Official: Enzo MARESCA announced as new Chelsea Head Coach

17 hours ago, martin1905 said:

So, how about a little healthy deabte as opposed to everyone bickering about the rights and wrongs of the ownership, there's so much actual football knowledge on this place but it's been lost amongst the bickering for some time now so let's see if we can put that to one side and look at our current squad and see how we will get on this season.

I'll start with the defence as I think it's the most interesting. I'd line up with....

James-Fofana-Colwill-Cucurella

.....with Cucurella playing as the inverted FB and James becoming the 3rd CB.

We know one of the full backs will step into midfield, the interesting thing will be which one. There's a very good argument it should be Cucurella, he played that role towards the end of last season, and I said so at the time, as well as anyone I've seen and I'll explain why.

Lots of people seem to think the role of an inverted FB is to become some sort of midfield maestro like Pirlo but it really isn't. There's a reason FB's are FB's and not midfielders.  Look at Trent, he's apparently so good on the ball he actually went to the Euros as a our number 8, literally and he's absolutely pony in midfield. Theres so much more to it that having a good passing range.

The main attributes are more physical and mental. They need to have a very high level of understanding and reading of the game, know when to step up, when to get back, be able to read the danger long before it happens and most importantly have the physical attributes to pretty much play two positions at the same time. The easy bit is stepping up and playing as a 6. He's only really there to keep it simple, recycle possession and allow one of the other CM's to step higher up the pitch in a more advanced role, which is the whole point, it's not about having FB's trying to be Pirlo.

Now, can Reece do it? Personally I'm not sure and feel he would be much better suited to being the one that becomes the 3rd CB. In this role I think he could be a monster. An outrageous ball playing CB with the ability to break out with the ball at his feet. Some will say him not playing as a traditional FB, bombing up and down the wing will negate a lot of his strengths but in the 3rd CB role he can still do it, just not as much. Is it a bit of a waste of his talents? Absolutely but we are not going to play with a traditional FB and he could be so good in this role. So good. I'd certainly rather see him play like this than as the inverted FB.

Now, this is where it gets interesting,  at least in the sense that, and I keep banging on about this, just how versatile a squad we have......

Gusto I think is much better suited to playing as the inverted FB as opposed to the 3rd CB. I think we would all agree with that.  I also think, like Cucurella he could be very, very good at it. In this instance, or if indeed we use Reece there I think the perfect LB would be Colwill. He's more than capable of starting at LB but moving into CB when Gusto, or James, steps up. He's pretty much made for that role. 

When everyone's fit I think we will predominantly see these two set ups....

James-Fofana-Colwill-Cucurella

Which will look like this when we have the ball.....

James-Fofana-Colwill

Caicedo-Cucurella

Or....

Gusto-Disasi-Fofana-Colwill

Which will look like this...

Disasi-Fofana-Colwill

Gusto-Caicedo

I don't necessarily think that even though I assume James and Cucurella will be first choice, if everyone's fit, the second set up is necessarily weaker. It's an option to use when maybe we need a bit more height or physicality at the back.  Again it's about the versatility of our squad and having options, being able to make changes depending on the opposition without massively weakening our starting line up. 

I agree with much of this. I certainly think both James and Cucurella can play that inverted FB role and I also think that when/if Cucurella is unavailable we won’t see Chilwell playing LCB or inverted LB, he will be sold. 

Colwill as the LB/LCB is a good shout. I also think that Badiashile could play there with some adjustment. 

I feel fairly certain our defensive set-up will be;

RB: James, Gusto

CB: Colwill, Disasi, Adarabioyo, Fofana, Badiashile

LB: Cucurella

Hang around: Acheampong

Liating them in roles when we have the ball:

IRB: James, Gusto

RCB: James, Disasi, Adarabioyo, Fofana

CCB: Colwill, Adarabioyo, Badiashile

LCB: Colwill, Badiashile

ILB: Cucurella

I’ve listed them in order of ranking. Meaning the one thing we disagree on is whether Fofana will be first choice Cb or not. Personally I’d have him behind both Disasi and Adarabioyo. 

Just watched the video of Marescas presser,,,don't usually watch and have not seenj anything so far,

Interesting because,,surprise surprise,,,the news bite type quotes I've read do not reflect what he was actually saying and meaning,,so much inferring out of context reports.

Impressed with his English,,articulate and understood not only the questions but the hidden agendas behind them.

Only injury Reece but not relevant to this weekend as banned so clean health check... when did that last happen?

