Official: Enzo MARESCA announced as new Chelsea Head Coach

On 10/10/2024 at 14:42, Bison said:

Screenshot_20241010_143935_Reddit.thumb.jpg.06232177b6cf65b3e89e32bacfbc163e.jpg

Does feel that way. Games never really feel secure. 

11th best defence in the league last season.

Joint 5th best this year.

Huge improvement, especially after such a short time, we are only 7 games in. We keep improving at this rate and who knows just how good we can become. 

Exciting times.

44 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

11th best defence in the league last season.

Joint 5th best this year.

Huge improvement, especially after such a short time, we are only 7 games in. We keep improving at this rate and who knows just how good we can become. 

Exciting times.

But where exactly is this "huge improvement" I keep reading about?

You say we're 5th best this year, but at the end of last season we were 4th and very close to 3td place Liverpool.

Not one of the issues in the team have been improved upon. Teams still run through our midfield like a hot knife through butter. We still look like conceeding goals galore every game. Our games are still like watching games of basketball.  Not that I'm complaining about that, because we are bloody good fun to watch.

What I see is Maresca continuing on from Potch in 2024.  I feared he was going to rip it all up and start again with tedious possession play, but I'm enjoying watching us, so i'm  very happy to have been proven very wrong so far.  

On 11/10/2024 at 21:37, boratsbrother said:

But where exactly is this "huge improvement" I keep reading about?

You say we're 5th best this year, but at the end of last season we were 4th and very close to 3td place Liverpool.

Pretty obvious really, we had the 11th best defence last season now we have the 5th.

And before anyone goes on at me about how we were tthe3rd or 4th best team from January, It's irrelevant because in that same time we lost 4-1 at Liverpool,  5-0 at Arsenal and 4-2 at home to Wolves. All three of those were absolutely shocking. So was the 4-3 win against United. The 2-2 draws with Brentford, Burnley and Sheffield Unites also came in this 'run', which were some of the worst performances I have ever seen.

We also lost City in the FA cup Semi, Middlesbrough and Liverpool in the League Cup final.

So, this incredible run people always want to bring up includes 6 loses and 3 draws which were completely and utterly embarrassing and the United win which we scraped but we're atrocious, so 10 games when we were an embarrassment. 

And that's before I even look at games like Leicester and Leeds, Forest away, Brighton away off the top of my head. We may have won those games but we were rubbish.

If people can't see the difference between this year and last, don't want to remember how truly awful we were for the vast majority of the season, including lots of games during our apparent 'good run' then there really is no help for them.

Hanging on to a statistic rather than seeing what actually happened is a pretty desperate way to try and make a point.

• Like 4

On 11/10/2024 at 21:37, boratsbrother said:

Martin said we have gone from 11th best defence to 5th best. That is correct. 

We averaged 1.66 goals against last season. We currently sit at 1.14. A circa 45% improvement, but still early days, granted

The equivalent games last season, we conceded 13 goals. 8 This season. 

In other areas, we are the PL 2nd top scorers behind City (+1).

We are averaging 2.28 goals per game, versus 2.02 last.

Equivalent games last season we scored 12, and we have 16 this season (despite a -4 swing against City)

We will know a lot more after the next 4 league games; games in which last season we picked up 4 points, whilst scoring 7 goals and conceding 10. 

• Like 1