Chelsea Sack Graham Potter

My Blood Is Blue

7 hours ago, Holymoly said:

Just watched Graeme Potter's interview after the Southampton game. Much kudos has been directed his way recently following the media's about face concerning the lack of anger he appears to show in these situations. What I have noticed though is that his demeanour is that of a mid table club, not a club that is used to winning trophies every season. He has become used to managing teams that aren't ever in the running for honours so can shrug his shoulders and praise the faintest flickers of success. He has to get his head around the fact that the players he manages should no longer average a 6/10 with the occasional 7/10 on a good day and an 8/10 once or twice a season. The players at our club should be averaging between 7/10 and 8/10 every single game with one or two hitting 9/10 every other game. If they are not hitting those numbers then he should know what he needs to do to turn it around. Being average 9 times out of 10 is not acceptable. Get your head out of Brighton Graeme, until a week of so ago you were managing the world champions. Expect more of the players and of yourself.

This is exactly what I said in the match day thread and I think it’s a massive part of his problem here. His expectations and therefore coaching techniques and team talks are still of someone managing a side punching above their weight by even being in this league.

When he’s using the CL as part of his excuse for losing 1-0 at home to the team at the bottom of the table who have only kept one other CS this season, it tells you all you need to know about his mentality.

Ironically, this current form would probably see him get the ack at Brighton.

17 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Ironically, this current form would probably see him get the ack at Brighton.

I said, multiple times in his and Tuchel's threads at the time of appointment on the old forum, that this kind of form is typical of Potter. Twice he went on 11 game winless streaks with Brighton. I wasn't framing it as "this guy is useless" but I was framing it as "there's a lot of overall goodwill for him that doesn't really fit with the granular detail". 

Obviously expectations are/were different at Brighton, but no PL team is satisfied with going over the quarter of a season without a win. 

What I was unequivocal about at the time was that we'd made a terrible mistake and forced ourselves into a corner. I wish it was just confirmation bias that mean I'm even more confident in that opinion. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Trini_Blue said:

I didn't like his reasoning for subbing DD Fofana off at HT. Madueke and Mount were really poor and either one of them could have been hooked for Sterling. Both Mudryk and Madueke look really out of sorts and they should be coming off the bench until they're ready to start - simple as that. 

And then when he switched to the back 3 any chance of coherent play just evaporated. 

He didn't handle the Auba question well either. All he has to do is say that Auba doesn't fit into his plans. No need to deflect it.

To be fair to Potter who does he pick ahead of them right now? Sterling is only just returning so he'll be a possibility shortly but hasn't been in recent weeks, otherwise it's an awfully out of sorts Mount, a cumbersome Ziyech, and the injured Pulisic - who's inept himself. We've not really had the choice but to throw both Madueke and Mudryk into the mix from the beginning. 

Madueke had played less than 300 in the Eredivise prior to joining and Mudryk hadn't kicked a ball since last November. Both are woefully underdone and arrive on the back of no form, rhythm or even match sharpness. It's no great surprise they've produced what they have done.

• Agree 2

20 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

To be fair to Potter who does he pick ahead of them right now? Sterling is only just returning so he'll be a possibility shortly but hasn't been in recent weeks, otherwise it's an awfully out of sorts Mount, a cumbersome Ziyech, and the injured Pulisic - who's inept himself. We've not really had the choice but to throw both Madueke and Mudryk into the mix from the beginning. 

Madueke had played less than 300 in the Eredivise prior to joining and Mudryk hadn't kicked a ball since last November. Both are woefully underdone and arrive on the back of no form, rhythm or even match sharpness. It's no great surprise they've produced what they have done.

Chukwuemeka was looking decent before the new signings arrived. Gallagher is probably in better form than Mount.

• Agree 1

GP’s position is completely untenable now and if he really did have any honesty about the place he’s taken the club to, he’d resign.

However, none of them do. So it’ll be down to TB and what I can say that around me yesterday at the game there wasn’t one fan who said anything other than he’s got to go and go now. The dissent was vocal, very discernible and clearly targeted at GP. Without results changing immediately, GP’s run out of credit NOW - the booing and abuse will get worse and then TB and co. won’t be able to stand by and do nothing. 

My mind was made up on him a few weeks ago as I could see no improvement in pattern of play, individuals or style. Plus, he’s had long enough to get something right. There’s no area getting better consistently.

Worse for me is that Chelsea are my release from the pressures of everyday life, we all probably have them - work, personal stuff and the odd family crisis etc. There’s no joy about attending a match right now and I have never felt like that. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 3

7 minutes ago, east lower said:

GP’s position is completely untenable now and if he really did have any honesty about the place he’s taken the club to, he’d resign.

However, none of them do. So it’ll be down to TB and what I can say that around me yesterday at the game there wasn’t one fan who said anything other than he’s got to go and go now. The dissent was vocal, very discernible and clearly targeted at GP. Without results changing immediately, GP’s run out of credit NOW - the booing and abuse will get worse and then TB and co. won’t be able to stand by and do nothing. 

