Chelsea Sack Graham Potter

My Blood Is Blue

Anyone remember the "Two And A Half Men" episode when Alan lusts after one of Charlie's gorgeous girl friends and lures her away in great Triumph and a blow to Charlie?

Then the reality appears and Alan realises why Charlie let him "win"..sound familiar?

(Apologies if the series is not so well known in UK")

Comparing apples and oranges for me.

Mourinho had Romans money and bought the best as well as seeing the potential in a couple too.

He also had a small squad to train  and build the mentality that everyone is against us.

20 minutes ago, jasonb said:

Mourinho had Romans money and bought the best as well as seeing the potential in a couple too.

He also had a small squad to train  and build the mentality that everyone is against us.

The size of Potters squad is the single biggest bullshit excuse in the history of bullshit excuses.

Pick 22 players and excuse the rest. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

The size of Potters squad is the single biggest bullshit excuse in the history of bullshit excuses.

Pick 22 players and excuse the rest. 

Absolutely Mark....from grass roots to the top...too many choices ?...Rubbish....

If that confuses anyone then they should not be ANY decision making position.

Over simplified...player A better, or more suited for a game/role than player B? DuH

Big pay for hard decisions....?

Has Bruno actually gone now, then?

I tend to disagree a bit on the "too many players" thing. I don't think it makes picking a team any harder, but I can see how it would make the day-to-day stuff really challenging. Freezing out a few players can be tricky enough, doing it to about 10 players would destroy morale. 

14 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

I tend to disagree a bit on the "too many players" thing. I don't think it makes picking a team any harder, but I can see how it would make the day-to-day stuff really challenging. Freezing out a few players can be tricky enough, doing it to about 10 players would destroy morale. 

All good points and in the recent similar posts from others.

Question...whatever happened to the "I'm going to show you that I deserve a spot" attitude...you know..pride and fierce ambition... Tubby tried to freeze out Frank and JT,,,they didn't throw their toys out.

As ever an over simplification but you get my drift?

Edited by chara

9 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

An excess of players certainly makes the man-management side of things a bit more complex. From a playing perspective though it's not really a justification for our form or performances. I mean, there'd have been few occasions where everyone was fit anyway. If anything, having the excess of players has allowed us to arguably still field senior based players opposed to having to plug gaps with untested academy kids. 

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, jasonb said:

Not really, a good coach would have demoted the dross and found a good 11 

600m in 2 windows, the one thing we cant complain about is the amount spent it rivals Romans spending. They only missed buying a CF and selling several.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

And Potter had??? Have a look at what we’ve spent. Mind-blowing stuff. 

The difference being that JM had the advantage of money before anyone else had it. 

City and others have more than leveled the playing field.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, exiledblue said:

Not really, a good coach would have demoted the dross and found a good 11 

600m in 2 windows, the one thing we cant complain about is the amount spent it rivals Romans spending. They only missed buying a CF and selling several.

Exactly. Potter was given unbelievable backing by naive owners and they would have supported any decisions he made regarding the squad but he lacked the courage to make them. And this was somebody who was supposedly here for the long term. 

His decision to start Ziyech at Anfield just three days after he flew to Paris to force through a loan move to PSG was incredibly weak. Ziyech is a player who has no future here. The player himself knows this. Similarly starting Pulisic in a recent game. Why are you wasting everybody's time playing them? 

• Agree 1

On 06/04/2023 at 21:20, Bob Singleton said:

Not yet

Screenshot 2023-04-06 at 21.19.47.png

Legal niceties to be sorted no doubt.  Be interesting to see who is on the bench with Frank tomorrow. Hope he's not on his own!!

(Typically the Mail have spun it that Frank doesn't even know who is backroom staff are going to be)

53 minutes ago, JaneB said:

Legal niceties to be sorted no doubt.  Be interesting to see who is on the bench with Frank tomorrow. Hope he's not on his own!!

(Typically the Mail have spun it that Frank doesn't even know who is backroom staff are going to be)

I think he knows who he wants as his backroom staff... as we all no doubt suspect, as you say legal (& financial) niceties need to be sorted out.

I suppose all of Potter's staff getting put on gardening leave is one way of making up for sacking the groundsman and his son 😉  Hope at least one of them knows how to handle an Allett Regal!

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, JaneB said:

With so few games to go maybe he wont have much choice, not many will accept coming in for such a short time

On 06/04/2023 at 21:06, thevelourfog said:

I've seen this in office work, have an extra member of staff no problem.

Having two spare for a while normally ok yet once you have three the banter starts and before you know it everyone's productivity drops.

Now I have read our squad was so large we could not get everyone in the dressing room together at Cobham. Now we don't now what happens on the training field with players that are not first choice yet think that some of them then go in harder to make a point. We don't know yet do have a lot of unexplained injuries problems. . 

Time enough passed,,just...to take a colder look at GP.

Very low level success abroad then not a particularily brilliant home career..fair  average coach and really no better than the majority of "safe" coaches (as of now!)..read say Brentford Fulham as examples...BUT English, Young and what is the Media without a signature "potential star",,be it player or coach.

I don't really blame Todd and Co for the initial appointment,,, arguments and opinions about the need for a new coach notwithstanding.

For all the reasons/excuses it is still clear that GP has dragged Chelsea down so far that we are all somewhat shellshocked.

There have been a few questionable coaches over the years and some rank bad ones but my maybe kind, numbing, memory does not give me anyone as bad as far as club destroying goes as GP.

What did he really achieve? All the players "liked" him (they say!) but I may have missed the accolades from them regarding his coaching ability.

For all the Todd and Co bashing..and plenty of room for that...they did bite the bullet in extremely difficult and embarrassing circumstances.

The next appointment could (will) be probably the most important and significant decision for the real future of OUR club that we have witnessed..and there have been a few of those in the past but I feel Chelsea is really on the ultimate razor edge at this time.

My gut feeling from day one was one of doubt..I have never felt quite so bad for being right,,,imho.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2