Chelsea 2 Wrexham 2

JaneB

Please use this thread for all posts relating to our Pre-Season Friendly match against Wrexham at Levi's Stadium, Santa Clara before, during and after the game.

The match is scheduled to kick off at 03:00 hours on Thursday, 25th July 2024 (Local UK time/date)

The Wrexham PR machine here,and I have a soft spot for Wrexham from way back, really just reinforces my totally biased disdain for the average American Soccer follower (not fan)...I don't include other exiles from real football countries !

23 hours ago, chara said:

The Wrexham PR machine here,and I have a soft spot for Wrexham from way back, really just reinforces my totally biased disdain for the average American Soccer follower (not fan)...I don't include other exiles from real football countries !

They feel the same, when a Brit starts talking about netball or rounders. 

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, ROTG said:

They feel the same, when a Brit starts talking about netball or rounders. 

(Hey ROTG I know your post is meant with a smile and I smile with you.)

That's true but it's not the real soccer followers over here who are the problem, for me, it's the instant experts..little Jenny is playing at school and now Mommy knows the game inside out..an extreme example but go from there!

Read a recent article in The Guardian (yeah I know) breaking down the abysmal Fox pundit covering of the Euros and Copa America which led me to a similar one regarding the WC...hit the nail on the head.

When I was working I made a point of keeping up with the Denver Broncos and other local sports teams.(still do)....I didn't pass opinions and listened to people who did know what they were talking about. 

A fellow workmate was a Chelsea man through and through and we could discuss things sensibly.

Not as serious a post as it may come across but the Game here has a long way to go in terms of set up and as it stands until a better way is found of showcasing the game on the same competitive domestic level as other real powers it will stay a lesser, although with pretensions of grandeur, Football entity.

Just my humble view somewhat oversimplified.

And..Wrexham ?..a great sporting story and one I am glad to see but really... ?..

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is such a crazy pre-season schedule. Playing 5 games in two weeks in probably crap pitches and not taking account of the travelling. I guess this is the reason we are taking 29 players to the U.S

Edited by Miguelito07

58 minutes ago, Miguelito07 said:

This is such a crazy pre-season schedule. Playing 5 games in two weeks in probably crap pitches and not taking account of the travelling. I guess this is the reason we are taking 29 players to the U.S

The first 2-3 matches will probably mostly feature players that won't even be part of the first-team squad during the season. It's partly fitness work, but more than anything fulfilling a fixture in order to make money. This makes sense that we're playing Wrexham, then Celtic, then Club America. I don't think we'll see a serious team until we play Man City and Real Madrid, before the home match against Inter. Three friendlies just to make money, then three to actually prepare the team for the season (and make more money).

• Like 2

Interesting aside stating other players will join the tour at a later date,,,I assume Conor and Cole at least.

The exorbitant cost for me to attend any game is emphasised by the fact I could go to Wrexham specifically, but any other game, and only see an "interesting" Chelsea lineup...fine if it's a trip across London to SB but to pay the sort of cost it would entail for me to get to any game is unacceptable if I cannot see at least the basis of the first team and,again, specifically Cole Palmer and Conor.

I think I've got the tour on tv stream .

On 22/07/2024 at 22:58, Floyd25 said:

I’ve read that each pre season game is gonna cost us 5 quid to watch, although I’ve not seen that confirmed. 

Fancy that!! Higher home ticket price for the friendly vs Milan and now £5 for internet based viewings of some meaningless games.

8 minutes ago, east lower said:

Fancy that!! Higher home ticket price for the friendly vs Milan and now £5 for internet based viewings of some meaningless games.

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining."....

"What loyal fan base?...just get the investment earning."

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, chara said:

Hey Bob..I'm watching on ESP and it's a terrible picture,,started ok but went wobbly after 5 minutes,,how is your picture?

OK. I've paid the £4.99 for the official feed.  As the 'day' progresses (and it's 3:40 am here!) so my eyesight gets worse and more blurry... especially if I've already spent hours working in front of a screen.  MS is a bugger!

1-0 at half time.  Wrexham have looked sharper, but this is their 3rd pre-season game. We've looked better as the game has gone on. Tyrique George has looked decent, but neither Noni Madueke nor Marc Guiu have managed to really get into the game, partly down to Wrexham's compact 5-3-2  There's very little space anywhere and we've not got our one-touch passing sorted yet.

• Agree 1