West Ham United 1 Chelsea 1

JaneB

Didn't see the game but I don't have had to after reading from all posts how, very clearly, the game was.

The overall impression is of a sadness at the lack of "something" from GP...as ever no one is calling him names or screaming for his head but apart from the green roots type comments (again) there seems to be no real progress.

I'm sure if anyone cares to go back to past games the immediate post game comments will be eerily familiar.

GP and his "team" are not good enough for a top EPL side regardless of reasons that can be put out about results..injuries, new players yadda yadda.

Mid table safe zone at best,

Tomorrow never comes..it is always today!

2 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

we did enough to win today. Had two “goals” marginally off side ( one super tight) and a stick on pen not even looked at by ref. Of course if that pen happened at 4-0 who cares. But we have a lot of very new faces in that team. I think it’s reasonable to let them bed in before nailing the coach to the cross. 

Looks completely different live. 
It’s so bloody obvious that GP and his coach staff are way out of their depth. 

Madeke, Madryk should not be in a Chelsea starting 11. Brighton maybe. 

• JaneB changed the title to West Ham United 1 Chelsea 1

In the second half we attempted to play the ball out from the back via Kepa 5 times. 2 of those times we kept possession and made it into their half and 3 times we did not. Their goal in the first half came from an attempt to play out leading to lost possession. 
just an observation. 

Edited by NoblyBobly

“It looks it [a penalty] but these are the little things you need to go in your favour and at the moment they are not so that’s life there is nothing to complain about.” - Graham Potter

My god this man is so inspirational. I'd follow him into battle in a heartbeat.

I don't want him to get banned Jose style but seriously can he not just say SOMETHING about the blatant injustice we just suffered? There absolutely is something to complain about.

46 minutes ago, Ham said:

Along the lines of "oh well, these things happen". 

Potter needs to understand that his reaction to these kinds of incident has a detrimental effect on many levels beyond his studied image of reasonable man, perhaps the most important one being the ease with which the officials will be able to continue to shaft the club in the knowledge that there will be no opposition, let alone a comeback. His failure to understand that the fans DO have a hand in his continued presence at the helm and his consequent disdain for their estimation of his lack of passion show a certain arrogance on his part. He has made bo effort to engage with supporters over the poor form and seems equally inert with the players during the game. I am running out of patience with him.

23 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Neither are , I've never heard of either of them.

Sorry being bounce along on a tube.

Madueke, Mudryk. Brighton starting 11 under potter level.  not anywhere near the starting 11 under any of Chelsea’s  previous coaches. 

Edited by ROTG

The shape of the team is there. The intent in the first half particularly was there and we got in behind them a couple times.

The obvious thing is the team lacks intensity at the moment. Kai Havertz is also woeful at the moment.

Honestly it is a coaching issue but firing Potter seems like such a Roman Abramovich move.. I'm not sure that's the type of culture Boehly and co. wants to create at Chelsea tbh.

It's a bit concerning to see some of our new signings already getting a bit of flack and rated not good enough to start games. 

We need to remember we have spent a huge amount of money on players who we think might become real quality in another season or two, but at the moment they are not at the the level to get us back into the top four let alone challenge for the title anytime soon. Imho, we still look short of the the VVD and Alison level game changing signings for our team. Still a lot of time and money needed to get us back up there.

• Like 1

Just now, boratsbrother said:

It's a bit concerning to see some of our new signings already getting a bit of flack and rated not good enough to start games. 

We need to remember we have spent a huge amount of money on players who we think might become real quality in another season or two, but at the moment they are not at the the level to get us back into the top four let alone challenge for the title anytime soon. Imho, we still look short of the the VVD and Alison level game changing signings for our team. Still a lot of time and money needed to get us back up there.

I’ll be honest, when I start reading stuff like that from people, I switch off to it. Ridiculous statement been made about two of our new signings on here.

20 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

Given who the poster is that said it. It holds zero weight.

19 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

I’ll be honest, when I start reading stuff like that from people, I switch off to it. Ridiculous statement been made about two of our new signings on here.

Precisely. Players being judged on about 2 hours worth of football. Imagine if spurs did that with Bale or Arsenal with Pires. 
Just a terrible attempt at trying to look smart early. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

1 win in the last 7, only 7 points from the last 21, no away win since October. Only Everton, Leeds, Palace and  Bournemouth have been worse in that time.

And the form before that was dreadful.

Potter has a win percentage of 42% as Chelsea manager, that’s the worst of any Chelsea manager in the last 27 years. That’s since Ruud Gullit was our manager.

I’m really struggling to find positives or reasons to stick with Potter to be honest. I understand we’ve had injuries, players leaving and lots of new players in etc… but, where is the line? How bad does it have to get before we have to accept that this guy is not the answer to be in charge of the great rebuild of the club? If we’re not at the line, it has to be close surely?

My concern is that if we get these initial years of the rebuild wrong it’s going to set us back a lot.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Potter has a win percentage of 42% as Chelsea manager, that’s the worst of any Chelsea manager in the last 27 years. That’s since Ruud Gullit was our manager.

I’m really struggling to find positives or reasons to stick with Potter to be honest. I understand we’ve had injuries, players leaving and loss of new players in etc… but, where is the line? How bad does it have to get before we have to accept that this guy is not the answer to be in charge of the great rebuild of the club? If we’re not at the line, it has to be close surely?

