Chelsea Sack Graham Potter

My Blood Is Blue

With the alleged summer cull of the first team squad, I guess whoever is the most willing to work with the sporting department, probably has the best chance of landing the Cheslea gig.

Which puts some like Conte out of contention? 

5 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

Ms?

OOOppps2 - sorry - of course - very unpolite of me 🙂

About Potter:

31 matches

33 goals scored

31 goals conceded

12 wins - 8 draws - 11 losses , win rate 38,7%

Terrible, simply terrible.

Edited by asvaberg

2 hours ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65158578

McNumpty at it again. 

The bit about Potter's reputation not being damaged is laughable. In the sense that he'll walk back into a PL job, sure. But he's not getting a job at a CL club (we at least were when he got here!) without years and years of rebuilding, and I'd wager just isn't getting a job like that ever again. Those clubs will have noticed what has happened here. And he isn't getting a job at the level he left to come here for a while, either. That will require less of a rehabilitation, but Brighton have moved beyond him and there isn't a top 10 side who don't have a better coach, imo.

The owners have made a series of ridiculous f**k ups and this all reflects far worse on them, but that does not change the fact that Potter has been well and truly found out. There's no sensible questions to be asked about his level. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Sleeping Dave said:

I think he has that air of Villa-Boas about him… Also,  bit like the German Potter although he has done it one season with Bayern (in a poxy league). 

I much rather we signed experience this time around. Think Nagelsmann could be a disaster directly after Potter… 

Tend to agree. Not sure on the AVB comparisons, as not heard too much from Nagelsmann.

Whilst I can fully see the sexy profile of him as a manager. I would be massively underwhelmed were he to get the job. It just doesn't seem a good fit for what we need, and looks much closer to the fit we have had recently that has not worked (Lamps, Potter)

I fully get that Nagelsmann has achieved more than Frank or Potter as a manager. I am not doubting his ability as a manager, as I am sure there is substance to his reputation.

I am doubting him as being the right manager for Chelsea right now though. Had we appointed him straight after Tuchel, it would probably excite me. I'd be happy to let him pass and go elsewhere now though. Wrong place , wrong time.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

The bit about Potter's reputation not being damaged is laughable. In the sense that he'll walk back into a PL job

At least 3 teams Palace, Southampton and Bournemouth all were waiting until the summer to see what happen to Potter. I expect he is now favorite for all of those vacancies.

We don't need to rush this decision either. The season is already a write off and we have very little to play for. I wouldn't be against letting Bruno take the reigns for the remainder of the season if need be.

We can afford to take our time with this appointment and actually interview 7-8 candidates. I'm not convinced we did that when we hired Potter. He seemed to be the man the owners were bought into from the start.

I just hope we don't rush it because of current availability.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65158578

"Chelsea's brutal sacking of manager Graham Potter is the latest twist in the brief and chaotic reign of owner Todd Boehly.

Boehly lured the 47-year-old away from the stable surroundings of Brighton and a team he had been allowed to build with patience, time and stability in September into a club where those three commodities are alien concepts."

McNumpty at it again. 

He truly is a vile biased cretin of a Scouser. Let's hope Potter gets the Liverpool job when they sack Klippety.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Sad that it didn't work out for GP and I still think he should have stayed until at least the end of this season. 

We keep saying we need to stop this hiring and firing if things don't go well, but we never do. How is any manager ever going to be encouraged to put into a place a longterm plan if they know they only have matter of months to start getting results and turn things around?  

Anyway, I'm not one to linger on managers or players moving on, so onwards and upwards and best of luck to whoever it is who takes over.

13 minutes ago, Thiago97 said:

The press seem to have been briefed that there isn't a "done deal" as it were and that there will be no announcements in the next few days. Certainly no one would want the job in time for Liverpool. If it wasn't for the Real Madrid games, I could see what you are suggesting happening. But I can't see the owners or board wanting us going into those games without an actual head coach.

It all adds to my wondering about what actually got Potter the boot. I suspect it's precisely who just became available (and their link to Vivell). Surely it cannot be the Villa result, or even recent results as a whole ... Appalling performances and results didn't seem to bother anyone before. Could it be Barry wanting (and by some accounts, very desperately) to go? Or player discontent? Or the mood at home games?

I suppose the other variable is ... Who wants to come here? I never had any worry about takers for the Chelsea job under Abramovich. We were perennially in the CL and winning trophies, so why wouldn't you "risk" coming here? But now ... We're in huge flux, looking well behind who were our competitors ... And with owners who may say the right things about the long-term, but whose actions are nakedly and drastically (even by our standards) short-termist and reactionary. Two sackings in 7 months ... That will be enough to sober the mind of anyone we approach.

It's a huge decision, the biggest in years.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

Sad that it didn't work out for GP and I still think he should have stayed until at least the end of this season. 

We keep saying we need to stop this hiring and firing if things don't go well, but we never do. How is any manager ever going to be encouraged to put into a place a longterm plan if they know they only have matter of months to start getting results and turn things around?  

Anyway, I'm not one to linger on managers or players moving on, so onwards and upwards and best of luck to whoever it is who takes over.

I think Potter would've had more time IF we were seeing encouraging signs and improvements. Hard to justify keeping him on board when we've regressed in virtually every aspect, and then we see the sort of team selections he opts for like in the Villa game. 

But yeah, it's done now so it's all about moving forward. By the sounds of it we're going to take our time to make a decision, so I wouldn't be shocked if we don't have a replacement until end of the season right in time for the summer transfer window. 

