Official: Enzo MARESCA announced as new Chelsea Head Coach

Are we really expecting a revolution in two weeks with key players missing? 

Maresca hasn't clapped eyes on Jackson, Palmer, Caicedo and Enzo yet. 

It's going to be a tough few weeks ahead whilst Maresca gets his ideas accross.

City have lost their first two games, Villa lost today, both further along the road than us. 

Pochettino looked great pre season and deplorable for the next ten weeks. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

City have lost their first two games, Villa lost today, both further along the road than us. 

Not just missing players but missing potential first team starters.  Caicedo, Enzo, Gallagher, Palmer, Disasi, Cucurella and KDH.  

Can't help thinking it's a huge mistake to not drag Enzo and co to the US for the remainder of the tour.  

We might be undercooked for the first couple of games. 

Edited by Ham
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Ham said:

Not just missing players but missing potential first team starters.  Caicedo, Enzo, Gallagher, Palmer, Disasi and KDH.  

Can't help thinking it's a huge mistake to not drag Enzo and co to the US for the remainder of the tour.  

We might be undercooked for the first couple of games. 

I think we're initially in for a torrid time but once the first bump is over we'll be a half decent side. 

Not withstanding the terrible keeper and overrated CB's. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I think we're initially in for a torrid time but once the first bump is over we'll be a half decent side. 

Not withstanding the terrible keeper and overrated CB's. 

In fairness to the keeper, he was left exposed time and time again for their goals. Made some great saves.  

Awful lot of judgement being made after two pre season games with half our first team missing.

Even without taking into account that this will take time, especially when you consider two whole seasons now, very little tactical work has been done on the training ground, I do wonder how different we would look just with Cucurella,  Gallagher, Enzo, Caicedo, Palmer and Jackson. 6 of our best players, all missing.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, Ham said:

Enzo joining the team tomorrow

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Ham said:

In fairness to the keeper, he was left exposed time and time again for their goals. Made some great saves.  

He did indeed Ham but unfortunately a striker can miss a penalty, half a dozen basically open goals and still win the game with one or two great strikes and winning goals,,,not so for a keeper..a half a dozen worldie, great or very good saves are completely negated by one or two howler and games lost. The truly great and very good keepers kept/keep their howler errors to a minimum..they all make them but the less reliable keepers are a disaster waiting to happen.

Compare the Celtic keeper's game to Sanchez..a veteran, decent reliable keeper on his game...had he not been, especially early on the score would have been a lot different, not necessarily in Chelsea's favour at the end but different.

Edited by chara
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, martin1905 said:

Awful lot of judgement being made after two pre season games with half our first team missing.

Even without taking into account that this will take time, especially when you consider two whole seasons now, very little tactical work has been done on the training ground, I do wonder how different we would look just with Cucurella,  Gallagher, Enzo, Caicedo, Palmer and Jackson. 6 of our best players, all missing.

I’m not sure Gallagher will be playing for us this season. 

3 hours ago, chara said:

Compare the Celtic keeper's game to Sanchez..a veteran, decent reliable keeper on his game...had he not been, especially early on the score would have been a lot different, not necessarily in Chelsea's favour at the end but different.

I didn't even know Schmeichel played for Celtic!!

Whats your opinion of him? I have always rated him and suprised he never went to a big club but, as always,  interested to hear your views on him.

2 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

I didn't even know Schmeichel played for Celtic!!

Whats your opinion of him? I have always rated him and suprised he never went to a big club but, as always,  interested to hear your views on him.

I always liked him,,good decent keeper and solid professional. Not quite as good as his Dadof course,  but then not many are!...carried that expectation well, is a great shot stopper and as shown yesterday able to make stops in anyway necessary(you make your own luck).

Just my view,,,,loyal Club man.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, chara said:

I always liked him,,good decent keeper and solid professional. Not quite as good as his Dadof course,  but then not many are!...carried that expectation well, is a great shot stopper and as shown yesterday able to make stops in anyway necessary(you make your own luck).

Just my view,,,,loyal Club man.

Thanks, as always, for taking the time to respond to my GKing queries. 

With the severe lack of quality GK's around at the moment how would a prime Kasper Schmeichel compare? How high would you put him in a top 10, or would he even be in there?

Outside of the snake there's not a single GK I particularly rate.

22 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

Thanks, as always, for taking the time to respond to my GKing queries. 

With the severe lack of quality GK's around at the moment how would a prime Kasper Schmeichel compare? How high would you put him in a top 10, or would he even be in there?

Outside of the snake there's not a single GK I particularly rate.

Hmm that's a more difficult question than it may seem.

I don't see enough of non EPL keepers to make a fair judgement but I was relieved that the Manure guy didn't come to Chelsea,,,just didn't take to him FWIW.

Watching other International keepers in the Euros for example can give a false impression ,,, Our Mendy suddenly became World Class and was amazing for a while but fizzled out just as quickly.

A prime Kasper,, ,as I have written many times as far as Chelsea keepers go for me its PC, The Cat and Eddie N..very honourable mention for Carlo C,,,I would include the snake but it would offend me!

