1. 1. What will the result be?

• Netherlands win in 90 mins
    • Netherlands win AET
    • Netherlands win on penalties
    • England win in 90 mins
    • England win AET
    • England win on penalties

This poll is closed to new votes

Please use this thread for all posts relating to England's Semi-Final match against Netherlands at the BVB Stadion Dortmund before, during and after the game.

The match is scheduled to kick off at 20:00 hours on Wednesday, 10th July 2024 (Local UK time/date) (Live on ITV1)

I'll copy this here so you can all tell me what an idiot I am. Fire away.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would stick with three at the back and bench Kane in favour of Toney.

------------------- Pickford

----------Konsa----Stones----Guehi

Saka------------Rice-----Mainoo-------Shaw

--------Bellingham --------------Foden

----------------------Toney

I would look to bring in energy (Palmer, Eze, Gallagher) at 60' not 75' and have Kane and Watkins on the bench if Toney is struggling. Southgate will probably revert to 4-2-3-1 with TTA in midfield and Trippier on the left.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Sciatika said:

I'll copy this here so you can all tell me what an idiot I am. Fire away.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would stick with three at the back and bench Kane in favour of Toney.

Saka------------Rice-----Mainoo-------Shaw

--------Bellingham --------------Foden

I would look to bring in energy (Palmer, Eze, Gallagher) at 60' not 75' and have Kane and Watkins on the bench if Toney is struggling. Southgate will probably revert to 4-2-3-1 with TTA in midfield and Trippier on the left.

When Palmer came on he always improved the team - just an observation from someone who couldn't give a shit about the euro's, but I thought it was worth mentioning for our boy.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Agreed. I see him as a disrupter. He would give us an injection of pace and something different to confuse defences. So, he could replace one of the AMs or for, say, Mainoo, playing on the left with Bellinghman going more central as #10. It would be a 3-3-3-1, something like below, but with a very fluid advanced midfield that constantly swaps positions.  

------------------------Rice

Saka---------------------------------------Shaw

--------Palmer---Bellingham ---Foden

I am going to have to get out the time machine again so the players can train the formation, do patterns of play and set-piece work.

If it were me, I would start with a team closer to the one that finished the quarter final. I would be much more attacking than we have been and take the game to the Dutch. This obviously isn't going to happen, but it's good to have a dream.

Pickford

Walker - Stones - Guehi - Shaw

Bellingham - Foden

Saka - Palmer - Gordon

Toney

Foden has offered little at this tournament, mainly because he has played out of position, but nonetheless, Palmer has looked much more of a threat and handful for defenders in his cameos throughout. Gordon over Eze for me, to help give us some pace and width. 

What we will see, I think is a continuation of the back 3, but with Guehi in for Konsa and Shaw off the bench again. 

The hope is Koeman won't have Holland press us all over the pitch like Switzerland, Slovakia and the rest did. I think if they focus on creating room and playing their game (which is the Dutch way) we will have a lot more joy from our attacking threats if they aren't being pressed off the pitch. 

England - like Chelsea - have always looked better when given room and time to play. 

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

If it were me, I would start with a team closer to the one that finished the quarter final. I would be much more attacking than we have been and take the game to the Dutch. This obviously isn't going to happen, but it's good to have a dream.

Pickford

Walker - Stones - Guehi - Shaw

Bellingham - Foden

Saka - Palmer - Gordon

Toney

Foden has offered little at this tournament, mainly because he has played out of position, but nonetheless, Palmer has looked much more of a threat and handful for defenders in his cameos throughout. Gordon over Eze for me, to help give us some pace and width. 

What we will see, I think is a continuation of the back 3, but with Guehi in for Konsa and Shaw off the bench again. 

That probably should be the team

Sadly; no chance. 

Edit - presumably that's Rice, not Foden at DM?

Edited by paulw66
  • Agree 1

Just turned the news on and they interviewed three generations of England supporters out there tonight . 

There was Grandad Terry

There was Son Terry

And there was little Terry. 

They all think we're going to win. 

Which is quite a feat of imagination given the lack of it on show. 

• Haha 1

Kane has to be hooked at HT. 

9 of the outfielders have guile and movement and then there is Mr Kane. 

Ronaldo MK ll

Edited by ROTG
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

Just turned the news on and they interviewed three generations of England supporters out there tonight . 

There was Grandad Terry

There was Son Terry

And there was little Terry. 

They all think we're going to win. 

Which is quite a feat of imagination given the lack of it on show. 

Face egg,

Egg Face. 

Never a pen, but delighted to make the final, Southgate-ball is hardly thrilling to watch, but the man gets the job done to be fair, stopping Spain will be very difficult though. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, asvaberg said:

Well done Palmer/Watkins 😁

Palmer makes things happen, doesn’t play easy passes and Watkins is a class finisher, shame England won’t start either of them in the final. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

10 hours ago, chara said:

That was a very harsh penalty decision. Given against England (or Chelsea) how would you feel?

Still..they all count.

Hmmm----what if this was us in a cup final against Sp**s, we are 0-1 down with 1 minute left to play,  and Jackson tried to shoot like Kane but couldn't complete the shoot properly as he was blocked by Romero in the same way Kane was? Definitely a penalty, right?? 😁

Edited by asvaberg
  • Haha 1

England in another final… can they go one further and win it?! I think we’d stand more chance of winning it without Kane on the pitch to be honest, but that’s never going to happen.

Penalty was incredibly harsh and I’d be furious if it was given against my team, but in this context I don’t care. England have had plenty of bad luck at international tournaments, so it’s nice to see a bit fall our way. 

You have to hand it to Southgate, he’s incredibly lucky if nothing else!

9 hours ago, Floyd25 said:

Never a pen, 

1 hour ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Penalty was incredibly harsh and I’d be furious if it was given against my team, but in this context I don’t care.

If the roles were reversed (defender clearing it and the attacker caught him), it would be a free kick ALL DAY.

If it had happened outside of the box, it would be a free kick ALL DAY.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Floyd25 said:

Palmer makes things happen, doesn’t play easy passes and Watkins is a class finisher, shame England won’t start either of them in the final. 

Southgate put them on when the game was stretched so they only had one man marking them. 

Palmer creates the chance and Watkins first touch despatches it, excellent.

If we are honest apart from the goal Palmer by my count gave the ball away twice and blasted wide, of course that won't be remembered and he will be credited with the assist.