Official: Enzo MARESCA announced as new Chelsea Head Coach

9 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

There's no such thing as a free signing.

A free agent just means the transfer fee goes to the player, as a signing on fee, as opposed to the club.

His big dream but he needs 100m of convincing to sign 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

They still managed it .

thanks to a 37 year old scoring 8 goals in there final 10 games of which 3 were match winning goals.

1 hour ago, Bison said:

And how did that work out? 11 defeats (including some really embarrassing ones). And 63 goals conceded, which is the most we've ever conceded in a Premier League season if I'm not mistaken. 

Bro you’ll be wearing a Chilwell t-shirt before Christmas 🫡🤣👀🎯

4 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

Just seen this interview with a Leicester player about Maresca and his way of playing on Reddit.

Kasey McAteer, who played for Leicester last season under Enzo Maresca, joined Alex Goldberg on his playback stream to talk about what it was like to play for our new Gaffer. Highly recommend you listen to this if you get a chance. Kasey was a great guest and very well spoken. Top guy.

Interview starts about 2 hours in: https://www.playback.tv/replay/cmSEFci3

• From day one he told the squad exactly how he wanted the team to play. They all knew exactly what was expected of them.
  • They all learned a lot. Kasey felt like all players would say they learned a lot.
  • They had a lot of fun playing under Maresca. Was a very enjoyable style of football to play.
  • Enzo is very passionate, like most italian managers haha.
  • Kasey and the squad have never played under a manager like Enzo. Absolutely lives and breathes football, extremely obsessed with attention to detail and learning. All about growth and getting better.
  • Whenever they would lose, Enzo would always take the blame, and then they'd work on how to improve.
  • Everyday he said they'd need to improve. They never rested on their laurels. Enzo is a very hard worker and would always try to be improving.
  • The team prepares for each opponent and changes how the different positions move depending on how the opposition plays. It's not a one size fits all approach for everyone they face.
  • They had many different ways of playing under the system Enzo implemented. Lots of different strategies and solutions for the opposition. Kasey said it was hard to describe but Enzo would tell the players how the game would go, and then the game would go exactly that way.
  • Enzo believes in that strategy and the whole team believed in the strategy. They always believed it would work out in the end and never doubted.
  • They felt like they had a great year, even with their second half dip in form. They view it as a great year, no asterisks.
  • They felt like they were constantly improving and getting better with that style of football as the season progressed.
  • The team wasn't worried during their down stretch the second half of the season.
  • During that bad stretch they had a player meeting because they felt they needed to say some things to each other away from the staff. Enzo was very respectful and appreciative of that. Kasey made this sound like in a roundabout way they needed to call eachother out because it wasn't necessarily the managers fault for that dip in form.
  • Enzo always let players speak their mind if they wanted to say something in a meeting or say something about tactics. The door was always open. He is very open, very honest.
  • Enzo is very direct with players. He would always be honest because when Enzo was a player that's what he wanted. They all knew it wasn't personal, it's a job.
  • Very good way of working, very unique way of working.
  • Doesn't let young players get ahead of themselves. Good at managing players feelings.
  • Very good at getting players to play his style of football. Vardy had never played this way before, but Enzo was able to get Vardy playing his style. Able to get the best out old and young players.
  • Some players would swap position based on the opposition.
  • On training: lots of little possession boxes. Enzo would get involved "in the fun" but also an element of seriousness. Training itself was tough at times. Fitness coach was always making sure players put in 100%. Never a relaxed training session. They'd do an hour and a half to two hours of training and then recovery.
  • They were big on recovery. If players needed anything after games, they'd make sure the training ground was open so they could do an ice bath or anything else they'd need. Again, very big on recovery.
  • Enzo could identify when players needed to recover more. Was very cognizant of that. Very good at managing players and what they needed.
  • They did NOT have a one size fits all approach to fitness. Absolute breath of fresh air here.
  • Enzo's fitness guy was very highly rated by players.
  • Kasey says his time under Enzo was very enjoyable. Kasey himself had a couple of injuries, but Enzo never made him feel like he was out of the picture.
  • Says Chelsea "have a very good one."
  • Kasey scored against liverpool. Says he's so appreciative of Enzo for giving him that chance.
  • The players went over to Enzo's house in the middle of the night after they got promoted. All the staff were there. Not a lot of managers that would do that. But they all had a strong bond and spent the night singing and shouting in Maresca's house.
  • All the players really liked Maresca, and the young guys looked up to him.
  • Kasey is childhood mates with Carney Chukwuemeka. Thinks Enzo will really appreciate Carney and that he'll flourish under him, but he's obviously biased as they're mates.

Kasey seemed to really like Enzo. The club seems very disappointed that he left, especially if you look at Leicesters statement today. Obviously this interview isn't club PR as it comes from a Leicester player, but seems as if the players really genuinely loved the football they were playing and loved playing under Maresca.

