Chelsea Sack Graham Potter

My Blood Is Blue

2 hours ago, xceleryx said:

We looked no more or less organised than your standard Potter lead side. West Ham had like 28% possession and still ended up with only two less shots than us, more shots inside the box, and a higher expected goals rating. None of this is a positive when you really think about it. Especially when you consider the lowly state West Ham are in this season.  

West Ham aren't as bad as their league position suggests. Their goals conceded Stat is pretty solid. They've struggled to score goals - which was pretty obvious from their style of play on Saturday as they rarely threatened us. As we've seen from David Moyes' sides from his Everton days, even if they are low on the table it doesn't mean they're an easy side to face. 

We've obviously got shortcomings especially with our attacking play at the moment but Kai Havertz being offside since birth really does affect our attacking play as West Ham were there for the taking in the first half if he could have just timed his runs a bit better.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

I watched potter's  post match interview for the first time.

Jesus - it sounded like the reserve team coach giving an interview.Graham... passion has a habit of being contagious!.

Imagine if John Terry ever came out with this fence sitting irrelevance after a clear penalty was not awarded.

If Potter ever does say something controversial it will be like being savaged by a dead sheep(stolen).

We definitely showed improvement against West Ham but crikey you would expect that with the players we had available

Potter might be a good coach,but I seriously doubt he a good manager.

• Agree 1

On 12/02/2023 at 14:35, Thiago97 said:

To my mind, he has between now and end of the season to show why he is the manager to be given this opportunity long term. If we don’t see that over the final 3 months of the season, then he will be moved on. It’s a great opportunity for him and his team, but he clearly has to improve the players and clubs results.

I think most people are in agreement,but christ Graham don't go down without a fight,unless you are happy with your severance pay.

Take the blue Peter badge off Graham.You are allowed to support the team that employs you.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, kev61 said:

Thanks for the info.I was talking to my sister in laws husband today.He is a lawyer in Washington DC.

He tells me there are a lot of lawsuits regarding a thing called SIRVA (shoulder injury related to vaccine administration).

Basically it is giving you an injection(shot) in the wrong place on the upper arm.

I'm certainly not going to attach blame to anyone,but the Doctors made a massive mistake with me that could have had massive consequences if I hadn't asked questions about a recent illness.

Just saying,  stay vigilant with your health and your loved ones,doctors don't always get it right especially when they are under pressure. 

Wise advice Kev..first knee injury I had..Dr.."Are you sure it's not in your head?"

OK thinks I..down to the squash court..I serve, my mate returns, I shift to return and am on my back on the floor..my mate?..repeats the Doc's question!

MrsC bad trip over step early last year...nothing much shows up on xray..lot of pain and discomfort until late in the year..finally mri..torn Cartlidge torn ACL and broken bone...GET ANYTHING RECHECKED!!!!

Edited by chara

12 minutes ago, chara said:

Wise advice Kev..first knee injury I had..Dr.."Are you sure it's not in your head?"

OK thinks I..down to the squash court..I serve, my mate returns, I shift to return and am on my back on the floor..my mate?..repeats the Doc's question!

MrsC bad trip over step early last year...nothing much shows up on xray..lot of pain and discomfort until late in the year..finally mri..torn ca

As you know my footballing days ended with a knee injury.If I had the money to go private I would have played again.

My message is not to pour scorn on the health service,but to question everything because of my experience.

13 minutes ago, kev61 said:

As you know my footballing days ended with a knee injury.If I had the money to go private I would have played again.

My message is not to pour scorn on the health service,but to question everything because of my experience.

Absolutely Kev...the advances since both our early injuries are amazing..first knee op I was in for two weeks...NHS ...last knee replacement..final chapter of the knee saga..

Went down at 11-00am discharged next day at 1-00pm..second knee replacement, first was down 11'ish out two days later at midday...an advance in a very short time.

We are conditioned to accept what we are told and always reluctant, I believe, to ask for a second opinion.

5 hours ago, Trini_Blue said:

West Ham aren't as bad as their league position suggests. Their goals conceded Stat is pretty solid. They've struggled to score goals - which was pretty obvious from their style of play on Saturday as they rarely threatened us. As we've seen from David Moyes' sides from his Everton days, even if they are low on the table it doesn't mean they're an easy side to face. 

We've obviously got shortcomings especially with our attacking play at the moment but Kai Havertz being offside since birth really does affect our attacking play as West Ham were there for the taking in the first half if he could have just timed his runs a bit better.

