Chelsea Sack Graham Potter

My Blood Is Blue

5 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

In fairness he's hardly likely to say Potter is a clown who should never had been hired in the first place !

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Bruno Saltor isn't the problem here so let's give the guy a break.

After all,  who thought the board would say, having decided to sack Potter, let's get a Chelsea legend in as interim manager to improve the mood at the club?  Sadly I don't think they care about the 'soul' of the club so that was never going to happen.  Still, that's another discussion.

As for GP, of course it's very wrong that failed managers get huge pay outs when they've been sacked but that's how it is now more's the pity and it stinks.  The Potter family will never be poor but I can't imagine even that makes up for his reputation going up in smoke.  He made a huge mistake leaving Brighton and has now alienated two sets of supporters.  I just hope he doesn't get any more vile abuse.       

• Agree 4

4 minutes ago, Blue Kratos said:

Sorry Bison. Just venting after such a horrible 7 months.

I will not tolerate another Potter fan 

I hear you.

I have a one year old son who has seen us be sanctioned, lose two finals, sack Tuchel and hire Graham Potter. I'm hoping we get the next one right for his sake!

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Blue Kratos said:

Yeah I'm sure Graham's family must be devastated with the missus now free to go on the a spending spree at harrods and the kids getting PS5s and ipads all Gift wrapped by uncle Todd.

Football is the only job where you can be absolutely useless and walk away better off.

As I said above, I completely agree with you and it's scandalous.  However, the kids are likely to have had those things already and 'the missus' runs her own business.  Just saying. 

Just now, JaneB said:

As I said above, I completely agree with you and it's scandalous.  However, the kids are likely to have had those things already and 'the missus' runs her own business.  Just saying. 

Maybe Mrs Potter should have bought the club.

She would know more about football than the whole board combined 😂

Just now, JaneB said:

Again , according to the media briefing going on there isn't going to be a big pay off like we'd all expect which leads me to believe like Martin intimated the other day there could have been a break clause taking him to the end of the season and all the club are really doing is putting him on gardening leave , dressed up as "helping the transition" and paying him whatever they'd originally thrashed out with him when he joined the club,  Taking him out of the firing line so to speak.

23 hours ago, Holymoly said:

I'd imagine the fact we need to get rid of about a dozen players off the payroll will bring in some sort of revenue.

For sure just hope we can sell the players we want to move on rather than those we don't to comply with the FFP revenue figures. Other teams will  know we will need to sell early in the summer. 

9 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

One thing I will say about the The Athletic is to take most of their articles like this with a pinch of salt. They present what they write as fact but it often seems like creative writing.

Having skimmed through that article now this did catch my eye:

Todd Boehly may draw the focus but Behdad Eghbali is the real power behind the throne at Stamford Bridge and some considered the presence of the owners, watching first-hand so often from the sidelines at training, to be unnerving, even though Potter had no issue with it

I have long suspected that Clearlake are the major drivers of this entire operation.

1 hour ago, Blue Kratos said:

Yeah I'm sure Graham's family must be devastated with the missus now free to go on the a spending spree at harrods and the kids getting PS5s and ipads all Gift wrapped by uncle Todd.

Football is the only job where you can be absolutely useless and walk away better off.

I suggest you have a look at Dido Harding's CV in that case. She failed in most of her posts at Tesco, Sainsbury's, Thomas Cook and Talk Talk before her epic fail with T&T during the pandemic. And there are plenty of other examples in business of people who have run companies into the ground getting "golden handshakes" and then walking into senior jobs elsewhere afterwards (trying to remember the guy's name, but he'd been MD of a 'female undergarment' manufacturing company that went bust, and his next job was as MD of Swan Hunter shipyards that then took a nosedive in the late 70s). Then look at government... "Pork Markets" Liz comes to mind. So it's not just football were incompetence is rewarded.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, JaneB said:

After all,  who thought the board would say, having decided to sack Potter, let's get a Chelsea legend in as interim manager to improve the mood at the club?  Sadly I don't think they care about the 'soul' of the club so that was never going to happen.  Still, that's another discussion.

As for GP, of course it's very wrong that failed managers get huge pay outs when they've been sacked but that's how it is now more's the pity and it stinks.  The Potter family will never be poor but I can't imagine even that makes up for his reputation going up in smoke.  He made a huge mistake leaving Brighton and has now alienated two sets of supporters.  I just hope he doesn't get any more vile abuse.       

Sadly yes. This is the whole point about this Bruno topic

But we as fans have power too. We should try to make that happen by at least talking about it

Edited by Bones

4 hours ago, Bison said:

I hear you.

I have a one year old son who has seen us be sanctioned, lose two finals, sack Tuchel and hire Graham Potter. I'm hoping we get the next one right for his sake!

A tough start for a upandcoming-hardcore Chelsea fan. No way he will be called gloryhunter 🙂 🙂

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Bison said:

I hear you.

