Message added by My Blood Is Blue,

Matchday prediction  

16 members have voted

1. 1. What will the result be?

• Brighton win
    • Draw
    • Chelsea win

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 15/05/24 at 17:30

6 hours ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

No one says he’s perfect but to call him a “liability” and should be sold? 🤡 🌎 

He’s missed 155 days and 38 games this season through injury. Plus 2 games missed for suspension. 

He’s started 6 games for us all season and hasn’t played 90 minutes once. I’d say that’s pretty darn close to being a liability. It’s definitely not a player you can count on. 

5 hours ago, Original 21 said:

Physical assault that leads to concussion doesn’t get a second look.  But a petulant kick out gets interpreted as violent conduct. Just bloody nonsense. 

It is nonsense.  But James has to learn, it was so unnecessary. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guest Alex
6 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

Reluctantly yes. Purely on what the players think and my deep fear of getting Southgate.

It takes a big man to climb down from a position, which is why so many choose to double-down rather than change an opinion or admit to being wrong.

Glad that optimism seems to have taken hold even in the anti-Pochettino brigade. Great end to the season, big signs of progress and much to look forward to next season, although a long-term injury to Palmer especially, or Gallagher and we'd be screwed.

Another win on Sunday and most will go into next season with renewed optimism.

The one thing that stands out for me is the pairing of Caicedo and Conor in midfield.

It's not a coincidence that we ended on a high without Enzo and these two lads as the engine in the team

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

6 minutes ago, Alex said:

It takes a big man to climb down from a position, which is why so many choose to double-down rather than change an opinion or admit to being wrong.

Glad that optimism seems to have taken hold even in the anti-Pochettino brigade. Great end to the season, big signs of progress and much to look forward to next season, although a long-term injury to Palmer especially, or Gallagher and we'd be screwed.

I'm with Mark still,,,things look better,,still don;t think he is a dynasty coach or even very good but as long as he does the business I will support him,,it's his ":form" that keeps bothering me...,the "almost man" and don't forget how dire Chelsea have been at times,,,,, today especially I thought "Who is coaching this lot NOW?"😆

6 minutes ago, chara said:

I'm with Mark still,,,things look better,,still don;t think he is a dynasty coach or even very good but as long as he does the business I will support him,,it's his ":form" that keeps bothering me...,the "almost man" and don't forget how dire Chelsea have been at times,,,,, today especially I thought "Who is coaching this lot NOW?"😆

Yes. One thing that worries me he stumbled upon the pairing of Caicedo and Conor in midfield,it wasn't his design - remember he stuck Conor out wide!.

Anyway I for one is looking forward to next season - I wouldn't have said that 6 games ago.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

Me neither. We have a player on loan somewhere called Maatson ( spelling). He was an academy product and a real prospect at left back. We will probably shift him out like CHO for 3.5 million ( or considerably less). 

I'd love to know how much power Poch has on recruitment and who we let go.

Maatsen looked really good pre-season and then ditched.Chabolah has always looked reliable as a centre half but seemed to be down the pecking order.

Badiashile looks like he has a few teeth missing on the cog that operates his brain and yet he gets more playing time than he deserves imo.

Edited by kev61

Good result and a good, professional performance. Progress has clearly been made and Poch deserves credit for that, however, I still remember the really bad days we’ve had this season and they can’t happen again… we lose, but we don’t lose how we’ve lost some of the matches this season, that’s never ok.

Last night was good and cemented this run of form and results, just 1 more to go and Europa should be ours (unless City mess up the final). I can’t see Sheff Utd getting a result against Spurs on Sunday, but finishing within 3 points of them highlights the turn in form for both clubs. Europa will be good for this squad though.

We have to have much more confidence going into next season, we just have to keep players fit!

Such a shame we've not had this quality available throughout the season.

Skill and technique, doesn't turn the ball over every two seconds and a controlled finisher. 

• Like 3

Also, quick question RE an elephant in the room we all seem to be ignoring/not seeing… have they actually put together a good young squad and are we going to need to put our hands up and say that maybe we got it a bit wrong in terms of those that built this side?

I’m not suggesting they got it all right or that we paid market value for each player, but the list of players that are looking like good signings/potential to be good signings is growing (appreciate some of these are still up for debate)…

Petrovic (24 years old)
Gusto (20)
Cucurella (25)
Badiashile (23)
Caicedo (22)
Nkunku (26)
Chukwuemeka (20)
Palmer (22)
Madueke (22)
Jackson (22)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Also, quick question RE an elephant in the room we all seem to be ignoring/not seeing… have they actually put together a good young squad and are we going to need to put our hands up and say that maybe we got it a bit wrong in terms of those that built this side?

I’m not suggesting they got it all right or that we paid market value for each player, but the list of players that are looking like good signings/potential to be good signings are growing (appreciate some of these are still up for debate)…

Petrovic
Gusto
Cucurella
Badiashile
Caicedo
Nkunku
Chukwuemeka
Palmer
Madueke
Jackson

What are you basing this on the last 4 games - or the season?

