General tournament chat

16 minutes ago, Bones said:

. Fair play to him for having the courage to resign.

Yep , a lesser man would have wheedled their way to another big contract but I think deep down he knew he could do no more 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

Yep , a lesser man would have wheedled their way to another big contract but I think deep down he knew he could do no more 

I was never a big fan, but as the old saying goes "be careful what you wish for".  They could end up with another Revie or Taylor, or frauds like Keegan and Allardyce.   Southgate's record is as good as anyone since Alf Ramsey.

Edited by blueandproud
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, chara said:

@My Blood Is Blue..think most agree with the post...I don't believe anyone disliked Gareth but he reached his ceiling a while back and couldn't take the National side any further,

In fairness he found, this time round and creeping up for a while, himself in that cursed becalmed state of National level football with basically no fully functioning "veterans" to lift the youngsters and too many precocious talented (not temperament) youngsters to put out a well balanced side,,,the idea that Cole (and others) after one full season could/should be called on by the media  as a game saver sums it up for me.

Good luck Gareth,,but as far away from SB as you can be!

I was shocked when I saw Trippier at left back, Trent looking lost in midfield and Foden drifting into central areas from the left wing.  Kane shuffling around the pitch too. This following the 1-0 loss to Iceland as our last match.

There was a lot of media talk about Southgate being shocked over being pelted by plastic beer cups in the ground inthe early matches yet when we keep in mind earlier comments to a largely football savvy country why on earth would he expect something different. I actually think the pundits were right to ask questions and it was this that kept Southgate honest yet meant he had to work his socks off to get a better balance. It got better after this criticism.

I don't see Walker or Kane being first choice in the next tournament assuming they make it. Also think Trippier's days are numbered.

Always interesting to see who gets it, like some others I would prefer someone from the UK.

• Like 1

Just now, jasonb said:

I was shocked when I saw Trippier at left back, Trent looking lost in midfield and Foden drifting into central areas from the left wing.  Kane shuffling around the pitch too. This following the 1-0 loss to Iceland as our last match.

There was a lot of media talk about Southgate being shocked over being pelted by plastic beer cups in the ground inthe early matches yet when we keep in mind earlier comments to a largely football savvy country why on earth would he expect something different. I actually think the pundits were right to ask questions and it was this that kept Southgate honest yet meant he had to work his socks off to get a better balance. It got better after this criticism.

I don't see Walker or Kane being first choice in the next tournament assuming they make it. Also think Trippier's days are numbered.

Always interesting to see who gets it, like some others I would prefer someone from the UK.

My first thought was why did Southgate think a piss poor right back would be a good choice at left back ? 

Trippier should have been nowhere near the squad let alone the first eleven .

5 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

My first thought was why did Southgate think a piss poor right back would be a good choice at left back ? 

Trippier should have been nowhere near the squad let alone the first eleven .

Idle thoughts as ever...are we looking at a "sympton" of an affliction that attacks football coaches ?..you know..like maybe drooling as a sign of rabies ?

The utter complete belief that a LB can be replaced by at best an average RB regardless of ability form or common sense ?

Dave was a rarity but it seems once a coach starts on that selection slippery slope his day are numbered..... or is this just the usual OG waffle from chara?

• Like 3