Chelsea Stadium Plans

Ham

2 hours ago, chara said:

Hmm...heart is at SB but not against a move to EC...better than some out of Capital Trading Estate!...staying at SB whilst a new Stadium is built would be best for me as an OG as probably would mean I would see my Chelsea days out at SB rather than saying goodbye to a huge part of my days.

SB is completely changed from my first visit but still "Real Chelsea"

Yes, staying at the Bridge during a rebuild would be my first choice. Moving out for 4 or 5 years would be a very distant third choice.

No doubt though, that a move to EC would be financially a much better choice and also give the planners more space to go with any design they come up with, so I wouldn't be that sad if we do have to move there. After all, the great memories of the Bridge will always be with us no matter what 🙂

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, ROTG said:

Ken Bates never owned the Chelsea badge but that didn’t stop him. 

As the saying goes, “there is more than one way to skin a cat”, especially if you are a company worth ~$50 billion 

There is a big difference between the badge and the name of the club. I think we could argue that a club with a different name is a new club. A new club would have to start again at the bottom of the pyramid. I think the FA would agree after the nonsense surrounding Wimbledon.

1 hour ago, Sciatika said:

There is a big difference between the badge and the name of the club. I think we could argue that a club with a different name is a new club. A new club would have to start again at the bottom of the pyramid. I think the FA would agree after the nonsense surrounding Wimbledon.

Doubt it with Clearlake’s financial clout and with most of the club being owned by foreign investors. 

you seem to forget that uncle Ken bankrupted/ dissolved Chelsea football club and renamed it Chelsea football club 1982 and changed the badge due to the new company. Or something like that.

1 hour ago, boratsbrother said:

the great memories of the Bridge will always be with us no matter what 🙂

Like most things the arse, west spam and many others who have moved, the fans eventually forget old stadium once they see the benefits of the new stadium. 

55 minutes ago, ROTG said:

Like most things the arse, west spam and many others who have moved, the fans eventually forget old stadium once they see the benefits of the new stadium. 

The main problems with most of the stadiums built during the last 20 years or so, is so many of them lack character or style and I include Wembley and Arsenal's ground amongst those bland stadiums.

The Spurs stadium has raised the bar to a much higher standard and the new Everton ground looks truly stunning.

4 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

The main problems with most of the stadiums built during the last 20 years or so, is so many of them lack character or style and I include Wembley and Arsenal's ground amongst those bland stadiums.

The Spurs stadium has raised the bar to a much higher standard and the new Everton ground looks truly stunning.

Hence a blank canvas with EC2

rounder, rodeos, netball can all be accommodated with a blank canvas. Unlike the rules and regulations associated with SB and the council. 

Edited by ROTG

11 hours ago, ROTG said:

Doubt it with Clearlake’s financial clout and with most of the club being owned by foreign investors. 

you seem to forget that uncle Ken bankrupted/ dissolved Chelsea football club and renamed it Chelsea football club 1982 and changed the badge due to the new company. Or something like that.

In 1982, Bates owned it. CPO didn't come into existence until 1983.

1 hour ago, Sciatika said:

In 1982, Bates owned it. CPO didn't come into existence until 1983.

Didn't Bates discover, after buying the club, that he didn't own the freehold on the stadium, because the Mears family had flogged it to a property developer (David Bulstrode?)? That's what led to the Save The Bridge campaign, bucket collections at matches, years of ultimately successful legal battles, and finally the creation of CPO.

Sorry, that should have been 1993 (typo). Bates owned the business and, consequently, the name. I believe you are right about the freehold, but at this remove, names fail me. I must get around to reading the biography by Rick Glanvill on the bookshelves but, as yet, untouched.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

4 hours ago, boratsbrother said:

I genuinely loved playing rounders at school. The one game where the boys and girls could play together and have a lot of fun.🙂

Me Too!..Softball,,(slower baseball!),,,Rotary v Lions...me.."What do I have to do so I don't have to run all the way round?"

Derisory laughs "Just knock it out of the park" giggle...I let the first pitch go...hit second one out of the park,,,finish my gentle stroll around the diamond.."Is that all there is to it?"...with a very polite English accent,,,hand/ eye coordination wins anywhere!

21 hours ago, boratsbrother said:

so many of them lack character or style and I include Wembley and Arsenal's ground amongst those bland stadiums.

Agree.

Been to both a few times and they're soleless. Totally and utterly flat largely due to the design and layout. Any new stadium needs the terraces or seating to butt right up against the pitch.

8 hours ago, Sciatika said:

Sorry, that should have been 1993 (typo). Bates owned the business and, consequently, the name. I believe you are right about the freehold, but at this remove, names fail me. I must get around to reading the biography by Rick Glanvill on the bookshelves but, as yet, untouched.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's a biography, not a history, least of all a financial history.
Written by a Rock Music journalist.  Very good on characters and myths, not very good on facts or truths.

• 4 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, Ham said:

Anyone got an Athletic sub to get beyond the paywall? 

If you visit https://archive.ph/ you can unblock pretty much any article (athletic, times etc.)
Just paste the URL of the original article in the red "My url is alive and I want to archive its content box" and press Save

Edited by Max Fowler
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 3

19 hours ago, Max Fowler said:

https://theathletic.com/5080174/2023/11/22/chelsea-stamford-bridge-earls-court/

Good article today on stadium.

Does anyone else favour a move to Earls Court?

I've always said I'd prefer it. I worried about demolishing the stadium and the potential for costs to spiral or issues to arise under an ownership I had complete faith in and during a more (it is all relative!) politically and economically stable period. The idea of doing it now or the near future terrifies me.