Squad Status: 2024/25 Season

Message added by My Blood Is Blue,

6 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

But Gabriel really did look the better of the two in our side which is odd given their reputation don't you think? 

I didn't watch anything but highlights, which doesn't really help.

I guess Santos staying could mean a needed loan for Big Les, as opposed to impacting Gallagher. 

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Both ended up at Strasbourg

Santos has already played for the full Brazil national team, which is some achievement and is only 6 months older. He must be highly enough regarded by those in charge to call him up.

Gabriel, whilst I can't say I watched him, played 24 games for Strasbourg without scoring, before getting injured. Hardly glowing for a forward. 

Not wishing to downplay his achievements, as I have high hopes for Santos, but his one and - so far - only cap for the full Brazil team came when it was managed by Ramon Menezes who had been in charge of the U-20s during the 2023 South American U-20 Championship . Santos was the captain, scored half a dozen or so goals and lifted the trophy. At the time Chelsea were also trying hard to get him a work permit (or so many journos were claiming) and it was even suggested that his (premature?) call up to the NT was designed to help Santos get more "visa points"

He seems to have had a good loan at Strasbourg, turning into an Essien-style midfielder (though still at levels far below him, given his age and experience) 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

This is another one that I appear to be on my own with , now I know the sample is great but last preseason when we had Santos playing for us , in my opinion he was inferior to Gabriel , and Gabriel has vanished on loan somewhere presumably never to be seen again and Santos is still being talked up.

I do question my judgement sometimes in the face of the collective opinion. 

6 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

But Gabriel really did look the better of the two in our side which is odd given their reputation don't you think? 

Your recollection is spot on.  Gabriel was outstanding last pre-season against PL opponents. 

I thought we had a potential star on our hands.  

• Thanks 1

IF the current rumours are true, and we sign Duran and Olise, we could line up with 4-2-3-1 with this to choose from:

GK - need a new no1, then sub is Petrovic / Sanchez, Bettinelli 3rd

Def - James, Fofana, Colwill, Cucurella, Gusto, Disasi, Badishile, Tosin

Mid - Caicedo, Enzo, Gallagher, Lavia, Santos

Fwds - Olise, Palmer, Nkunku, Mudryk, Madueke, Chuk

Str - Jackson, Duran

That's 21 outfield players (seems about right), allowing for loans for Gilchrist, Casadei, Washington, and Big Les, and permanent departures for Trev, Chilwell, Sterling. 

I'd buy a top GK, then sell or loan one of the current 2. 

That squad looks pretty good IMO. Against the weaker sides, you could have a Palmer / Nkunku as 10, in front of a midfield 2. In tougher games, probably a midfield 3. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

On 13/06/2024 at 15:49, paulw66 said:

IF the current rumours are true, and we sign Duran and Olise, we could line up with 4-2-3-1 with this to choose from:

GK - need a new no1, then sub is Petrovic / Sanchez, Bettinelli 3rd

Def - James, Fofana, Colwill, Cucurella, Gusto, Disasi, Badishile, Tosin

Mid - Caicedo, Enzo, Gallagher, Lavia, Santos

Fwds - Olise, Palmer, Nkunku, Mudryk, Madueke, Chuk

Str - Jackson, Duran

That's 21 outfield players (seems about right), allowing for loans for Gilchrist, Casadei, Washington, and Big Les, and permanent departures for Trev, Chilwell, Sterling. 

I'd buy a top GK, then sell or loan one of the current 2. 

That squad looks pretty good IMO. Against the weaker sides, you could have a Palmer / Nkunku as 10, in front of a midfield 2. In tougher games, probably a midfield 3. 

Agreed, really good squad, but you'd sell Chilwell without signing another left-back? 

2 hours ago, Rob B said:

Agreed, really good squad, but you'd sell Chilwell without signing another left-back? 

Possibly

Cucurella has a good fitness record. Then if we need someone to fill in there is Colwill and there's the young lad we got from Everton.

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, bertles86 said:

Tis an interesting midfield puzzle for Maresca. He also needs to work who our best two CBs are, because Poch certainly didn't work that out.

formation.png

Looks good to me. Still holding out hope for the Fofana/Colwill axis though.

