West Ham United 1 Chelsea 1

JaneB

46 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I watched the highlights of the Manchester United draw with Leeds the other day and the thing that stayed with me was the sheer amount of times Man United shot on goal.

Now , we could argue that maybe if they'd been more considered they'd have won the game but I was just reminded how little shooting opportunities we take.

In a nutshell , if you don't buy a ticket , you don't win the lottery.

Maybe GP should be concentrating on getting shots off and practising set pieces and we'd be a better side for it.

Absolutely. I had this problem with a football group I played with last night in a 7 a side game. So I have 2 football groups I play with every week, and I organised a game of one group versus the other (each group doesn't know each other, I am the only mutual link).

The group I played for lost 3-0. I was in goal (I put in a good performances btw, many shots saved, saved the score from being double or triple what it was). 

The opposition's early opener, they scored a scrappy goal which started as a shot that went wide, which deflected off the back wall, and then off the wall it rolled perfectly for someone on the edge of the box to tap in like a penalty. And that set the tone of the game.

We didn't take enough shots, we were waiting for perfect moments to shoot, but then you never get the little nicks and deflections and scrappy ones if you constantly wait for the perfect moments to shoot. When you are near goal, try and make that half a yard and go for it. Anything can happen. It could deflect in, deflect to a team mate. 

We have that old Arsenal disease of needing everything to happen perfectly and within the robotic metronome. Think of the way Drogba and Costa used to just make goals from nothing. We have nobody like that, if the machine doesn't make a chance, we can't think outside of the box.

But I think the new attackers in the brief moments we have seen them, look like they have that nous. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

Never liked this expression. It invites the point that playing the lottery is a pretty dim-witted, unlikely to be successful way if making any money.

Point taken, obviously. I just wish it was a lottery our lot weren't buying tickets for, think it's more a case of being offered unguarded lottery winnings and instead tearing the ticket up too often.

• Haha 1

West Ham will raise their game for us it is a London derby and for various reasons their fan base will love to beat us.

Also likely to commit daylight robbery against our keeper from set pieces and will our players especially the new ones be able to play together.

I think it will be a draw.

'It's about understanding it's a London derby' says Potter. Seems he is preparing his excuses whilst forgetting its also a London derby for them. Not sure I can stomach many more apologetic Potter press conferences.

Felix, Enzo, Mudryk, James, Cahill, Badiashile, Silva, Mendy all available plus (any) 3 should surely be enough to see this out comfortably.

47 minutes ago, jasonb said:

West Ham will raise their game for us it is a London derby and for various reasons their fan base will love to beat us.

Just returned to blighty and someone has got me tickets for the game, in the west ham end Doh! 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

I watched the highlights of the Manchester United draw with Leeds the other day and the thing that stayed with me was the sheer amount of times Man United shot on goal.

Now , we could argue that maybe if they'd been more considered they'd have won the game but I was just reminded how little shooting opportunities we take.

Maybe GP should be concentrating on getting shots off and practising set pieces and we'd be a better side for it.

In the one game Felix started, he must have had 5 or 6 shots. Interesting to see how he goes tomorrow

34 minutes ago, exiledblue said:

'It's about understanding it's a London derby' says Potter. Seems he is preparing his excuses whilst forgetting its also a London derby for them. Not sure I can stomach many more apologetic Potter press conferences.

Felix, Enzo, Mudryk, James, Cahill, Badiashile, Silva, Mendy all available plus (any) 3 should surely be enough to see this out comfortably.

Cahill..... bit past it.

Shots!,,as CarefreeM pointed out..the bounce etc..won't happen if the ball doesn't go that way'

Recall a lad back in the day..not a particularly good player even at the modest park level he was in..scored a lot of goals week in week out...he quoted Bobby Charlton as I remember to explain why he scored so much "If you don't shoot you don't score"..elite level coach thinking !!!!

2 minutes ago, chara said:

Shots!,,as CarefreeM pointed out..the bounce etc..won't happen if the ball doesn't go that way'

Recall a lad back in the day..not a particularly good player even at the modest park level he was in..scored a lot of goals week in week out...he quoted Bobby Charlton as I remember to explain why he scored so much "If you don't shoot you don't score"..elite level coach thinking !!!!

Michael Jordan, "you miss 100% of the shots you don't take"

3 hours ago, exiledblue said:

Agendamuch. He was filling in the gaps between the same banal questions he receives over and over and over. Anyone reading too much into taking any notice of what is said in these press conferences, needs to ask themselves what they thought was going to happen?

1 hour ago, McCreadie said:

Agendamuch. He was filling in the gaps between the same banal questions he receives over and over and over. Anyone reading too much into taking any notice of what is said in these press conferences, needs to ask themselves what they thought was going to happen?

GP mentioning Brighton that is a new one 

There is probably a high tide of expectation for this game and rightly so.

There has to be a leap forward in this game.Not necessarily  a convincing win but a sure sign of progression in tactics , desire and cohesion.

Otherwise time to move Potter on.

Christ almighty some folk think Dyke has made a massive difference with Everton in his first game in charge!.

17 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

Anyone see the press conference?

Biggest talking point appeared to be that Boehly had liked a tweet saying Cucurella wasn't good enough to play for Chelsea. 

No Kova , no Sterling . 

Not sure who the first journo was , but how these managers tolerate such rubbish is beyond me. He asked about 5 questions, all with negative connotations where he was just looking for a quote to hang on. I think it took him until his 4th question for it to be relevant to the game at West Ham.

Journo’s like that deserved to be ripped to pieces in these pressers.

Moose of Talksport: How much do you need your squad to bed in quickly? <wibble>

GP:... Well, if you listen to you guys, yes, and, obviously, optimally, I am going to say yes...I am not going to say I need them to integrate slowly.

8 minutes ago, Sciatika said:

Moose of Talksport: How much do you need your squad to bed in quickly? <wibble>

GP:... Well, if you listen to you guys, yes, and, obviously, optimally, I am going to say yes...I am not going to say I need them to integrate slowly.

The level of sports journalism in this country is embarrassing. 

Sports journalism is dead in the UK , the Mail online which many like me use purely because it's free , had fifty two "articles" before it reported on any actual games last Sunday .

They're more interested in who Ronaldos chauffeurs daughter likes at school than football.

Every actual football article is spun towards what they want to happen rather than what is actually happening and if they can make it Chelsea's fault they will.

9 minutes ago, Ham said:

Wow!  That's attacking. 

Apart from Havertz I presume you mean?

RLC given yet another opportunity. Seems he always gets to the last chance saloon, pulls something out the bag for a game then disappears back into his own personal oblivion. I hope Joao Felix stays on the pitch this time but retains some degree of the progressive ingenuity he showed in his first 60 minutes. James back is huge. Hopefully he gets through the game unscathed.

Fingers crossed for a result but momentum is everything and we don't have any.