Lets see from Sunday how things look to be developing and assess things after 6 games or so.

Did warm to him but early days..the Carlo and Claudio mentions were interesting and insightful..imho.

• Like 2

I am biased. I love having an Italian manager (Carlo, Claudio, Gianluca) - something to do with the accent. I think I am going to like him (especially if he can beat our goalscoring record under Carlo)

• Like 1

I’m worried. I’ll be honest. 

• Worried that we’ve signed 99 players without getting any of the ones we actually needed (GK, CB & ST)
  • Worried that the Manager seems to be coaching on style & philosophy first rather than getting our shape & organisation sorted. Something we’ve lacked since 21/22 btw.
  • Worried that he’s been over-promoted and despite it being early days, there have been few green shoots to be excited about in pre-season
  • Worried by a lot of other things at the Club. Like the relentless spending despite no need for it. 

I very much hope to be wrong, but i think tomorrow could be a harsh lesson that leads to a real struggle and Maresca will last about 15-20 games here. I’m just not seeing & hearing any evidence that we are moving forwards and about to improve to a level we can all be enthusiastic about.

This already feels like the baby being out with the bathwater for the 3rd time in less than 2 years. Evolution was sensible, so revolution is what they have gone for instead.
If it happens again and we struggle, things will get really toxic this season and this time it will be firmly & solely on the Directors & Ownership and it’ll be really bad for all of us. 

As i said, i hope to be very wrong - but i can’t shake the feeling that things are not going the way any of us want them to.

2 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Some may disagree, but nothing to judge on Sunday, for me it’s just a game to get through and a point or more is a bonus.

The following 5 games will be the ones I think we can start judging on.

@Bert19,,,feel your pain and concern and not for a minute am I discounting your worries..all relevant... see Sam's post above and take a deep breathe, lets revisit your concerns in 5/6 games.

(Share your views more or lessbut not so deeply concerned as to the on pitch side..willing to wait and see ...Ownership?.......shakes head.

Well this press conference was a lot more blunt than I was expecting from him. He seems to be surprisingly direct and outspoken.

Some really savage comments about Sterling, Chilwell, and the length of player contracts. I do appreciate him hitting back on these claims about us having 42 players in training.

Certainly different temperament to what I was expecting anyway. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Proud-Blue said:

Well this press conference was a lot more blunt than I was expecting from him. He seems to be surprisingly direct and outspoken.

Some really savage comments about Sterling, Chilwell, and the length of player contracts. I do appreciate him hitting back on these claims about us having 42 players in training.

Certainly different temperament to what I was expecting anyway. 

I like the cut of his jib. He doesn't strike me as anyone's stooge.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, RDCW said:

I like the cut of his jib. He doesn't strike me as anyone's stooge.

Yes, definitely not the sporting director's stooge. He just happens to say and do everything they want! 

14 minutes ago, Bison said:

Yes, definitely not the sporting director's stooge. He just happens to say and do everything they want! 

Being on the same page is not the same as being a stooge. There is nothing in his behaviour which suggests he is anything other than his own man. If anything he has driven Sterling out of the club by telling the ownership he is not for him. I have no doubt that if he thought Sterling was his man he would still be in the squad.

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, RDCW said:

Being on the same page is not the same as being a stooge. There is nothing in his behaviour which suggests he is anything other than his own man. If anything he has driven Sterling out of the club by telling the ownership he is not for him. I have no doubt that if he thought Sterling was his man he would still be in the squad.

Haha!

There wasn't a peep from Maresca about Sterling not being in his plans all summer. 

Even a couple of days ago after leaving Sterling out of the squad this is what Maresca said:

“The only thing I can say again is it’s a technical decision, it’s nothing more than that,” said Maresca.

“I want Raheem Sterling, but I want all the 30 players that we have."

In fact, Sterling was complimentary about Maresca in preseason. He didn't sound like a player that was being frozen out. 

So what's happened? How has Maresca gone from giving him minutes in pre-season and 'wanting' him only a few days ago to now saying no minutes, no future and his shirt number stripped from him.

Does that strike you as normal behaviour?

4 minutes ago, Bison said:

Haha!

There wasn't a peep from Maresca about Sterling not being in his plans all summer. 

Even a couple of days ago after leaving Sterling out of the squad this is what Maresca said:

In fact, Sterling was complimentary about Maresca in preseason. He didn't sound like a player that was being frozen out. 