• Agree 2

I think people are reading too much into the whole "collaboration" thing. All it means I think is that he is prepared to let his back room staff continue on until a relacement is found. That's probably another hallmark of the guy, ensuring his team aren't suddenly left with no regular income until he can find another gig himself.

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

I think people are reading too much into the whole "collaboration" thing. All it means I think is that he is prepared to let his back room staff continue on until a relacement is found. That's probably another hallmark of the guy, ensuring his team aren't suddenly left with no regular income until he can find another gig himself.

It's just being "collaborative" was sold time after time by new Chelsea as one of Potter's key attributes and one that implicitly Tuchel lacked. It's a meaningless bullsh*t American corporate buzzword and it's laughably ironic that Potter is now collaborating by bleaching his own toilet on the way out (to avoid additional cleaning charges).

I hope "collaborative" is about 50th down the list of attributes we look for in our next manager.

Numbers 1, 2 and 3 being winner, winner and winner.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

I wouldn't normally jump in to say this, but my guess is that those expecting some sort of bounce or improvement in form  from this are probably going to be a bit disappointed. If the interim coach has been on the training ground all through this, along with the part-time Swedish DJ and Billy Reid, what exactly is changing day to day, apart from no Anthony Barry?

It's not like they are going to miraculously stop Felix from hitting the post or Havertz and Mudryk from missing sitters overnight.

I guess they may feel the need to be less "injury-cautious" than GP with the selections, which will either work to some degree, or make things worse in the short term. 

5 minutes ago, McCreadie said:

I wouldn't normally jump in to say this, but my guess is that those expecting some sort of bounce or improvement in form  from this are probably going to be a bit disappointed. If the interim coach has been on the training ground all through this, along with the part-time Swedish DJ and Billy Reid, what exactly is changing day to day, apart from no Anthony Barry?

It's not like they are going to miraculously stop Felix from hitting the post or Havertz and Mudryk from missing sitters overnight.

I guess they may feel the need to be less "injury-cautious" than GP with the selections, which will either work to some degree, or make things worse in the short term. 

Actually I think the biggest relief will be the sense we're not stuck with Potter whatever happens for another year.

As long as we don't get relegated - next manager is most important.

7 minutes ago, McCreadie said:

I wouldn't normally jump in to say this, but my guess is that those expecting some sort of bounce or improvement in form  from this are probably going to be a bit disappointed.

Totally agree Eddie. While we obviously need someone to take training and pin the teamsheet on the noticeboard I fear that short term we will only see more of the same old stuff. But them what do I know? Maybe by some mystical alignment of the planets on a universal scale Bruno Salter will turn out to be the second coming? After all, selecting managers seems to be an art rather than a science.. Fingers crossed but ironically I think our chances of beating Madrid have now disappeared through the floor while league form may see a slight dead sheep bounce.

51 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

Any idea what Potters long term plan was because from the outside it seemed to be to confuse the f**k out of all the players and nause up every match with clueless substitutions?

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Thiago97 said:

We don't need to rush this decision either. The season is already a write off and we have very little to play for. I wouldn't be against letting Bruno take the reigns for the remainder of the season if need be.

We can afford to take our time with this appointment and actually interview 7-8 candidates. I'm not convinced we did that when we hired Potter. He seemed to be the man the owners were bought into from the start.

While there's no rush, it could make sense to try and get a permanent manager in now, rather than have an interim until the summer. Our squad needs serious culling, and the final 10 PL games would give that new coach a real insight into who who wants to keep and who he wants to let go with next season in mind.

• Agree 1

The hysteria in the media , none of whom would have Potter coaching "their" sides is proof beyond measure that getting rid is exactly the right thing . 

If Bruno takes to the pitch dressed as Mr Blobby and conducts his team talk in Mandarin It'd be a step up.

• Haha 3

18 minutes ago, McCreadie said:

It really all depends on who was actually the driving force behind the bizarre selections. Also, don't underestimate the effect of tinkering and a concentration on appeasement can have on the confidence and morale of players, which feeds in to the margins of performance.

Just now, Bob Singleton said:

While there's no rush, it could make sense to try and get a permanent manager in now, rather than have an interim until the summer. Our squad needs serious culling, and the final 10 PL games would give that new coach a real insight into who who wants to keep and who he wants to let go with next season in mind.

It could make sense but it could also mean yet another manager wanting to give everybody a go and using players like Pulisic, Ziyech, Kepa etc who should have no future here whatsoever.

This is where I hope the directors who have been brought in are actually aware of the deficiencies within the squad themselves and don't need a new manager to hold their hand after a lengthy review process.

7 hours ago, ROTG said:

Would not be surprised if there was a little bit of player power going on in the background at Chelsea "especially after Saturdays starting line-up".

I always thought Potter could hang on as long as players seemed onside…and they did seem ok up to that point, but that game and his selection choices showed otherwise. They lost faith in him . 

9 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

Yeah I can see it from that side too. I just have this sense that the peak of a manager cycle seems to be reducing more and more these days. Some exceptions to this obviously. I'd be concerned we have short term hit over a fairly pointless stage of the season, before starting a new season and pre -season with everyone fully dialled in with a new manager in place.

I'm more and more coming around to the conclusion that so much with football management comes down to timing. Being in the right place at a time where the players are right for what you want to achieve is huge.

I'm not too sure what we have now is right for anyone though. Not in terms of talent, but in terms of players settling, many options, no central striker etc etc.

So I can kinda see it from both side though. I just think leave this current mess down to someone else and start afresh from day one in May.