I agree, they're not a terrible side generally speaking but the point was more geared towards us being more organised any anything else. It was more or less the standard Potteresque display that's been witnessed across his career. We may have looked a bit better relative to some of the truly inept displays we've seen going back a month or two, but I also wouldn't say we looked vastly improved either outside of maybe the first 20 minutes - much of which also had to do with West Ham starting super sluggishly themselves. 

There's clearly far more that can be unlocked from this side, both pre and post January window. Potter barely extracting the bare minimum remains a lingering concern. 

8 hours ago, xceleryx said:

I agree, they're not a terrible side generally speaking but the point was more geared towards us being more organised any anything else. It was more or less the standard Potteresque display that's been witnessed across his career. We may have looked a bit better relative to some of the truly inept displays we've seen going back a month or two, but I also wouldn't say we looked vastly improved either outside of maybe the first 20 minutes - much of which also had to do with West Ham starting super sluggishly themselves. 

There's clearly far more that can be unlocked from this side, both pre and post January window. Potter barely extracting the bare minimum remains a lingering concern. 

The next 5 games I feel will give us a better idea if we're going to make any noise the rest of this season under Potter. Dortmund, Soton, Spurs, Leeds, Dortmund. 

Mudryk obviously looks like he's struggling for match sharpness but he improved from the Fulham game. Chilwell coming in for Cucurella can benefit him also. Felix possibly to get an extended run. Sterling eventually comes back until Madueke settles down a bit more. 

If we make it through the Dortmund tie and if we can put out 3 solid performances in the league, the tide will turn massively.

Reece James in his interview seems so positive about the club. I just don't see how he can be so positive if Potter was such a muppet on the training ground..

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

You know what, fair play to him. Good answer.

He's gone right up in my estimation after that, absolutely clueless twatish questions in that press conference and he was quite superb in how he answered them. Some may not realise as I'm probably seen as anti Potter but I was very clear in my opinion on him on the old forum that I really like him as a person or at least how he comes across.

I'm not sure where these questions came from, I don't really watch standard television or read any news related media so live I in a bit of a bubble when it comes to current affairs, is this the latest thing? Potter doesn't get angry or something? Seriously confused.

It's almost enough for me to do a complete u turn and back him 100%. Made me really angry listening to that.

Edited by martin1905
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Trini_Blue said:

The next 5 games I feel will give us a better idea if we're going to make any noise the rest of this season under Potter. Dortmund, Soton, Spurs, Leeds, Dortmund. 

Mudryk obviously looks like he's struggling for match sharpness but he improved from the Fulham game. Chilwell coming in for Cucurella can benefit him also. Felix possibly to get an extended run. Sterling eventually comes back until Madueke settles down a bit more. 

If we make it through the Dortmund tie and if we can put out 3 solid performances in the league, the tide will turn massively.

Reece James in his interview seems so positive about the club. I just don't see how he can be so positive if Potter was such a muppet on the training ground..

Not that I disagree with anything said here, it's all pretty spot on really.

I suppose it all just feels like we're chasing the dragon a little. Wait until Potter has time with the squad on the training track, wait until injuries return, wait until players settle, etc. There's always going to be hurdles a manager has to navigate around and I think this is where Potter still needs to be held accountable. He's still had enough time and enough options at hand to make more of the situation presented to him than he has, therefore it's like are the next 5 games really that important when he's already had ample time to showcase improvement in a variety of areas.

Not expecting perfection of course, merely improvement or a sense of something positive is around the corner. 

6 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

The guy is utter class in how he handles himself. I like coaches who are clear in their roles. Mourinho was ok being a villain, Conte never cared much about anything other than winning, and Potter doesn't care much about impressing anyone with his press conferences. Some really nice comments from Thiago Silva about him as a person as well.

11 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Oh good, a "Potter's cracking up" narrative is being warmed up by idiot hacks.

Genuinely couldn't care less about him not pissing and moaning about ref decisions, or usually seeming very media-trained dull in press conferences. Absolutely the last line of criticism that should be used against him, or any coach. 

Edited by thevelourfog

17 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Genuinely couldn't care less about him not pissing and moaning about ref decisions, or usually seeming very media-trained dull in press conferences. Absolutely the last line of criticism that should be used against him, or any coach. 

I hope for him that we get some kind of positive result tonight he deserves a break plus of course there are many of us waiting to see the green shoots of recovery (though i thought they have been there for two or three games even if the results didnt reflect it.