So what's happened? How has Maresca gone from giving him minutes in pre-season and 'wanting' him only a few days ago to now saying no minutes, no future and his shirt number stripped from him.

To be fair, you've misinterpreted what he said.  

He said that he wanted Sterling but that he wanted 30 players. Meaning that if he was able to accommodate 30 players he would.  He's clearly being polite.  

1 minute ago, Bison said:

Haha!

I am satisfied that Maresca is happy with the players in his squad, including Felix and Dewsbury-Hall. I also think he will be happy with the new Number 9 who will arrive before the end of the transfer window. I'm looking forward to this season, precisely because Maresca and the board are co-operating in a way in which Potter (a genuine stooge) and Pochettino (a non-coach) never did. He is plain speaking, direct and apparently decisive. He has a tactical plan and a structure which the players will be able to comprehend. After a bedding in period, during which there will be ups and downs, we will be a good side and I expect t us to finish in the top 4.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ham said:

To be fair, you've misinterpreted what he said.  

He said that he wanted Sterling but that he wanted 30 players. Meaning that if he was able to accommodate 30 players he would.  He's clearly being polite.  

Here's another quote:

“It was a tactical decision, no more than that. I have been clear, it's a tactical decision."

How do you go from tactical decision to no future, no minutes and no squad number. What have I misinterpreted here exactly? 

1 minute ago, Bison said:

Here's another quote:

How do you go from tactical decision to no future, no minutes and no squad number. What have I misinterpreted here exactly? 

Tactical decision still covers "I've seen enough and he doesn't have a future" although in all honesty it's clear the owners want him out because of his wages and poor form.  

Whether Maresca has decided he wants him gone as well, we'll probably never know. 

5 minutes ago, Bison said:

Here's another quote:

Tactically he does not see Sterling as preferable to other options he has.

I think you're picking the wrong target in expounding your ideas : to my mind the fact that Mudryk is not being squeezed out is much more indicative of the influence of the board than the rejection of Sterling and Chilwell.

Edited by RDCW

1 minute ago, RDCW said:

Tactically he does not see Sterling as preferable to other options he has.

I think you're picking the wrong target in expounding your ideas : to my mind the fact that Mudryk is not being squeezed out is much more indicative of the influence of the board than the rejection of Sterling and Chilwell.

I'll have a lot less respect for Maresca if Mudryk displays the same ineptitude going forward, but still gets picked.

Lets not forget Maresca and Sterling will have crossed paths at City. I'm sure some will be looking at that thinking he has seen him close up and doesn't fancy him.

What's likely going to be more telling, I would imagine there are journo sleuths out there who covered city during that time, so I wouldn't be surprised if some articles/interviews rear their head in the next 24 hours which involve Maresca eulogising over Sterling.

1 hour ago, RDCW said:

I'll have a lot less respect for Maresca if Mudryk displays the same ineptitude going forward, but still gets picked.

Do you really think Maresca would dare speak like this about a signing the two idiots are responsible for:

Enzo Maresca with a brutal response when asked about Sterling & what would happen if he's left with him while having 3 years left on his contract:

"This is not my problem, I'm here to take decisions. I'm not thinking about how many years on the contract, it's not my job. If they have a 6 year contract but I don't like them? They can have a 20 year contract, I don't care"

Mudryk is the worst player in the squad by a country mile. He hasn't accomplished even 5% of what Sterling has in the game but will never be disrespected like this. 

We all know what's happening here.

1 hour ago, Bison said:

Do you really think Maresca would dare speak like this about a signing the two idiots are responsible for:

Mudryk is the worst player in the squad by a country mile. He hasn't accomplished even 5% of what Sterling has in the game but will never be disrespected like this. 

We all know what's happening here.

Let's see shall we!

Watched the presser..second one for me.. he doesn't come over to me as a yes man or stooge,,certainly took no shit from the media hacks trying to trap him into headline statements.

He doesn't "fancy" Raheem,,Jose didn't fancy Salah/KDB and Cuadrado as I recall,,,no big outcry over that ,,, rumbles but short lived.

TBH..with a cold football eye I don't "fancy" Raheem..that's not to say I think he's rubbish but not a hill for any coach to die on.

SFL ditched Beckham,,and others,,it's what top coaches do well regardless of fan opinions (and bad coaches f'up!),,we will see how this pans out,

Love Conor and Trev but neither,,with a cold eye,, are super stars lost elsewhere,,KDB always had the potential...I believe Conor and Trev are close to their (good but not great ) ceiling and a somewhat false narrative has emerged comparing them with others in the squad,,valid but being possibly a bit better than others is not a long term reason to fight to keep them.

