General tournament chat

It's not much of a surprise. I wished a couple of my Scottish friends good luck yesterday. They wrote back to say that they thought they'd need it. 

2 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

Looks "MaStEr TaCtIcIaN" Southgate is going to ignore the midfielders in his side to play a Right back in midfield because Liverpool.

Trying to squeeze big name players in, regardless of balance.  TAA is a funny one because he can be devastating with his passing and shooting but positionally he could be a really weak link out of possession. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, JaneB said:

Were Germany just magnificent or were Scotland just awful??

I was surprised how awful Scotland were, there was one goal scored that when seen from behind the goal there was literally nobody closing down or putting pressure on the ball carrier who had all the time in the world to pick his spot. 

3 hours ago, JaneB said:

Were Germany just magnificent or were Scotland just awful??

Whenever a team wins as comfortably as that, I think it’s unfair to ever say it was just down to the opposition being poor as you need to play well to win like that, so for me it was a bit of both, but Scotland were really really poor.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Ham said:

Trying to squeeze big name players in, regardless of balance.  TAA is a funny one because he can be devastating with his passing and shooting but positionally he could be a really weak link out of possession. 

TAA is not a midfielder. He just isn’t an intelligent enough footballer to be playing there. He’ll play some lovely passes and he might get an assist or two, which will have everyone raving about him, but his weaknesses far outweigh any positives for him that position, in my opinion.

Looking at our squad and the friendlies, I’m even more surprised James hasn’t gone. I’m shocked he didn’t make the provisional squad, so Southgate could have a look at him.

22 minutes ago, JaneB said:

Morata 🇪🇸 Why didn’t he play like that for us 😔

He did Jane,,,but usually if you blinked you missed it!,,,one of my biggest disappointments at Chelsea...EPL just wasn't the right fit for him or the right time.

And as just chat not England ...seems to me the JG absence from the England set up or rather the media reaction comes down to what "they" think JG should/could/can be doing for the National team rather than what he has been doing most of this season and imho most of his career.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, chara said:

He did Jane,,,but usually if you blinked you missed it!,,,one of my biggest disappointments at Chelsea...EPL just wasn't the right fit for him or the right time.

And as just chat not England ...seems to me the JG absence from the England set up or rather the media reaction comes down to what "they" think JG should/could/can be doing for the National team rather than what he has been doing most of this season and imho most of his career.

Grealish?  Overhyped with an alcohol problem I’d say and a tendency to behave like an idiot 🙄

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JaneB said:

Grealish?  Overhyped with an alcohol problem I’d say and a tendency to behave like an idiot 🙄

Whew Jane had to re read that.....thought for a minute you were talking about a younger wilder version of a certain 😅OG not too far from here in the world of print!

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Whenever a team wins as comfortably as that, I think it’s unfair to ever say it was just down to the opposition being poor as you need to play well to win like that, so for me it was a bit of both, but Scotland were really really poor.

The goals were excellent too. Hard to defend against. Having said that I think the players were overawed on the night and let themselves and Stevie down. 

When will the Scots learn? They have been giving it the "We're not here to make up the numbers" throughout the week, fed by the very media which will feed on them in the aftermath of their demise.

• Agree 1

Just now, thevelourfog said:

Sorry everyone, I can finally watch some of the Euros today so fully expect the goals to dry up.

I'm imagining the England game will be a bore fest so not entirely on you! 

6 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I'm imagining the England game will be a bore fest so not entirely on you! 

I will almost certainly fall asleep at half time either way. 

Let's just skip to Palmer missing a penalty or getting sent off and everyone hating him, the familiarity at least will be comforting.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

I will almost certainly fall asleep at half time either way. 

Let's just skip to Palmer missing a penalty or getting sent off and everyone hating him, the familiarity at least will be comforting.

I don't think he's even going to get a game from the look of things, Southgate appears to be allowing Bellingham to play as a 10 instead of midfield and is playing TAA as a midfielder too. 

The English Pochettino. 

• Like 2

Have a bunch of friends round for the evening, so I guess we’ll turn the sound down and talk about holidays, village gossip, Englands’s chances in the cricket,  how to cook lamb, Sally’s new kitchen, the election …. Early night, then … 

• Haha 2

Mine would be if only the commentator would tell me something I can’t see with my own eyes …. “Ronaldo has the ball …  cross comes in .. that is swell”.  Why bother?