New Striker

42 minutes ago, Floyd25 said:

Couldn’t Datro Fofana fill that role? He had a good loan spell last season, Duran managed five goals in 23 appearances, I don’t get why he’s considered the better player. 

well, dig a bit deeper

3 starts and 20 sub appearances is a different picture to "23 appearances".  Duran got 5 goals in 463 minutes 

Fofana, 10 starts, 5 sub appearances, 4 goals in 880 minutes 

Edit - not that stats and numbers are the whole picture 

Edited by paulw66
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, paulw66 said:

well, dig a bit deeper

3 starts and 20 sub appearances is a different picture to "23 appearances".  Duran got 5 goals in 463 minutes 

Fofana, 10 starts, 5 sub appearances, 4 goals in 880 minutes 

Okay, fair enough, still doesn’t convince me that he’s the right signing. 

15 hours ago, Floyd25 said:

Okay, fair enough, still doesn’t convince me that he’s the right signing. 

If you look at his style of play, he absolutely fits the Maresca system.  In that respect he would be the right signing. 

What potentially stops him being the right signing is his own attitude, but that can be said of any player.  Not many were singing Cole Palmer's praises when his signing was announced. It was all luke-warm at best. But Palmer took his chances and look what happened. Romelu Lukaku (the 18 year old version) looked like being the right signing too, but look at how that turned out?

It could be that Duran just wants to play and show what he's capable of. If he gets that opportunity, maybe his alleged off-field behaviour will improve? Looking at him, I see a bit of Diego Costa in him. Very physical. Loves winding up defenders. The sort of player you hate if they're an opposition player, but that you love to have on your side.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• 1 month later...

It's sad to see this all play out, on many levels.

- the club generally making another has of things in how the operate

- an academy graduate wanting to leave the club

- a player of that caliber causing a ruckus amongst the fans

In the past I'm fairly sure the club would have conducted their business privately, supported the player who would probably have wanted to stay in finding the right deal for them and everyone would have said 'thanks for your efforts and wished each other the best'. Not to mention Gallagher would have been nowhere near the team in years gone by, but that's just my opinion .

On 03/08/2024 at 15:25, jasonb said:

If we are going for a possession based side then moving on Gallagher makes sense.

100% agree. He's a great worker, but he's not highly technical, like Mount was (is)

20 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

100% agree. He's a great worker, but he's not highly technical, like Mount was (is)

We averaged 59% possession last season, best for 5th in the league. There was hardly a big difference between us and the teams placed 2nd, 3rd and 4th in the possession table.

Arsenal and Aston Villa who finished 2nd & 4th in the league were below us in the possession table so other things like scoring goals and better shotstopping were bigger factors than keeping the ball. 

Gallagher played 37 league games for us last season. I've criticised him in the past for playing backwards a bit and not being progressive enough but what will be a huge problem is losing what he provided off the ball.

Edited by Bison
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, Bison said:

We averaged 59% possession last season, best for 5th in the league. There was hardly a big difference between us and the teams placed 2nd, 3rd and 4th in the possession table.

surprises me, but there you go. there is also a difference between good possession and meaningless possession 

1 hour ago, Bison said:

Gallagher played 37 league games for us last season. I've criticised him in the past for playing backwards a bit and not being progressive enough but what will be a huge problem is losing what he provided off the ball.

Will it? We still managed to concede an absurd number of goals with him in the team - not blaming him entirely or directly, of course.  Think he also broke the PL record for number of fouls conceded. 

On 09/08/2024 at 13:00, paulw66 said:

Was. Think Utd have broken him. Strange, that is what we usually do to players !!!

On 09/08/2024 at 13:20, Bison said:

Well, apart from being able to convert possession into goals?