Maybe a disputed view and repeat I would keep both of them but not as nailed on starters,

FWIW..as I said to another well respected poster,,I'm torn between doom/gloom and hopefully a new broom!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, chara said:

Watched the presser..second one for me.. he doesn't come over to me as a yes man or stooge,,certainly took no shit from the media hacks trying to trap him into headline statements.

He doesn't "fancy" Raheem,,Jose didn't fancy Salah/KDB and Cuadrado as I recall,,,no big outcry over that ,,, rumbles but short lived.

TBH..with a cold football eye I don't "fancy" Raheem..that's not to say I think he's rubbish but not a hill for any coach to die on.

SFL ditched Beckham,,and others,,it's what top coaches do well regardless of fan opinions (and bad coaches f'up!),,we will see how this pans out,

Love Conor and Trev but neither,,with a cold eye,, are super stars lost elsewhere,,KDB always had the potential...I believe Conor and Trev are close to their (good but not great ) ceiling and a somewhat false narrative has emerged comparing them with others in the squad,,valid but being possibly a bit better than others is not a long term reason to fight to keep them.

Maybe a disputed view and repeat I would keep both of them but not as nailed on starters,

FWIW..as I said to another well respected poster,,I'm torn between doom/gloom and hopefully a new broom!

Him being a fiery Italian and also playing with a lot of personality when he played, I doubt he is a yes man long term. As I said in a previous post, no pressure has been applied yet and its certainly not aimed in his direction. It's very unlikely to remain like that throughout the season. 

He has a very fine line he has to balance here. For me, he is definitely a yes man at present. He has to be careful here though, because the more he goes along with things, the more he is creating a rod for his own back here. If he gets this balance wrong, he is going to find himself completely undermined in the near future.

Coming out and talking in a forthright manner to the press is one thing, what goes on behind the scenes is another.

Yes, players do get moved on, they do become ostracised in football and at other clubs.

I just have a hard time believing that Maresca's judgement on these matters, just so happens to mirror the view of the ownership on these matters to date. Had all this been happening over the last 8 weeks, then I could go with that more as it looks like a defined plan. As it is happening in such a short period of time, and in some cases with little warning or press briefings (most of what has been reported on Chelsea has been accurate under this lot - Neto the only thing kept under wraps), it comes across as a brutal culling that Maresca has no say in. Press conferences about Sterling not being his type of winger, that just feels like him already taking bullets on their behalf. If he wasn't his winger, he could have stayed at home with Chalobah and didn't need to go to the US......or maybe he didnt really know 29 YO Raheem's game despite being at City with him and needed to seem him in action ! It does not really stack does it.

Pressure will dictate they don't remain on this same thought process, but right now they certainly are. The list is starting to grow for football people who cannot seem to get on the same page as this ownership......Tuchel , Poch, Bath, Hayes , Vivell etc

Personally, I am not a great believer in coincidences.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

7 hours ago, chara said:

It’s one thing having a few stern words with some journalists and quite another to stand-up to your bosses and say no, we’re doing this my way.

I’d posted elsewhere yesterday that the Stirling business doesn’t add up, and for the same reasons that @Thiago97 states in his  considered post.

And again, (posted similar a few weeks back) the calibre, long standing nature, loyalty(?) of people who have left us in the last few months should be the flags that say that this is a club, or perhaps now that should read business, that is in a crisis and just not a nice place to do your stuff in. Pretty smart people have picked up their bags and exited stage left.

If you’re not in the management’s appointed sanctum then you’re out. The more I see, the more Im led to believe that the last coach stood up to them and that’s the reason he was exited.

Players come and go, a fact of football life - And there have always been the good and bad exits. Some will argue ‘does it really matter how it happens?’ I’d say, absolutely. If we were a trophy winning machine, paying above market rate, then players will always be attracted. We’re not that any more and sooner or later when the achievement bonuses are not realised and players see how they get treated then they’ll stop coming.

I sit around a number of fellas around my age at Stamford Bridge and most of them have been there for longer than I have - long-term STH’s . Every last one of them is disliking what the club has become under these owners. Sad thing with that last sentence is that I was going to write ‘we’ instead of ‘the club’, but that’s how it feels now. They have in two and a bit years done more than any owner to rip away the soul, identity and spirit. Soon the ground will be even more full of tourists as the emotionally invested fans get so f****d-off with what’s happening they just don’t care enough anymore. I’ve never seen so many football shirts of other clubs being worn by ‘visitors’ to our stadium, ever - then I did on Sunday and it’s getting worse.