5 hours ago, bertles86 said:

Tis an interesting midfield puzzle for Maresca. He also needs to work who our best two CBs are, because Poch certainly didn't work that out.

formation.png

Liking the all English back four 

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Ham said:

Liking the all English back four 

Looks nice on paper but a bit concerning if Chalobah is deemed a first choice CB option. 

I'd also prefer Cucurella at LB over Chilwell at this point, and honestly probably Gusto over James. 

Edited by xceleryx

On 01/07/2024 at 04:00, xceleryx said:

Looks nice on paper but a bit concerning if Chalobah is deemed a first choice CB option. 

Well RCBs are Disasi (not a 1st choice), Fofana not played competitive football for 349 days and Trev. So he was the only logical choice. Unless the medics identify that Reece should move to CB to take the load off his hammies? Could Captain James be the solution to RCB?

22 minutes ago, bertles86 said:

Well RCBs are Disasi (not a 1st choice), Fofana not played competitive football for 349 days and Trev. So he was the only logical choice. Unless the medics identify that Reece should move to CB to take the load off his hammies? Could Captain James be the solution to RCB?

Don't you think Adarabioyo will play RCB alongside either Colwill or Badiashile?

If only we could now sell Disasi instead of Chalobah, but the squad-building geniuses will sell the high-performing academy product and keep the average-performing expensive signing.

19 hours ago, chiswickblue said:

Don't you think Adarabioyo will play RCB alongside either Colwill or Badiashile?

If only we could now sell Disasi instead of Chalobah, but the squad-building geniuses will sell the high-performing academy product and keep the average-performing expensive signing.

Possible. Depends on Maresca, pre season and the system.

On 03/07/2024 at 06:10, bertles86 said:

By default, sure.  I mean, Disasi can be argued as he's certainly better than Chalobah in certain areas of need. Neither are the ideal solution though and are squad players. I don't see RJ moving into a CB role any time soon. Completely negates his best qualities, and it would only make some semblance of sense if we going full time with a back three where he'd take that RCB and still get forward to some degree.

On 03/07/2024 at 06:35, chiswickblue said:

High-performing academy product is a bit of an exaggeration. 

Chalobah is reasonable, capable of his good games just as much as bad ones. There's not really any particular area of his game that stands out specifically, and he's awful when it comes to anything in the air. A solid run at the end of the season doesn't change his overall status. He's an expendable player that could easily be replaced, so if we can fleece a side for £30-40m then you gotta take that opportunity when it presents. 

• Agree 2

^^^^^^^^^
do us all a favour and stop the academy sledging, one gets the impression you are either Winstanley, Stewart or Shields with your anti RA approach. 

4 minutes ago, ROTG said:

^^^^^^^^^
do us all a favour and stop the academy sledging, one gets the impression you are either Winstanley, Stewart or Shields with your anti RA approach. 

Do you disagree with anything he just wrote about TC? 

1 minute ago, Ham said:

The lot, when you see the other options purchased at nearly £200m

3 minutes ago, ROTG said:

The lot, when you see the other options purchased at nearly £200m

So he IS consistently good and he IS good on the air then?

Just now, Ham said:

Don't even know why he still replies to my posts, he knows he's on ignore and yet I'm still living rent free in his head.

^^^^^^^^^^*
it’s more the case of you writing meaningless theories, most of the time and hide behind the ignore option as it did not take a lot to knock your theories out of the ground for six 

2 hours ago, Ham said:

So he IS consistently good and he IS good on the air then?

As proven at the end of last season his all round game was far superior to the Disasi’s of this world 

only the anti academy posters on here are the ones who say everything to do with the RA and now Neil Bath era are poop.

20 minutes ago, ROTG said:

As proven at the end of last season his all round game was far superior to the Disasi’s of this world 

only the anti academy posters on here are the ones who say everything to do with the RA and now Neil Bath era are poop.

Anyone who criticises any of the hundreds of academy graduates is "anti academy". 

M'kay.  

13 minutes ago, Ham said:

Anyone who criticises any of the hundreds of academy graduates is "anti academy". 

M'kay.  

I don't think there's a team in top grade football that has a team of graduates from the academy playing for them. 

We have a glut of players and they are at the end of the day not all suitable for us but they could well be exactly what someone else needs 

I see nothing wrong with having to make a snap judgement and either selling them or allowing them to go when they want to. 

The media were creaming themselves over Quansah at Liverpool last season, this season they're offering him around. 

This is not a "Chelsea" issue alone. 

• Agree 3