Official: Enzo MARESCA announced as new Chelsea Head Coach

37 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

Gone backwards, how so?

one would have though conceding 6 goals in two games with a defensive unit that will more than likely be in the starting 11 when the PL starts, is a concern

Edited by ROTG

3 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

The style of losing . 

We won every game in pre-season then the "coach" lost one player , shit the bed and adapted the coaching of cowardice , preferring the track to the tactics board .

Vibes and running .

A fraud . 

2024 didn't the coward coach have the 3rd or 4th best points tally in the PL?

2 minutes ago, ROTG said:

one would have though conceding 6 goals in two games with a defensive unit that will more than likely be in the starting 11 when the PL starts, is a concern

So you are judging the new manager after our first two pre season games?

We've also just signed a GK, who may well be forst choice.

We haven't lined up with Fofana and Colwill at CB, who I'd expect to start the first league game. 

We haven't had our first or second choice left back start a game.

Our entire midfield is not there.

Our two best attackers aren't there.

Believe it or not, and this may blow your mind but the midfield will make a big difference to the defence. As will having Palmer and Jackson not just because they are our two best attackers but they are also very adapt at pressing.

I know your purposely antagonist, we all do, but trying to prove your point, in pre season, and citing having 3 weeks as a reason to be right, when we have half a first team is just silly.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

8 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

So you are judging the new manager after our first two pre season games?

We've also just signed a GK, who may well be forst choice.

We haven't lined up with Fofana and Colwill at CB, who I'd expect to start the first league game. 

We haven't had our first or second choice left back start a game.

Our entire midfield is not there.

Our two best attackers aren't there.

Believe it or not, and this may blow your mind but the midfield will make a big difference to the defence. As will having Palmer and Jackson not just because they are our two best attackers but they are also very adapt at pressing.

I know your purposely antagonist, we all do, but trying to prove your point, in pre season, and citing having 3 weeks as a reason to be right, when we have half a first team is just silly.

who in the midfield is going to make the difference the rasict?

you can press as much as you want, however the opposition giving it good old hump up the field because of playing a high back line is something which Ange found out very quickly and helped NJ get a hatrick at the spuds. 

6 hours ago, ROTG said:

Wow the key players missing is back on the table,

This tactical Genius has around 500m worth of talent with him and been coaching them for 3 weeks,

Revolution No, beating or competing with teams like wrexham and celtic YES

And you called Poch a coward and poor coach?

It's never been off the table. 

Cucurella, Enzo, Caicedo, Palmer, Jackson, Disasi and possibly KDH.  

All whilst playing against teams who were much further forward in terms of fitness and coaching. 

I know you've gone with this position for attention, and it's working, but still important to point out how ridiculous it is. 

10 minutes ago, ROTG said:

who in the midfield is going to make the difference the rasict?

You genuinely don't think Enzo, Caicedo and Gallagher will make any difference ?

10 minutes ago, ROTG said:

you can press as much as you want, however the opposition giving it good old hump up the field because of playing a high back line is something which Ange found out very quickly and helped NJ get a hatrick at the spuds. 

Funnily enough, it's something that takes a little bit of time, and coaching to get right, certainly more than 3 weeks, it took Pep 12 months.

Even if Ange got found out, his tactics, with a far inferior squad to ours, still outperformed your mates and his.

It's a funny old game.

1 hour ago, martin1905 said:

We do have to start well. After City we have 6 very favourable games before Liverpool,  Newcastle,  United, Arsenal. We quite simply have to get as many points as possible from those 6 games or we, more so Maresca, will be in trouble. 

I said the day we hired Maresca I won't hold anything against him if it all goes wrong. He may end up being completely out of his depth and if that's the case it's the owners who are at fault for appointing him. 

Yes, in a bizarre kind of way that on-paper favourable start could be a problem for Maresca. City on the opening day is essentially a free hit (in terms of long-term assessment, obviously not for supporters) but we then do have a lot of games that we have to win, even if we aren't win-ready. I can easily see the knives coming out for him.

And agreed on an animosity towards him. That the job was there to take is nothing to do with him, and from his POV you have to take this kind of role when it presents itself.

He strikes me as someone who genuinely can coach out on a training pitch. Hopefully it works out for him.

What I find perplexing is the formations we have adopted in the two games. I hope to god it's not the one we intend to play this year as James is clearly wasted in midfield.

Secondly, sort of related to the first, James is going to miss the first three games. Would it not be sensible to start the games with his intended replacement and bring him on in the second half?

Finally, as most of the "first" team is still not around should we not be mixing the starting XIs around a bit rather than starting the same players every game?

Yes it's only pre-season and Celtic have their first league game next week so should be more advanced but I'll be honest, I'm yet to see the magical coaching techniques we were promised bear any fruit.

3 hours ago, ROTG said:

What's bizarre about a back line going backwards after 3 weeks of coaching?

He had a PL team in the championship and still managed to concede +40 goals. 

Here's a goal Chelsea scored against Maresca's Leicester:

That looks an awful lot like the defending we saw on Saturday. Wide open, huge gaps between defence and midfield and no cover at the back post because the full back is in midfield tasked with playing 4 roles. 

9 minutes ago, Bison said:

Here's a goal Chelsea scored against Maresca's Leicester:

That looks an awful lot like the defending we saw on Saturday. Wide open, huge gaps between defence and midfield and no cover at the back post because the full back is in midfield tasked with playing 4 roles. 

Almost as if they were a weaker team, then got hit on the break via one really good outlet pass that opened the entire field up for Jackson.

Pretty common place goal you see conceded most weeks.

