Chelsea Stadium Plans

Ham

One thing I find strange from people i've seen online who are adamant we should move, is there seems to be an idea that moving guarantees us a seat at the top table and makes us competitive. In reality there are plenty of examples of that not being true - Spurs look likely to still just be Spurs at their new place regardless of how impressive it is, West Ham have moved and are now in a relegation battle and even Arsenal were pony for a long time in their new stadium (or perhaps a lot of these teams are partly pony BECAUSE of their new stadium). Mentions of Wembley and the twin towers further my belief that the grass isn't always greener - after all these years I still don't like the new Wembley and the generic bowl just doesn't feel "special" to me despite having watched Chelsea lift however many cups there in person. We could move, continue our recent backslide and then we've traded in our history for absolutely nothing. Then we are just an also ran club in a new soulless bowl. 

Yesterday I was reluctantly pro-moving but the more debates I see, the more ardent in my belief we need to stay.

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, Ham said:

12 hours ago, Ham said:

Now that's a beautiful stadium 💙

Strange one this!

Being in the stadium at that time I thought it looked a bit of a hole.  But looking at it from that angle and the way the light is hitting the pitc,  it does indeed look rather pretty. Either way, I have a lot of great memories from those days.

Edited by boratsbrother

10 minutes ago, FrankLampard8 said:

One thing I find strange from people i've seen online who are adamant we should move, is there seems to be an idea that moving guarantees us a seat at the top table and makes us competitive. In reality there are plenty of examples of that not being true - Spurs look likely to still just be Spurs at their new place regardless of how impressive it is, West Ham have moved and are now in a relegation battle and even Arsenal were pony for a long time in their new stadium (or perhaps a lot of these teams are partly pony BECAUSE of their new stadium). Mentions of Wembley and the twin towers further my belief that the grass isn't always greener - after all these years I still don't like the new Wembley and the generic bowl just doesn't feel "special" to me despite having watched Chelsea lift however many cups there in person. We could move, continue our recent backslide and then we've traded in our history for absolutely nothing. Then we are just an also ran club in a new soulless bowl. 

Yesterday I was reluctantly pro-moving but the more debates I see, the more ardent in my belief we need to stay.

Or.... Spurs and Arsenal were pony because they didn't invest in the squad before or after they moved stadium. 

If Boehly and co have shown anything it's that they are serious about investing in the future. 

1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

It really is , exactly how it looked when I went the first time.

First time I went, (Sep 1994) what I now assume were the builders working on what is now the MH Stand stopped work to watch the game.  I often imagine Batesy had them all shot with a crossbow afterwards for that particular sin being committed 😄

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FrankLampard8 said:

One thing I find strange from people i've seen online who are adamant we should move, is there seems to be an idea that moving guarantees us a seat at the top table and makes us competitive..

It's more a case of, if we don't get a bigger, better ground, we will definitely be left behind, both in terms of revenue and disgruntled fans who can't get a ticket.

I subscribe to the Monthly fanzine, and back in October's issue, there was an article about Members writing to the club and asking for a refund as they can't get a ticket for any game, due to the demand. 

We NEED a bigger ground, and on the site of SB, it will be very, very difficult, time consuming and costly (in relative comparison to elsewhere, like EC)

• Agree 2

25 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

It's more a case of, if we don't get a bigger, better ground, we will definitely be left behind, both in terms of revenue and disgruntled fans who can't get a ticket.

I subscribe to the Monthly fanzine, and back in October's issue, there was an article about Members writing to the club and asking for a refund as they can't get a ticket for any game, due to the demand. 

We NEED a bigger ground, and on the site of SB, it will be very, very difficult, time consuming and costly (in relative comparison to elsewhere, like EC)

Difficult and time consuming should be a walk in the park for Chelsea FC. We are the Mission Impossible club - just ask Bayern Munich! 

An honest question (no agenda), but how often do you go to home games? The reason why I ask is that most of the season ticket holders around me are committed Stamford Bridge stayers.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RDCW said:

Difficult and time consuming should be a walk in the park for Chelsea FC. We are the Mission Impossible club - just ask Bayern Munich! 

An honest question (no agenda), but how often do you go to home games? The reason why I ask is that most of the season ticket holders around me are committed Stamford Bridge stayers.

I have had a season ticket since 1991. 

I tend not to bother with domestic cup games anymore, trying to balance family life.

Edit - obviously the ideal scenario is stay at SB with a 65k new shiny stadium. I just don't see that as the realistic or practical option. If we go to Wembley for 4 years, that could be it for me. 

Edited by paulw66

Just now, paulw66 said:

I have had a season ticket since 1991. 

I tend not to bother with domestic cup games anymore, trying to balance family life.

Longer than me, then! I got mine in 1998. I went to every home game, including home cup games in 1997 and couldn't get a ticket to the cup final, so I got my season tickets the next season!

Do the guys around you share your opinion on moving?

2 hours ago, Ham said:

Or.... Spurs and Arsenal were pony because they didn't invest in the squad before or after they moved stadium. 

If Boehly and co have shown anything it's that they are serious about investing in the future. 

Yeah... Because they were paying for a big shiny stadium? Because the atmosphere and feel around the ground changed completely when they left their home?

3 hours ago, FrankLampard8 said:

Yeah... Because they were paying for a big shiny stadium? Because the atmosphere and feel around the ground changed completely when they left their home?

So if we knock down SB, and rebuild a completely new shiny stadium, how will that be any different?

Trigger's new broom. 

I feel a BETTER stadium rather than a BIGGER stadium.

I think the future,,and I don't mean next season.. will see a totally different approach to sports and football watching.