All very promising on paper. Very, very promising! 

But as the old sayings go.. the proof is in the pudding...actions speak louder than words.

• Agree 1

43 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Don't they count then?

They do, 

However if it a 37 year old getting Enzo out of jail, Maybe he will ask TBSD to retain the clubs over 30 striker whos spent a couple of season in Coventry.

Just now, ROTG said:

They do, 

However if it a 37 year old getting Enzo out of jail, Maybe he will ask TBSD to retain the clubs over 30 striker whos spent a couple of season in Coventry.

In the interview I posted , the Leicester player mentioned that Maresca coached Vardy to play a different way , if that led to him scoring winning goals then surely that means it was a job well done as it worked?

Here's an idea , why not take off the "I hate Clearlake" hat just for a little bit and see what occurs .

I know I was vocally against Pochettino but AFTER he decided to bin the formation and way of playing after having success with it pre-season . 

Give the bloke a chance for goodness sakes. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

OK.. a cry for support! After all the exhausting New Manager trauma I have to go down to town with Mrs C on a "Frocking" expedition.....she's off to UK in a couple of weeks for a family wedding and her son's birthday,,,sigh..and it seems a new dress or such is required....as if this week hasn't been tough enough 🤒

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

It is all a bit of an anti-climax I'm finding.

Big announcement but, because he doesn't officially start until the 1st July, nothing more.

Very frustrating.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, chara said:

OK.. a cry for support! After all the exhausting New Manager trauma I have to go down to town with Mrs C on a "Frocking" expedition.....she's off to UK in a couple of weeks for a family wedding and her son's birthday,,,sigh..and it seems a new dress or such is required....as if this week hasn't been tough enough 🤒

No support from me Chara!!!

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, JaneB said:

It is all a bit of an anti-climax I'm finding.

Big announcement but, because he doesn't officially start until the 1st July, nothing more.

Very frustrating.

I did read that although he "officially" starts on July 1st he's already "unofficially" on the job getting everything sorted for then 

Just now, Mark Kelly said:

I did read that although he "officially" starts on July 1st he's already "unofficially" on the job getting everything sorted for then 

Well that's encouraging.  Just frustrating we can't see him interviewed or have some photos of the backroom staff etc.

All in good time I guess.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

You poor sod😁

My own fault,,very early after we reconnected 11 years ago in my eagerness ,(,and ego driven).. to show her I was a "Man For All Seasons" I mistakenly demonstrated that I had a "good eye" and could be relied upon for accurate assessment of new clothes purchases etc.... I should know better but can't undo what's done!

• Haha 1

On 03/06/2024 at 16:49, JaneB said:

There seems to be more goodwill towards Maresca than there was to Potter or Poch.

It's now like that if he fails, he's not really to blame, it's the clowns who appointed him that are.

Says it all doesn’t it? 

Will he have my support? Of course. Do I think he’ll do better than Poch? No. 

Hopefully he will be able to show progress on our full season record, but there’s no way he’ll keep us on the same level as we were second half of this season (74 points pro-data). 

Hopefully he will have a somewhat settled side to begin with (and less injuries). Feel that will be key. 

22 minutes ago, chara said:

My own fault,,very early after we reconnected 11 years ago in my eagerness ,(,and ego driven).. to show her I was a "Man For All Seasons" I mistakenly demonstrated that I had a "good eye" and could be relied upon for accurate assessment of new clothes purchases etc.... I should know better but can't undo what's done!

You are a prince among men 👑

3 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

In the interview I posted , the Leicester player mentioned that Maresca coached Vardy to play a different way , if that led to him scoring winning goals then surely that means it was a job well done as it worked?

Here's an idea , why not take off the "I hate Clearlake" hat just for a little bit and see what occurs .

I know I was vocally against Pochettino but AFTER he decided to bin the formation and way of playing after having success with it pre-season . 

Give the bloke a chance for goodness sakes. 

The damage is already done by Clearlake and therefore I do not give a dam about them.

As for the new coach the data is there to see his level.  Therefore there is little point writing anything about him. 

Let’s say Jul, Aug , Sep will be interesting

I haven’t seen anything from Vardy saying Enzo changed his style. 

1 hour ago, ROTG said:

The damage is already done by Clearlake and therefore I do not give a dam about them.

As for the new coach the data is there to see his level.  Therefore there is little point writing anything about him. 

Let’s say Jul, Aug , Sep will be interesting

I haven’t seen anything from Vardy saying Enzo changed his style. 

A wise man once said, don't argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. 

So I'm not bothering with you any more. 

3 hours ago, chara said:

It’s a wonderful tactic - Always like the cheapest one!! 😂💰

57 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Does it specifically mention kebabs and Pizza? 

No but it does mention fried eggs, ketchup and cake, amongst other things.

Dried pasta and dried chicken on the menu with no sauces 😢

The players are in for a shock awakening 😫

• Haha 2