Official: Enzo MARESCA announced as new Chelsea Head Coach

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, ROTG said:

Could be just discussing the never ending roadworks and delays on the A3 / M25 Wisley interchange 😀

One scenario I face with every home game. Still, only a year to go!!!

There is a sneaky little move that can reduce the pain if you’re Northbound. Happy to share via PM if it’s of use.

Edited by east lower

4 minutes ago, east lower said:

One scenario I face with every home game. Still, only a year to go!!!

Know what you mean, I get caught in it 2-3 days a week when in Blighty.

1 hour ago, martin1905 said:

https://www.facebook.com/share/r/sSyz69arpHemGmq4/

Not sure this will work for everyone, hope it does.

If nothing else we finally have a coach that will drill these players and hopefully implement a system and style of play. It's all I've wanted since we got rid of Tuchel and decimated the squad, replacing them with young, inexperienced players.

I like the look of this session. A plan! Some passion! Also the continuation of the empathy with the players.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

Of course you did. And I really, absolutely do mean this politely and respectfully but I think you need to own your opinions and their contexts. 🩷✌️💀👀💯

Maybe you can remind me when in the last two and a half decades, the club hired a coach with a CV like Maresca’s?

Or another way, do you believe Maresca would have been considered under the previous regime?

look a when the club hired the nobody coach with months he was like a rabbit in the headlights at press conferences and coaching, as the step up was far to much for him, and he was deemed a solid mid table PL coach. Now the club hires from the championship. He’s a desperate last throw of the dice by Winstanley & Stewart to justify their positions and have greater influence over the squad. 

Will be a great day when you can tell me to go and buy humble pie in the Maresca thread. 

Over and out. 

2 hours ago, ROTG said:

Maybe you can remind me when in the last two and a half decades, the club hired a coach with a CV like Maresca’s?

Or another way, do you believe Maresca would have been considered under the previous regime?

look a when the club hired the nobody coach with months he was like a rabbit in the headlights at press conferences and coaching, as the step up was far to much for him, and he was deemed a solid mid table PL coach. Now the club hires from the championship. He’s a desperate last throw of the dice by Winstanley & Stewart to justify their positions and have greater influence over the squad. 

Will be a great day when you can tell me to go and buy humble pie in the Maresca thread. 

Over and out. 

You just proved my point 🤣🤣🤣 You ARE writing him off 👀💥✌️💀

2 hours ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

You just proved my point 🤣🤣🤣 You ARE writing him off 👀💥✌️💀

So tell what makes you think a 44 game championship coach can be transformed in a top 4 PL coach overnight or are you willing to have another couple of seasons of mid table mediocrity, whilst the process continues?

Maybe he is already a top 4 PL coach. I won't know until I have seen him in charge for ten or fifteen games.

Edited by Sciatika
  • Agree 1

57 minutes ago, ROTG said:

So tell what makes you think a 44 game championship coach can be transformed in a top 4 PL coach overnight or are you willing to have another couple of seasons of mid table mediocrity, whilst the process continues?

Worked out OK for Pep Guardiola, who had even less managerial experience .

@ROTG do to think maybe that the club feel it's more about the style and ideas of a manager rather than the experience? It's more about being the right fit for this squad rather than what they have done previous?

The model we are using is pretty clear, sign players by committee and then hire a coach to coach them into something.

A manager being bought in to coach a particular group of players is something very new to us as a club, it's the polar opposite of what we are used to which was to get 'the best' available manager. Whilst being very successful during that time it's a breath of fresh air to have a proper, long term plan at the club and have a proper structure from top to bottom.

It may well be that Maresca is literally the perfect manager for the group of dolly mixtures that we have assembled. A lot of this will be based on data and analysis. There are countless managers that are 'better' than Maresca but doesn't mean they are better for the job.

There is a clear plan in place, we have gone down a certain path and are following it. I think we can debate the rights and wrongs of it all day but the only thing we can do is give it time now. 

I believe any manager with a clear philosophy and a good coaching team will do very well with the right set of players, match the players to the manager and it will be successful.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, ROTG said:

Again - not my point. Your MO:

- Writes off Maresca before a ball is kicked.

-  Gets called out on it. Denies doing it. 

- Continues to write Maresca off. 

- Gets called out on it. Denies doing it.

- And on and on we go back to the beginning.

With this much smoke and mirrors, I can see why you’re a member of the clergy…

🤣🤣🤣💯👀

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

Again - not my point. Your MO:

- Writes off Maresca before a ball is kicked.

-  Gets called out on it. Denies doing it. 

- Continues to write Maresca off. 

- Gets called out on it. Denies doing it.

- And on and on we go back to the beginning.

