General tournament chat

35 minutes ago, Ham said:

I wasn't suggesting it was deliberate, just that a keeper should be mindful of their body shape when jumping towards an outfield player, including the position of the elbow and forearm.  

An outfield player is punished for the follow through of the other leg when tackling  regardless of whether there is actually contact but keepers are allowed to smash their way through an attacker without caution.  

I stand by what I said about his reaction afterwards though. 

Fair comment. There have been occasions in the recent past when keepers have been penalised for punching opponents when attempting to punch the ball. This was no doubt because of the PGMOL's embarrassment at the outrage when VAR failed to award a pen to Wolves at OT when the United keeper punched a Wolves player in the final minutes of the game.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, Bones said:

Indeed, quite a few defensive minded teams. Makes me wonder if that is because of the 3rd team likely to go through rule

Yeah, I think it’s a silly rule, takes away some of the excitement and jeopardy from the group stage. Teams can get 3 points and still go through. 

• Agree 2

28 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Yeah, I think it’s a silly rule, takes away some of the excitement and jeopardy from the group stage. Teams can get 3 points and still go through. 

If I were a cynical man I might think that it's because it's not about competition but money. 

Surely not? 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

I think the 3rd place rule is about less dead rubber fixtures in the 3rd round of games. 

I agree though that it's daft that 3 points can get you through as the BEST of the 3rd placers. 

2 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

If I were a cynical man I might think that it's because it's not about competition but money. 

Surely not? 

UEFA focusing on money? Not a chance, it's all about the fans and the love of the game

• Haha 2
  • Agree 1

On 22/06/2024 at 19:00, JaneB said:

Sorry @CarefreeMuratcan but you can still go through.

(Lovely to see my fav Ricci on the Portugal bench)

I knew we would lose like that. We probably will go through even if we lose against Czech and if all the expected results happen (which they have so far) we will be playing...ENGLAND!

The own goal against Portugal, the camera cut away as our defender passed to our keeper, because it was such a routine moment the camera director expected the ball to be booted up the pitch, but even before the camera cut away I knew it was about to end up in an own goal because of the keeper's positioning.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ham said:

I think the 3rd place rule is about less dead rubber fixtures in the 3rd round of games. 

I agree though that it's daft that 3 points can get you through as the BEST of the 3rd placers. 

It's a silly format, they should just up it to 32 teams and be done with it (don't see them going back to 16). The quality difference between the worst teams of this tournament and the next 8 teams that didn't qualify, is little to nothing.

Although having said that, I find it fun obsessing about all the possible permutations due to the format. I think it's a little taste of what the new European Club format is going to be like next season.

• Agree 3

On 25/06/2024 at 09:30, Ham said:

By now 3 of the 4 3rd place teams have 4 points.

Btw we should look to get some players from Georgia. They do have the right spirit (and the wine from Georgia is also excellent) 😁

1 minute ago, asvaberg said:

By now 3 of the 4 3rd place teams have 4 points.

Btw we should look to get some players from Georgia. They do have the right spirit (and the wine from Georgia is also excellent) 😁

Kvaradona running the show although he looks a bit unfit physically. Socks around the ankles always makes it look worse.  You wonder whether he would have the fitness levels for the PL. 

Never had Georgian wine though 🤔

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Ham said:

Kvaradona running the show although he looks a bit unfit physically. Socks around the ankles always makes it look worse.  You wonder whether he would have the fitness levels for the PL. 

Never had Georgian wine though 🤔

He's a joy to watch though all the same 

• Like 1

On 24/06/2024 at 12:47, Backbiter said:

I've seen some reckless stuff from keepers but I don't think he's guilty of either, based on that still. He's leading with his right arm which is way above any players' head. I can't see any evidence that he's thrown his arm at the Hungarian striker. They are both challenging for the ball, and the forearm is not outstretched. Horrible incident, no doubt, but I can't see any malicious, deliberate foul play.

I can't understand the position of the keepers forearm surely that is dangerous play?

If players do it going for headers they normally get booked.

• Like 1

On 30/06/2024 at 00:58, My Blood Is Blue said:

Another match with a ref and var from the PL equals another game with controversial decisions! I’m sure the only matches in this tournament that have had slow and questionable decisions have been the ones that have had a PL ref and VAR.

A clear reminder that VAR is not the problem in the PL, it’s those running it.

FWIW,,,,not bothered about the CopaAmerica ,,, but..watched the Brazik game last night,,foolishly hoping to see some of the Brazil samba stuff of long ago memories...not quite as bad as the Euro stuff but light years from the Legendary days,,,As someone said all teams seem to play the same game,,a stunning early free kick gave me false hope but then things returned to normal,,,

Started because of the EPL ref comment..an easy call offside was subject to the same sort of scrutinity we are becoming acustomed to...an infectious virus it seems,

Added after note,,at least the USAMNT is out...after weeks of the media here trying to convince everyone that the USA is a World Power soccer unit they now have to find a way back!

9 hours ago, chara said:

Added after note,,at least the USAMNT is out...after weeks of the media here trying to convince everyone that the USA is a World Power soccer unit they now have to find a way back!

It's nice to know it's not just England that does that. One of my Scottish friends commented on this, pointing out that all he hears from England fans is endless moaning. Had Scotland qualified, he said that there would have been national celebrations irrespective of the performances.

On 30/06/2024 at 07:58, My Blood Is Blue said:

Another match with a ref and var from the PL equals another game with controversial decisions! I’m sure the only matches in this tournament that have had slow and questionable decisions have been the ones that have had a PL ref and VAR.

A clear reminder that VAR is not the problem in the PL, it’s those running it.

And yet UEFA have taken all the PL officials they have had at the tournament with them into the quarter finals. Handing what is arguably the ‘glamour’ tie of Germany v Spain to a certain Mr Taylor. 

I fail to see the logic, but then I fail to see logic and decisions that benefit the watchers of the great game in quite a lot of what UEFA/FIFA/FA do.

Mind you, having watched that Turkish ref officiating - it almost made me think that Oliver is acceptable. 

• Agree 1

Nice to see Kante playing for France, Remember him, the one who was supposed to be finished 2 seasons before he left us by a few folk here......you know who you are!!. 

20 minutes ago, kev61 said:

Nice to see Kante playing for France, Remember him, the one who was supposed to be finished 2 seasons before he left us by a few folk here......you know who you are!!. 

He's still got it evidently but  in fairness to the board, he'd been injured for eighteen months and wanted a massive contract so I don't think we can point the finger too much. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, kev61 said:

Yes fair enough Mark as usual.

In fairness I wasn't really blaming the board - I was really commenting that some wise folk here said he was washed up years ago.

• Like 1