They treat the fans with disdain and there’s hard facts backing that up, they treat employees with disdain and now players.

People should start thinking seriously about any sort of backing for these owners, they are, have and probably will continue on this path. One thing saves them - winning, and the new fans will associate themselves. Just as is happening with Man City now, used to Man Utd and Liverpool shirts in Surrey. Man City now.

Only thing that saves us is them going, we’ll win nothing of significance with them. Team is getting like them - No leadership shown at the top, soulless.

Jesus, even Spuds are behaving with better ethics, one of theirs gets caught on video doing some laughing gas. He gets a coating, a fine and internally banned. Our bloke gets seen front of stage in racist chanting and gets made captain - If ever anyone wanted the ‘state of the nation’ seen in a single action that was it.

They’ll not get a penny more from me than I’m already committed to and then after that we’ll see. But for the first time in 28/9 seasons I am now thinking about calling it a day next season - And I love my football club, after the family they have been the most important thing, sad but true. Planning holiday’s around games etc. 

As for Maresca, it’s ok being forthright at interviews. Show what you can do on the pitch and let your team do your talking. Sincerely hope he’s a success. What other coach/manager has been successful using the clubs new model though. The nearest seen is some of ours under Roman, but they had more influence than this one has.

Edited by east lower
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Thiago97 said:

Him being a fiery Italian and also playing with a lot of personality when he played, I doubt he is a yes man long term. As I said in a previous post, no pressure has been applied yet and its certainly not aimed in his direction. It's very unlikely to remain like that throughout the season. 

He has a very fine line he has to balance here. For me, he is definitely a yes man at present. He has to be careful here though, because the more he goes along with things, the more he is creating a rod for his own back here. If he gets this balance wrong, he is going to find himself completely undermined in the near future.

Coming out and talking in a forthright manner to the press is one thing, what goes on behind the scenes is another.

Yes, players do get moved on, they do become ostracised in football and at other clubs.

I just have a hard time believing that Maresca's judgement on these matters, just so happens to mirror the view of the ownership on these matters to date. Had all this been happening over the last 8 weeks, then I could go with that more as it looks like a defined plan. As it is happening in such a short period of time, and in some cases with little warning or press briefings (most of what has been reported on Chelsea has been accurate under this lot - Neto the only thing kept under wraps), it comes across as a brutal culling that Maresca has no say in. Press conferences about Sterling not being his type of winger, that just feels like him already taking bullets on their behalf. If he wasn't his winger, he could have stayed at home with Chalobah and didn't need to go to the US......or maybe he didnt really know 29 YO Raheem's game despite being at City with him and needed to seem him in action ! It does not really stack does it.

Pressure will dictate they don't remain on this same thought process, but right now they certainly are. The list is starting to grow for football people who cannot seem to get on the same page as this ownership......Tuchel , Poch, Bath, Hayes , Vivell etc

Personally, I am not a great believer in coincidences.

I certainly think you are right regarding this. It is absolutely no coincidence that the Sterling cull came about just as we realised that we would have to move to the next Atletico player on our list - Felix, in order to be able to shift Gallagher. 

That Maresca now need to tow the company line and speak incoherently of him not being the "type of winger he likes" reeks of arguments being made up after the event to justify it. Like you say, the probability that he didn't know Sterling very well already is not believable. Maybe you could argue that he only agreed to sell him after he knew we had secured teo other players he like sbetetr in that position? Sure, I can accept that as an explanation. But then again we would have gone for Felix straight away instead of the debacle with Omorodion. So there's always that. 

Like I've said before, I don't mind us dumping Sterling. I don't rate him, I don't particularly like him either and I think he is grossly overpaid (by the current ownership no less). It is the manner in how these decisions are being made that grates me. This is no way to run a football club and even though no player will speak up about you can be damned sure that in private they are just as baffled as we are. 

That is not a good platform to build from. 

I did like to hear that Maresca will look to add another three players to the vice-Captain role. More or less confirmed that Reece is the club captain with Enzo (and possibly Levi?) as vice-captains. Any guesses who the other two will be? My money is on two out the follwoing four: Caicedo, Fofana, Disasi and Palmer.