Message added by My Blood Is Blue,

Matchday prediction  

25 members have voted

1. 1. What will the result be?

• Crystal Palace win
    • Draw
    • Chelsea win

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/02/24 at 19:00

33 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

We’ve got talent in that squad there’s no doubt about it. Whether ponch can harness it and get everyone moving in the same direction is the big question. And why did we play such a shocker first 45? Why are we so inconsistent? 
Anyway , in my little world I’m going for 7th with domestic cup double. 

The youth and inexperience explains the inconsistentcy to some degree. 

That said, we look better without Silva at the back. 

Very good win in the end, considering how the first half was. 

Individual mistakes and sloppiness still remain a thorn in our side, but it was good to see some fight and urgency in the second half. Gusto was excellent, Gallagher with two huge goals, Palmer involved as usual, and Enzo with a sublimely cool finish at the death to seal things. 

Credit to Poch for making changes at HT and putting a bit of fire into the side. Disappointing to see both Thiago Silva and Gusto go off with injuries. As much as I like Thiago Silva  I do think we looked better when Colwill came on, we moved the ball quicker from the back and it again allows Caicedo to drop and split the two centre backs which makes things more fluid when we interchange. 

Top half baby. 

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

Very good win in the end, considering how the first half was. 

Individual mistakes and sloppiness still remain a thorn in our side, but it was good to see some fight and urgency in the second half. Gusto was excellent, Gallagher with two huge goals, Palmer involved as usual, and Enzo with a sublimely cool finish at the death to seal things. 

Credit to Poch for making changes at HT and putting a bit of fire into the side. Disappointing to see both Thiago Silva and Gusto go off with injuries. As much as I like Thiago Silva  I do think we looked better when Colwill came on, we moved the ball quicker from the back and it again allows Caicedo to drop and split the two centre backs which makes things more fluid when we interchange. 

Top half baby. 

Gusto wasn't injured. Just exhausted after the shift he put in. 

5 hours ago, Original 21 said:

That first half needed to be erased from the memory.  If we play like that in the next couple of matches there’ll be no coming back. Credit to the manager for changing it up at half time. Gusto and Palmer were very good. Pleased to see Gallagher and Enzo finally finding their shooting boots. 

Yes credit to mo for switching Palmer to a more creative position - it changed the game imo.There is no point shoving a player of his multiple talents  too far forward.He is a creator of goals and a scorer of goals(exactly what we have been looking for).

I hope Poch can see that Palmer needs to be in a position  that he can have an influence on a game and not a false number nine (whatever the hell that is supposed to mean!)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, Proud-Blue said:

Ah apologies, I couldn't recall us singing it. Either way it was awesome and nice for the time we're in.

We (fans)were on it before and the start. Then the life was sucked out of us in that first half. There were a couple of renditions of 'don't worry' from people trying to get it going in the first half(always sung when losing - so a lot this season), and people were starting to show their frustrations. When they put it on (Bob) at half time it was perfect timing and to top it off we scored straight away.  We all came back to that and it kicked started our optimism/sarcasm. But then it started to feel like the first half again until those last few mins! Palace PA gotta be chels!

Just read the posts without beer goggles. If this ended 1-1 which looked inevitable around the 65-70min mark we would be in a completely different mindset. We got saved by those late goals similar to utd at the weekend. There were a few positives, Gallagher, Gusto(again), Caciedo.  Enzo in patches and Nkunku when he gets a touch looks classy. However, I still don't think we looked great in the second.

Unpopular opinion but I think Silva promotes the slow defensive play. I've noticed the other players mimic his style and take his lead(not Silva's fault), but what we need is players being more decisive around him and moving the ball forward+quicker. Brilliant as he is, I think this is the main reason for the slow defensive possession play.

• Like 2

A win is a win and that’s the most important thing. That first half was truly shocking though, however, it was good to see that Poch sorted it out and the players reacted to what he said and changed. Got to think we won’t be seeing Madueke for a while, at least not in the starting 11. Nkunku from here.

Gusto was really good again yesterday, mainly in the second half. Gallagher is starting to get the goals that his performances deserve and Palmer is Palmer.

