Official: Enzo MARESCA announced as new Chelsea Head Coach

4 hours ago, Max Fowler said:

we're already onto our 6th manager in 2 years.

You can spin it that way, or you could say Clearlake have fired two managers that they have chosen to employ. Both with good reason.

They inherited TT, to include Saltor and Frank is a bit daft and Maresca hasn't even started yet...

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

18 minutes ago, McCreadie said:

You can spin it that way, or you could say Clearlake have fired two managers that they have chosen to employ. Both with good reason.

They inherited TT, to include Saltor and Frank is a bit daft and Maresca hasn't even started yet...

Okay, but I also included the Man City manager who was there for two weeks.

The original point was that no other elite club is making inexperienced appointments like we are.

And it would be lovely to see you hold the board to account for their failed appointments 🙂

Edited by Max Fowler

38 minutes ago, McCreadie said:

What was the good reason for poch, being a coach who managed to take their bag of dolly mixtures and make and them punch above there weight?

3 minutes ago, ROTG said:

What was the good reason for poch, 

Coward. Doesn't know how to win. See LC final and Fa Cup semi, both of which were for the taking.

Burnley at home, sheffield united away........two terrible teams we couldn't finish off (and would have got 4th)

3 minutes ago, ROTG said:

make and them punch above there weight?

that's a matter of opinion.

overall I thought we got roughly the amount of points we should have.

• Agree 1

28 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Coward. Doesn't know how to win. See LC final and Fa Cup semi, both of which were for the taking.

Burnley at home, sheffield united away........two terrible teams we couldn't finish off (and would have got 4th)

that's a matter of opinion.

overall I thought we got roughly the amount of points we should have.

As you say it’s a matter of opinion. 
imo poch made that that squad a revelation getting 63pts, along with find out by luck at the arse end of the season that the team performs better as a unit without Enzo.  

You referenced the LC and FA cup and games against fodder sides, should these be bench marks for the new coach or is it a case of rest and another season of mid table wilderness?  

1 minute ago, ROTG said:

the team performs better as a unit without Enzo.  

certainly better than with an enzo who needed surgery

1 minute ago, ROTG said:

You referenced the LC and FA cup and games against fodder sides, should these be bench marks for the new coach or is it a case of rest and another season of mid table wilderness?  

Is 6th mid table wilderness?

Top 4 has to be the aim next season. And we should get it, IMO. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ROTG said:

What was the good reason for poch...

I would probably have kept him for another season personally, but that result and performance against Arsenal away, in total and complete isolation,  was as good a reason as anybody needs. 

5 hours ago, Max Fowler said:

The original point was that no other elite club is making inexperienced appointments like we are.

🙂

Are you forgetting Arteta had zero managerial experience when appointed by Arsenal?

Personally, all I care about is us giving our manager a couple of seasons and sticking by him even if things aren't going well. If not, we  carry on sacking managers left and right and run a our club on little more than hoping we find a genius who sorts us out in his first 6 months.

1 hour ago, McCreadie said:

I imagine that the reality of the situation, is that they did their due diligence on prospective managers and were let down in their expectations both times.

Some here would prefer to suggest they are idiots who know nothing about football, take no advice from anyone who does know about football and made their choices by randomly sticking a pin in a list of dud managers.

That doesn't sound like the actions of any of the self-made billionaires that I know.

Okay but at some point that's just a failure. You can talk about due diligence, hint about good intentions, but business is business. There are plenty of badly running billionaires in football and whether we have them at our club or not, we need to be honest about where they have failed.

4 hours ago, paulw66 said:

certainly better than with an enzo who needed surgery

Agree!

I've been far from convinced by Enzo for most of his time here, but let's give the guy a break here! He was very clearly struggling to run a lot of the time this season. At times he looked so uncomfortable it looked like he had stones on his boots but he went out there and tried his best for the team. I think next season will be make or break for him at Chelsea. I hope he makes it because on top form he could be a useful asset to the team with his passing. 

• Agree 3

9 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

Are you forgetting Arteta had zero managerial experience when appointed by Arsenal?

Personally, all I care about is us giving our manager a couple of seasons and sticking by him even if things aren't going well. If not, we  carry on sacking managers left and right and run a our club on little more than hoping we find a genius who sorts us out in his first 6 months.

