Squad Status: 2024/25 Season

Message added by My Blood Is Blue,

1 hour ago, Ham said:

He's going straight back to Boca. 

Yes but is he going straight back to Boca, or is he joining us from Boca at some point after Xmas or next summer? It can be a binding agreement to transfer, rather than it being a buy and loan back

Looking for some sense or pattern?..... I have mentioned it before but the whole approach to players in USA sport is different from elsewhere,,,with notable exceptions journeymen players..not a term of disrespect ...move around the various sports setups on a regular trading basis without the handwringing cries from supporters we have here due, I think, to a totally different approach to club loyalties from followers,,as I see it looking from the outside the loyalty is more to a "shirt" than affection etc for individual players.... somewhat over generlisation as top top players are revered but that doesn't appear to run through to the sort of arguments beloved players of limited ability get in our game when there is discussions or transfer rumours.

Just my take...not a definitive statement.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Santos going to Strasbourg on loan. Announced on Friday, apparently.

Makes sense. Only have to sort out the futures of the following 17:

Petrovic, Arrizabalaga, Bergström, Beach, Gilchrist, Chilwell, Veiga, Wiley, Chalobah, Humphreys, Gallagher, Casadei, Kellyman, Gabriel, Broja, Fofana and Washington. 

Someone is going to be ridiculously busy. 

Leaving this squad of 26:

Sanchez, Jørgensen, Bettinelli, James, Gusto, Cucurella, Colwill, Fofana, Badiashile, Disasi, Adarabioyo, Acheampong, Caicedo, Fernandez, Lavia, Dewsbury-Hall, Chukwuemeka, Ugochukwu, Nkunku, Palmer, Sterling, Madueke, Mudryk, George, Jackson, Guiu

We may add another striker. 

27 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Petrovic, Arrizabalaga, Bergström, Beach, Gilchrist, Chilwell, Veiga, Wiley, Chalobah, Humphreys, Gallagher, Casadei, Kellyman, Gabriel, Broja, Fofana and Washington. 

Sanchez, Jørgensen, Bettinelli, James, Gusto, Cucurella, Colwill, Fofana, Badiashile, Disasi, Adarabioyo, Acheampong, Caicedo, Fernandez, Lavia, Dewsbury-Hall, Chukwuemeka, Ugochukwu, Nkunku, Palmer, Sterling, Madueke, Mudryk, George, Jackson, Guiu

Futures to sort out also for Slonina, Anjorin, Burstow, Vale, Moreira, Richards, Sturge and Matos (based on players that seem to have been training with the loan group rather than the U21s). Even if as expected Santos, Gabriel and Wiley go to Strasbourg and take up 3 of the 6 overseas loan slots.

From your squad of 26 I think you can discount Acheampong and George as full-time members and add in a second LB (probably Chilwell) and another striker, as you say.

2 hours ago, chiswickblue said:

Futures to sort out also for Slonina, Anjorin, Burstow, Vale, Moreira, Richards, Sturge and Matos (based on players that seem to have been training with the loan group rather than the U21s). Even if as expected Santos, Gabriel and Wiley go to Strasbourg and take up 3 of the 6 overseas loan slots.

From your squad of 26 I think you can discount Acheampong and George as full-time members and add in a second LB (probably Chilwell) and another striker, as you say.

Yeah, it’s an awful lot of players who will need new clubs for the season. As you say, there are more than from my list. I just mentioned the players who are listed in the first team squad on the website. 

Chilwell I think will struggle. Where is he doing to play in Marescas system? Maybe Veiga is a shout? 

5 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Not sure if 26 is enough?

there is a rumour going around, that the team is expected to play 70 -80 games this season 

1 hour ago, ROTG said:

Not sure if 26 is enough?

there is a rumour going around, that the team is expected to play 70 -80 games this season 

I highly doubt that we will play 70-80 games. A normal season with runs in both cups and Europe usually means high 50’s to low 60’s. Where is that 10-20 extra games going to come from? 

18 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

I highly doubt that we will play 70-80 games. A normal season with runs in both cups and Europe usually means high 50’s to low 60’s. Where is that 10-20 extra games going to come from? 

World club championship?

Premier league: 38

League Cup: max 6

FA Cup: max 6

Conference league: max 15

Club World Cup: max 7

So the maximum is 72 matches, if we get to the final in all competitions including taking the scenic route in the Conference League.

11 minutes ago, chiswickblue said:

Premier league: 38

League Cup: max 6

FA Cup: max 6

Conference league: max 15

Club World Cup: max 7

So the maximum is 72 matches, if we get to the final in all competitions including taking the scenic route in the Conference League.

Good one for  @My Blood Is Blue to do a poll on how many games the club will play this season. 😀

Edited by ROTG
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

The sports directors are making the bed, let them lie in it.

Just amazes me that there isn't even a whiff of them being under pressure. I've never known two people to be this bad at this level and just be allowed to carry on as normal. 

14 minutes ago, Bison said:

Just amazes me that there isn't even a whiff of them being under pressure. I've never known two people to be this bad at this level and just be allowed to carry on as normal. 

That we know of. I can’t believe internally they aren’t under pressure and if they aren’t then it says a lot about the people they report into, which I presume is the board. From the personnel perspective the owners are putting a lot of faith in those two men, relating to their investment.

• Agree 1

32 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

That we know of. I can’t believe internally they aren’t under pressure and if they aren’t then it says a lot about the people they report into, which I presume is the board. From the personnel perspective the owners are putting a lot of faith in those two men, relating to their investment.

You would like to think there is some kind of assessment in place by those actually running the club and that should it all fall apart then they will be the first two out of the door. 

I won't be holding my breath and the club certainly don't give a hoot about what we think anyway , that's if they ever have through history which I sincerely doubt. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Bison said:

Anselmino confirmed. The madness continues. 

Yep. It’s not the strategy to buy young talents that are the mistake. It’s the sheer volume of players that is the problem. We would have been in a much better state if we had bought perhaps 30-40% of the young players we have. There is no way for us to get meaningful loans for all of them and make this a successful financial strategy, let alone a sporting success. 

Ugochukwu was completely pointless (since we also bought Lavia and Caicedo). Kellyman ditto - we have Nkunku, Chukwuemeka and Palmer. Wiley and Veiga - we have Cucurella and Chilwell and had Maatsen and Hall - both better options. The list of such examples goes on virtually everywhere on the pitch. Don’t even get me started with the goalkeepers! 

1 hour ago, Bison said:

It’s because it’s sanctioned from the very top. This is the strategy. They are just carrying it out as instructed.