Message added by My Blood Is Blue,

Matchday prediction  

16 members have voted

1. 1. What will the result be?

• Chelsea win
    • Draw
    • Tottenham win

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/05/24 at 17:30

1 hour ago, Bison said:

happy to see the Badiashile we saw last season.

Pleased that he had a good game, but he really does need to work on his clearances, nearly all of them end up being short and straight to an opponent, other than that he looked better today. 

1 hour ago, ROTG said:

No he doesn’t 

Doesn't matter what his price was. What matters is that he's improved so much that he's become our first choice LB. 

Even when he was terrible I loved his energy and enthusiasm. I thought his biggest problem was that he was actually so enthusiastic it resulted in him being a ball chaser and not thinking about his position. He's still hot bags of energy but is more calm and thinking better these days. No Ashley Cole by any means, but now worth a place in the team and getting better and better.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

All the  media spotlight and stick has been on us this season, but even when we've had a  difficult season,  we've still been to a cup final a semi final and done the spuds twice and they end up with their usual bag of hype and nothing else.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

Poch is bang right for having a go about the relentless scrutiny he's under one game fron the next. Imho, it's  time TB came out and stopped the speculation and tell the media that Poch will be seeing out his contract. 

He gets paid zillions to put up with the 'relentless scrutiny'.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, chara said:

@east lower,,,Hows the mood?

Anxious, we came out just the same as we have done for most of the season. Second best in effort, couldn’t get hold of and keep the ball. Fortunately they weren’t good enough to fashion a chance and to be fair we didn’t make a mistake. 

Cucurella, Caicedo and Gallagher were good as were the two central defenders.

Jackson did ok again, Madueke looks like he may just be realising he has to be effective in both halves of the pitch. Palmer oozes class, one of those players who just seems to have time, all the time.

Happy campers from the second goal onwards and always nice to beat that lot - no matter how many times we’ve done it 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Green shoots of a young team coming together?...no idea.

It's obvious that Gallagher and Caicedo should be a combination in midfield that is the norm.

Wow! what has happened to Cucu? - he looks like a different player.

He looks faster and positionally savvy.Has he paid for private lessons from a good coach!

8 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Sadly, you’re probably right, but I  really hope they don’t. Chalobah has started to show the form we’ve seen previously and on this form, he shouldn’t be going anywhere.

I’ll be furious if they sell Gallagher, especially if some of the players who clearly are underperforming/not good enough stick around.

I’d sell Enzo (and Mudryk) in a heartbeat to keep Conor and Trev. 💯

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

Next season will show

whether the Americans have learned anything.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

A good solid and dare I say it , almost mature performance. Cucurella was very good in that hybrid LB cum inverted midfielder role. He’s maybe starting to show that if we can have a little patience, there is improvement to come.

I liked Madueke performance too. He played in a more mature way, his physical body strength was also impressive and not something I had noticed previously, but the spurs players couldn’t handle his strength throughout.

Maybe there is still some hope for Badiashille, as he looked better than he has for most of this season.

As ever with this season, this result is now only as good as the next, because far too often we follow a good result and performance with a shocker, so it would be great to see the team put together a run of results and performances through to the end of the season now. If we can do that, then top 6 isn't impossible.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

8 hours ago, Floyd25 said:

Pleased that he had a good game, but he really does need to work on his clearances, nearly all of them end up being short and straight to an opponent, other than that he looked better today. 

There not clearances. Badiashile is always trying to advance play and attempt aline breaking passes a lot. It's what impressed me a lot about him last season.

You'll rarely see him hoof the ball under pressure. Perfect example from the Villa game:

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bison said:

There not clearances. Badiashile is always trying to advance play and attempt aline breaking passes a lot. It's what impressed me a lot about him last season.

Which is admirable, I agree with you, however I can’t help but notice that a lot of the time with his passes/clearances (probably a mixture of both), he’s putting the ball straight back in to a dangerous area, just something that he needs to work on in my opinion. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Strange that every time we put Gallagher and Caicedo together we look solid. Take note Poch... The luxury midfielder who has the turning circle of an HGV in mud Enzo ruins the balance of the team.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Ham said:

Caicedo and Cucurella looked like the Caicedo and Cucurella we bought. 

