Chelsea Sack Graham Potter

My Blood Is Blue

1 minute ago, xceleryx said:

Has won everywhere he's been across various clubs and levels - including internationally. Plays some seriously good and exciting football - again replicated across all the clubs he's been at. Handles the media really well, and also has that "dog in him" when it comes to demanding a standard from his players. 

I wanted him over Potter originally, and while this probably isn't the time for such a hire, I did state that if we were to be more cavalier he's my preferred option. 

We'll most likely, and sensibly, go for someone more proven even if it means recycling the usual suspects.

He actually comes across stronger than I thought, but you have to get someone who looks and sounds like the Chelsea manager as much as anything else. 
Is it too limited to say that having a German manager in charge makes more sense to fans than having an Australian?
It's a bit like Leeds with Marsch - never felt quite right to the Leeds fans with an American in charge.

Makes much more sense having an Argentinian or Spanish manager. These are footballing countries that make sense to fans.

4 hours ago, Max Fowler said:

Finally!
Please can everyone who insisted time after time he would be here until the end of the season as if they new he would be admit they got it completely wrong?

I don’t think anyone insisted anything. Maybe hoped, maybe expected. My consideration was that he would stay all the while we were still in the CL …he did seem to have the rub of the green in that competition, and as that’s the only way were going to get into CL ( by winning it) I’d have gambled on that. As long as shot as that was , it was not unthinkable. Obviously then if we had got past Madrid we would have been closer to end of the season. 
But Villa game was quite dreadful . James as a CB? RLC as a right winger?? And yes his players let him down in front of goal every single game but one would have thought Aubameyang would have been given at least as sniff seeing as he’s our only proper Number 9.  What did Havertz do to deserve that loyalty.  But heyho, we still have a club. Remember this time last year? 

2 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

I haven’t ben following Bayern closely but what were the reasons for his sacking?

• Butted heads with some of the senior figures (Neuer for example). 
  • Some didn't like his training methods.
  • A lack of progression being seen on the pitch. 
  • Was divide on his relationship with tabloid reporter for Bild (Germany equiv of The Sun), that was established after divorcing his wife. Tactics and team info was leaked in Bild before one match earlier in the season. 

Those were a handful of thing that've popped up, not sure if there's been an official reasoning. Keep in mind this is a Bayern board that rarely reacts in haste, so you'd have to think there'd been some concerns in private prior to making a decision.

27 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

He actually comes across stronger than I thought, but you have to get someone who looks and sounds like the Chelsea manager as much as anything else. 
Is it too limited to say that having a German manager in charge makes more sense to fans than having an Australian?
It's a bit like Leeds with Marsch - never felt quite right to the Leeds fans with an American in charge.

Makes much more sense having an Argentinian or Spanish manager. These are footballing countries that make sense to fans.

There's a few good Youtube videos out there that provide greater insight into Ange's career and style of management. He's been highly regarded for years, but it probably wasn't until his spell in Japan and now Celtic where it's really begun to grow more. He's certainly not a mug that's for sure. 

Of course, being an Australian manager doesn't quite carry the same panache of more reputable and established footballing nations, but it shouldn't take away from his management qualities either. 

It would naturally big a step up, but having followed Ange for some time now I am confident he has the stones needed for where we are as a club right now. In ways, it's kinda good timing because of just how far we've slipped under Potter. 

But yeah, it's unlikely. As long as he doesn't end up at Spurs in the summer hopefully he'll land a Premier League gig soon elsewhere. 

• Agree 1

30 minutes ago, xceleryx said:
  • Was divide on his relationship with tabloid reporter for Bild (Germany equiv of The Sun), that was established after divorcing his wife. Tactics and team info was leaked in Bild before one match earlier in the season. 

Those were a handful of thing that've popped up, not sure if there's been an official reasoning. Keep in mind this is a Bayern board that rarely reacts in haste, so you'd have to think there'd been some concerns in private prior to making a decision.

So a combination of reasons both on and off the pitch. 
That would be a tense affair then if we played BM in CL next round with Tuchel in charge. 

1 hour ago, xceleryx said:

Sounds like player power again.So we swap a manager in Tuchel and replace him with a Tuchel tribute act?

Seems to me we should have stuck with Tuchel at a much less financial risk.

1 hour ago, NoblyBobly said:

So a combination of reasons both on and off the pitch. 
That would be a tense affair then if we played BM in CL next round with Tuchel in charge. 

Gotta get there first, still a lot of work to do before then. Would certainly be an interesting turn of events though. 

2 minutes ago, kev61 said:

Sounds like player power again.So we swap a manager in Tuchel and replace him with a Tuchel tribute act?

It's a bit of a mixed bag really between the player power of senior figures, Nags not getting the best of out several players like Mane and Dane, and then his own methods and personal life on top. 

As someone who was firmly against sacking Tuchel to begin with I'd have been perfectly fine with keeping him. 

7 minutes ago, kev61 said:

Sounds like player power again.