My mind was made up on him a few weeks ago as I could see no improvement in pattern of play, individuals or style. Plus, he’s had long enough to get something right. There’s no area getting better consistently.

Worse for me is that Chelsea are my release from the pressures of everyday life, we all probably have them - work, personal stuff and the odd family crisis etc. There’s no joy about attending a match right now and I have never felt like that. 

The problem is, if the owners don’t act soon, the booing and chants will start being aimed at them and that’s a situation we really don’t want.

Its gone past anger for me now and it’s just disappointing and sad. It doesn’t need to be this bad and yet here we are.

Im off to coach my daughters U12 match now, a win and other results go out way we move up to 3rd. They’re my football outlet this season, much more fun to watch and be a part of.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

The problem is, if the owners don’t act soon, the booing and chants will start being aimed at them and that’s a situation we really don’t want.

Its gone past anger for me now and it’s just disappointing and sad. It doesn’t need to be this bad and yet here we are.

Im off to coach my daughters U12 match now, a win and other results go out way we move up to 3rd. They’re my football outlet this season, much more fun to watch and be a part of.

It’s nice to have that release and young people’s football can be a great way of offering advice and getting something back.

I’m off to clear out my in-laws house of their possessions after their respective passing - a job I wish on no one, and one reason that a bit of joy on the football front wouldn’t go amiss.

Hope her team wins 🤞

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Chukwuemeka was looking decent before the new signings arrived. Gallagher is probably in better form than Mount.

Agreed but neither are "wide" players either to be fair. I do think Gallaghers been a bit stiff to be dropped after putting in a few solid performances prior.

15 minutes ago, east lower said:

It’s nice to have that release and young people’s football can be a great way of offering advice and getting something back.

I’m off to clear out my in-laws house of their possessions after their respective passing - a job I wish on no one, and one reason that a bit of joy on the football front wouldn’t go amiss.

Hope her team wins 🤞

Sorry to hear that. My father in law passed last week as well. Football should be the chink of light bursting through the clouds but it's far from that. 

• Sad 3

43 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

I think the only way the owners will start to listen is if the fans turn their anger upon them. 

16 minutes ago, RDCW said:

I think the only way the owners will start to listen is if the fans turn their anger upon them. 

I wasn’t in favour of the Roman chants soon after the buyout, but after sitting through the mis-management of our club, maybe it’s time for them to hear just what is thought?

They did the typical macho American management style thing and got rid of the past and changed it to their way and their people - worked out well so far hasn’t it. 

• Like 1

I actually have some sympathy with Potter over the style of play issue, as even his supporters would say his philosophy takes a while to implement and Boehly has just tried to throw a load of money at the situation to fix it.

It's always felt to me a bigger issue the circumstances in which he was appointed. He never had that much cash in the bank, unlike Arteta the ex-player for the Arsenal who hadn't challenged won the the title or in Europe for years.

We're apparently modelling this project on Arteta, but the Chelsea fans don't like Potter, the reasons for him being hired and the previous manager being fired, and that tide grows stronger with terrible results and terrible interviews.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, east lower said:

Hope her team wins 🤞

Having done the same with my Mums house , I feel your pain. It's horrid.

1 hour ago, Max Fowler said:

I actually have some sympathy with Potter over the style of play issue, as even his supporters would say his philosophy takes a while to implement and Boehly has just tried to throw a load of money at the situation to fix it.

It's always felt to me a bigger issue the circumstances in which he was appointed. He never had that much cash in the bank, unlike Arteta the ex-player for the Arsenal who hadn't challenged won the the title or in Europe for years.

We're apparently modelling this project on Arteta, but the Chelsea fans don't like Potter, the reasons for him being hired and the previous manager being fired, and that tide grows stronger with terrible results and terrible interviews.

Welcome back 😊

• Thanks 1

This season is gone , we've wasted a chance and killed our own momentum but let me go on record here and now to say , if we bring back Lukaku we will immediately be wasting the next season too.

Potter is used to setting his side up as the underdogs which is why he's known for chopping and changing personnel to suit the opposition , ultimately he's hoping to negate them and catch them out .

Here , we are the top dog and he has shown he has no clear how to impose his will on the opposition.

To come out and tell us the players responded well to an organised side when they're bottom of the league , haven't kept a clean sheet in twenty previous games and actually have no manager just shrieks of someone with absolutely no idea what the level he's coaching at .

How someone working on a daily basis with the players thinks resting Reece James the heartbeat of the club and the main reason we fell off the pace last season and this when he got injured , and then compounded that by praising the managerless opposition as well organised when they had been in utter disarray previously is the icing on a particularly sh*t cake.

He's got to go.

Edited by Mark Kelly

Look at the players we have and have bought is it not possible we even fluke an occassional win or is Potter sucking creativity out of them. I saw he was defending Cucarella a few days ago but he is indefensible and certainly not representitive of how I want to see my team playing. Run 5 metres forwatd turn and pass back, may have worked at Brighton where cart horses were doing cart horse work. We have some race horses and should use them accordingly.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, exiledblue said:

So negative, apologetic, clueless and passionless.

