West Ham United 1 Chelsea 1

JaneB

1 minute ago, Ham said:

That's the most disappointed I've been in Potter so far.

Not the game but the pathetic way he brushed aside the controversial non penalty. 

Get angry FFS man!!!!

He’s not being controversial, he’s just agreeing with every neutral and partisan observer. Ffs show some anger and passion. 

Well, I thought that was rubbish.

Played some half decent football for a short spell in the first half and when that died we were rubbish. 

What annoys me more than anything about Potter is the lack of any in game management or tactical adjustment, he just does nothing. We just stopped playing football once West Ham worked us out then his subs are just baffling.

Clearly robbed of a penalty, hate it when people say robbed of a win, no guarantee we'd have scored or seen the game out, still 100% penalty.

9 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

What’s not good enough is the standard of referring and var decisions. They decided it wasn’t even worth the ref going to have another look at it. 

Not disagreeing, but as I also said we shouldn't be relying on officials to win us these sorts of games either. We need to be doing better in the areas we have complete control over.

2 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

Played some half decent football for a short spell in the first half and when that died we were rubbish. 

What annoys me more than anything about Potter is the lack of any in game management or tactical adjustment, he just does nothing. We just stopped playing football once West Ham worked us out then his subs are just baffling.

Clearly robbed of a penalty, hate it when people say robbed of a win, no guarantee we'd have scored or seen the game out, still 100% penalty.

That's what frustrated me today as well, the lack of reaction to the game from Potter. I genuinely thought he was a better coach/manager than this and would spot these things and react... but he just doesn't. Doesn't seem to get angry on the sideline regardless of decisions or performances. Strange.

We had over 70% posession so it shouldn't really have come down to VAR but seriously. One decision that was blatant offside even in real time and that VAR took nearly 5 minutes to decide it was in fact a yard offside. While the second decision was again blatantly a penalty yet was a perfunctory check at best. Yes the ball hit the defender's supporting arm but he actually moved it towards the football. If the play had come to a stop and VAR had been allowed another 5 minutes to verify I'm 50% sure it would have been a penalty. As it was play was continuing and VAR panicked and waved play on to the referee.

Disappointing result but green shoots definitely showing.

Just now, xceleryx said:

Not disagreeing, but as I also said we shouldn't be relying on officials to win us these sorts of games either. We need to be doing better in the areas we have complete control over.

Well we do now kind of rely on officials and var replays to get things right these days. If the correct decision was given, chances are we win the game and folks aren’t on here saying performance wasn’t good enough. 
The narrative would be played great in patches, great goal from Felix, silly goal to give away but showed great character by keeping pressure on and getting deserved pen. Lots of positives and a welcome 3 point. Am I wrong? 

Chelsea manager Graham Potter speaking to BT Sport: “I think you could see positives in the performances for us especially in the first half. It was a step forward for us in terms of the previous game and lots to go forward with.

"We are in a process where we are getting guys up to speed, guys match minutes so the ability to sustain what we want to do is the challenge for us so there were positives in the game.

“It looks it but these are the little things you need to go in your favour and at the moment they are not so that’s life there is nothing to complain about. We have to keep working. There were positives today and some good attacking moment from players adapting to the Premier League.

“We had real control of the game and it was a cheap goal from our perspective. That lifts the crowd and makes it more difficult but that is something we have to manage better. We will get better from the experience.”

1 minute ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

That's what frustrated me today as well, the lack of reaction to the game from Potter. I genuinely thought he was a better coach/manager than this and would spot these things and react... but he just doesn't. Doesn't seem to get angry on the sideline regardless of decisions or performances. Strange.

He's not a winner, that's why. 

Those that want to win would be up and arms when denied that possibility. You don't even need to be professional, I've seen and played under sunday league managers with more passion and desire to win than Potter. He's far too content to just go through the motions and play everything with a straight bat. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

It was rubbish. Started well but didn't and couldn't respond to the equaliser. Should have had a penalty at the end, very likely would have changed the result, but the preceding performance would have been exactly the same.

But this is how it will be with Potter as our coach. Tomorrow is never coming.

I didn’t get that triple sub around the hour mark. I thought we still looked dangerous and it was an unnecessary switch. I felt Mudryk was slowly coming more and more into the match. We became a little more predictable once that triple substitution happened.

The game feels like points dropped based n how dominant we were in that first half hour.

I know I sound like a broken record, but some poor decision making again. RLC took too long to square it to Havertz early on. Chilwell had a simple pass on to Ziyech and did nothing with it in 2nd half. Poor decision is the only constant gamy by game

Just now, Thiago97 said:

I didn’t get that triple sub around the hour mark. I thought we still looked dangerous and it was an unnecessary switch. I felt Mudryk was slowly coming more and more into the match. We became a little more predictable once that triple substitution happened.

The game feels like points dropped based n how dominant we were in that first half hour.

