Official: Enzo MARESCA announced as new Chelsea Head Coach

Just a quick update.....IT begins.."No rush" says Mrs C "The mall doesn't open until ten ",,,40 mile trip and we leave in good time..arrive at Mall 10-15 only to find nothing opens until 11-00,,,, I get a sense of impending dark clouds.

Go elsewhere to two establishments obviously Hell annexes but nothing,,return to Mall and manage to get The Penitents Chair as Mrs C is in deep discussion with a far too chirpy older saleslady (who also insists on being "chirpy" with me ..accent etc) goes through a years production of some Asian sweatshop only to finally admit defeat and we leave for a late lunch at Red Lobster,,,as we exit the store Mrs C says.."Well I have an outfit I haven't worn at home that will probably be ok"

Hell isn't just losing to the Arse !

• Haha 4

6 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

A wise man once said, don't argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. 

So I'm not bothering with you any more. 

That's your choice 

BTW do you need a hand putting your toys back in the pram. 

As for the idiot jibe. That's all stick and stones to me and shows the level of the keyboard warrior who typed it. 

• Like 1

Bit late but Mark (and others) mentioned the Vardy "talk" from our new man.... Vardy has scored goals throughout his admirable career and I believe what probably happened was less him being instructed to change his game than wise words from someone as how to tweak his game taking into account his veteran status and game plans.

Which,strangely enough..is what a decent coach does at every level.,,who'da thought?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

On 05/06/2024 at 21:14, chara said:

Bit late but Mark (and others) mentioned the Vardy "talk" from our new man.... Vardy has scored goals throughout his admirable career and I believe what probably happened was less him being instructed to change his game than wise words from someone as how to tweak his game taking into account his veteran status and game plans.

Which,strangely enough..is what a decent coach does at every level.,,who'da thought?

Going back a few years now, ( I think after Costa went ) there was talk of Vardy coming here. I was 100% up for that but many here instantly dismissed him as over the hill. Giroud too was sent packing because he was too old. Fair play,  because the new guys here that are still on breast milk really hit the ground running. 

3 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

Going back a few years now, ( I think after Costa went ) there was talk of Vardy coming here. I was 100% up for that but many here instantly dismissed him as over the hill. Giroud too was sent packing because he was too old. Fair play,  because the new guys here that are still on breast milk really hit the ground running. 

Vardy’s biggest problem and why he should not be touched with a barge pole,  is being married to Mrs Vardy. 

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, Max Fowler said:

Leicester in talks to hire Potter after we have hired Leicester's manager 🫠🔫

Got a feeling Potter is holding out for Gareth's job. ,🤡

• Like 1

2 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

I think Potter is happy getting his Chelsea wage… it may be that once he gets a new job that stops.

It’s Chelsea’s “Make a Mug a Multi-Millionaire scheme!” Every two seasons, Clearlake Capital is proud to be offering one unproven manager the chance of a lifetime. Can you survive the rollercoaster ride of managing Chelsea Football Club? Fear not, even if you only last a few months, you still earn a multimillion dollar payout! This year’s winner has been revealed as Enzo Maresca, a Championship manager who struggled at Parma, but you can apply for the 2026 season now! Terms and conditions apply.

Edited by Max Fowler
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Max Fowler said:

It’s Chelsea’s “Make a Mug a Multi-Millionaire scheme!” Every two seasons, Clearlake Capital is proud to be offering one unproven manager the chance of a lifetime. Can you survive the rollercoaster ride of managing Chelsea Football Club? Fear not, even if you only last a few months, you still earn a multimillion dollar payout! This year’s winner has been revealed as Enzo Maresca, a Championship manager who struggled at Parma, but you can apply for the 2026 season now! Terms and conditions apply.

You do know that every club does this don't you? How many have United, a far bigger club than Chelsea burned through? What about Liverpool before Klopp? City before Guardiola? 

37 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

You do know that every club does this don't you? How many have United, a far bigger club than Chelsea burned through? What about Liverpool before Klopp? City before Guardiola? 

None of this fits the narrative though so it doesn't count, you should know this Mark. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

I think Potter is happy getting his Chelsea wage… it may be that once he gets a new job that stops.

I suspect this may be the last month he gets any money from Chelsea.  I find it hard to believe that our owners would offer a 5 year contract that didn't have break clauses nor clauses limiting compensation for being sacked.  A clause that pays him to the end of the following season (ie now) or whenever he finds a new job - whichever happens soonest - seems likely. The fact he's not really been linked with many jobs until now suggests that may be the case.

• Agree 1

22 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

.  I find it hard to believe that our owners would offer a 5 year contract that didn't have break clauses nor clauses limiting compensation for being sacked.  

Of course. 

It's amazing what people believe. The same way, there is zero chance Maresca is getting paid 5 years' worth of salary, irrespective of whether he last 5 months or the full 5 years

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

This is a very confusing point Mark, but let's take that club by club. United are not a club we want to compare ourselves to, as their structure has destroyed any manager that comes in after Fergie. Liverpool isn't a good comparison either, because before Klopp they were nowhere near as financially powerful as we were or are now. In any case, they "burned through" 5 managers in 17 years before Klopp, we're already onto our 6th manager in 2 years. Man City since Abu Dhabi has taken over is the best fit, where they have had 4 managers in 8 years (including the interim Kidd like Saltor for us).

In any case - none of these clubs have hired two nobodies like we have since Clearlake took over. My original post was about the fact that we have now hired two coaches who clearly lack the experience to do the job.

Of course Enzo could prove me wrong, but no other club you mention has hired one manager as inexperienced as Potter or Maresca, with the exception of Rodgers (but again, Liverpool of then were nowhere near Chelsea of now).

The only club that's following our trend is Bayern with Kompany, but again, given the mess that they are in, is that a club that we want to be emulating? Bayern landed on Kompany as their 9th choice, we had him as our 3rd choice last season and somehow Maresca has gone straight to the top spot despite Potter being the previous perfect fit for this "project" 😂 🫠 🔫

Edited by Max Fowler

Frankly at this point owners don't really believe that Maresca will really be here for 5 seasons, let alone 2.

They just want to get a talented coach in who won't cause much trouble and the new appointment is an opportunity to pump out more PR and excite the fanbase (shiny new toy syndrome - takes the lens off the owners).

We sack him before the end of the season or next and get someone else in, maybe another Poch to appease the fanbase for a while, then get another yes man, youthful project manager in. Rinse and repeat.

If our 100/1 shot comes in and he actually turns out to be the next Guardiola, that's a bonus. But by no means required.

2 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Of course. 

It's amazing what people believe. The same way, there is zero chance Maresca is getting paid 5 years' worth of salary, irrespective of whether he last 5 months or the full 5 years

My post wasn't meant to be totally serious