General tournament chat

On 10/07/2024 at 19:57, martin1905 said:

Do well to find a better left back in the world this calender year.......

Kyle Walker says hello. He really had a hard time when Cucu came offensive.

Two major faults, 2 Spanish goals. 

Edited by asvaberg

5 hours ago, Bones said:

That’s unfortunate, I though Walker had a good tournament overall other than the final

I do agree. But he misplaced himself so many times yesterday - really strange from a senior player with lots of routine. Maybe he's getting too slow for the game (though it was a lot of "go-slow-football" in the England matches)

• Agree 2

35 minutes ago, Ham said:

The myth that is world class Declan Rice was brutally exposed in this tournament.  

He's nothing without Odegard.  

He was poor all tournament but desperately bad in the final I thought , you need to be able to keep the ball against the better side and his passing stats were 75% and he wasn't trying anything difficult either .  We can lay the blame on Southgate for not insisting that Bellingham teamed up with him as a two in midfield instead of hiding on the left wing though to be fair. 

Arsenal and their legion of good on the internet supporters will surely put a stop to any nay saying though I'm sure . 

1 hour ago, Ham said:

The myth that is world class Declan Rice was brutally exposed in this tournament.  

He's nothing without Odegard.  

Saw a friend of mine, who's an Arsenal fan a couple of days ago and said how Rice had been found out at this level, especially compared to Rodri.

He got all defensive, as you'd expect and asked me if I'd seen his stats, most progressive passes in the whole tournaments,  apparently. 

When you have to pull out stats like that to stick up for a player, who has been woeful all tournament,  it says everything.

Arsenal fans are all attempting misdirection using Bellingham, Kane and Foden even after that shitshow from Rice.  

Whatever happened to picking players based on form? 

Watch Southgate get a knighthood for these three tournament failures.  

7 hours ago, asvaberg said:

I do agree. But he misplaced himself so many times yesterday - really strange from a senior player with lots of routine. Maybe he's getting too slow for the game (though it was a lot of "go-slow-football" in the England matches)

To be fair, I bet playing Nico Williams is a handful. I thought a number of ours were less than their usual standard. Foden, Kane, Mainoo, Walker, Saka, and Bellingham. Apart from the goal, even Palmer looked a bit lost.  

• Agree 1

Elsewhere there were a few pleasantries shared to get above inevitable,almost, Final,

The phrase World Class was used in the context of '66 and Moore/Beckenbauer,

It is laughable, or would be if not so foolish, to mention Rice in the same breath.

OG I may be but through the years, World Class,as  with all truth, has always been self evident, World Class is the pinnacle not the median as desperately misused by the media and the truly deluded.

so funny on here how people are mentioning English playerd  not being WC, yet we have a club that has spent huge amounts on players deemed WC yet their performances in a blue shirt over the past 18 months have been nothing more than shameful. 

It’s a funny old game 

6 minutes ago, ROTG said:

so funny on here how people are mentioning English playerd  not being WC, yet we have a club that has spent huge amounts on players deemed WC yet their performances in a blue shirt over the past 18 months have been nothing more than shameful. 

It’s a funny old game 

I thought you were going to wait for the game changers to come back from long term injury?

17 minutes ago, Ham said:

I thought you were going to wait for the game changers to come back from long term injury?

Which of the games changers In your opinion would have been selected for the Euros or Copacabana? 

1 hour ago, ROTG said:

It’s a funny old game 

Strange post .... who deemed anyone coming into Chelsea as World Class ?,,sorry if I missed such references..potentially WC possibly.as in anything is possible,,, Silva at his peak was undeniably WC and a remarkable player but after that some good, reputably, International players but hardly World Class in the true sense of the phrase...just saying.

38 minutes ago, chara said:

Strange post .... who deemed anyone coming into Chelsea as World Class ?,,sorry if I missed such references..potentially WC possibly.as in anything is possible,,, Silva at his peak was undeniably WC and a remarkable player but after that some good, reputably, International players but hardly World Class in the true sense of the phrase...just saying.

No disrespect “ and that’s from the heart”

name a WC player in the £1bn squad assemble by the current regime. 

my lord the prosecution rests it case 😀

Edited by ROTG

1 minute ago, ROTG said:

No disrespect “ and that’s from the heart”

name a WC player in the £1bn squad assemble by the current regime. 

my lord the prosecution rests it case 😀

Sorry..maybe I didn't make myself clear....I see no WC players in the squad at all...potentially as in anything is possible,,but with some cynicism.... as becomes an OG!

Undoubtably some good players with ceilings yet to be reached,,as in Cole.... and more than useful club assets  as in Conor..everyone regardless of the individual differences of player analysis/potential/ability more or less agrees with a broad brush regarding the squad,

World Class means WORLD class and a list of such players at Chelsea over the years and everywhere else is very small and exclusive.

Top pros by the dozens...that's why they play at the top level..but true WC ?

• Thanks 1

Just now, Sciatika said:

IMO, the age of a mature player is 27-31. Many of our players are a lot younger. I think a new manager should target 2030 at the earliest. I don't mean we should stick people in who are too young but rather build the right culture to get the best out of the players we have as they develop. That's not Southgate because he will be too old. So our decision is whether we want Southgate to manage until the next world cup or change now. The jury's out on that, (I'll be in my 70s by then so I am thinking of retiring from inetrnational duty)

48 minutes ago, Sciatika said:

IMO, the age of a mature player is 27-31. Many of our players are a lot younger. I think a new manager should target 2030 at the earliest. I don't mean we should stick people in who are too young but rather build the right culture to get the best out of the players we have as they develop. That's not Southgate because he will be too old. So our decision is whether we want Southgate to manage until the next world cup or change now. The jury's out on that,

Post card to the gruesome twosome 

He's gone. Shame it wasn't a month or two ago, but there we are ...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/live/cd163154zw1t

Gareth Southgate ends his departing words with a message of thanks to the supporters.

He said: "We have the best fans in the world, and their support has meant the world to me. I’m an England fan and I always will be.

"I look forward to watching and celebrating as the players go on to create more special memories and to connect and inspire the nation as we know they can.

"Thank you, England – for everything."

Edited by Blue Moon
  • Like 1

Just now, My Blood Is Blue said:

In time he will be judged fairly and it will be positively. Was he perfect? No, but he did very well for England and the difference from when he took over the job is huge. Ultimately, I think the team out grew him and he couldn't take them to the next level they are good enough to get too. Hopefully, the next man can.

Perfectly summed up , my thoughts entirely 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

May I also say, despite criticism for his selections, tactical decisions, and so on, he always conducted himself in a very gentlemanly manner. Fair play to him for having the courage to resign.

• Agree 2