Squad Status: 2024/25 Season

Message added by My Blood Is Blue,

2 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Maybe made was the wrong choice , maybe there are leaders in the side who will emerge when the chips are down that aren't immediately apparent now would be more near to what I meant .

I hope so, as it currently stands there doesn’t seem to be any natural leaders in our squad. As you say they may well emerge as the season progresses.

14 hours ago, Ham said:

Yes this was the only point I wanted to discuss. 

I've looked at the Spurs, Liverpool and Villa squads and I don't agree but then it's all about opinions. 

I think we're top 3 or 4.  

Considering that you’ve watched Chelsea for what? 30-40 years I’d have expected you to realise that it’s not always about looking at the names in the squad and deciding we are too 3 or 4 based on the players individual quality. 

A better way of doing it is, as a minimum imo, Ito look at how good your central line is - GK, CBs, CM and S. If you want to take that further, add what top quality you have going forward (creativity, goals, assists). Finally look at any glaring weaknesses, both in the starting XI and the squad. 

Looking at it this way:

1. Central line is incredibly weak at the moment. Goalkeeper is pants, CB pairing young and inexperienced and in one case aren’t even clued in to basic defending (positioning, man-marking). Clear for City’s first goal on Sunday. We don’t have a very good striker, he pops up from time to time but is not a focal point nor very good in open play. He can play off the shoulder and needs 10 chances to score 2 goals. Midfield is the area where we have improved with a Lavia - Caicedo pairing. I’m expecting Maresca to mess that up by being forced to play Enzo. Because with the signing of Felix, there is no way he is among the three best AMs. I’d have him fifth, after Palmer, Nkunku, Felix and Neto. 

2. Top quality. None. We have a few AMs who are very good, even a few CMs who are very good. But consistently top quality? Palmer perhaps. He’s the only one. But he’s done it for one season, the hard work starts now. Can he repeat it? Under a new manager and a new system? 

3. Weaknesses. GK, CB and S. Squad depth is bad apart from AM. We have bodies at CB but none of them fills me with any confidence. We are completely devoid of any leadership qualities. This team isn’t mentally strong or resilient, very important qualities to be successful in this league. 

Taking all of this into account, 6th is the absolute best I can see us finishing. Of course the window isn’t closed yet, so there’s time to rectify these glaring weaknesses we have. 

Now make the same analysis for the teams around us. If you still think we are top four then so be it. I certainly don’t. 

2 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

When do you expect them to stop spending? And where are the sales?

Your guess is as good as mine! I didn’t expect Neto and I certainly didn’t expect Felix. But it seems we may be open for a new striker… Time will tell! 

Club will have to be busy over the next week! Lots of outgoings left to sort out. 

4 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

When do you expect them to stop spending? And where are the sales?

I reckon there is a striker incoming, but nobody else for the first team. Obviously there will be several outgoings. They will be looking to sell Kepa, Lukaku, Sterling, Chilwell, Chalobah and perhaps a few others. Still more will go on loan, but the truth is they may struggle to offload everyone they deem surplus to requirements.

• Agree 1

One thing I picked up from the presser was that Maresca was talking about how he only works with 21 players now. Presumably he is talking about outfield players... 

But looking at the prospective squad right now I see 22 outfield players. Meaning we are one man too many from what he has mentioned. 

RB (2): James, Gusto

LB (2): Cucurella, Veiga

CB (5): Colwill, Fofana, Badiashile, Disasi, Tosin

CM (5): Caicedo, Lavia, Enzo, Dewsbury-Hall, Chukwuemeka

AM ( 6): Nkunku, Palmer, Neto, Felix, Mudryk, Madueke

S (2): Jackson, Guiu

Or is it simply a case of Maresca not counting Felix yet and this is the outfield squad we can expect? He also mentioned that Felix can play multiple positions (AM, Winger and #9) - does this mean that we will have Jackson, Nkunku, Felix and Guiu as out striekr options? 

6 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

One thing I picked up from the presser was that Maresca was talking about how he only works with 21 players now. Presumably he is talking about outfield players... 

But looking at the prospective squad right now I see 22 outfield players. Meaning we are one man too many from what he has mentioned. 

Or is it simply a case of Maresca not counting Felix yet and this is the outfield squad we can expect? He also mentioned that Felix can play multiple positions (AM, Winger and #9) - does this mean that we will have Jackson, Nkunku, Felix and Guiu as out striekr options? 

He said he was working with 20 players one day and 21 the next. 

Presumably the missing player was RJ.

The additional player would be Felix. 

Keepers train with another group of coaches. 

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Anyone know what the status of Chukwuemeka is? From what I can gather he isn't banished from the 1st team but is also probably available for a move elsewhere if the right offer comes in. 

I'm wondering if we get some good offers come in for example Madueke, Disasi, Mudryk, whether we might then want to reintegrate some players from training separately and that could be quite challenging. Or if we sold Cucurella for 110m tomorrow and then didn't really have the option of bringing Chilly back in, then have to go back to the market for in inferior player

1 minute ago, Lump Of Celery said:

Anyone know what the status of Chukwuemeka is? From what I can gather he isn't banished from the 1st team but is also probably available for a move elsewhere if the right offer comes in. 

I'm wondering if we get some good offers come in for example Madueke, Disasi, Mudryk, whether we might then want to reintegrate some players from training separately and that could be quite challenging. Or if we sold Cucurella for 110m tomorrow and then didn't really have the option of bringing Chilly back in, then have to go back to the market for in inferior player

I'm praying that the heat has been taken off Chuk.  I'm so excited to see what he becomes when he's fully recovered from his injury.  The problem will be getting picked. He's a versatile player so hopefully he gets to show us what he can do. 

