it'll likely be one of Nagelsmann, Pochettino, or Luis Enrique. None really give me that tingling feeling of excitement, but I think Pochettino ticks the most boxes and has a solid body of work when it comes to building young sides up.

18 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

There's a sizeable part of me that still wants us to be a bit cavalier in our next hire, and this individual was who I wanted us to hire originally over Potter - get me one Big Ange Postecoglou.

More likely though it'll likely be one of Nagelsmann, Pochettino, or Luis Enrique. None really give me that tingling feeling of excitement, but I think Pochettino ticks the most boxes and has a solid body of work when it comes to building young sides up.

ange? no way in hell!!!

36 minutes ago, Liquidator said:

Jose ....your team needs you.....

Would have him back in a heartbeat.

556376_602310696452408_2085582399_n.jpg

Yes, so would I. However, his return is unlikely atm.  Potter had to go,  of that there's little doubt. Won't be missed  I'm afraid. Who the club appoints now will be very interesting.

I'd be tempted to give JT a shot. He loves the club, and the fans love him. 

42 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

Yes, so would I. However, his return is unlikely atm.  Potter had to go,  of that there's little doubt. Won't be missed  I'm afraid. Who the club appoints now will be very interesting.

I'd be tempted to give JT a shot. He loves the club, and the fans love him. 

#me too. But I think the love affair has cooled due to some unsavoury insults he got from a small but significant number of our fans on this last return. It was when he held Up his 3 fingers to his abusers. It really did get a bit sour. There’s posters on this forum that would say “ over my dead body” .  The fact is we could do a lot worse.But  I have always felt that Jose did his best work with a great number 2. Steve Clarke was the perfect foil. 
Jose/Lampard ticket anyone? 

1 hour ago, Max Fowler said:

ange? no way in hell!!!

Has won everywhere he's been across various clubs and levels - including internationally. Plays some seriously good and exciting football - again replicated across all the clubs he's been at. Handles the media really well, and also has that "dog in him" when it comes to demanding a standard from his players. 

I wanted him over Potter originally, and while this probably isn't the time for such a hire, I did state that if we were to be more cavalier he's my preferred option. 

We'll most likely, and sensibly, go for someone more proven even if it means recycling the usual suspects.

I have to say i listened to a couple of interviews with nagelsmann and was convinced

(Same when tuchel first joined)

i always thought nagelsmann looked like a bit of a dweeb in pictures

He comes across with great authority. Talks with gravitas. Intelligence.

He's the right man for the job imo!!!!