Dont know if I hate his gameplay or press conferences more. 

Next up Spurs...yipeee

If we feel this way, when we only hear from him once or twice a week for five minutes, it really makes you wonder what the players think doesn't it? I can't imagine many of them are inspired to perform at their maximum with this approach.

Tactically I think it's very clear  that he is distinctly average. We are very easy to play against because we can't press and being able to press as a team is a big indicator for me that serious work is being done on the training ground.

3 hours ago, east lower said:

Hope her team wins 🤞

We did get the win and takes us to second not third! Back in the hunt for promotion!

Sorry to hear that, not a pleasant thing to have to do at all.

So, the tide has well and truly turned. It appears there is not a single one of us, not just forum members but Chelsea fans in general, that don't want him gone. He has been given far more goodwill than any manager should expect, due to a number of reasons but it is now well and truly game over. You can't lose an entire fan base overnight and except anything else.

So the question is who next? At the time of Potters appointment, 6 games into a new season it really was slim pickings but now or at least in the summer, if we keep him until then or bring in someone short term, the options are far more vast.

Jose, Tuchel, Flick, Pochettino, Conte, Luis Enrique are the obvious candidates although I wouldn't be too surprised to see the club look towards someone like Thomas Frank.

Tuchel is probably impossible but I don't think it could be completely ruled out.

Conte has all the credentials but he just doesn't suit the team we have assembled.

Jose would be a huge gamble due to his last few years being nowhere near the level he once was although I'd have him in a heartbeat.

Pochettino for me would be a straight no, although that's more to do with my personal feelings towards him, but I can see the appeal and he would instantly improve us, although that's not difficult.

Flick would be a great appointment but think he will want to see his German rebuild through. 

So, the obvious, stand out man is without a doubt Luis Enrique. He ticks literally every box, including being immediately available and I think he would jump at the chance to come here but then again we must be pretty much the most attractive club to every manager right now. 

All of the above would be a huge, huge upgrade on what we currently have and I'd be happy with any of them, apart from Pochettino but again that's not entirely football related but I am very much in the Luis Enrique camp and very much of the opinion that we should get it done now.

26 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

So, the tide has well and truly turned. It appears there is not a single one of us, not just forum members but Chelsea fans in general, that don't want him gone. He has been given far more goodwill than any manager should expect, due to a number of reasons but it is now well and truly game over. You can't lose an entire fan base overnight and except anything else.

So the question is who next? At the time of Potters appointment, 6 games into a new season it really was slim pickings but now or at least in the summer, if we keep him until then or bring in someone short term, the options are far more vast.

Jose, Tuchel, Flick, Pochettino, Conte, Luis Enrique are the obvious candidates although I wouldn't be too surprised to see the club look towards someone like Thomas Frank.

Tuchel is probably impossible but I don't think it could be completely ruled out.

Conte has all the credentials but he just doesn't suit the team we have assembled.

Jose would be a huge gamble due to his last few years being nowhere near the level he once was although I'd have him in a heartbeat.

Pochettino for me would be a straight no, although that's more to do with my personal feelings towards him, but I can see the appeal and he would instantly improve us, although that's not difficult.

Flick would be a great appointment but think he will want to see his German rebuild through. 

So, the obvious, stand out man is without a doubt Luis Enrique. He ticks literally every box, including being immediately available and I think he would jump at the chance to come here but then again we must be pretty much the most attractive club to every manager right now. 

All of the above would be a huge, huge upgrade on what we currently have and I'd be happy with any of them, apart from Pochettino but again that's not entirely football related but I am very much in the Luis Enrique camp and very much of the opinion that we should get it done now.

I like Thomas Frank, but after seeing what has happened with a manager from a mid table side, I think we need someone proven at the top level with experience coaching top top players.

Luis Enrique would be my shout as well, I think he’s exactly what we want, but the question will be whether he fits in with the owners ‘vision’ or not.

It may be the rose tinted glasses I have on, but I wouldn’t be totally against Jose coming back again (pulls up the shutters and hides).

• Agree 1

Any coach who can organise a side to get the best of their abilities, can teach a side how to take corners and free kicks and can coach them to shoot when the opportunity arises would be an upgrade on what we are seeing . I cannot fathom what Potter is setting the side up to achieve , what is his ethos, how does he want us to play, what's the end game ? 

Sam Allardyce would improve this side In a week , that's how bad a job Potter has done.

• Agree 1

I’d be tempted by Deschamps. France seem to go from one mini crisis to another, yet he still appears to get the players playing for him and competing at the serious end of tournaments. A Chelsea connection , though relatively small. Surely he would want to test himself at a big club at some point.

I kinda hope we don’t go down Jose route again. He just hasn’t been the same since Real Madrid days to me. That job changed him and not for the better. He’s not far off stunk the place out in his jobs following Madrid, bar the first 12 months in these previous roles.

Luis Enrique is also worth a closer look , along with Poch.