New Striker

6 hours ago, chara said:

and Duran...sigh.

There be a new moon on Monday for the press to say Is a Chelsea target 

Edited by ROTG
  • Haha 1

If these owners can’t wait until next summer, then just sign Artem Dovbyk from Girona, top scorer in a top league, rather than just splashing the cash on yet another unproven kid. 

4 hours ago, Floyd25 said:

If these owners can’t wait until next summer, then just sign Artem Dovbyk from Girona, top scorer in a top league, rather than just splashing the cash on yet another unproven kid. 

Said the same, earlier in the thread. Got the right physical attributes for the PL, links play well and we won’t be necessarily paying Premier League ‘PSR Tax’ in the fee.

City Group ownership of Girona might complicate things though?

Edited by east lower
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, east lower said:

Said the same, earlier in the thread. Got the right physical attributes for the PL, links play well and we won’t be necessarily paying Premier League ‘PSR Tax’ in the fee.

One would assume Chitty will have first choice on him

7 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

We probably need an experts view and should ask Rio 

Emma Hays would be idea to do video review of him, as there is, nowt better than having a girls on film opinion 

I'll get my coat and take the cheese with me

Edited by ROTG

11 minutes ago, ROTG said:

One would assume Chitty will have first choice on him

You’d assume so, could be a blocker.

Maybe why there’s been little gossip surrounding him, he won the Pichichi last season in La Liga. You’d therefore expect links to other clubs.

7 minutes ago, ROTG said:

Emma Hays would be idea to do video review of him, as there is, nowt better than having a girls on film opinion 

I'll get my coat and take the cheese with me

Gossip will be over after the weekend, there’s always a New Moon on Monday.

Want some port with that cheese?

On a serious note as regards Jhon Duran, can’t see much in him to warrant spending the amounts of money being quoted for him. 

He’s not super quick (neither is Alvarez by the way), not an icy finisher (which Alvarez looks to be) and doesn’t lead the line - plays in the channels. 

Waste of money in my view, but we’re quite good at that, so don’t rule a transfer out.

I know nothing about Duran but assume he'd be bought in as an option, alongside Jackson as opposed to being first choice and I'm quite happy with that.

Looking at the strikers out there, how many are that much better than Jackson, Osimhen for example is he really levels above Jackson? His signing would cost the club well over £150m all in and I'm not sure he's much of an upgrade, if any.

Nicolas Jackson has only played two years of top flight football, one in Spain and one in the Premier league, his upward curve is pretty much vertical. He's still 22. The potential is phenomenal and he has a much higher ceiling than any of the strikers we are likely to get. If he continues his progress he will become one of the best in the world.

If we can't sign a clear upgrade on Jackson then a signing like Duran could make some sense.

• Agree 3

I'm in the yes camp for Duran.  I don't massively rate (or fancy for the price) huge swathes of the rest of the field, and I think we'll be buying someone on the brink of a proper breakout season.

All he lacks is game time. This will be a long season for us and he'll definitely get it.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

I know nothing about Duran but assume he'd be bought in as an option, alongside Jackson as opposed to being first choice and I'm quite happy with that.

Looking at the strikers out there, how many are that much better than Jackson, Osimhen for example is he really levels above Jackson? His signing would cost the club well over £150m all in and I'm not sure he's much of an upgrade, if any.

Nicolas Jackson has only played two years of top flight football, one in Spain and one in the Premier league, his upward curve is pretty much vertical. He's still 22. The potential is phenomenal and he has a much higher ceiling than any of the strikers we are likely to get. If he continues his progress he will become one of the best in the world.

If we can't sign a clear upgrade on Jackson then a signing like Duran could make some sense.

Wholeheartedly agree. Jackson also strikes me as an ideal fit for the new coach's system.  If he can improve his finishing (and as you say, he's only 22 with 2 seasons of top-level experience) I'm not sure we actually need to look for a "first choice" striker.  Duran and Nkunku as 'back ups' (and all three can play in other positions, too) and I think we're fairly well set.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

It’s sounding like Duran is going to be coming. Weren’t we linked with him in January as well?

It’s a little underwhelming again, however, if the fee isn’t too high then it probably does make sense as it gives us another option. He’d likely be taking the role we had hoped Broja would have and be a genuine second option.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, east lower said:

Possibly, might depend on whether they keep Alvarez or not, because I’ve seen his name mentioned a few times. 

4 hours ago, martin1905 said:

Couldn’t Datro Fofana fill that role? He had a good loan spell last season, Duran managed five goals in 23 appearances, I don’t get why he’s considered the better player. 

I like the small bits I have seen of Duran. By all accounts though, he will not be that easy to manage. I commented on this back in January as I have a mate who is a mad keen Villa fan. Senior players and the manager at Villa have had to step in at times with him, due to his attitude in training and around the club. I was also told that  he apparently completely trashed the house that he was renting , to the point that the club were called in by the owners to repair significant damages done to this house ( no idea what exactly )

As a player , he has great potential and looks a powerhouse centre forward. Without going to cliché, hopefully London life does not get the better of him! 

17 minutes ago, Thiago97 said:

Senior players and the manager at Villa have had to step in at times with him, due to his attitude in training and around the club. I was also told that  he apparently completely trashed the house that he was renting , to the point that the club were called in by the owners to repair significant damages done to this house ( no idea what exactly )

Will cost us around 30 million pounds to find out if we can develop him as a player and as a person, or we could’ve signed a more proven striker that didn’t need an attitude adjustment.