I know I sound like a broken record, but some poor decision making again. RLC took too long to square it to Havertz early on. Chilwell had a simple pass on to Ziyech and did nothing with it in 2nd half. Poor decision is the only constant gamy by game

The change should have been Chilwell for Cucurella first, to give Chilwell and Mudryk some time on the pitch together, I think that would have made a big difference to that side of the pitch, but instead, Chilwell came on with Mount ahead of him, who tends to drift infield more often. A missed opportunity IMO.

I also would have got Fofana on with 15 to go, to give the West Ham defenders a different problem to deal with, we had become very predictable.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

He's not a winner, that's why.

I'm not in the Potter out camp as you know however you've got it spot on. He's not a lucky manager and he's not a winner (as yet). While the hottest flame burns out fastest I think the reasoning goes that Graeme Potter will never rile himself up to the point of burnout so he will be here as long as we need him. Unfortunately it means we have the managerial equivalent of beige and today we celebrated that with our choice of kit.

Edited by Holymoly

2 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

The change should have been Chilwell for Cucurella first, to give Chilwell and Mudryk some time on the pitch together, I think that would have made a big difference to that side of the pitch, but instead, Chilwell came on with Mount ahead of him, who tends to drift infield more often. A missed opportunity IMO.

I also would have got Fofana on with 15 to go, to give the West Ham defenders a different problem to deal with, we had become very predictable.

Tbh if we had Giroud in our squad it would be a massive up grade to our forward line. This is our Achilles heel. 

• Agree 1

Just now, NoblyBobly said:

Well we do now kind of rely on officials and var replays to get things right these days. If the correct decision was given, chances are we win the game and folks aren’t on here saying performance wasn’t good enough. 
The narrative would be played great in patches, great goal from Felix, silly goal to give away but showed great character by keeping pressure on and getting deserved pen. Lots of positives and a welcome 3 point. Am I wrong? 

I mean sure, all teams rely on officials making the right decisions. We've also got the power as a side to reduce the influence officials have on matches but executing our own job to a higher standard, therefore removing the reliance on decisions needing to be made. 

You can't sit there and say we were good in this particular match for anything more than 30-35 minutes. That to me is the biggest problem and what needs to be the main focus. Not that I'm pressed about the missed penalty, but it should never have come to that in the first place. We were genuinely woeful for periods, with Potter content to idly sit by and watch. 

3 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

I'm not in the Potter out camp as you know however you've got it spot on. He's not a lucky manager and he's not a winner (as yet). While the hottest flame burns out fastest I think the reasoning goes that Graeme Potter will never rile himself up to the point burnout so he will be here as long as we need him. Unfortunately it means we have the managerial equivalent of beige and today we celebrated that with our choice of kit.

I’m not in Potter out either but he needs to show some passion . And as Napoleon once said “ don’t bring me your good generals, bring me your lucky ones”. 
If he’s not a lucky coach then we should swop at seasons end. 

2 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

I'm not in the Potter out camp as you know however you've got it spot on. He's not a lucky manager and he's not a winner (as yet). While the hottest flame burns out fastest I think the reasoning goes that Graeme Potter will never rile himself up to the point of burnout so he will be here as long as we need him. Unfortunately it means we have the managerial equivalent of beige and today we celebrated that with our choice of kit.

This is the biggest concern I had with Potter when he was tipped to take over. There is no "x-factor" to him as a manager. You gander around at all the other top managers and they've all got a little bit of an ego, a chip on their shoulder, or a pure desire to win every match they head into. This mentality then rubs off onto the players and you begin to see a culture being build. I don't dislike Potter and he's not the worst manager out there, but he's not cut out (at least so far) for the demands of competing at the pointy end. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

5 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

I mean sure, all teams rely on officials making the right decisions. We've also got the power as a side to reduce the influence officials have on matches but executing our own job to a higher standard, therefore removing the reliance on decisions needing to be made. 

You can't sit there and say we were good in this particular match for anything more than 30-35 minutes. That to me is the biggest problem and what needs to be the main focus. Not that I'm pressed about the missed penalty, but it should never have come to that in the first place. We were genuinely woeful for periods, with Potter content to idly sit by and watch. 

Not wishing to go round in circles with this, but under TT near the start of his tenure we were dull dull and fortunate with many results. This bothered no-one because results are the main thing. Doesn’t matter if you get it from a dodgy pen or a stick on one. Once that penalty taker picks the ball out of the back of the net and places it back on centre circle spot, nothing matters. 

we did enough to win today. Had two “goals” marginally off side ( one super tight) and a stick on pen not even looked at by ref. Of course if that pen happened at 4-0 who cares. But we have a lot of very new faces in that team. I think it’s reasonable to let them bed in before nailing the coach to the cross. 

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

Correct Martin. 
witness the game from upper heights of the stadium. After 10 minutes West Ham had work out where to closed down spaces. 
Felix and Enzo arguing summed up the whole game. 
No game plan, tactics or coaching. Sorry there might have been some instruction of giving Felix the ball and hope for the best. Again didn’t take long for West Ham to work that out. 

GP and his coaching staff have turned the club into a mid table PL side, how much longer can TB let this madness go on. 

• Like 1