Official: Enzo MARESCA announced as new Chelsea Head Coach

12 hours ago, east lower said:

It’s one thing having a few stern words with some journalists and quite another to stand-up to your bosses and say no, we’re doing this my way.

I’d posted elsewhere yesterday that the Stirling business doesn’t add up, and for the same reasons that @Thiago97 states in his  considered post.

And again, (posted similar a few weeks back) the calibre, long standing nature, loyalty(?) of people who have left us in the last few months should be the flags that say that this is a club, or perhaps now that should read business, that is in a crisis and just not a nice place to do your stuff in. Pretty smart people have picked up their bags and exited stage left.

If you’re not in the management’s appointed sanctum then you’re out. The more I see, the more Im led to believe that the last coach stood up to them and that’s the reason he was exited.

Players come and go, a fact of football life - And there have always been the good and bad exits. Some will argue ‘does it really matter how it happens?’ I’d say, absolutely. If we were a trophy winning machine, paying above market rate, then players will always be attracted. We’re not that any more and sooner or later when the achievement bonuses are not realised and players see how they get treated then they’ll stop coming.

I sit around a number of fellas around my age at Stamford Bridge and most of them have been there for longer than I have - long-term STH’s . Every last one of them is disliking what the club has become under these owners. Sad thing with that last sentence is that I was going to write ‘we’ instead of ‘the club’, but that’s how it feels now. They have in two and a bit years done more than any owner to rip away the soul, identity and spirit. Soon the ground will be even more full of tourists as the emotionally invested fans get so f****d-off with what’s happening they just don’t care enough anymore. I’ve never seen so many football shirts of other clubs being worn by ‘visitors’ to our stadium, ever - then I did on Sunday and it’s getting worse.

They treat the fans with disdain and there’s hard facts backing that up, they treat employees with disdain and now players.

People should start thinking seriously about any sort of backing for these owners, they are, have and probably will continue on this path. One thing saves them - winning, and the new fans will associate themselves. Just as is happening with Man City now, used to Man Utd and Liverpool shirts in Surrey. Man City now.

Only thing that saves us is them going, we’ll win nothing of significance with them. Team is getting like them - No leadership shown at the top, soulless.

Jesus, even Spuds are behaving with better ethics, one of theirs gets caught on video doing some laughing gas. He gets a coating, a fine and internally banned. Our bloke gets seen front of stage in racist chanting and gets made captain - If ever anyone wanted the ‘state of the nation’ seen in a single action that was it.

They’ll not get a penny more from me than I’m already committed to and then after that we’ll see. But for the first time in 28/9 seasons I am now thinking about calling it a day next season - And I love my football club, after the family they have been the most important thing, sad but true. Planning holiday’s around games etc. 

As for Maresca, it’s ok being forthright at interviews. Show what you can do on the pitch and let your team do your talking. Sincerely hope he’s a success. What other coach/manager has been successful using the clubs new model though. The nearest seen is some of ours under Roman, but they had more influence than this one has.

Met up with a load of mates before and after the Madrid friendly who have also being going for years and years, many have now decided enough is enough and are no longer going in. They’ve given their tickets to others and prefer to stay in the bar during the game. Have to say that I’m seriously considering doing the same as the social get together is far more fun than being inside The Bridge these days.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, chrisb said:

Met up with a load of mates before and after the Madrid friendly who have also being going for years and years, many have now decided enough is enough and are no longer going in. They’ve given their tickets to others and prefer to stay in the bar during the game. Have to say that I’m seriously considering doing the same as the social get together is far more fun than being inside The Bridge these days.

It’s rotting from the head down, unfortunately.

• Agree 1

Liking him more and more.. especially the bit about players had better not think that because they didn't play the PL game on the Sunday that they'd get to be in the team on Thursday night. Places have to be earned, no matter the competition.

• Agree 2

He’s talking-the-talk at times, the BBC are carrying a piece where he’s saying he (or anyone else for that matter) cannot work with a squad of 40 player, and then goes on to talk about a squad size or 21-23 players.

We’ll have to firstly see if anyone listens and takes the requisite actions necessary to get the numbers down. Then secondly if they do, can Mr Maresca walk-the-walk.

As regards the linked piece, I hope he’s as demanding upwards as he appears to be downwards.