4 minutes ago, ROTG said:

What are you basing this on the last 4 games - or the season?

The development over the season. Yes the last 4 games will be painting a prettier picture than it may be, but I don’t think we can deny the progress over the season as the players have learnt to play with each other etc. A lot of them have had plenty of shockers over the season, but the brain farts are happening less and less, IMO.

Last nights performance was tactically smart and professional, which indicates they are learning and listening and therefore progressing.

Im not saying the players I listed are all going to be world class players, but they’re starting to look like a good set of players and once you add some experience and a couple of ‘elite’ players to the squad, we could be on to something.

To be clear, I’m also not saying, wow they have built a great squad, I’m just suggesting our opinions may need to shift if the progression of these players and squad continues into next season.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

I've just seen a quotation from Cole Palmer after the match saying how all the players love the manager and want him to stay and he has been far more engaged in the games recently so on balance .

Reluctantly yes. Purely on what the players think and my deep fear of getting Southgate.

I suspect many of us would not accept that it's not a simple binary choice of good v bad when judging a manager.  Somewhere in the spectrum of good managers is a Mauricio Pochettino line. The question is how far away from the bad end and how thick that line is. 

Is he good enough to coach Chelsea,?  - Yes, most probably.

If he the manager to take us back to our PL and European glory days? - I don't think so. 

Should he be given more time?  - One more season to prove the doubters wrong. Moreover, If he goes now, he'll become that great manager that would have won us a dozen PL and CL  trophies. 

It's fair to say we're stuck with Pochettino for at least one more season, for better or for worse.

Edited by Siidi
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Siidi said:

Is he good enough to coach Chelsea,?  Yes, most probably.

If he the manager to take us back to our PL and European glory days? I don't think so. 

Are the two paragraphs not contradictory?

If he's not potentially good enough to bring us glory then why not sack him? 

Just now, kev61 said:

He’s building the foundations of a new team, ready to be taken over by the next man, who will hopefully be the manager that is good enough to bring us glory.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, kev61 said:

That's the question. Some of our supporters have argued that returning to our glory days will take several seasons and managers. Pochettino should be given the chance  to prove them wrong, perhaps.

8 minutes ago, Siidi said:

I suspect many of us would not accept that it's not a simple binary choice of good v bad when judging a manager.  Somewhere in the spectrum of good managers is a Pochettino line. The question is how far away from the bad end and how thick that line is. 

Is he good enough to coach Chelsea,?  Yes, most probably.

If he the manager to take us back to our PL and European glory days? I don't think so. 

Over the last 5 games the team has won 13/15 pts so have Everton and Palace, whereas Manure and Newcastle 7/15 with the spuds in free fall 3/15, 

The team itself  is 16 pts up on last seasons total which  is enough to keep Poch next season,  the next step to see if the current squad can push on next season bearing in mind if they take the Europe option that’s 2-3 games per week 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Guest Alex
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, chara said:

I think the pro and contra Pochettino sides came together in agreement towards the end that there have been firm signs of progress and definite reasons for optimism next season.

I think we also all agree that there may be better coaches to take the project forward in summer 2025, but he's done a damned sight better than Potter in a similar situation the season before. Also, like for Man Utd, there's a sense that whoever is currently available will likely be no better.

Edited by Alex

10 minutes ago, kev61 said:

The main reason is there is no top class coach out there who would take over the team with the current hierarchy. Look at the coaches that said no thanks last season

Whatever any of us think about the manager, who's right, who's wrong there is absolutely no doubt that he 100% should get a second season.

To finish 6th on 63 points, get to one domestic cup final, although the fact we didn't win it is a big negative on him and this season but there is no way we sack him now. Especially this summer with the potential manager merry go round. 

Funny thing is I wouldn't put it past these owners and even I would be fuming if we did replace him now.

The decision to keep him is a no brainer, the big decision is do we allow him to go into the season in the last year of his contract?

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Ham said:

Those dropped points against Burnley and Sheffield United are looking kinda important now. 

More importantly, if we hadn't let a 2 goal lead slip against Arsenal, we're pushing for 4th and they're already done.

In 2024 the team took 2/12 pts from the top 4 teams - that is reality and nothing to do with Burnley 

and is a reality check on the level of the team 

Edited by ROTG

19 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

He’s building the foundations of a new team, ready to be taken over by the next man, who will hopefully be the manager that is good enough to bring us glory.

Like Ranieri and Mourhino?.Possible but unlikely.

16 minutes ago, Siidi said:

That's the question. Some of our supporters have argued that returning to our glory days will take several seasons and managers. Pochettino should be given the chance  to prove them wrong, perhaps.

Yes I'm ready to agree.I said before if we finish with a flurry he deserves another chance until next crimbo.