1 hour ago, thevelourfog said:

Well said

Just watched Graeme Potter's interview after the Southampton game. Much kudos has been directed his way recently following the media's about face concerning the lack of anger he appears to show in these situations. What I have noticed though is that his demeanour is that of a mid table club, not a club that is used to winning trophies every season. He has become used to managing teams that aren't ever in the running for honours so can shrug his shoulders and praise the faintest flickers of success. He has to get his head around the fact that the players he manages should no longer average a 6/10 with the occasional 7/10 on a good day and an 8/10 once or twice a season. The players at our club should be averaging between 7/10 and 8/10 every single game with one or two hitting 9/10 every other game. If they are not hitting those numbers then he should know what he needs to do to turn it around. Being average 9 times out of 10 is not acceptable. Get your head out of Brighton Graeme, until a week of so ago you were managing the world champions. Expect more of the players and of yourself.

• Agree 2

11 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

Just watched Graeme Potter's interview after the Southampton game. Much kudos has been directed his way recently following the media's about face concerning the lack of anger he appears to show in these situations. What I have noticed though is that his demeanour is that of a mid table club, not a club that is used to winning trophies every season. He has become used to managing teams that aren't ever in the running for honours so can shrug his shoulders and praise the faintest flickers of success. He has to get his head around the fact that the players he manages should no longer average a 6/10 with the occasional 7/10 on a good day and an 8/10 once or twice a season. The players at our club should be averaging between 7/10 and 8/10 every single game with one or two hitting 9/10 every other game. If they are not hitting those numbers then he should know what he needs to do to turn it around. Being average 9 times out of 10 is not acceptable. Get your head out of Brighton Graeme, until a week of so ago you were managing the world champions. Expect more of the players and of yourself.

That's the problem though, he's shown nothing to suggest he can. As I posted earlier since his initial three games, which could be argued that we were still very much Tuchel's Chelsea and those three games were against Palace, Wolves and Villa so three games we should always be winning, regardless of manager, we are averaging 0.85 points a game or 32 points a season which equals relegation.

There is a reason managers spend their entire career at certain levels and never make the step up. The big clubs never give them a chance but we are seeing a real time example of why that is the case and why it's never happened before 

There's levels to everything and football management is no different.

• Agree 2

27 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

This was a big part of why I was always hesitant over his appointment. I've said it before but Potter offers nothing in terms of an edge, an ego, an x-factor, etc that's required to manage top level clubs. Excuse the vulgar nature of what's about to be said but you could piss in the mans cup of tea and he'd apologise to you. 

I still couldn't tell you a single improvement he's made to the side or individual since arriving. We genuinely look worse in every department, if that's not a concern for ownership then I really don't know what is.

4 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

I still couldn't tell you a single improvement he's made to the side or individual since arriving. We genuinely look worse in every department, if that's not a concern for ownership then I really don't know what is.

This. 

He either has the goods on TB (with photos), or TB has given up. Or both.

I can't remember being so disappointed in a Chelsea performance - ever. It was clueless and impotent.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

This. 

He either has the goods on TB (with photos), or TB has given up. Or both.

I can't remember being so disappointed in a Chelsea performance - ever. It was clueless and impotent.

I'm past disappointment MT, getting to a depressed stage..I've watched great Chelsea sides and players..I've watched relegation bound Chelsea sides and everything in between but can never remember feeling so absolutely bereft of hope despite looking at exciting young players with hopefully long term tenures at Chelsea.. 

Soton are doomed but came and gave it a go and got the FK in the right place and took full advantage of it... on paper a far more talented side lost to a struggling side... what was the difference?.

We all can remember lesser talented players in Chelsea Blue who would never have allowed the result we saw today.

The nasty spoiling tactics from Soton from the start at least showed that they had a plan...Chelsea?

GP is leading Chelsea gently into the relegation zone...not even with a bang..just a whimper.

I didn't like his reasoning for subbing DD Fofana off at HT. Madueke and Mount were really poor and either one of them could have been hooked for Sterling. Both Mudryk and Madueke look really out of sorts and they should be coming off the bench until they're ready to start - simple as that. 

And then when he switched to the back 3 any chance of coherent play just evaporated. 

He didn't handle the Auba question well either. All he has to do is say that Auba doesn't fit into his plans. No need to deflect it.

Edited by Trini_Blue

2 hours ago, Trini_Blue said:

He didn't handle the Auba question well either. All he has to do is say that Auba doesn't fit into his plans. No need to deflect it.

He doesn't have a plan. Not a coherent one, anyway. And again, I really don't think it matters what he's saying to the press. No need to focus on that when what is happening on the pitch genuinely is, over an extended period now, relegation form.