Official: Enzo MARESCA announced as new Chelsea Head Coach

1 hour ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Would be a terrible decision IMO. Petrovic or a new signing should be number 1 next season.

Then again, Petrovic was dreadful at the end of the season. Threw them in against Burnley and Sheffield United, and barely made a save of any note against anyone. 

Neither are elite, and I guess pre season will be used to judge which one will start, but for me, it's about as close as a toss of a coin.

It's the one position I would go big on. Donnarumma please. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

46 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Then again, Petrovic was dreadful at the end of the season. Threw them in against Burnley and Sheffield United, and barely made a save of any note against anyone. 

Neither are elite, and I guess pre season will be used to judge which one will start, but for me, it's about as close as a toss of a coin.

It's the one position I would go big on. Donnarumma please. 

Yeah, Petrovic did hit a rough patch towards the end, but I was felt safer with him than I did anytime we had Sanchez playing.

I also get confused by Sanchez, I always read he’s got great distribution and he’s good with his feet… my eyes tell me something very different and that’s where most of his errors come from, often gifting the opponents key chances.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

Sanchez back in goal? 

Great. 

Not. 

Sanchez cost 25m and Ben Roberts who signed him has been promoted to 'Head of Global Goalkeeping'. The decision to reinstate him as #1 isn't based on merit or ability.

Sanchez is a back up keeper at best but he cost too much and people like Roberts need to justify their jobs otherwise questions will be asked.

We have squad made up entirely of players signed by different directors and owners. It's the Chelsea way. 

12 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Yeah, Petrovic dead hit a rough patch towards the end, but I was felt safer with him than I did anytime we had Sanchez playing.

I also get confused by Sanchez, I always read he’s got great distribution and he’s good with his feet… my eyes tell me something very different and that’s where most of his errors come from, often gifting the opponents key chances.

A good keeper is probably worth 6-9 pts per season. These are the small margins the scouts calling the shots don’t understand 

6 minutes ago, Bison said:

We have squad made up entirely of players signed by scouts and owners without any input from the first team coach
It's the Chelsea way.

Corrected. 

21 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Yeah, Petrovic dead hit a rough patch towards the end, but I was felt safer with him than I did anytime we had Sanchez playing.

Petrovic every day of every week for me. Sanchez has a calamity in him and it’s a regular thing.

Now, that’s not to say that I think Petrovic is an elite keeper, but he’s better than the other bloke.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Bison said:

We have squad made up entirely of players signed by different directors and owners. It's the Chelsea way. 

Not having a go BUT, its also kind-a the most big european clubs way. i.e. Madrid and Barcelona, and they havent done too badly - apart from Barcelona (hahahahah GOOD)

2 hours ago, Miguelito07 said:

Not having a go BUT, its also kind-a the most big european clubs way. i.e. Madrid and Barcelona, and they havent done too badly - apart from Barcelona (hahahahah GOOD)

Not quite. 
although the egos of the owners do the marque signing as is part of becoming the clubs president, the remainder are done by the DoF working with the club coach. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ROTG said:

Not quite. 
although the egos of the owners do the marque signing as is part of becoming the clubs president, the remainder are done by the DoF working with the club coach. 

I remember reading reports at the time suggesting Eghbali was personally invested in the Mudryk signing and personally flew to meet Shaktar's directors to get the deal done. His first ego signing which is why this sunk cost won't be moved on any time soon. 

I didn't think the PL allowed multiple ownership of player contracts because of the potential that the player may be part-owned by someone with a vested interest in another club against which the player may play. I thought that was established with the Tevez saga. Maybe, I misunderstood as it was a while back.

36 minutes ago, Miguelito07 said:

Isn’t it a bit weird that there’s been no announcement from the club on Maresco - thought he started on 1 July and would have expected an announcement then

On 02/07/2024 at 16:43, JaneB said:

When are we going to be introduced to Signor Maresca and his staff??

His contract started yesterday.

I'm getting impatient.

What I said!!!!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sciatika said:

Childish, I know, but my first thought was, 'Which room at the Bridge (or Cobham) has all those chandeliers and tapestry seats?'.

I think it was the Men's Changing Room ?

• Haha 1

@Ham...have to agree,,,generic interview but came across well...no "awe shucks" GP.

My other thought was he is young enough in football terms to still have the enthusiasm and drive that The Poch seemed to have left behind (If he even had it at Soton,,,too far back and not really on my interest view ),

We can but hope and give him a chance..too many really good "eyes" on here, even if differing philosophies, for him to hide or fake for long.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Ham said:

Already looks a bit more Coachy

Could be just discussing the never ending roadworks and delays on the A3 / M25 Wisley interchange 😀

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)

Anyone else getting slight Luca Vialli (God rest his beautiful soul) vibes from EM?

He's a snappy dresser, I'l give him that. If only his trousers were fitted long enough. That's a metaphor right there. 

Edited by Morgs
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Morgs said:

Anyone else getting slight Luca Vialli (God rest his beautiful soul) vibes from EM?

He's a snappy dresser, I'l give him that. If only his trousers were fitted long enough. That's a metaphor right there. 

All I can see is Pep Lite 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Morgs said:

Would Pep-Lite be an improvement over Poch Vanilla? 

Can’t wait for your debrief if it quickly goes Pete Tong with mascara.