Chelsea Sack Graham Potter

My Blood Is Blue

As it is loolking like we will need to have a squad clear out starting in June re FFP surely it would be better to get a manager in early to give him the chance to decide who he thinks should go versus stays.

Whilst there may be no rush there is also absolutely no reason not to get someone in a quick as possible, certainly before the Madrid game. I mean look at Bayern, Tuchel was in charge taking training literally the next day. No point wasting time. No point sacking him now if they haven't already done the groundwork for his replacement.

The only reason to wait is that the man they want isn't available until the summer.

If it's going to be Poch, Nagelsmann or Enrique why wait?

I expect Nagelsmann within the next 48 hours.

40 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

While there's no rush, it could make sense to try and get a permanent manager in now, rather than have an interim until the summer. Our squad needs serious culling, and the final 10 PL games would give that new coach a real insight into who who wants to keep and who he wants to let go with next season in mind.

Not sure it would make any difference, it would seem the culling list is done "if you believe the media", therefore being aligned with the sporting department is going to be huge tick in the selection process of the next head coach.

11 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

Whilst there may be no rush there is also absolutely no reason not to get someone in a quick as possible, certainly before the Madrid game. I mean look at Bayern, Tuchel was in charge taking training literally the next day. No point wasting time. No point sacking him now if they haven't already done the groundwork for his replacement.

The only reason to wait is that the man they want isn't available until the summer.

I've heard rumours we want someone in right away if at all possible.

Seems like that man is Nagelsmann.

Please not Poch though. Poch would be the biggest disaster of all.

Better Ange Postecoglou by far.

11 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

I've heard rumours we want someone in right away if at all possible.

Seems like that man is Nagelsmann.

Please not Poch though. Poch would be the biggest disaster of all.

Better Ange Postecoglou by far.

10 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

If its Nagelsmann the club will act fast, however I expect it will come with some kind of statement that the club have an agreement for Nagelsmann to take over in the summer.

I think the man will take some time out until the summer.

2 minutes ago, ROTG said:

Not sure it would make any difference, it would seem the culling list is done "if you believe the media", therefore being aligned with the sporting department is going to be huge tick in the selection process of the next head coach.

True, but every manager has preferred systems/patterns of play and a player widely tipped by the media as being "no longer wanted" might turn out to be the ideal player for one particular manager to implement their system. Look at Moses at RWB under Conte. In many respects a one-season wonder, but instrumental in our success in 2016-17.

26 minutes ago, jasonb said:

As it is loolking like we will need to have a squad clear out starting in June re FFP surely it would be better to get a manager in early to give him the chance to decide who he thinks should go versus stays.

One would hope it's completely obvious who should get the boot in 90% of the cases tbh. 

We have quite a few that have massively outstayed any reasonable welcome and are firmly in that "get the F out of my house, you told me you needed a bed for one night!" territory. 

9 minutes ago, jasonb said:

Our success under Conte was without European football  so he had a week normally to prepare for the opposition.

Unless we have a massive upsurge in results it’s looking like we’ll have no European football next season.

2 minutes ago, chrisb said:

Unless we have a massive upsurge in results it’s looking like we’ll have no European football next season.

Yes yet we have massive gaps in any pretensions to challenge, a decent striker, a defensive midfielder to pair with Enzo and a top keeper. The we have the FFP challenge to navigate this season.

51 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

It's my understanding that BM still have Nagelsmann on contract and will demand a fee to let him go now which to my mind is morally reprehensible.

Edited by Mark Kelly
Autospell

Daily Mail now speculating that Potter was simply too nice , the players were ignoring his instructions and not carrying out his instructions in the knowledge that he was too soft to throw his weight around and put them in their place.

Make.of that what you will.

• Angry 1

8 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Daily Mail now speculating that Potter was simply too nice , the players were ignoring his instructions and not carrying out his instructions in the knowledge that he was too soft to throw his weight around and put them in their place.

Make.of that what you will.

Could well be true.  It does casually ignore the fact that they haven't looked drilled, prepared or had a gameplan in months though.  

I've lost count at how many times i've seen our players looking like they have no idea what their individual or collective gameplan is since October. 

• Agree 1

28 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

Key point for me is that Potter couldn’t command the respect of the players and lacked authority. That’s why I think the next manager should be someone with stature and a proven record at the highest level. That’s why I’d pass on Nagelsmann. Personally, I think Luis Enrique  ticks all the boxes. But I’ve got a feeling we’re going to go with Nagelsmann. 

The noise in the media is that if Nagelsmann wants the job he won't come until summer to therefore boot Potter and rely on Bruno for the rest of the season must surely indicate the rumours the players didn't respect Potter have a basis of truth to them .

Maybe the interminable passing amongst the midfield and nobody making forward runs is on the players wanting an easy time and not on every recent coach who's tried to stop them doing it afterall.

2 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

The noise in the media is that if Nagelsmann wants the job he won't come until summer to therefore boot Potter and rely on Bruno for the rest of the season must surely indicate the rumours the players didn't respect Potter have a basis of truth to them .

Maybe the interminable passing amongst the midfield and nobody making forward runs is on the players wanting an easy time and not on every recent coach who's tried to stop them doing it afterall.

We kept hearing how the players like Potter and I think that is probably very true. It’s also one of the things that concerned me the most.

Thats why I keep talking about setting high standards and this needs to come from the manager. Everything under Potter just felt developmental and I think that offers players excuses and allows complacency. On the wholes, they are too young and inexperienced set of players, to allow complacency to be present and achieve positive results.

They need drilling with intensity and expectations raising.

1 hour ago, Bob Singleton said:

True, but every manager has preferred systems/patterns of play and a player widely tipped by the media as being "no longer wanted" might turn out to be the ideal player for one particular manager to implement their system. Look at Moses at RWB under Conte. In many respects a one-season wonder, but instrumental in our success in 2016-17.

You are right about the coaches and patterns of plays, I just get the impression the new sporting department have an idea to the type of football they want to see.

It would be funny to read the reaction of some on here if the new coach comes in and keeps the likes of Pulisic, Zyech and brings back Lukaku for next season.

2 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

I always thought Potter could hang on as long as players seemed onside…and they did seem ok up to that point,

Well of course they were onside with him Nobbers, from the videos you used to see from them training at Cobham they hardly seemed pushed to the limit and without any senior players capable of laying into them in the changing room they had a cushty life. No wonder Mount was getting pissed with the gulf in salaries when he saw some of these jokers swanning around puffing their cigars.

1 hour ago, chrisb said:

And to be fair it's becoming a massive achievement to emerge from a Premier League season nowadays without some sort of European football to look forward to.

(I'm using the term "achievement" in an ironic way.)

2 minutes ago, ROTG said:

You are right about the coaches and patterns of plays, I just get the impression the new sporting department have an idea to the type of football they want to see.

It would be funny to read the reaction of some on here if the new coach comes in and keeps the likes of Pulisic, Zyech and brings back Lukaku for next season.

I agree what you say but if the new coach gets Ziyech and Pulisic playing then all well and good . Lukaku should be a make-weight in another deal but if the new coach tells him that he has to lose four stone and will be weighed weekly otherwise he's not playing then I can live with that.