Would not be surprised if there was a little bit of player power going on in the background at Chelsea "especially after Saturdays starting line-up".

8 minutes ago, kev61 said:

Sorry I should have mentioned the in between manager that was quite unremarkable, or a waste of space in layman's speak.

5 minutes ago, ROTG said:

Would not be surprised if there was a little bit of player power going on in the background at Chelsea "especially after Saturdays starting line-up".

Put yourself in the mind of a professional footballer.They're not Zombies.I can imagine they thought 'what the fcuk is this guy on about?.

They are financially set for life so I imagine some will have a right laugh at Potter.

Unacceptable for sure but that is the modern game.

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, kev61 said:

Sorry I should have mentioned the in between manager that was quite unremarkable, or a waste of space in layman's speak.

Sad thing is GP didn't even make it to dislike...at least Tubby had a good wind of sheer dislike behind him and was ..gulp...a better coach but then that is hardly a compliment!

2 minutes ago, kev61 said:

Put yourself in the mind of a professional footballer.They're not Zombies.I can imagine they thought 'what the fcuk is this guy on about?.

They are financially set for life so I imagine some will have a right laugh at Potter.

Unacceptable for sure but that is the modern game.

Most of us can look at a squad we have knowledge of and pick a balanced side..it's not rocket science...the expertise is in giving that squad a tactical playable set up to follow.

Over simplification I know but I am a simple soul!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65158578

"Chelsea's brutal sacking of manager Graham Potter is the latest twist in the brief and chaotic reign of owner Todd Boehly.

Boehly lured the 47-year-old away from the stable surroundings of Brighton and a team he had been allowed to build with patience, time and stability in September into a club where those three commodities are alien concepts."

McNumpty at it again. 

55 minutes ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65158578

"Chelsea's brutal sacking of manager Graham Potter is the latest twist in the brief and chaotic reign of owner Todd Boehly.

Boehly lured the 47-year-old away from the stable surroundings of Brighton and a team he had been allowed to build with patience, time and stability in September into a club where those three commodities are alien concepts."

McNumpty at it again. 

They fail to understand that Boehly and co have shown more than enough patience and support and seen zero progression in that time, that's ultimately why Potter is out of a job. If this was RA times Potter would've have made Christmas. 

You can't reward regression and that's exactly what we'd be doing had Potter remained. There was no signs that indicated he'd either 1) turn us around, or 2) shown he was the man to lead us forward. 

• Agree 2

10 hours ago, martin1905 said:

What's your issue with Nagelsmann Dave?

I think he has that air of Villa-Boas about him… Also,  bit like the German Potter although he has done it one season with Bayern (in a poxy league). 

I much rather we signed experience this time around. Think Nagelsmann could be a disaster directly after Potter… 

And yet we looked worse with every game. 

Meanwhile Tuchel was playing games every 2-3 days, dealing with the sanctions, a disastrous pre-season organised by the club and the breakdown of his marriage and was making it work somehow. 

4 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

I think he has that air of Villa-Boas about him… Also,  bit like the German Potter although he has done it one season with Bayern (in a poxy league). 

I much rather we signed experience this time around. Think Nagelsmann could be a disaster directly after Potter… 

I would prefer Zidane most of all, but it seems like that's not a possibility at all and isn't talked about at all as realistic by the press. Or Tuchel back if the owners would have admitted their mistake, too late for that now. 

Nageslmann has 8/8 wins in the CL season including against Barca, Inter and PSG. That's solid and exactly what we need right now. 

Luis Enrique I am not sure of. Been out of the Club game far too long for my liking. 

Conte doesn't have the CL credentials. 

Jose isn't available but that would be more of a sentimental choice and I don't think the current generation would react well to his personality and would be crybabies about him. Plus he hasn't experienced CL in a while.

3 minutes ago, Bison said:

And yet we looked worse with every game. 

Meanwhile Tuchel was playing games every 2-3 days, dealing with the sanctions, a disastrous pre-season organised by the club and the breakdown of his marriage and was making it work somehow. 

Yes Potter had so many opportunities to sort it out. The 2-3 weeks off due to the Queen's death and then an International break.

World Cup break.

Us getting knocked out of the domestic Cups in the first rounds freeing up many midweeks and weekends.

Nothing got sorted out. In fact it all got worse. 

• Agree 2

10 hours ago, Max Fowler said:

Absolutely my number 1 choice for replacement is Jose now. Not convinced about Nagelsmann but would take him!!!

8 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

Yes, so would I. However, his return is unlikely atm.  Potter had to go,  of that there's little doubt. Won't be missed  I'm afraid. Who the club appoints now will be very interesting.

I'd be tempted to give JT a shot. He loves the club, and the fans love him. 

I’m surprised that so many are asking for JM. Personally I will be forever greatful to the man but I also feel his time is up - he simply hasn’t evolved together with the game and feels a bit antiquated these days.

• Agree 1