Who knew?

Apart from me, that is. 

steady on old chap 

You could count your fingers on two hand the amount of decent games they have both played for the club. Don't get me wrong they hare looking better, now that one being told where to position himself by a couple CB who seem to be commanding the back line and the other not having the milestone called Enzo around his neck.

Are they £200m worth of talent, sorry but that is a big no, if they can sustain their current form for the remainder of the season and hold it next season  then one could say it money wisely spent.

On the positive at least they will have the same coach to coach them next season 

1 hour ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

Problem is we would have to take huge losses on Enzo and Mudryk right at a time when we cannot afford to take such losses. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Floyd25 said:

Which is admirable, I agree with you, however I can’t help but notice that a lot of the time with his passes/clearances (probably a mixture of both), he’s putting the ball straight back in to a dangerous area, just something that he needs to work on in my opinion. 

Yeah I agree, I think he was struggling to find his range after coming back from injury but he seems much improved in the last two games. Did seem to play a lot better alongside Chalobah too, maybe something to consider moving forward. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

As ever with this season, this result is now only as good as the next, because far too often we follow a good result and performance with a shocker, so it would be great to see the team put together a run of results and performances through to the end of the season now. If we can do that, then top 6 isn't impossible.

We also played well against Villa so they have put together a couple of good performances. Made better by them being  two teams we will be looking to catch or overtake next season. 

I'm already prepared to stick my neck out and say we'll finish 4th next season. Providing we keep Gallagher that is. 

• Like 1

The CB's were better but they still defended poorly to one cross when they allowed a free header from a few yards out which should have made it 1-1. Also, Petrovich doesn't come out enough to help them. 

• Like 1

I think another reason that contributed to us looking more solid last night was Gilchrist.

Gusto has had a very promising first season and clearly the two players are a good way apart with what they contribute.

In truth, we don't even really know if Gilchrist is of PL quality. Last night he was effective though cos he didn't try and replicate a full back, he played like a centre half who was playing full back and kept it simple. He competed for a lot of headers on the night and won his fair share of them, and I think this added an extra solid foundation and height to our defence on the night. Additionally, the role that Cucurella was playing also meant that Gilchrist could focus on occupy the defensive space down the right hand side. 

That extra aerial height definitely helped us, but the clear trade off is we lose one of our main attacking threats with Gusto has provided during the season.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, boratsbrother said:

Problem is we would have to take huge losses on Enzo and Mudryk right at a time when we cannot afford to take such losses. 

I'm not as convinced on this. There will be some loss, but I don't neccesarily think it would be huge.

I think Enzo is a fantastic football, but I suspect it is becoming more and more apparent that this is probably not the ideal league for him. I could see him being a big asset for PSG, Madrid, Barca, Bayern level though. The problem will be is only a very small handful of clubs could afford him, so we are a little limited in options there. I think we could get £70m area back for him, should one of the very few clubs who could afford him be interested.

I also think you would find takers for Mudryk and probably at around £40m-£50m. I think everyone can see there is potential there, its how do you unlock it. In a weaker league than the PL, I think this lad could still explode as a player. I just think the PL is too strong for his level right now. If he does leave and goes somewhere else for 2-3 seasons, it wouldn't surprise me to see him back in England when he is 27 area and he looks a different player. I could see him going to Italy, Germany and becoming the player we thought we were getting. Loan with an option to buy at a market price aligned to his potential would be the way to go here. If he tears it up in a weaker league at a club that can afford him, I think you get back £50m on him.

So I think we would inevitably make a loss with these two, but I don't think it would be a huge losses where we write off millions.

Not advocating selling either just yet, but the Enzo sale would tempt me more of the two.

• Agree 2

Great result although I can't see us overhauling both Manure and Newcastle before the end of the season. Aside from United having to play Arsenal and the two teams above us having to play each other the run ins are fairly similar. Given our proclivity to bugger things up I doubt we'll win all our remaining games either although we really should, injuries allowing. 

Still, in the meantime, let's continue to bask in the joy of doing the double over the October League champions.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1