Official: Enzo MARESCA announced as new Chelsea Head Coach

It's hard for me to look at the last two years and see anything other than a sacking by March, here. I very much hope I'm wrong.

I think we've been one of the worst coached, possibly even the outright worst coached, teams in the league for a while now. Very little in the way of patterns of passing or movement. So it will be interesting to see if this "obsession" with coaching is clear (obviously not perfected) from day one, in the same way that Tuchel's first game was the first time in 18 months players bothered to form passing triangles. I think we will get a sense of what Maresca is very quickly.

Just now, McCreadie said:

I always got the sense that Poch's English got better or worse depending how taxing the question was...

I still fondly remember his first season at Spurs where he steadfastly refused to admit he could speak and understand English perfectly . 

25 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I still fondly remember his first season at Spurs where he steadfastly refused to admit he could speak and understand English perfectly . 

He could speak it before Spuds, when he was at Southampton.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

Best of luck Enzo....you're gonna need it to last at Chelsea!

Right, who's taking 'nearest the pin' dates for when he's relieved of his duties?

Good luck and all that - I hope you're the right man.

Turned on Sky Sports news to see the fanfare. 

They have next to no interest as Madrid have announced Mbappe and nothing says English sports news channel than a corrupt Spanish side spending a kings ransom on a big head. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, McCreadie said:

I always got the sense that Poch's English got better or worse depending how taxing the question was...

Italians speaking English is light-years better than Spanish with a bad English vocabulary 😁

13 minutes ago, Floyd25 said:

Why I have read that he wants to stick with Sanchez in goal next season? Has he actually watched him play, or is this complete nonsense? 

I read they're looking to offload Sanchez so it's the usual morons writing what they want to happen rather than what is actually happening. 

Welcome and good luck. 

Feels like another Todd 'finger in the air' decision supported by tweedle dum and tweedle dee (winstanley and stewart)  and what on earth is the point of a chelsea manager getting a 5 year plaus contract (apart from the generous payoff when he is sacked at xmas)

• Like 1

Looking forward to seeing what Maresca can do. 

Was fond of him as a player at Juventus, and if he brings the attitude he held during that period of his career into the club at a coaching level, he'll instil some good traits into this group. 

I expect there to be a bit of a transition period in terms of players adapting to what he demands, so not anticipating us to pull up tress immediately but I can see this appointment being a step in the right direction with respects to ticking the boxes we need. 

Curious to see what we do in the market now to support him.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Out of curiosity I looked up Steve Holland's "resume".... a well respected ex Chelsea man and one often mentioned when discussions lead to new management etc.

Compared to Maresca Steve has a much less impressive career path...not knocking his Chelsea input and like him.... Maresca has an excellent playing record and his below the EPL coaching jobs were of higher calibre and better results than Steve.... doesn't prove anything until the rubber hits the road but our new man is not quite the random choice sometimes portrayed.

Not meant as a discussion of relative merits just looking at perception v reality. Steve has proved his worth at Chelsea

Let's see what Maresca can do.

Feel better than I did when The Poch arrived and certainly far more settled than when Potter lucked in.

Edited by chara
  • Like 2

I dont feel the negativity I did towards the two p’s - Potter and Poch - but then again nor is there the warm feeling of Frank or the thrill of Tommy T - I wait with bated breathe …

It’s going to be interesting to see how it plays out. We know he needs to produce a serious top4 challenge. If we can keep key players fit and make 1-3 genuine quality additions, then we can make top4 .

I see us starting well under him. I think the players will embrace the change once they get on the training field, and I can see a start of something like 18-20pts from our opening 10 games. 
I just think our lack of a killer instinct will prove to be a problem over the season. Possession fatigue without being clinical and scoring the goals we should is my main concern. When it’s fresh and new, I expect we will look good. When it’s embedded and we suffer frustrating results and don’t score the goals we should, I see rocky periods where the players and fans faith in the plan will be shaken. 

We still need three important players through the spine , possibly four including a GK. Lavia and Nkunku are of key importance. If we get close to 30PL games from them both, then no top4 is a massive failure really. Surely no club can have a repeat of the injuries we had last season!

My prediction would be 4th-5th. A positive start and finish, the rocky period coming from Nov - Jan . This is the period where I fear lack of quality chances and lack of clinical nature will cost us points, it’s how much damage it does.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blue Moon said:

I dont feel the negativity I did towards the two p’s - Potter and Poch - but then again nor is there the warm feeling of Frank or the thrill of Tommy T - I wait with bated breathe …

Not the great negativity but also not a great entusiasm.

Problem is we have seen so many come and go we are becoming a bit indifferent. No point for extreme enthusiasm or negativity as it will all change again within a year or so. Sadly, the surprise will be if it doesnt.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

Turned on Sky Sports news to see the fanfare. 

They have next to no interest as Madrid have announced Mbappe and nothing says English sports news channel than a corrupt Spanish side spending a kings ransom on a big head. 

Mbappe was a free agent to be fair.

As for Real Madrid, what a club. They follow up a Champions League win by signing Mbappe whilst we announce a Championship manager on a six year contract.

Standards have never been lower.