With that in mind,,,I think just below Carlo but above the majority of keepers in the EPL at the moment..not head and shoulders but reliable long term and steady,(See Mendy reference) played at a high level for a long time. As always the EPL keepers are very good but "average" in a top setting,,again my opinion only,,not the definitive analysis..all capable of outstanding displays but not as consistent as the real top keepers.

Hope answers at least some of your questions,,bear in mind we are judging at the top of the game. No long term Chelsea ;keeper has emerged from the juniors/academy since Bonetti..says a lot....Always thought Steve Francis would make it. Whilst he went on to a good career lower down the Leagues he was ultimately one of so many not able to make the upgrade.

Edison seems out of favour but I always loved his total bravery commitment....Allison still seems to be considered #1 but the intangible difference it can make to a keeper's "image" playing behind top defenders can't be ignored.

After thought..saw Yashin live..and Borota....I'll leave that image in your mind!

8 hours ago, martin1905 said:

the biggest flaw of this tactical genius's is at the back.

Even after 3 weeks coaching of the defenders who will be part of the starting 11, both wrexham and celtic exposing the tactical genius's high line within 10 minutes of the game.

8 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

Wow the key players missing is back on the table,

This tactical Genius has around 500m worth of talent with him and been coaching them for 3 weeks,

Revolution No, beating or competing with teams like wrexham and celtic YES

And you called Poch a coward and poor coach?

11 hours ago, martin1905 said:

My judgement isn't of the team or coach. It's of the owners. And that is far from premature. The circumstances for a poor start are there, with little blame on the coach, and there's plenty of evidence on how the owners manage that. A fourth permanent coach in two years. Maresca is in for a hard ride, whether he deserves it or not.

4 hours ago, ROTG said:

the biggest flaw of this tactical genius's is at the back.

Even after 3 weeks coaching of the defenders who will be part of the starting 11, both wrexham and celtic exposing the tactical genius's high line within 10 minutes of the game.

Even after 3 weeks. With 6 of our first 11 not available. In pre season.

Even after 3 weeks. The more I say it the more bizarre it sounds.

3 weeks.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

Even after 3 weeks. With 6 of our first 11 not available. In pre season.

Even after 3 weeks. The more I say it the more bizarre it sounds.

3 weeks.

What's bizarre about a back line going backwards after 3 weeks of coaching?

He had a PL team in the championship and still managed to concede +40 goals. 

4 hours ago, ROTG said:

This tactical Genius has around 500m worth of talent with him and been coaching them for 3 weeks,

Three weeks? Three whole weeks? Crikey! Why aren't we Champions yet? Maresca out! 

City lost to Celtic , are we to pretend Pep is up for the chop?

I don't believe I've ever called Poch a coach . 

Edited by Mark Kelly

19 minutes ago, ROTG said:

What's bizarre about a back line going backwards after 3 weeks of coaching?

He had a PL team in the championship and still managed to concede +40 goals. 

Gone backwards, how so?

19 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Three weeks? Three whole weeks? Crikey! Why aren't we Champions yet? Maresca out! 

I'm more annoyed we haven't won the champions league yet. 

In fact, annoyed is the wrong word. I'm fuming. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, ROTG said:

You wrote Maresca off before a ball was kicked in pre-season, then laughably tried to deny doing so. I think you’re being very unfair. And why you seem to think Poch was so wonderful in the face of conclusive evidence is a mystery. 👀💀😬🙈

1 hour ago, thevelourfog said:

My judgement isn't of the team or coach. It's of the owners. And that is far from premature. The circumstances for a poor start are there, with little blame on the coach, and there's plenty of evidence on how the owners manage that. A fourth permanent coach in two years. Maresca is in for a hard ride, whether he deserves it or not.

And I get that and respect your opinion, you've been very consistent with your views on the owners and to be fair wasn't aiming what I said at you as I very much doubt you are judging anything on two pre season results, unlike some.

We do have to start well. After City we have 6 very favourable games before Liverpool,  Newcastle,  United, Arsenal. We quite simply have to get as many points as possible from those 6 games or we, more so Maresca, will be in trouble. 

I said the day we hired Maresca I won't hold anything against him if it all goes wrong. He may end up being completely out of his depth and if that's the case it's the owners who are at fault for appointing him. 

We've certainly not made it easy for him, when a good start is so imperative.  After two major international tournaments in the same summer to travel to the US on this joke of a tour is scandalous. We should have spent the summer at Cobham to give him the best chance of implementing his ideas before the start of the season.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

39 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Poch in his first 3 weeks, managed to implement a style and get results within 3 weeks 

He also did not have Palmer, Casadio , Lavia, Dasasi to name a few 

Happy to take a wager on whether the tactical genius can beat last season PL total 

28 minutes ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

You wrote Maresca off before a ball was kicked in pre-season, then laughably tried to deny doing so. I think you’re being very unfair.

Did you see the performances against wrexham & celtic?

1 minute ago, ROTG said:

Poch in his first 3 weeks, managed to implement a style and get results within 3 weeks 

The style of losing . 

We won every game in pre-season then the "coach" lost one player , shit the bed and adapted the coaching of cowardice , preferring the track to the tactics board .

Vibes and running .

A fraud . 

• Agree 2