Chelsea Stadium Plans

Ham

1 hour ago, chara said:

OG musings.

The last game I attended at SB was about 88/89.

The SB I visited then was a far'ish away version of the first SB I visited.

SB as it is now is completely different from that time let alone my first visit and I could be watching Chelsea at an away game for all practical personal knowledge purposes although I am a SB stayer,,doesn't make any sense really.

The extent of the overall change in game watching is immense.

Before saturation TV coverage the only way to see a game was turn up at a ground on match day.

Those of us who played on a Saturday missed a lot of games and the gradual increase of TV coverage was a lottery regarding the chances of watching an edited version of your team's game.

Now I can watch every Chelsea game in every competition and usually even pre season friendlies and if I can't watch a game the recording or access to such is just a remote button press away.

In years ahead long past my transfer date my SB could well be gone and any new stadium will be the SB of coming generations.

The viewing audience I suspect world wide will be much greater than any live attendance and without the emotional and physical connection to our personal SB it really will not matter where...will it?

Good points. My first game was 73 and we had just pulled the old East Stand down before it was rebuilt. The Shed, the West and the MH of today bear no relation to what was there before at all. The atmosphere in those stands is totally different to what was there before. There is something about retaining the footprint or at least part of it, but it’s hard to quantify how important that would be after a couple of years in a new stadium, be it on or off site

Edited by McCreadie

• 3 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

I hear (admittedly via the Fail) that Earls Court is off and the new stadium will be a £2b redevelopment of Stamford Bridge. Boehly to announce plans over the summer.

They're going to be digging down apparently. 

So that the neighbours right to light is protected. 

1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

They're going to be digging down apparently. 

So that the neighbours right to light is protected. 

Digging down anywhere in London risks opening a can of worms. Hopefully they'll remember that grass needs sunlight to grow, or do the owners assume we play on AstroTurf?

4 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

Digging down anywhere in London risks opening a can of worms. Hopefully they'll remember that grass needs sunlight to grow, or do the owners assume we play on AstroTurf?

Oh no! They'll discover my illicit worm canning business!

Whilst I'm fully on board with the fact that Boehly and co are just about dumb enough to assume the AstroTurf thing there is actually no difference between digging down and building up from a light availability standpoint..........assuming you leave a hole at the top!

Just now, RDCW said:

Oh no! They'll discover my illicit worm canning business!

Whilst I'm fully on board with the fact that Boehly and co are just about dumb enough to assume the AstroTurf thing there is actually no difference between digging down and building up from a light availability standpoint..........assuming you leave a hole at the top!

You assume a lot methinks 😜

14 hours ago, Holymoly said:

I hear (admittedly via the Fail) that Earls Court is off and the new stadium will be a £2b redevelopment of Stamford Bridge. Boehly to announce plans over the summer.

The DM article appears to be based upon absolutely nothing.  Nothing new. Just rehashed speculation 

Until I hear officially that EC is off the table, it is most certainly still on. 

• Like 1

Interesting concept design from 2016 which purports to include 61000 seats.

Looking at the overhead design, and bearing in mind that we're meant to be buying the Stoll site, this could even be rotated in order to allow more seats. 

Apparently this design incorporates the existing west stand and is a stand by stand rebuild of the East, Shed and MHL stands. 

Thoughts?

Personally for me it's not as sexy as the H&dM design but as a stand by stand option I'd be happy with this.

Oh, and note the big "C" for Chelsea in the roof design 😮👍

Screenshot_20230427_235621_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230427_235610_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230427_235557_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230427_235543_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230427_235529_Chrome.jpg

2 hours ago, Ham said:

Interesting concept design from 2016 which purports to include 61000 seats.

Looking at the overhead design, and bearing in mind that we're meant to be buying the Stoll site, this could even be rotated in order to allow more seats. 

Apparently this design incorporates the existing west stand and is a stand by stand rebuild of the East, Shed and MHL stands. 

Thoughts?

Personally for me it's not as sexy as the H&dM design but as a stand by stand option I'd be happy with this.

Oh, and note the big "C" for Chelsea in the roof design 😮👍

Screenshot_20230427_235621_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230427_235610_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230427_235557_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230427_235543_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230427_235529_Chrome.jpg

I've not come across this before, were these official plans?

Personally not a fan of how it looks. If we stay at SB I think it would need to be a full demolition and fresh build in order to be worthwhile. A stand by stand rebuild could get really messy. 

If Earls Court is a possibility that has to be the best option. No 4 years (minimum) at Wembley, a bigger site and we can make money from selling the land at SB. 

6 hours ago, Willian Dollar Baby said:

I've not come across this before, were these official plans?

Personally not a fan of how it looks. If we stay at SB I think it would need to be a full demolition and fresh build in order to be worthwhile. A stand by stand rebuild could get really messy. 

If Earls Court is a possibility that has to be the best option. No 4 years (minimum) at Wembley, a bigger site and we can make money from selling the land at SB. 

No this was an unofficial render.  

Stand by stand, if possible, would be preferable to 4 years at Wembley for me as long as it doesn't take twice as long. 

I quite like the design personally.  

Agreed that EC would be best. 

7 hours ago, Willian Dollar Baby said:

we can make money from selling the land at SB. 

Clearlake are an investment company, therefore you would expect then to develop the land rather than sell it to maximise their investment.

I doubt anything will happen in the foreseeable future until such times the team shows continuity in the top 4. 

• 2 months later...
Just now, paulw66 said:

Would suggest a full rebuild. Just hope to God, not at Wembley for 3 or 4 years.

Interesting. Was he a fan?

Yes very much so , when I was older and had moved away from the area he'd collect the programmes for me .

Both my Grandads were local to the club and both were massive Chelsea fans which was then instilled in me too. 

My Grandad who lived there originally lived in Lewis Trust buildings until my Nan died and then because he was ex RAF they moved him to the Stoll building .

3 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Would suggest a full rebuild. Just hope to God, not at Wembley for 3 or 4 years.

I heard they were talking 5 years. Considering Spuds were evicted for 18 months it makes you wonder what the plans entail. Maybe Todd is intending to ship over a team of Mexicans to handle the construction.