Hard run of games now, so a win last night was vital. The Man City game will be more about performance than result for me… I don’t expect a result, but I do expect us to compete and make it hard for them. A repeat of the Liverpool game and I and I would imagine 99% of our fans, won’t be happy.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

A win is a win and that’s the most important thing. That first half was truly shocking though, however, it was good to see that Poch sorted it out and the players reacted to what he said and changed. Got to think we won’t be seeing Madueke for a while, at least not in the starting 11. Nkunku from here.

Gusto was really good again yesterday, mainly in the second half. Gallagher is starting to get the goals that his performances deserve and Palmer is Palmer.

Hard run of games now, so a win last night was vital. The Man City game will be more about performance than result for me… I don’t expect a result, but I do expect us to compete and make it hard for them. A repeat of the Liverpool game and I and I would imagine 99% of our fans, won’t be happy.

I would like to think Poch has worked out why we were pish in the first half and then played much better in the last 20 minutes.

Imo it's obvious -we put a play maker in his natural position .Now watch Poch revert to no lessons learned.

8 hours ago, Original 21 said:

That first half needed to be erased from the memory.  If we play like that in the next couple of matches there’ll be no coming back. Credit to the manager for changing it up at half time. Gusto and Palmer were very good. Pleased to see Gallagher and Enzo finally finding their shooting boots. 

I agree although it beggars belief how the manager sets us up at the start of some games. It shouldn't have taken a half time team talk to gee us up in this game. Just shows we don't have the leadership on the pitch.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Holymoly said:

I agree although it beggars belief how the manager sets us up at the start of some games. It shouldn't have taken a half time team talk to gee us up in this game. Just shows we don't have the leadership on the pitch.

Yeah, completely agree. I commented just before half time, that none of our players were screaming at the others, they were all just letting it happen. We still desperately need some proper experience in this squad.

55 minutes ago, ShedMiddle said:

Just read the posts without beer goggles. If this ended 1-1 which looked inevitable around the 65-70min mark we would be in a completely different mindset. We got saved by those late goals similar to utd at the weekend. There were a few positives, Gallagher, Gusto(again), Caciedo.  Enzo in patches and Nkunku when he gets a touch looks classy. However, I still don't think we looked great in the second.

Totally agree. I think we dodged a bullet 

23 minutes ago, east lower said:

This may not be too popular, but without Sterling’s pick-up, carry and pass we don’t score that vital second goal. 

Incisive play from him.

Well you know what they say about a broken clock.

4 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

Well you know what they say about a broken clock.

He's been in poor form for a little while, however I think that it's also important to remember that during parts of the season his performances and goals kept us away from being in the bottom third.

Is he worth the wages, of course not. There are very few that are, but it's not his fault that our current owners decided that - contrary to what they have done since.

Was the same at Man City, in and out of form etc.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Holymoly said:

I'm sure the media and the rest of the league will hate it but it's nice to see some passion from our players.

Heard some lads chatting about Disasi in the crowd, saying he planted kisses on the heads of a couple of fans. Jackson also running from the subs bench. Love a bit of that.

Funniest was that Jackson had to go back to the bench around the perimeter of the pitch, the Palace supporters were going nuts. One or two (unfortunately they are everywhere) took it too far, throwing plastic bottles. 

Cost us two bookings, but in terms of team-spirit might have been worth it.  

Disasi is a bit of a hype it up character, good for him.

OG moment though here, what is it with people feeling the need to stand on their seats? Don't get it, but suppose it's the 'all about me' thing that goes on.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

I agree. I love Silva and I think he’s been incredible for us and we are blessed to have seen him wear the Chelsea shirt for as long as he has, however, I think it’s time for him to move to the bench and let the others play. He does slow everything down too much, unfortunately and we need to be going with Disasi and Colwill for the rest of the season, IMO.

It hurts to say that, as I’m a huge Silva fan. I would love him to stay on as a coach, but I think he wants a season back in Brazil before he retires. Maybe after that he’ll come back.