Also have a one year old son. I'll always be able to say that we were literally champions of the world a few weeks after he was born, so not my fault if it all goes to pot and being a Chelsea supporter is just unrelenting misery for his later years!

Gonna take him to Stamford Bridge for the women's Barca game so he can't try and back out of Chelsea support once Boehly's plans come to fruition and we're in League 2.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Blue Kratos said:

Apparently Enrique is now the frontrunner. Not very convinced by that one.

Neither am I.  I saw the way Spain played against Morocco in the World Cup, and they deserved to lose because all they did was pass the ball to death without creating anything, they put no crosses into the box at all, it was no different to what we've been seeing for 5 years or so.

17 minutes ago, blueandproud said:

Neither am I.  I saw the way Spain played against Morocco in the World Cup, and they deserved to lose because all they did was pass the ball to death without creating anything, they put no crosses into the box at all, it was no different to what we've been seeing for 5 years or so.

I dont think I can stand any more of that. 

1 hour ago, asvaberg said:

A tough start for a upandcoming-hardcore Chelsea fan. No way he will be called gloryhunter 🙂 🙂

My first Chelsea season was when they went down as The Doc took over so absolutely no glory hunter jibe at me BUT I did get an early hint at later heaven/hell Chelsea loyalty as The Doc's kids ran out of the old Second division thanks to ultimately Tommy Harmer's (ex where?) privates!

Just an OG aside in the middle of a "confusing" time.

To step back...really a bad choice of coach..with hindsight..and the right decision to "let him go" taken out of proportion by the media,,surprise...and turned into a feeding frenzy of Chelsea bashing.

Coach fails to do job...sacked. Maybe it's the way the media portrayed and showcased GP as the next Great English Coach that has so spectacularly blown up in their faces that has them blaming everyone in the World except the man who failed to step up..as ever..for what ever reason.

25 minutes ago, chara said:

My first Chelsea season was when they went down as The Doc took over so absolutely no glory hunter jibe at me BUT I did get an early hint at later heaven/hell Chelsea loyalty as The Doc's kids ran out of the old Second division thanks to ultimately Tommy Harmer's (ex where?) privates!

Just an OG aside in the middle of a "confusing" time.

To step back...really a bad choice of coach..with hindsight..and the right decision to "let him go" taken out of proportion by the media,,surprise...and turned into a feeding frenzy of Chelsea bashing.

Coach fails to do job...sacked. Maybe it's the way the media portrayed and showcased GP as the next Great English Coach that has so spectacularly blown up in their faces that has them blaming everyone in the World except the man who failed to step up..as ever..for what ever reason.

He showed them up as the know nothing blowhards they are that's why they feel the need to blame the club. 

He wasn't the messiah 

He was a very naughty boy. 

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

He showed them up as the know nothing blowhards they are that's why they feel the need to blame the club. 

He wasn't the messiah 

He was a very naughty boy. 

Thanks Mark..smile...

It was the "Superb Coach" assessment that finally got me...as I recall he was seen as doing a fair job at Brighton but hardly a "Superb  Coach". Promising possibly but maybe really just another Kings New Clothes scenario....(Silly Chelsea fans...can't you see the cloak of success?...err No.)

Reading through OUR forum the conclusions are pretty much in line and I don't recall anyone really saying GP looked to be fulfilling the potential the Media frenzy seems to insist was there and  push it as the fault of Chelsea rather than the failings of a man promoted too far.

21 hours ago, JaneB said:

Bruno in 😄     sorry, only joking.. see that mural most days as I live here

I usually stay quiet and  was prepared to give Potter time, even very recently just to have some stability but glad he's gone, no improvement and felt like a fish out of water unfortunately.

understand he took a reduced severance (still more than i'll ever see in my lifetime) so a bit of credit due for that if true. Wish him well, just not at Chelsea!

cb90eb1de7629dace38eaff2ca6c660e.jpg

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

23 hours ago, JaneB said:

I think his reputation hasn't overly suffered,  other than he may not have what it takes at the top of the elite tree I.e. top 4 type club.

Straight after he gets the push here, he's linked with the Leicester job.

I'm not sure he's disliked by many, there's bound to be a few bitter people who'll believe they've been somehow slighted by his departure from BHAFC.

He'll get a decent job, when he's ready for one, and with £12m in his pay packet. Is severance money tax-free in the same way that redundancy is?

Not bad for being the worst Chelsea manager since the 1990's.

There was something about him that I didn't like, an attitude/behaviour thing,  aside from his performance. 

2 hours ago, east lower said:

He'll get a decent job, when he's ready for one, and with £12m in his pay packet. Is severance money tax-free in the same way that redundancy is?

I think so. No income tax on the first £30000 of payments except contributions to a pension scheme and legal costs associated with the severance (the latter is usually paid directly to your solicitor) and any payment you get as a result of your termination being the consequence of sickness/injury.  Anything above that is subject to income tax and NI as necessary. A hefty chunk of that payment will be placed in the state coffers, no doubt to be trousered as usual.