Classy player. 

• Agree 1

24 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

When I have a spare ten minutes, I will have a look at the average age of that outfield squad........about 23?

10 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

When I have a spare ten minutes, I will have a look at the average age of that outfield squad........about 23?

Wouldn't be surprised if it was 22. 

33 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

GK: Sanchez (27), Jorgensen (23), Bettinelli (33)

RB: James (25), Gusto (22)

LB: Cucurella (26), Veiga (20)

CB: Colwill (22), Fofana (24), Badiashile (24), Disasi (27), Tosin (27)

CM: Caicedo (23), Lavia (21), Enzo (24), Dewsbury-Hall (26), Chukwuemeka (21)

AM: Nkunku (27), Palmer (23), Neto (25), Felix (25), Mudryk (24), Madueke (23)

S: Jackson (23), Guiu (19)

Age they are turning within the season in brackets. 

Average age for the prospective squad, without Acheampong and George but including the three GKs is 24.16. 

EDIT: Outfield players only, minus Acheampong and George is 23.7. 

Edited by Sleeping Dave

9 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

GK: Sanchez (27), Jorgensen (23), Bettinelli (33)

RB: James (25), Gusto (22)

LB: Cucurella (26), Veiga (20)

CB: Colwill (22), Fofana (24), Badiashile (24), Disasi (27), Tosin (27)

CM: Caicedo (23), Lavia (21), Enzo (24), Dewsbury-Hall (26), Chukwuemeka (21)

AM: Nkunku (27), Palmer (23), Neto (25), Felix (25), Mudryk (24), Madueke (23)

S: Jackson (23), Guiu (19)

Age they are turning within the season in brackets. 

Average age for the prospective squad, without Acheampong and George but including the three GKs is 24.16. 

EDIT: Outfield players only, minus Acheampong and George is 23.7. 

I am a nerd. I have taken the exact DOBs of the outfield players only. Current average, ignoring Acheampong and George is 23 years and 5 months. 

• Haha 1

So, unless I have missed something the following players are still to have their futures sorted...

Loans (12): Petrovic, Bergström, Samuels-Smith, Tauriainen, Casadei, Matos, Castledine, Kellyman, Vale, Gabriel, Fofana, Washington

Sell (6): Arrizabalaga, Chalobah, Chilwell, Sterling, Anjorin, Lukaku

18 players to sort out in 8 days. 

5 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

I am a nerd. I have taken the exact DOBs of the outfield players only. Current average, ignoring Acheampong and George is 23 years and 5 months. 

It's very young for sure. Playing devils advocate, there will be another 3-4 years before this squad reaches it's potential. 

EDIT: I know that's a simplified view, the average age of our best starting XI would be 24. Arguably still a few years before they are reaching their peak. 

Sanchez (27)

James (25)

Fofana (24)

Colwill (22)

Cucurella (26)

Caicedo (23)

Lavia (21)

Palmer (23)

Nkunku (27)

Felix (25)

Jackson (23)

Edited by Sleeping Dave

3 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

So, unless I have missed something the following players are still to have their futures sorted...

Loans (12): Petrovic, Bergström, Samuels-Smith, Tauriainen, Casadei, Matos, Castledine, Kellyman, Vale, Gabriel, Fofana, Washington

there is talk Kellyman plays u21s and stays here. 

The rest probably need sorting. 

Basically 2 out per day!

35 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

I think Samuels-Smith, Tauriainen and Kellyman will be with the U21s for at least the first half of the season.

Casadei seems to be training with the first team at the moment.

For Bergström, Anjorin, Vale and Sturge (not on your list) a sale is likelier as they are out of contract at the end of the season.

Broja is the other player not listed, although hopefully his deal is sorted soon.

2 hours ago, chiswickblue said:

I think Samuels-Smith, Tauriainen and Kellyman will be with the U21s for at least the first half of the season.

Casadei seems to be training with the first team at the moment.

For Bergström, Anjorin, Vale and Sturge (not on your list) a sale is likelier as they are out of contract at the end of the season.

Broja is the other player not listed, although hopefully his deal is sorted soon.

Thanks! I was under the impression that Broja to Ipswich was a done deal and communicated by them? 

So right now, the first team list on the official Chelsea website states;

GK: Sanchez, Jorgensen, Bettinelli, Bergström

RB: James, Gusto

LB: Cucurella, Chilwell, Veiga

CB: Disasi, Colwill, Fofana, Badiashile, Adarabioyo

CM: Fernandez, Caicedo, Lavia, Dewsbury-Hall, Chukwuemeka, Casadei, Kellyman

AM: Nero, Mudryk, Madueke, Felix, Palmer, Gabriel, Sancho

S: Jackson, Nkunku, Guiu

Read that Sancho will wear #19, so the only player who doesn’t have a squad number is Gabriel. Chilwell training apart, but still retains his number and place in the squad on the website (at least for now). 

No loans for Washington, Matos, Ishe-Samuels, Sturge, Vale, Tauriainen, Acheampong, George, Vale who are all listed in the U21s. Which Kellyman also is… 

31 players listed in the first team squad… Potter vibes again. Even though realistically 5 of them aren’t really part of the squad (Bergström, Chilwell, Casadei, Kellyman, Gabriel). 

Edit: DD Fofana missing completely from any squad list, hasn’t been sold or loaned out (yet). 

Edited by Sleeping Dave
  • Like 1