I don't think it was Silva in particular who slowed things down, although he should take some responsibility. The entire team played quicker in the second half because Poch clearly got a lot more out of them. Where Silva will cost us is more in terms of how we have to adjust defensively than on the ball, but Colwill and Badiashille have also been heavily prone to mistakes this season (more so than Thiago). If Levi makes a mistake we'll be saying "how can we not play Silva?" - the grass is always greener with this team. Thiago being out may simply give an opportunity for Colwill to play and that could be a good thing.

2 hours ago, ShedMiddle said:

It didn't end 1-1 though, that's what matters. To me what was impressive was the fact that we got the game over the line - we delivered in important moments and often that's what football's all about. I am not getting ahead of myself - I still think we're about to get found out in our upcoming PL games and the cup final, but honestly I just enjoyed Enzo's goal at the end a lot. Reminded me of Lampard (against Bolton?) how he was composed, sat the defender down and then finished with aplomb. 

• Like 1

Obviously pleased with a good comeback from behind win. However, overall we still  very much looked like what we are which is a midtable team. Some good moments/very good moments mixed with the average and downright awful. 

Negatives. As others have mentioned, the sloppy passing causes problems which can and does result in the opposition scoring.  This should be resolved  over time when and if we get a settled defence.  At times there were still too much space between the midfield and defence.  Sadly, as brilliant as he's been, Silva needs to a bench player for most games now.  Jackson and Madeuka were poor. 

Positives. Turning it around after one of the worse first halves I've seen in years.  Goals from midfield again. Gusto continuing to grow and impress.  Gallagher and Palmer once again leading the way.  Our fans!

4 hours ago, kev61 said:

I hope Poch can see that Palmer needs to be in a position  that he can have an influence on a game and not a false number nine (whatever the hell that is supposed to mean!)

I get this, but at the same time, he played exactly the same formation and players at Villa, and it was our best performance in ages.

That said, Palace were always going to set up differently to Villa.

2 hours ago, ShedMiddle said:

Unpopular opinion but I think Silva promotes the slow defensive play. I've noticed the other players mimic his style and take his lead(not Silva's fault), but what we need is players being more decisive around him and moving the ball forward+quicker. Brilliant as he is, I think this is the main reason for the slow defensive possession play.

It is becoming less and less unpopular. 

2 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

. Got to think we won’t be seeing Madueke for a while, at least not in the starting 11. Nkunku from here.

To be fair to Madueke, he was excellent at Villa.

I said after that game, he will be a player that frustrates 

1 hour ago, east lower said:

This may not be too popular, but without Sterling’s pick-up, carry and pass we don’t score that vital second goal. 

Incisive play from him.

Nice to have some serious options from the bench now. Sterling, Mudryk, Nkunku and Chuk all available. Far cry from earlier on this season. 

For the goal, I can' believe the Palace playing didn't foul him and stop the counter. Really naive. 

1 hour ago, Holymoly said:

I'm sure the media and the rest of the league will hate it but it's nice to see some passion from our players.

100%

I don't think the current crop can be accused of not caring. 

1 hour ago, east lower said:

He's been in poor form for a little while, however I think that it's also important to remember that during parts of the season his performances and goals kept us away from being in the bottom third.

Yup. And his time will come again before the season is out. 

13 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

I don't think it was Silva in particular who slowed things down, although he should take some responsibility. The entire team played quicker in the second half because Poch clearly got a lot more out of them. Where Silva will cost us is more in terms of how we have to adjust defensively than on the ball, but Colwill and Badiashille have also been heavily prone to mistakes this season (more so than Thiago). If Levi makes a mistake we'll be saying "how can we not play Silva?" - the grass is always greener with this team. Thiago being out may simply give an opportunity for Colwill to play and that could be a good thing.

I don't recall Colwill making many (any) howlers. 

The overall benefit of having a CB who can actually run is becoming increasingly obvious. 

4 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

Positives. Turning it around after one of the worse first halves I've seen in years.  Goals from midfield again. Gusto continuing to grow and impress.  Gallagher and Palmer once again leading the way.  Our fans!

Yes, all of this. All of sudden, 5 goals in 2 games from Gallagher and Enzo. Makes such a difference.

By the way, saw it again this morning. Their goal is a clear foul.

Caicedo had potentially already lost the ball, after Madueke's mistake, but Lerma clatters into him first, knocks him over and comes away with the ball.