You're right, Arteta is the exception. But he also had a connection to Arsenal, like we had with Frank. 

The point I made above, which noone seems to care about, is that Arsenal have BACKED Arteta with players that HE wants. He has been very much involved in the transfer process.

We have literally brought in a manager to give him players and tell him to keep quiet - we have a completely different model and one that has never worked at top levels of football.

38 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

You're right, Arteta is the exception. But he also had a connection to Arsenal, like we had with Frank. 

The point I made above, which noone seems to care about, is that Arsenal have BACKED Arteta with players that HE wants. He has been very much involved in the transfer process.

We have literally brought in a manager to give him players and tell him to keep quiet - we have a completely different model and one that has never worked at top levels of football.

Bayern Munich hiring Company is much more shocking than us hiring Enzo!

I'd go as far to say that Company getting that job after his one season in the top flight ended in relegation, is by far the most puzzling managerial appointment I can  remember at a top club. 

1 hour ago, boratsbrother said:

Bayern Munich hiring Company is much more shocking than us hiring Enzo!

I'd go as far to say that Company getting that job after his one season in the top flight ended in relegation, is by far the most puzzling managerial appointment I can  remember at a top club. 

He was their 9th choice though. Enzo was somehow our first choice.

6 hours ago, McCreadie said:

Some here would prefer to suggest they are idiots who know nothing about football, take no advice from anyone who does know about football and made their choices by randomly sticking a pin in a list of dud managers.

Mascara is the second appointment within 12 months, made by the sporting directors after their so called detailed analysis of candidates.

Therefore if you did a poll with Chelsea supporters on their performance of selecting coaches, one would suspect the confidence in their ability would not be that high. 

Should this appointment go south, heads need to roll. 

Edited by ROTG
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ROTG said:

Should this appointment go south, heads need to roll. 

Whose heads? From what I've been reading the same people running the club, are also hiring/appointing the coach. Do they sack themselves, or have I got it wrong?

I'm not sure. I think the board recognised that they do not have enough knowledge to make decisions about the sport and delegated them to the Sporting Directors, Winstanley and Stewart. In the end, the board is answerable to the investors for that choice, but it would seem a sensible one. So, if the various decisions over recruitment go wrong, then the sporting directors' heads should roll first. However, if the investors feel it has not been handled adequately, they can put in new board members. So, I think if these decisions don't work, the board has to let the sporting directors go if they want to keep control of the business.

I fear for this forum should Chelsea become very successful again because the number of daily active users will surely fall by at least a third, maybe more. 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

40 minutes ago, Ham said:

I fear for this forum should Chelsea become very successful again because the number of daily active users will surely fall by at least a third, maybe more. 

The critics of Clearlake are generally much more balanced than the staunch optimists. For example, I will praise them for going hard after Olise - he would be a fantastic signing.

I can't remember the last time you ever posted anything negative about the board in your over 3k of posts. We would have a more healthy debate if many on here did not stick their head in the sand.

• Disagree 1

51 minutes ago, Ham said:

Hope your prediction of being successful will come around this season and the pessimists will run for cover and I can go and buy some humble pie, now the games changers are fit for the coming season. 

20 minutes ago, Ham said:

How can you have a healthy debate if everyone agrees with you? 

The reason I don't go in hard on the owners and board is precisely because I AM more balanced.

I'm able to see past the poor performances on the pitch and factor in the crippling injuries, forced lack of rotation, which causes exhaustion, and players being played out of position.

I've championed this squad from the beginning of the season and don't see many mis-steps by the club at all. 

Critics see every move by the club in a negative way. That's not balanced. 

Okay again Ham - I have just gave a positive example of something the board has done.

Straight off the top of the dome. I could give 10 more.

Yet you are unable to name one negative example.

That's not being balanced.

1 hour ago, Max Fowler said:

Okay again Ham - I have just gave a positive example of something the board has done.

Straight off the top of the dome. I could give 10 more.

Yet you are unable to name one negative example.

That's not being balanced.

We shouldn't have gotten rid of Tuchel in hindsight.

Sold too many experienced players too quickly. 

Ideally would have bought a few more PL hardened players to compete immediately. 

Cancelled the away coach subsidy. 

The stupid VIP areas in the East and West lower.

How's that?

• Agree 1