I am at the end of the age spectrum on here but even the younger set have the same approach to Chelsea albeit somewhat upgraded in tech resources and basically seating instead of the life threatening at times precarious footing (and "other"threats) on the steep terraces of old...even a casual look back at Scottish tragedies due to crowd pressure (as opposed to the Hilsborough disaster.) and old fashioned facilities.

I can watch basically any top level game around the World as long as I am prepared to pay to access the games and I am in a basically rural area on the Front Range of the Rockies.

Upgrade SB with the long view in mind including Euro football in some regular non knockout form and the female game as a wider audience pull in.

Provide facilities that us OG and apprentice OG's will sniff at and mock..easy access to toilets ?..in my day we yadda yadda......

Media payments will probably reflect the stay at home viewing and especially for the young kids a far easier way of enjoying the top level game than being trundled across London or the suburbs (anywhere) on the traditional wet Wednesday night non game!

For me I miss the sheer physical pleasure of a live game and all the access in the media world will never replace that but the six month old babies in Dad's supported team kit will have a totally different approach to the world when (if)they become aware enough to follow sports.

Stay and make it BETTER and long term..don't replicate on todays needs...look way ahead.

Smile time if I'm allowed to.... Blue Moon had a conniption (rightly so) when I mentioned a Slough Industrial Estate as a possible site for a new Chelsea.

What would be the worst case nightmare scenario for anyone here?

I will award the much coveted OGac trophy for the most impressive nightmare!

19 minutes ago, chara said:

Smile time if I'm allowed to.... Blue Moon had a conniption (rightly so) when I mentioned a Slough Industrial Estate as a possible site for a new Chelsea.

QPR move on to a shiny new stadium and we move to Loftus Rd. 

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, chara said:

TB loses it completely and targets a groundshare with Spurs

• Sad 1

43 minutes ago, chara said:

Five years groundshare with Wycombe Wanderers at the inaccessible Adams Park, followed by a return to a new and soulless version of the Bridge with 100,000 seats and nobody in them.

• Sad 1

26 minutes ago, chara said:

If you are an investment company and own a top European football, why not buy somewhere like EC build a state of the stadium for the price of your last two transfers windows, move your club to the new ground when it is ready. Then develop one of the last pieces of prime real estates available in SW6. 

make sure the architects design of SB incorporates existing features like centre spot and turnstiles.

4 minutes ago, Blue Moon said:

Five years groundshare with Wycombe Wanderers at the inaccessible Adams Park, followed by a return to a new and soulless version of the Bridge with 100,000 seats and nobody in them.

No ground share needed, the club owns Kingsmeadow. 

I’ll get my coat. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, chara said:

For me I miss the sheer physical pleasure of a live game and all the access in the media world will never replace that 

I also miss going to the games. I miss the social side of it. The banter of the fans. The travelling down to London. Getting back home at all hours of the morning after night games. Even the really crap games (and there were a lot of them when I stared to go) were still seen as a good day out.

The one thing I don't miss is having to go on those enormous escalators on the underground. I have a very deep fear of heights and had to grab hold of the side for dear life and never looked down. Wouldn't even speak until I got off it.🥴

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Blue Moon said:

You win

Actually you all win !

How about...buy Wembley outright after selling the SB site for gazillions... good access established stadia facilities and an extra few bob to host "big" games..of course most of the South of the River followers might well be lost over time.

Let all the "lesser" International games be spread around the country ... England v Mauritius at the new Everton place sounds like a great game!

Afternote...the new Denver Broncos owners are looking at the possibility of a new Stadium. That will be three in my time here!...a survey sent to fans for suggestions and also a statement that a sliding roof be a must. Quote of a $100 million dollar upgrade investment possible at the present site. 

Beware the USA penchant for relocation........

On 31/03/2023 at 10:38, RDCW said:

Longer than me, then! I got mine in 1998. I went to every home game, including home cup games in 1997 and couldn't get a ticket to the cup final, so I got my season tickets the next season!

Do the guys around you share your opinion on moving?

So the crowd I don't sit with, but go to games with, were largely of the opinion, that moving to EC and having no temporary move to somewhere ghastly, was the most logical, and obvious choice.

The only objectee was a chap who is 88. He would prefer 4 years away, and we stay at SB. I didn't have the heart to tell him there was a good chance he wouldn't then ever get to see the new ground.....

The people who sit near me were much the same. Shame to move, but it is the most logical option. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

So the crowd I don't sit with, but go to games with, were largely of the opinion, that moving to EC and having no temporary move to somewhere ghastly, was the most logical, and obvious choice.

The only objectee was a chap who is 88. He would prefer 4 years away, and we stay at SB. I didn't have the heart to tell him there was a good chance he wouldn't then ever get to see the new ground.....

The people who sit near me were much the same. Shame to move, but it is the most logical option. 

Thanks. That surprises me. Kudos to the old feller for assuming he will be around to enjoy the return to The Bridge! I hope he is!

OG musings.

The last game I attended at SB was about 88/89.

The SB I visited then was a far'ish away version of the first SB I visited.

SB as it is now is completely different from that time let alone my first visit and I could be watching Chelsea at an away game for all practical personal knowledge purposes although I am a SB stayer,,doesn't make any sense really.

The extent of the overall change in game watching is immense.

Before saturation TV coverage the only way to see a game was turn up at a ground on match day.

Those of us who played on a Saturday missed a lot of games and the gradual increase of TV coverage was a lottery regarding the chances of watching an edited version of your team's game.

Now I can watch every Chelsea game in every competition and usually even pre season friendlies and if I can't watch a game the recording or access to such is just a remote button press away.

In years ahead long past my transfer date my SB could well be gone and any new stadium will be the SB of coming generations.

The viewing audience I suspect world wide will be much greater than any live attendance and without the emotional and physical connection to our personal SB it really will not matter where...will it?