With this much smoke and mirrors, I can see why you’re a member of the clergy…

🤣🤣🤣💯👀

ROTG is actually very coy about his precise religious position. He has not stated what his role is, which faith group he represents, or what he actually does. There are lots of oblique remarks about flocks and parishes, but nothing explicit, so we can only judge him on his world view evidenced in his posting on this forum. As such I think it does not reflect well on him in terms of Christian values.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, RDCW said:

ROTG is actually very coy about his precise religious position. He has not stated what his role is, which faith group he represents, or what he actually does. There are lots of oblique remarks about flocks and parishes, but nothing explicit, so we can only judge him on his world view evidenced in his posting on this forum. As such I think it does not reflect well on him in terms of Christian values.

I doff my cap sir.

Obviously the bloodhound in you has been on my scent for a while.  

I do not mention my religion, which on a public forum is the most sensible option and abides with the rules on this forum. 

if you want to discuss my beliefs and values happy to take this offline as you have cast the first stone. 

7 hours ago, martin1905 said:

@ROTG do to think maybe that the club feel it's more about the style and ideas of a manager rather than the experience? It's more about being the right fit for this squad rather than what they have done previous?

The model we are using is pretty clear, sign players by committee and then hire a coach to coach them into something.

A manager being bought in to coach a particular group of players is something very new to us as a club, it's the polar opposite of what we are used to which was to get 'the best' available manager. Whilst being very successful during that time it's a breath of fresh air to have a proper, long term plan at the club and have a proper structure from top to bottom.

It may well be that Maresca is literally the perfect manager for the group of dolly mixtures that we have assembled. A lot of this will be based on data and analysis. There are countless managers that are 'better' than Maresca but doesn't mean they are better for the job.

There is a clear plan in place, we have gone down a certain path and are following it. I think we can debate the rights and wrongs of it all day but the only thing we can do is give it time now. 

I believe any manager with a clear philosophy and a good coaching team will do very well with the right set of players, match the players to the manager and it will be successful.

Thanks for the detailed response and the theory’s about the new model under this ownership is greatly appreciated.

My only comment would be as proven by the clubs history during the RA era you hire a the best coach to  get the best out of a team, along with bringing in one or two players to support/ implement the new coaches style of play or develop what was available. TT being a classic example after Frank, or TFSW after RDM.

Now it’s the case of replacing Frank with Scott Parker and telling all everything is rose in the garden.

Let’s chat again after 10 PL games.

ROTG 

34 minutes ago, Sciatika said:

I am hoping he does something really radical with the tactics if only because it might get me interested again. (Sorry to be such a downer).

Agree but just sensible tactics to fit the squad would be a good start!

• Agree 1

Well, if the translation is accurate - His namesake and fellow Argentian has given the new boss a pretty awkward situation to deal with.

IF true an absolutely f*****g stupid and crass thing to sing and worse still to post for the world to see and hear. 

I did wonder if the decision to not permit him to play in the Olympic’s might have some kickback, might be ramping up.

Going to be fun at training though!

39 minutes ago, east lower said:

Well, if the translation is accurate - His namesake and fellow Argentian has given the new boss a pretty awkward situation to deal with.

IF true an absolutely f*****g stupid and crass thing to sing and worse still to post for the world to see and hear. 

I did wonder if the decision to not permit him to play in the Olympic’s might have some kickback, might be ramping up.

What's he singing?

5 minutes ago, east lower said:

Allegedly something about France’s black players coming from Africa (possibly Angola)

Difficult to make any sense of this.  Firstly the chant is about playing IN France, not FOR France, so it must be about another (no doubt South American) nation.  Angola was a former Portuguese colony, not French, and the only non-Spanish speaking country in South America is Portuguese speaking Brazil.

I'm guessing - and I may be wrong - that given the rivalry between Argentina and Brazil, that it's  a song about Brazil?

10 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

Difficult to make any sense of this.  Firstly the chant is about playing IN France, not FOR France, so it must be about another (no doubt South American) nation.  Angola was a former Portuguese colony, not French, and the only non-Spanish speaking country in South America is Portuguese speaking Brazil.

I'm guessing - and I may be wrong - that given the rivalry between Argentina and Brazil, that it's  a song about Brazil?

It’s allegedly been sung at the World Cup previously by them and yes Angola was a Portuguese colony, which did sound odd - but the reference’s have a certain underlying tone, that both the Argentinians and Uraguayan’s have some history for.

Let’s say that Nkunku, Badiashile, Fofana, Disasi and big Les might not be that enamoured.

Edit: More sources now reporting it and there’s various references to the nature of songs sung at the WC and after the Copa America win

Edited by east lower

9 hours ago, east lower said:

Slow not just physically but mentally too it seems. I'd say get rid of this clown but anybody that could afford him can do better. So we're stuck with him for the next 8 years.