I honestly don't know. My suspicion is it will be allowed to stay this way all season, not really getting worse but not getting better, and Potter will get the sack if (when) we're still a nothing side 5 or 6 games into next season. And that will be because enough time will have passed for the owners to pull the trigger without feeling they've embarrassed themselves. I suppose the unknown is how they'll react to us going out of the CL. I'd be utterly amazed if they aren't expecting that, but it is the last route to a trophy and CL money next season and it being formally gone might trigger something.

I get why people want to give managers time, I get why not wanting to is framed as reactionary. But it is clear to me watching us that this man is not a Chelsea coach, not a coach for a top side or one who aspires to and actually wins things. No amount of time is going to make him that. Any other job, your first 6 months is a probation period where you're let go if it becomes immediately clear you don't know what you're doing.

• Agree 2

5 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

I’m really struggling to find positives or reasons to stick with Potter to be honest. I understand we’ve had injuries, players leaving and loss of new players in etc… but, where is the line? How bad does it have to get before we have to accept that this guy is not the answer to be in charge of the great rebuild of the club? If we’re not at the line, it has to be close surely?

Gets worse, it's 31% in the league and we now average 1.31 points per game. This is over 16 games, so nearly half a season, where we have  W5 D6 L5 and scored just 15 goals. 

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

I honestly don't know. My suspicion is it will be allowed to stay this way all season, not really getting worse but not getting better, and Potter will get the sack if (when) we're still a nothing side 5 or 6 games into next season. And that will be because enough time will have passed for the owners to pull the trigger without feeling they've embarrassed themselves. I suppose the unknown is how they'll react to us going out of the CL. I'd be utterly amazed if they aren't expecting that, but it is the last route to a trophy and CL money next season and it being formally gone might trigger something.

I get why people want to give managers time, I get why not wanting to is framed as reactionary. But it is clear to me watching us that this man is not a Chelsea coach, not a coach for a top side or one who aspires to and actually wins things. No amount of time is going to make him that. Any other job, your first 6 months is a probation period where you're let go if it becomes immediately clear you don't know what you're doing.

I think he could be gone after Dortmund, I can't see why we would keep him around after that, it will do more harm than good. The only reason to keep him is whoever we have lined up, and I have no doubt we have someone, Jose is my guess,  isn't available until the summer but even then I'd get rid of him and bring in anyone else to prevent further damage.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Holymoly said:

Beginning to give me Werner vibes

Wow. Took 2 starts. One of which he was ill 

2 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

The difference between Chilwell and Cucurella is day and night.

The difference in quality was instant to see. 

Get Fofana on, need to give them something different to think about. We look like we’ve run out of ideas to try and break them down.

Not sure why he isn't getting more of a look in 

2 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

Phew!! Got away with that one.

Got away with.... A clear offside? 

They took long enough to call it offside, it was clear the minute you saw the first replay.

They took seconds to rule out our two, seconds to rule out the penalty and about 5 minutes trying to work out how Rice was onside. 

2 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

But stupid free kick given away.

Yes, idiotic 

2 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

Another really poor result. Some positives, some mitigation, but then there always is, isn't there. At some point I'd just like an actual result. 

A draw at West Ham is generally OK in isolation. And if var does its job, we likely win the game. 

2 hours ago, Proud-Blue said:

How did it take them so long to work out this was offside?! Image

Bizarre. Needed one replay to see it. Was convinced it was going to be given after the length of time it took 

1 hour ago, NoblyBobly said:

Tbh if we had Giroud in our squad it would be a massive up grade to our forward line. This is our Achilles heel. 

He's actually be ideal now we have speed either side. 

1 hour ago, ROTG said:

Madeke, Madryk should not be in a Chelsea starting 11. Brighton maybe. 

Is this a new record? Two players written off after 3 starts between them. 

Overall, first half was positive, second half we lost our way. Screwed by Var, as usual, but what do people honestly expect when a starting XI has 5 new players in it? This isn't a game of Fifa. 

2 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

In those 16 games we have only beaten Palace, Wolves, Bournemouth and Villa.

Only 2 of them have been away and I believe we’ve only scored more than once away this season in two games (Palace and Villa). It just is not acceptable to be completely honest, regardless of injuries, a top manager manages to find a way.

I really try and fight ever saying I want one of our managers out, but I’m very close to cracking with Potter. I just do not think he’s good enough to manage at the level we should be at and I don’t think he has the right mentality either.

The form from some teams above us is questionable at the moment, so top 6 and Europa is still achievable, but it needs a sharp turn around in form asap and I genuinely believe we only get that from a top manager coming in. I’m not sure who that would be as the most likely candidates already have jobs and I can’t see the club paying to get another manager out of their contract. Poch would be the most likely I would imagine (I’m not saying he’s the king term answer).

• Agree 1

No point in complaining about Potter as he’s clearly going to get another season in charge. Still looks like a patched up side with plenty coming back from injury. Promising signs are there with Felix and Fernandez who are class upgrades. You hope they can lift those around them and you can see the difference that a fit Chilwell and James will have. 

Personally I think Aubameyang should start over Havertz as he’s a proper finisher and can only benefit from James, Felix and Fernandez picking out balls for a striker, but it doesn’t look like it’s going to happen.