General tournament chat

Posted (edited)

So no Palmer AGAIN tomorrow but Gareth manages to find a new home at LCB for his pet Saka, who has done the square root of f*ckall for 6 months. 

Edited by Ham
  • Like 1
  • Angry 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, Ham said:

So no Palmer AGAIN tomorrow but Gareth manages to find a new home at LCB for his pet Saka, who has done the square root of f*ckall for 6 months. 

Presumably he feels he’s got through so far on a zero risk strategy, so why stop now? Is the team sheet fixed this early, though?

Just now, Blue Moon said:

Presumably he feels he’s got through so far on a zero risk strategy, so why stop now? Is the team sheet fixed this early, though?

Yes it's been leaked a day early for every game so far.  

Incidentally did anyone notice the appalling Southgate interview with the BBC that was shown before one of the games yesterday? 

Arrogant prick, in answer to the question "what would you say to your critics on the subject of performances?" said "I don't listen to people who know nothing about football"

Now you see where the twattish attitude shown by Bellingham comes from. 

• Agree 3

9 hours ago, Ham said:

Unfair .

Every game he beats his man.

And then hoofs the ball into the stands .

Posted (edited)

LWB, I think. Konsa, Walker and Stones are in the middle and Foden and Bellingham are 10s behind Kane. Mainoo and Rice as CMs. Not sure about RWB. Not what I'd do but what do I know.

Edited by Sciatika

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

If he's really playing Saka at LCB then sacking too good for him .

Crucifixion.

14 minutes ago, Sciatika said:

LWB, I think. Konsa, Walker and Stones are in the middle and Foden and Bellingham are 10s behind Kane. Mainoo and Rice as CMs. Not sure about RWB. Not what I'd do but what do I know.

Apologies. Typo.  I meant LWB of course but even so ....

Edited by Ham
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Sciatika said:

IMO Kane is our Ronaldo.  Slows everything down, with the team trying to find him all the time when there are better alternatives available.

I do hope if Kane is constraining the team, Gareth has the gonads to hook him at halftime, to let the team express itself without him.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

Something like this?Image

The problem with a 3-4-2-1 is that the wing-backs have to get back to support the defence without the ball and get forward when in possession. I think Saka will get caught out, leaving a big gap that Konsa will move out to cover, and Trippier will drop deep to make a four. To play a back three takes hours on the training field. Southgate's record playing a back three is not promising.

Edited by Sciatika
  • Agree 1

I think he should revert to the formation that brought him to the eye of the FA when relegating Boro. 

They must've liked that and he can point that out when they try to sack him three seconds after full time tomorrow. 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

If he's really playing Saka at LCB then sacking too good for him .

Crucifixion.

Mark!!!  I know you're only joking but that's horrible 😮

Well....for the most part so far, a somewhat underwhelming tournament..I realise I am an OG and may miss stuff now but with a rare exception or so every game seems to be the same game,,only the shirts change.

Even the occasional curious look at CopaAmerica has the same feel but as discussed with @Sciatika feels more like a "lesser" Olympics type, an "almost" , tournament, At least the  Argentina/Ecuador game had some "bite" to raise the interest level slightly but the overall feel for me is one of those midseason periods when results are important but the football across the board somewhat dire.

Palmer?... keep him on the bench,,the Gareth setup is embarrassing and the injury risk high just to save face or quiet the Media bleatings?.....if I have missed it,sorry, but how long before the Media decide Sir JG is the best player without being in Germany?

The whole "off season" Tournament scenario here and in Germany reeks of a Football Financial Scam too far...

Posted (edited)

Ok. So at the moment I will have no full English for breakfast tomorrow. Instead I will have to warm up the Swiss Waffle maker 😞

Edit: but hey, Cole just came on and England suddenly equalized😁😁😁

Edited by asvaberg

Posted (edited)

Not quite sure how he’s done it, but Southgate makes another Semi-Final, fair play to him although I really do think he’s been very lucky, can’t fault the teams mentality though. Never thought any of those players were missing a pen, all too calm. 

Edited by Floyd25
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

10 hours ago, Ham said:

Yes it's been leaked a day early for every game so far.  

Incidentally did anyone notice the appalling Southgate interview with the BBC that was shown before one of the games yesterday? 

Arrogant prick, in answer to the question "what would you say to your critics on the subject of performances?" said "I don't listen to people who know nothing about football"

Now you see where the twattish attitude shown by Bellingham comes from. 

100%

Pickford, Saka and quite a few of his boys demonstrate the same twattish attitude

2 minutes ago, Floyd25 said:

Not quite sure how he’s done it, but Southgate makes another Semi-Final, fair play to him although I really do think he’s been very lucky, can’t fault the teams mentality though. Never thought any of those players were missing a pen, all too calm. 

Very lucky indeed. England are playing with a handbrake on. Just proves on what could be if they would be let off the leash.

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, JaneB said:

Mark!!!  I know you're only joking but that's horrible 😮

MK wants GS sacked and waiting in the wings ready to go, should the mascara experiment fail 😀

Edited by ROTG

15 hours ago, Bones said:

Very lucky indeed. England are playing with a handbrake on. Just proves on what could be if they would be let off the leash.

When we went behind and he was forced to make the changes and go on the front foot, we saw exactly what we all hoped we would see in this tournament, because we have the players to do it.

Unfortunately, we have a manager who plans how not to lose rather than how to win, which is why he doesn't make changes until he has to because, in his mind, he doesn't want to risk making a change that could open things up more as it may give the opponent more chances to hurt us... whereas, for a winning coach the thought process is "What can I change to make a difference and make the breakthrough". He doesn't trust himself enough to go for the win and the kill, which then feeds through to the players and chips away at their confidence. His tactics and approach are built on preventing the opposition scoring, rather than helping us to score.

This is also why players like Kane, Saka, Walker (and if fit Magure) start every match regardless of form and performance, because he knows them and feels safe with them, whereas someone like Palmer doesn't get a look in from the start as it's too high risk for our manager.

• Agree 4