10 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

... by the teams we aspire to compete with? 

We have to be a lot better than "pretty common". Sometimes the response to the criticism is much more damning than the criticism was.

Just now, thevelourfog said:

... by the teams we aspire to compete with? 

We have to be a lot better than "pretty common". Sometimes the response to the criticism is much more damning than the criticism was.

By all teams. 

I've seen Man City get done line this, albeit rarely. Liverpool. Arsenal. Juventus. Madrid. And the list goes on. 

IF this was to happen to us weekly, then yeah it would obviously be a huge problem that needs fixing. But using it as an example to try and create a narrative of our present situation is a bit of a stretch.

7 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

By all teams. 

I've seen Man City get done line this, albeit rarely. Liverpool. Arsenal. Juventus. Madrid. And the list goes on. 

IF this was to happen to us weekly, then yeah it would obviously be a huge problem that needs fixing. But using it as an example to try and create a narrative of our present situation is a bit of a stretch.

Every team concedes goals, and I'd agree with a general point that this absolute inevitably is seized on in football discussions to unreasonably criticise players, managers and teams. Here, but also just generally. We will all be guilty of it.

I guess it depends on what we mean by "pretty common". If 90% of the goals we concede look like the above example but we only concede 30 across the league season and get the results for 70+ points, I won't mind too much. If we give up goals across the board so easily that only, idk, half look like that just by virtue of there being so many ... Much more bothered. 

My worry about Maresca's football is that I think we are going to give up a lot of goals and tight results on the same errors. No different to Pochettino or Potter in that sense and suggestive of a broader problem, but still also asks the question of "why bother changing coach?".

We'll see, hope to be worried about nothing.

3 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Every team concedes goals, and I'd agree with a general point that this absolute inevitably is seized on in football discussions to unreasonably criticise players, managers and teams. Here, but also just generally. We will all be guilty of it.

I guess it depends on what we mean by "pretty common". If 90% of the goals we concede look like the above example but we only concede 30 across the league season and get the results for 70+ points, I won't mind too much. If we give up goals across the board so easily that only, idk, half look like that just by virtue of there being so many ... Much more bothered. 

My worry about Maresca's football is that I think we are going to give up a lot of goals and tight results on the same errors. No different to Pochettino or Potter in that sense and suggestive of a broader problem, but still also asks the question of "why bother changing coach?".

We'll see, hope to be worried about nothing.

I think the sole redeeming factor is that post game Maresca touched on this and said it was expected this early in a new coaching set up , so at least he's owning the problem and looking to negate it in the future. 

2 hours ago, Ham said:

I know you've gone with this position for attention

yeah right on  - So because I think Mascara is a two bob coach, it only for attention??? 

2 hours ago, martin1905 said:

You genuinely don't think Enzo, Caicedo and Gallagher will make any difference ?

If Enzo plays for the club this season, its tell you how low the morale's are of the club and its owners. THE BLOKE IS A RACIST FULL STOP

One hopes you don't agree with him playing for the club this season

2 hours ago, martin1905 said:

Funnily enough, it's something that takes a little bit of time, and coaching to get right, certainly more than 3 weeks, it took Pep 12 months.

Even if Ange got found out, his tactics, with a far inferior squad to ours, still outperformed your mates and his.

It's a funny old game.

Points total 1st 19 PL games Chelsea 25, Spuds 36

Points total last 19 Pl games Chelsea 38, Spuds 30

Yep - It really is a funny old game 

54 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

Almost as if they were a weaker team, then got hit on the break via one really good outlet pass that opened the entire field up for Jackson.

We could and should have won that game by 7+ if I recall correctly. Nearly 30 shots, a missed penalty and several squandered good opportunities. 

Leicester were easily one of the worst teams we played last season.

15 minutes ago, ROTG said:

yeah right on  - So because I think Mascara is a two bob coach, it only for attention??? 

I'd imagine changing your avatar to Pochettino the moment he was sacked proved that mate . 

2 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

I think the sole redeeming factor is that post game Maresca touched on this and said it was expected this early in a new coaching set up , so at least he's owning the problem and looking to negate it in the future. 

I don't buy the "we played like a bunch of clueless idiots because of the new coaching system" excuse. They are professional footballers aren't they? Surely they have a more advanced sense of how to play the game at its basic level than us for example? Or am I according them more ability than they are due?

18 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

I don't buy the "we played like a bunch of clueless idiots because of the new coaching system" excuse. They are professional footballers aren't they? Surely they have a more advanced sense of how to play the game at its basic level than us for example? Or am I according them more ability than they are due?

No , I think what he said was along the lines of going forward and in possession we have grasped what we need to do but out of possession and defending we need to work on it as it's clearly not working so far . 

Measured and honest , I thought , much more measured than I would have been with a keeper flapping on the deck like a landed fish and a Centre half studiously ignoring the cries of " Wes , Wes , Wes Wes Wes" before they scored whilst he was oblivious to the danger that the keeper desperately tried to alert him too. 

16 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

I'd imagine changing your avatar to Pochettino the moment he was sacked proved that mate . 

Umm - i uploaded it about a month ago, when you were on one of your holy rants about poch being a coward and what a sh1t coach he was and how the new man going to do x, y & z. Happy to change it for a Lukaku avatar "if it will fit" 😀

Lets move on - Club America next

Edited by ROTG

14 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Of course they were. They were in the Championship.

Sheffield Utd (who picked up 16 points in the Prem) gave us two harder games last season.

Says a lot about Maresca that he just rolled his players out there with his copy and paste tactics and didn't adjust his game plan to give his team a chance.